Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: Quick Fixes And Helmet News

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes updates some fixes and gives news on visible helmets.

Character Rollback Issue Fix

We have fixed an issue that was causing a very small amount of players to experience rollbacks. This fix will go in with the next patch, and should solve nearly all rollback problems.

Visible Helmets

Visible helmets are high on our list of things to do. Many of our artists are currently taking some well deserved vacation time after working themselves silly for the last several months - however, as soon as they are back, work on these will begin. We will keep you updated!

Read more here.

Comments

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094
    Like any 1 at sigil deserve a vacation, with any luck they will crash on a deserted island and live their lives running away from polar bears.  And even they they will try and bumpmap everything.

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    How is it that 3.5-4 years down the road they need a vacation?  What, exactly, were they doing that whole time?

...cause it definately wasn't code...

Or maybe that's what they did!  They let the artists code. "This letter looks pretty, lets put it there... how do I add a specular map to the letter a?"

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• TedDansonTedDanson Member Posts: 513

Already 2 trolls have come out of their caves with their clubs at the ready!

Anyway, on topic, helmets should've been in update #1 seeing as they are pretty important. Whatever, my character doesn't even have a helmet currently so I am not really concerned about it just yet.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

What a trvial little piece of "news." Please stop putting everything this game does down as news. Hardly anyone is even playing it, so nobody cares about a tiny little tweak. in a game only a tiny percentage of the game market is even playing.

Brad ate a bagel for breakfast. News at 7. Give me a break.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

ROFLMAO

V:SoH is so  HARDCORE, you don't even have to die to lose Exp, Loot, and Levels.   Now,  *that*  is some Hardcore gaming.

But, not to worry.  Soon you will be able to see some Helmet graphics!

Put a Helmet on that guy, will ya!

• FerretboyFerretboy Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by CaesarsGhost

How is it that 3.5-4 years down the road they need a vacation?  What, exactly, were they doing that whole time?

Or maybe that's what they did!  They let the artists code. "This letter looks pretty, lets put it there... how do I add a specular map to the letter a?"
    CG, you should show some professional courtesy!  Or... are you no longer the community manager at Rapid Reality??
  • YukkioneYukkione Member Posts: 618
    Shoal said "

And that would make V:SoH what?  The most Unpolished Turd in all of gaming?

Anyway.  Last post here.  Sorry for the short hijack."

So make it your last post here. If you're not playing VG just stay off this board as you said. We know you don't like the game. Now that VG has been out over a month how about the people that havent played the current game just take your advice.

As to the topic...Of the over two hundred people in my guild I know of only a few that have expierienced a roll back. Having this fix will be welcomed but the problem hardly affected the whole player base. Helmets would be nice but I really don't care.
  • DentoDento Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by Shoal

ROFLMAO
    V:SoH is so  HARDCORE, you don't even have to die to lose Exp, Loot, and Levels.   Now,  *that*  is some Hardcore gaming.
    But, not to worry.  Soon you will be able to see some Helmet graphics!
    Put a Helmet on that guy, will ya!

LMAO

that was funny

But I don't understand why they want some of this stuff to go public when people are just going to bash them.

They keep saying how hard they are working to fix bugs and get missing pieces(like helmet graphics) in place but then they say most of the artists are on vacation so we'll get to when we get them back. I guess they can't get to it without the artists so why even make the statement. People who have paid for the game that feel that it's incomplete don't want to hear that and it really does make you ask the question what have they been doing all these years? I guess a couple months work with a couple months off will set your production back a bit.

/shrug

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360
    Originally posted by TedDanson

Already 2 trolls have come out of their caves with their clubs at the ready!
    Anyway, on topic, helmets should've been in update #1 seeing as they are pretty important. Whatever, my character doesn't even have a helmet currently so I am not really concerned about it just yet.

Yeah.. I guess I am a troll too, because my first thought was that none of those guys should be on vacation right now.  They launched a game in a terrible, buggy, half-finished state, and decided now that the cash is flowing in, it's time to take a vacation.  That may be the least professional thing they have done so far... and that's really saying something.  What makes it seem so bad to me is that they acknowledge the fact that the game was launched early and that they have a lot of work to do to get it in shape... right after vacation.

As far as helmets go.. they should not have been in update #1, they should have been in at launch.  To be clear, helms are in the game, they just aren't visible.  If the game didn't even have helms and they were being added, that would be new content.. something to crow about... but the fact that they are finally resolving a bug that should have been handled prior to launch... please. 

