Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth: GDC Report

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Garrett Fuller had the chance to catch up with the folks from Icarus Studios, the makers of Fallen Earth, for a talk about their upcoming MMORPG.

Here at GDC this week we got to see a lot of games. One of them is a unique MMO that has been on the radar for a while and plans to offer players something new in genre. That game is Fallen Earth. For those who have not seen the game, it is a post apocalyptic world where the earth has fallen prey to disease, nuclear war, and general devastation. The remaining human survivors have formed into groups who live in the area of the Grand Canyon. These factions each have ways of believing that they are the ones to save humanity. From the savage to those who believe in law and order the six factions of Fallen Earth eventually fight it out for control. Think of a world with the look and feel of The Road Warrior and game mechanics that cater to player tastes and you've got Fallen Earth.

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
      From what I've been able to glean about this game its coming along really well. The comment about voice modulation really

caught my eye though. I know they can do it. I mean I have software that can make me sound like a woman if I want.

In a game though.. Wow very nice touch. Albeit I personally like to roleplay myself in a game so  vivox really will open

up some grear RP. Looking foward to seeing more on the game
  • FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

Well i like the Road Warrior theme (or The Postman?), and i like that it's Skill based, and the character gx remind me of Anarchy Online; overall though the gameplay mechanics described in the review seem pretty generic for all mmogs today.  Hope they can somehow infuse the world with the same feel as the first 2 RW films - it wasn't just about  crazed characters running around doing random "stuff".  imo that's the flaw with all mmogs these days, player actions have no significance on the game world As A World. 

• StowawayStowaway Member Posts: 165
    "encouraging players to sign up for Beta now."

Wha? AFAIK they're not, there's been no announcement regarding sign ups.

Clarification?

And yeh, FE rocks. Cover it more damn you.
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

I now demand beta sign up else I seu mmorpg.com for the mental damage it will do to me if we aint getting them ^^....anyway. We can only hope this is not an misunderstanding on MMORPGs site or did the devs forgot they have not started Beta sign-ups yet ;)

• ThonyThony Member Posts: 215

As a player you gain AP points through crafting. It is possible in the game to reach maximum level simply through crafting. Here is the great part about Fallen Earth, you can set up your crafting queue and then craft offline!

emmmmmmm

I WAS intrested in this mmo but ....emmmmmm

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Thony

As a player you gain AP points through crafting. It is possible in the game to reach maximum level simply through crafting. Here is the great part about Fallen Earth, you can set up your crafting queue and then craft offline!
    emmmmmmm

Crafting is also very involved. It takes place in real-time, so to speak. Harder things to craft can take days. You also have to rely on others to bring you needed items that you can't access your self. So whether you are online or off during that process, it will still take the same amount of time,see? Otherwise, if something takes 24 real hours to craft and you can only play 1 or two hours a day, you'd take forever just to craft 1 thing depending on how intricate it is.

So have no fear, it's not an "easy mode" button.

Originally posted by Zorvan

Originally posted by Thony

emmmmmmm

Crafting is also very involved. It takes place in real-time, so to speak. Harder things to craft can take days. You also have to rely on others to bring you needed items that you can't access your self. So whether you are online or off during that process, it will still take the same amount of time,see? Otherwise, if something takes 24 real hours to craft and you can only play 1 or two hours a day, you'd take forever just to craft 1 thing depending on how intricate it is.

So have no fear, it's not an "easy mode" button.

pfooeiii thanks m8 it got me worried there and it makes allot more sence now and "yup"  intrested again, Thanks
  • angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Offline progression doesn't bother me but I'm still concerned about that AP concept.  In the only other skills-based games I have played you need to use a skill very frequently to improve it.  This AP concept sounds like you might be able to earn AP by kife fighting and then use those AP to improve your driving skill.  Is that the intent?  If so most people will find the easiest, fastest source of AP's and use that skill exclusively to improve everything else.  I really hope that isn't the way it works.
    Originally posted by angus858

Offline progression doesn't bother me but I'm still concerned about that AP concept.  In the only other skills-based games I have played you need to use a skill very frequently to improve it.  This AP concept sounds like you might be able to earn AP by kife fighting and then use those AP to improve your driving skill.  Is that the intent?  If so most people will find the easiest, fastest source of AP's and use that skill exclusively to improve everything else.  I really hope that isn't the way it works.
    Thanks .......worried again  but still remain abit sceptical untill tried meself, atleast it made some more sence before but so does this unfortunly ...thanks Angus858 ...
  • daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Sorry, all I can think about right now is the perfectly molded rear-end of that one female in the third screenshot they have...

