Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monk vs Bruiser: What's the difference?

JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

I need to know aside from one being evil and the other good, what is the difference between the two. Also, how does the average group view a monk and a bruiser? Is one better than another in a group? What about solo? What does a Monk and Bruiser excell at? I'm trying to decide which class I want to be. I am a DE Bruiser now, but depending on how you answer the questions, I might betray and become a monk.

Thank you

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

Comments

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Ive only tried out the Bruiser, but from what i have heard they slightly edge out the monk on DPS and are slightly better soloing.  I think if a group was forced to choose between the monk and the bruiser, they would take the bruiser nine times out of ten.
  • milhoan6milhoan6 Member CommonPosts: 580

I agree with Flem but I'd also like to add that even though a Bruiser can out-dps a monk, the monk is still a fantastic soloer. My main is a 50 monk and he is great taking on solo mobs and can normally take down blue heroics. My monk is sometimes used as a tank in groups. I have noticed as I go up in levels, I am needed more and more for dps roles instead of tanking roles. Either way, you can't really go wrong with either a monk or bruiser, but if you want a more offensive-type tank I would choose a bezerker over a monk or bruiser anyday.

• NiberNiber Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Flem

Ive only tried out the Bruiser, but from what i have heard they slightly edge out the monk on DPS and are slightly better soloing.  I think if a group was forced to choose between the monk and the bruiser, they would take the bruiser nine times out of ten.
    You don't group much do you?

Bruisers can only self mend while Monks can mend other players.  Monks can also can pull with tsunami which makes them immune. Monks also have group FD.

All of which make them better than Bruisers as group members.
  • NecianNecian Member Posts: 73
    I've yet to play a monk, but I'd say in the grand scheme of things there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two. There may be a few differences in skills, but in the long run they both are very good at beating the crap out of things. They both solo very nicely too, as I solo'd my 44 bruiser up almost entirely without a group. They also are pretty decent tanks for groups when no plate tanks are available (I know some would argue this) because of their high avoidance ability. They're better tanks with a druid than a priest due the priest's reactive heals and the monk/bruiser's avoidance. One of the few groups I ever tanked for was down in the Ruins of Varsoon and I did perfectly well against heroics.

This probably hasn't done much to answer your question, but again, I would say there aren't a whole lot of differences in the long run. But they're fun to play. =P