Brad is so disconnected from the real world.  He lives in this time-warp where it's still 1999 and people only have one or two options for an MMO to play.  He is surrounded by yes men, I assume they have to kiss his butt to keep their jobs, as they don't seem to work very hard or be particularly good at what they do.  No one outside of handful of fanboys think this game is anywhere near as great as Brad does.  He honestly believes it was OK launch the game is shit-shape, as long as eventually they get things ironed out.  That attitude might have flown 5 years ago, but now there is quite a bit more competition in the MMO market.  By the time this game is in a playable state, in a year or two when we all have machines that will run it, there will be 10 other big name MMOs competing for the same subscriber fees.  This game can barley draw a crown when it's only competing against the last generation of games.  I think he is in for a rude awakening when he is vying for shelf-space against Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Star Trek Online, Gods and Heroes, Stargate worlds and the 500 Korean MMOs that are releasing in the next 12 months.  In a year this game will be another bad, dark and light, memory.

Maybe he already realizes this, and he is like the band on the Titanic, smiling and playing on as the ship goes down... but I don't think that is the case. I think he has spent so much time getting his ass kissed for his accomplishments nearly a decade ago that he is detached from the reality of todays gaming market.  You fanboys do him a great disservice by perpetuating the attitude that everything is peachy... despite every single review of the game shining a spotlight on the truth... this game wasn't ready for release, not even close.... and when it is finally running fairly bug-free, it will still be a clone of a 10 year old game.  Here's hoping this is the last time any publisher trusts him with their money.

• somonekilwowsomonekilwow Member UncommonPosts: 96
    too bad im still playing this game just waiting for somthing to come out thats decent and wont be a let down

<iframe src="http://www.wowarmory.com/character-model-embed.xml?r=Malorne&cn=Ashkin&rhtml=true"; scrolling="no" height="588" width="321" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Originally posted by Ferretboy

CG, you should show some professional courtesy!  Or... are you no longer the community manager at Rapid Reality?? No longer.  Trust me, if you think that's bad you should see what I've said about Phylon (RR's current release).

I sortof have professional respect for Sigil.  My respect stops when it takes more patience cause of crashes to run the retail game then it takes to run Alpha's on the market.  I've got 2 GE boxes... I'm pretty upset.

That and there's a huge difference to a "Self Proclaimed WoW Killer" and some small Indy studio release... there's just more expected.

- CaesarsGhost

"When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Yukkione

Shoal said "

Anyway.  Last post here.  Sorry for the short hijack."

So make it your last post here. If you're not playing VG just stay off this board as you said. We know you don't like the game. Now that VG has been out over a month how about the people that havent played the current game just take your advice.

As to the topic...Of the over two hundred people in my guild I know of only a few that have expierienced a roll back. Having this fix will be welcomed but the problem hardly affected the whole player base. Helmets would be nice but I really don't care.

It was my last post on a *different*  thread.

It is my pleasure to come here on the V:SoH boards and expose the VanBoiz for the liars that they are.  I don't like the game.  I don't like the people running it.  And I certainly don't respect a few of the folks playing it, and who are pushing it as something worth playing.

And, you say that you personally, out of all the thousands and thousands of V:SoH players, actually know a number of players that have been Rolled-Back by the game?  Do you realise how many actual players that must have been hit by that, if you personally know a number of them?   The actual number of Roll-Backs must be huge!

Anyways, V:SoH deserves all the bad press that all the cheated purchasers can heap upon it.  Perhaps I would be more forgiving if I had been able to get a refund for the unfinished product I was sold.  But, since there was no refund, then V:SoH deserves all the bad press I can muster.  If only to prevent one more soul from getting Ripped-Off.

• FariicFariic Member Posts: 1,546

People don't deserve a vacation after 4 years?  Man, everyone should have your work ethic then the world would be perfect.

VG isn't the first game to release without helmets, but unlike some they are being added.

I do agree though.  I wish this site would stop linking new of this game just so that the stooges that keep posting hate threads can have a vacation to.

Originally posted by Fariic

People don't deserve a vacation after 4 years?  Man, everyone should have your work ethic then the world would be perfect.

VG isn't the first game to release without helmets, but unlike some they are being added.

I do agree though.  I wish this site would stop linking new of this game just so that the stooges that keep posting hate threads can have a vacation to.

Ya know... I can't remember the last time I took a vacation for myself that wasn't just 1 day (which was my birthday and I was getting a conjugal visit... and I worked from home to be honest).

Every other vacation was for a purpose of my parents or siblings request for a birthday or holiday or (upcoming) weddings.

Even sick days... I don't take em.  I go to work when I'm sick...

