Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: Developer Diary: Invention System

MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758
Matt Miller, the Lead Designer for City of Heroes / City of Villains drops by to give us an exclusive developer journal about the game's Invention System.

Ever since City of Heroes launched, Jack "Statesman" Emmert has been interested in adding an "out of combat" system to the game...something that gives players gameplay outside of the typical combat scenarios that City of Heroes has to offer. Originally this was going to be a Skill System, where you could train up in various skills and accomplish tasks during missions that would otherwise be unavailable to your character. We went through about six versions of this system, ranging everywhere from a "card game" style where you completed skill objectives using your Skill Deck, to something nearly identical to the combat system with "Skilling" objective objects, to defeat its "Idea Points".
Check out the entire Dev Diary here.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

Comments

• IpcryssIpcryss Member UncommonPosts: 169

This looks very cool; I haven't played CoH or CoV in awhile but this could draw me back.  The lack of some type of meaningful long term drop always bugged me about this game.  The examples in the diary showed inventions for levels 30 and above.  Does anyone know if the invention system will be available to lower level players?  Thanks!

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777
    Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure that it'll be enough to get me to come back.  The updates to the game come just too slowly to hold my interest.  Hopefully, they'll offer a free trial for people to come and check it out.
  • Originally posted by Ipcryss

This looks very cool; I haven't played CoH or CoV in awhile but this could draw me back.  The lack of some type of meaningful long term drop always bugged me about this game.  The examples in the diary showed inventions for levels 30 and above.  Does anyone know if the invention system will be available to lower level players?  Thanks!

Yes the inventions system applies to characters starting at lvl 1.  The mechanical wings you saw in the picture can be crafted with the system by any  lvl 1 character even if they haven't earned wings through vet rewards.  There is also an auction house in Atlas Park so that if you have a rich lvl 1 toon, you can buy what you need to craft.  Keep in mind though that the example they gave (Numinas Convalescence) won’t be usable till lvl 30 so if you craft it at one you'll be sitting on it for a while.

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780
    See, I didn't even think of those wings being a physical manifestation of what your making. I was thinking along the lines of the same-old power Enhancements with a new name and that don't become useless. Of course, I was reading this at like 3am, so...
  • RodgerPWRodgerPW Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I've played CoH and CoV for a bit but was looking for more to do apart from the fighting. When I read this it sparked my interest again. I might give it another go once the updates are live.
  • TheKrakenTheKraken Member Posts: 154
    Originally posted by Kane

See, I didn't even think of those wings being a physical manifestation of what your making. I was thinking along the lines of the same-old power Enhancements with a new name and that don't become useless. Of course, I was reading this at like 3am, so...
    No, its two seperate things.  There is salvage and recipes that will let you craft enhancements or costume peices.  You can even craft inspirations, or so they have stated.  Though why they think you'd waste salvage on something you can buy for 50 influence is beyond me.
  • ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

I've really enjoyed the team combat in CoH especially.  I've always enjoyed being a healing or buffing type of character in online games.  I have sometimes wished though that I could do something non-combat related to just chill out, or enhance my character in some way.  This new invention system seems like it will address that feeling nicely :).

I also heard some mention of being able to craft costume pieces.  I hope that is part of I9 because I would really love to be able to customize my gear :)  I'd also like to give parts to friends.  When I played another online game I loved finding a rare item and giving it to a friend that I knew was looking.  That's fun stuff.

Also, having come from an online game where expansions almost always nearly broke the game completely, I don't mind waiting a bit longer for a quality product.  I appreciate that the issues are generally released in a polished and playable form.  Good work guys, and thanks for all the effort.  Thanks also for scrapping ideas that you thought the players wouldn't like.  You have a good thing going, and it's important to make addtions carefully I think.

Arc

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Yes they did say that there will be costume pieces you can make.  The mech-wings being the most shown.  They won't let you fly but like the vet reward wings they will flap and such as you jump and fall I'm sure.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by DrowNoble

Yes they did say that there will be costume pieces you can make.  The mech-wings being the most shown.  They won't let you fly but like the vet reward wings they will flap and such as you jump and fall I'm sure.
    Weeha!
  • ThunderkorThunderkor Member Posts: 1
    I'm pretty much in agreement with Deathstrike2.  This doesn't seem like nearly enough to lure me back to the game.  And I was once an avid fanboy, and superheroes is probably my favorite genre.
  • joereed1joereed1 Member Posts: 140

This is a great feature for the game, I posted just the other day about CoH lacking something because of no crafting, and here it is.

Now if they could make the instances random so they didn't all look like 1 of 10 standard layouts, I'd be back to the game in a flash.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Yea this system should add that little something that CoX has lacked for a long time. I cant wait for it. The test server is being used right now for closed beta-testing of the system and the devs say it'll open up again for open testing likely by mid march. :D It usually stays on test for a month, sometimes more, then goes live. I'd expect this thing in late spring. Probably mid-late May.

As to crafting your own inspirations. I think what makes doing that worth while is you create your own CUSTOM ones. :) I cant wait to mess around with the invention system on the test server, and I cant wait for it to hit the live servers as well. :D

• XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148
    2 year Player says: This Is Just Not Enough for me to Keep Playing this game.. Ncsoft Needs to Release the Things that was Supose  to Have been released When the Game was Launched Or Should Have released with Issue 7 or 8, What Am i talking About?? IOP's 'Items of Power' its a Joke that they made Iop's a Main Selling Point Of the Game when it was released, and Still Have yet to Make them a Permanet feature in the game, but only released them for a month or so in game, then took them away.. second, Lvl 50 unlockable AT's

Bar None they Should Have been released with issue 8, still no talk about them in issue 9 is a joke!

• TehWarsmithTehWarsmith Member Posts: 19
    You need to stop with the caps. Thanks.

And as an avid and decently long time player I think this will be very, very interesting and fun. The base item salvage was a cool idea, but it never really got off the ground because once you built the base parts it cost an absurd amount to place them, there wasn't really any point. Only thing salvage was good for was looking at, some of it was pretty neat. But now we're going to have an actual crafting system out of it.  And the best part is that they won't be absurdly more powerful than normal enhancements, so if someone doesn't want to craft and just use plain old enhancements, well that's fine. Should be cool.

“Everything’s standard pattern! This is the Imperial fething Guard! Standard pattern boots, standard pattern mess tins, standard pattern bodybags! I’m a standard pattern infantryman, you’re a standard pattern no-neck, and any second now my standard pattern fist is going to send your nose bone back into your very sub-standard pattern brain!” – Sergeant Ceglan Varl

• XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148
    My point is, Now that i have been thru the grind over and over toon after toon.. they expect me to start grinding for personal salvage now? I rather grind for with epic toon with some with some new content for personal salvage. Not Braging here, But I have 6 Lvl 50 Villains along with a few others. If they expect me to keep playing i like to start a "epic" unlockable toon, you know  when u hit lvl 50, 6 times on villains, and it says each time in those big bright flashing letters "YOU HAVE UNLOCKED A EPIC CHARACTER" Or somthing Like that, Just to Find Out that you still can't make one.. Makes you feel like somone just took a dump on ur head. Come on Ncsoft, All I'm Asking for is what you have promised us. Lvl 50 Epic Toons, And Items Of Power. Lets get these 2 things released into the game before you start talking about other stuff..