- CaesarsGhost

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

Ya know... I can't remember the last time I took a vacation for myself that wasn't just 1 day (which was my birthday and I was getting a conjugal visit... and I worked from home to be honest).

Every other vacation was for a purpose of my parents or siblings request for a birthday or holiday or (upcoming) weddings.

Even sick days... I don't take em.  I go to work when I'm sick...

I feel sorry for you. Take at least a months vacation and discover life, maybe play some with your kids if you have any or spend some time just relaxing. I'm 100% sure it will do you good

I really enjoy Vanguard, but I am also questioning putting a thing like this in the news section, do you put all games bug fixes in the news?

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by cupertino
    Like any 1 at sigil deserve a vacation, with any luck they will crash on a deserted island and live their lives running away from polar bears. And even they they will try and bumpmap everything.

As unnecesary as that is, I do find the comment about bumpmapping everything funny.

Originally posted by Amathe
    What a trvial little piece of "news." Please stop putting everything this game does down as news. Hardly anyone is even playing it, so nobody cares about a tiny little tweak. in a game only a tiny percentage of the game market is even playing.
    Brad ate a bagel for breakfast. News at 7. Give me a break.

Nobody playing, eh? No one (should have) expected it to top WoW, but I consider it in the same league as EQ2, and although most of the trolls on these boards think that's a poopy league, it's certainly much more than "a tiny percentage." I think I should point something else out. This update was intended for the people who do play the game. Nobody is making you read this.

That and there's a huge difference to a "Self Proclaimed WoW Killer" and some small Indy studio release... there's just more expected.

Okay, Mr. Troll, find for me, if you will, one place where anyone from Sigil has ever proclaimed Vanguard to be a WoW-killer. As I recall, Brad specifically said it would not be a WoW-killer after numerous fanboys started foretelling the end of WoW. Just because you expected something to happen and got let down doesn't mean it was ever supposed to happen.

A few more things. First, these little updates they keep emailing me about are... pretty annoying. This is trivial news. In fact, it's not even an update. It's just sort of a "We're on it!" Plus, helmets really should have been in at launch, or at least in Update #1. They have screenshots of helmets! Some NPC's even wear turbans. Where's my turban, dammit?!

Second, why the *%&# do people keep coming around here and trashing Vanguard? Do you honestly have no lives at all that you spend ALL DAY ranting about a game you don't like, may or may not have played, and have no intention of playing, unprovoked, in that game's forum?! Oh, that's right. They're trolls.

Finally, the only negative thing anyone can ever seem to say about Vanguard is its bugs. YES, it has bugs! They patch every week with numerous bug fixes. Do they get them all? No! Do I care? No! Face it, the game is totally playable if you have the computer it's meant for. Every class in the game feels like a finished class, crafting is fun and worthwhile, and diplomacy is something totally new. When all the noticable bugs are cleared, the only thing left will be a damn good game. Sadly, there won't be as many people around to see that, but will I care? Do I really want to be playing the most popular game in the world? No. If all I cared about was the game's popularity, I'd still be playing WoW. I judge a game by its content, not the number of subscriptions.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by Shoal
    Originally posted by Yukkione
    Shoal said "
    Anyway.  Last post here.  Sorry for the short hijack."So make it your last post here. If you're not playing VG just stay off this board as you said. We know you don't like the game. Now that VG has been out over a month how about the people that havent played the current game just take your advice.As to the topic...Of the over two hundred people in my guild I know of only a few that have expierienced a roll back. Having this fix will be welcomed but the problem hardly affected the whole player base. Helmets would be nice but I really don't care.

It was my last post on a *different*  thread.
    It is my pleasure to come here on the V:SoH boards and expose the VanBoiz for the liars that they are.  I don't like the game.  I don't like the people running it.  And I certainly don't respect a few of the folks playing it, and who are pushing it as something worth playing.
    And, you say that you personally, out of all the thousands and thousands of V:SoH players, actually know a number of players that have been Rolled-Back by the game?  Do you realise how many actual players that must have been hit by that, if you personally know a number of them?   The actual number of Roll-Backs must be huge!
    Anyways, V:SoH deserves all the bad press that all the cheated purchasers can heap upon it.  Perhaps I would be more forgiving if I had been able to get a refund for the unfinished product I was sold.  But, since there was no refund, then V:SoH deserves all the bad press I can muster.  If only to prevent one more soul from getting Ripped-Off.

So you admit that you're a troll.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• aerogradaerograd Member Posts: 53

Maybe it's just me since I've only been playing VG a couple of weeks now and many bugs have apparently been fixed since launch. I am not getting the huge amount of bugs that I hear about on the forums though. 

I have had mobs warp on top of me, or even behind me. I stop dead in my tracks for several seconds when crossing a chunk line.  I have seen some NPC hovering in mid-air.  Of course I don't see the helms, but that doesn't bother me really.  I have had a couple of quests that I had to abandon and then get them again later to get them to work.  But these aren't big deals to me.  Certainly within what is expected at the launch of an MMO.  I played SWG on launch day while so many ppl were saying it was buggy and unfinished and stuff.  The best times I had in SWG were those first few months before the changes started coming!

I understand some problems are due to ppl's PCs.  Here is what I got (recently bought mainly for the purpose of playing several of the new MMORPG coming out within the next 6-18 months):

eVGA nFORCE 680i SLI mobo 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo

1 GB Corsair DDR2 800

NVIDIA GeForce 7950GT 512MB

XP Pro SP2

What are some of the other supposedly game killing bugs that people are seeing?? 

Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I managed my expectations better with VG since I had very high hopes for Dark and Light at one time too.

Playing WoT now.

Favorite All-Time Games: Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Lord of the Rings Online

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Okay, Mr. Troll, find for me, if you will, one place where anyone from Sigil has ever proclaimed Vanguard to be a WoW-killer. As I recall, Brad specifically said it would not be a WoW-killer after numerous fanboys started foretelling the end of WoW. Just because you expected something to happen and got let down doesn't mean it was ever supposed to happen.

A few more things. First, these little updates they keep emailing me about are... pretty annoying. This is trivial news. In fact, it's not even an update. It's just sort of a "We're on it!" Plus, helmets really should have been in at launch, or at least in Update #1. They have screenshots of helmets! Some NPC's even wear turbans. Where's my turban, dammit?!

Second, why the *%&# do people keep coming around here and trashing Vanguard? Do you honestly have no lives at all that you spend ALL DAY ranting about a game you don't like, may or may not have played, and have no intention of playing, unprovoked, in that game's forum?! Oh, that's right. They're trolls.

Finally, the only negative thing anyone can ever seem to say about Vanguard is its bugs. YES, it has bugs! They patch every week with numerous bug fixes. Do they get them all? No! Do I care? No! Face it, the game is totally playable if you have the computer it's meant for. Every class in the game feels like a finished class, crafting is fun and worthwhile, and diplomacy is something totally new. When all the noticable bugs are cleared, the only thing left will be a damn good game. Sadly, there won't be as many people around to see that, but will I care? Do I really want to be playing the most popular game in the world? No. If all I cared about was the game's popularity, I'd still be playing WoW. I judge a game by its content, not the number of subscriptions.

First:

I'm not a troll.  I got into game and it crashed regularly... there's no reason for me to have to type "/flush" ever 30 mins... what's that about?

I read about the "Self Proclaimed WoW killer" a year ago in PC Gamer.  Twas on the cover.

Second:

I have the computer... unless you cound the E6600/GF8800/2G-DDR2 something that shouldn't be able to run the game.  Last I checked, all my hardware was listed on "Gamespy's Hardware Configuration of 07"... shouldn't it run the game in that case?  Why are the requirements higher then Crysis?

Third:

How is it that so many people I know got burned by Vanguard, and we speak ill of it... even on these boards there's tons of people.  It would appear, from my position, that you're a Troll.  I think you're the Troll...

After all - The only difference between a Troll and a Fanboi is which side of the fence they stand on.

...I'm totally putting that in my sig!

- CaesarsGhost

• flood950flood950 Member Posts: 447
    Originally posted by aerograd

Maybe it's just me since I've only been playing VG a couple of weeks now and many bugs have apparently been fixed since launch. I am not getting the huge amount of bugs that I hear about on the forums though. 

What are some of the other supposedly game killing bugs that people are seeing?? 
    Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I managed my expectations better with VG since I had very high hopes for Dark and Light at one time too.
    I have been playing for a few weeks and IMO most of the nastier bugs are gone.  I have not had a CTD in days and use to get them almost every 20-30 minutes.  Monsters no longer randomy disappear and I havnt had any inventory issues.

I dont really have any complaints about the game but I had zero expectations going into it..I had barely even heard of VG...I just picked it up as I was waiting for a new MMO to tide me over until AoC and its been surprisingly fun to play.
  • Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

You are assuming that they haven't had a vacation in 4 years.  That's a pretty big assumption, and I'd bet my bottom dollar that you are wrong on that one.
  • RPGBeechRPGBeech Member Posts: 171

To say Vanguard has bugs is like saying that the ocean has sand or that Tiger Woods can play golf.  

Doesn't give you a feel for scale does it ?

You say "the game is playable if you have the computer it was meant for".   Gee I thought you bought

a game to play on your computer, not go buy a computer to go with the game you just bought.  Though

if they had put the specs of the right computer or the computer it was meant for on the box, perhaps

people would not have been so ticked off.   But hey it is not every game that can claim they lost 75

percent of their customers in the first month of release.

You say every class in the game feels like a finished class ?  Obviously your definition of the word

finished and mine are very different.  Just ask other people who play Disciples, Bards, and Rogues if

their class feels finished.  I think you will find your definition of finished differs from theirs as well. 

It is apparent you are not a programmer or you would never make a statement like "All the noticeable

bugs" because it is impossible to get rid of all noticeable bugs.  The reason is that it depends on

WHO
    is doing the noticing.   I guarantee you that hell will freeze over long before ALL the noticeable

bugs are fixed.

You judge a game by its content ?   You are unique to say the least.  Most people will stop playing a

game when they no longer find it enjoyable as opposed to stopping because some new game is

released that has more content.   To each his own.
    Originally posted by aerograd

I have had mobs warp on top of me, or even behind me. I stop dead in my tracks for several seconds when crossing a chunk line.  I have seen some NPC hovering in mid-air.  Of course I don't see the helms, but that doesn't bother me really.  I have had a couple of quests that I had to abandon and then get them again later to get them to work.  But these aren't big deals to me.  Certainly within what is expected at the launch of an MMO.  I played SWG on launch day while so many ppl were saying it was buggy and unfinished and stuff.  The best times I had in SWG were those first few months before the changes started coming!
    I understand some problems are due to ppl's PCs.  Here is what I got (recently bought mainly for the purpose of playing several of the new MMORPG coming out within the next 6-18 months):
    eVGA nFORCE 680i SLI mobo 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo

1 GB Corsair DDR2 800

NVIDIA GeForce 7950GT 512MB

XP Pro SP2

I upgraded frome the ATI 1300 to the Nvidia 7950.  I LOVE IT.  Damn fine gfx card, and well worth the money.  Runs VG like a charm. 

CG, man take a vacation.  Everyone needs to get away from work every now and then; I imagine more so when you work from home.  Hell, I need a vacation from home after I've had a vacation from work.

Originally posted by RPGBeech

To say Vanguard has bugs is like saying that the ocean has sand or that Tiger Woods can play golf.  

Doesn't give you a feel for scale does it ?

You say "the game is playable if you have the computer it was meant for".   Gee I thought you bought

a game to play on your computer, not go buy a computer to go with the game you just bought.  Though

if they had put the specs of the right computer or the computer it was meant for on the box, perhaps

people would not have been so ticked off.   But hey it is not every game that can claim they lost 75

percent of their customers in the first month of release.

You say every class in the game feels like a finished class ?  Obviously your definition of the word

finished and mine are very different.  Just ask other people who play Disciples, Bards, and Rogues if

their class feels finished.  I think you will find your definition of finished differs from theirs as well. 

It is apparent you are not a programmer or you would never make a statement like "All the noticeable

bugs" because it is impossible to get rid of all noticeable bugs.  The reason is that it depends on

WHO
    is doing the noticing.   I guarantee you that hell will freeze over long before ALL the noticeable

bugs are fixed.

You judge a game by its content ?   You are unique to say the least.  Most people will stop playing a

game when they no longer find it enjoyable as opposed to stopping because some new game is

released that has more content.   To each his own.

Upgrading your PC is a part of PC gaming.  If you can't figure that out then you are going to be very disappointed come 2008.

The games you see being released for the 360 and PS3 are going to have one hell of a time running on systems built 6 months to a year ago.

Upgrade your PC and stop being a baby about it.  If you can't afford it then oh well, find a cheaper hobbie.  Like scrap booking.

You remind me of my brother who said he wouldn't spend 500 dollars to play a game on his PC, then he went out and spent 600 on a 360 and a couple of controllers.  Pretty funny considering I spent less then half for the exact same gaming experience, and to play a lot of the same games.

Get off the I shouldn't have to upgrade kick.  It's the dumbest thing you can say when talking about PC gaming.  You do have to upgrade, get over it.

Originally posted by Deathstrike2

You are assuming that they haven't had a vacation in 4 years.  That's a pretty big assumption, and I'd bet my bottom dollar that you are wrong on that one.

You're assuming that they have had one in those 4 years.  That's a pretty big assumption, and I'd bet my bottom dollar that you are wrong on that one.

See, now both of us made an assumption neither can prove.

Dig a little deeper for things to argue over why don't you.