You might say I am excited about this game. 
  • LaxsithLaxsith Member Posts: 6

Wow this game looks awesome...a zombie MMO...always wanted one of those, I have one question though, how much is it gonna cost?

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Icarus studios continues to add the polish and are encouraging players to sign up for Beta now.

Are you sure this is right? The FE website has no beta sign-up.

They turned their old beta sign-up into the newsletter sign-up a long, long time ago and there's not a single mention on the FE site of beta.
  • suskesuske Member Posts: 714
    newsletter signup is beta signup.
  • green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by suske

newsletter signup is beta signup.

I really don't see how.

Once upon a time it was explicitly a beta sign-up. Then they deliberately removed any mention of beta.

If, as the author of this article claimed, Icarus were actively encouraging players to sign up for beta, then there'd be some indication of this on the FE website. There isn't.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Laxsith

Wow this game looks awesome...a zombie MMO...always wanted one of those, I have one question though, how much is it gonna cost?
    More than likely, the same as the standard for other games.
  • ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

1) No elves, not even space elves.
    2) Guy in one of the SS is wearing an Exploited t-shirt.

On those two points alone, my interest is piqued.

• CaabCaab Member Posts: 20

I have not done a great deal of research into this game, but it sounds to me like the lvling system will be very similar to stawars galaxies back when it was popular.  I say this because in SWG you could achieve maximum lvl by simply crafting or you could have your character as focused in one area as you would like or have skills branching out over seceral different areas of the game.  To me the key for this games success is going to be how the enhancements (or whatever they were called) tie into the skill system and how much they will be able to make your character unique.

Very excited to see how this game progresses and am very happy to see a game that isn't so heavy on the fantasy.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Caab

I have not done a great deal of research into this game, but it sounds to me like the lvling system will be very similar to stawars galaxies back when it was popular.  I say this because in SWG you could achieve maximum lvl by simply crafting or you could have your character as focused in one area as you would like or have skills branching out over seceral different areas of the game.  To me the key for this games success is going to be how the enhancements (or whatever they were called) tie into the skill system and how much they will be able to make your character unique.
    Very excited to see how this game progresses and am very happy to see a game that isn't so heavy on the fantasy.
    May i ask which version of Starwars galaxies you have played? i do recall crafters could make top lvl in the crafting department but we could not lvl-up in anyway similair to what i read about Fallen Earth, asfar i can tell you lvl up with crafting and your overall lvl will rise not only the crafting part in FE...am i right?
  • IoxaIoxa Member Posts: 8

I've been following this game for awhile now and I have to say it sounds better everytime I hear something new about it. I really think these guys are looking to cater to all the people out there that don't want to play the same old MMO again. The crafting system sounds incredibly deep and complex, something alot of people will enjoy. Hopefully the economy is well thought out and the loot system compliments the crafting instead of making it worthless. Not sure what to think about the PvP yet but with all the diffferent factions and their different views on how to save humanity I see alot of potential for PvP having a place in the story and driving the game forward instead of being thrown in because people might want to PvP once in awhile. If everything goes smoothly and the game is launched without any major bugs I think there will be alot of people out there that will happily hand over money every month to play it.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

This game sounds great, which is new, tired of hearing about same old same old games. Skill system game is what I've been waiting for since they ruined all SWG. The fact that crafters can also gain AP is nothing but a bonus and will draw more players to it. Oh and the fact that is it not fantasy and a big big bonus, that genre has been run into the ground so much its not even funny.

The starwars I remember crafters could craft and get points to upgrade their crafting tree and master crafting professions, the game went crappy when they started adding "levels" based on what skills you had and mastered.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

I do not care for skill-based games, and this crafting system sounds nightmarish to me.

But you guys have fun if this is what blows your skirts up!

• adriradrir Member Posts: 101
    Vivox is cool! Loving it!

Yes, there are zombies! They plague Newton at the moment! Checkout the screenshots on the main site!

FAQ says cost will be competative with other mainstream MMOs, arranging international distribution is already happening!

AP is independent of levels. Being level 15, does not automatically make you better than a level 10 as that level 10 could have a heap more AP just by doing missions that give players AP!

Progression through the Tradeskills are independent of Attribute/Skill/Mutation progressions. Tradeskills will progress automatically through practice (crafting, salvaging, etc.), while the others attribute/skill/mutations require AP.

You gain EXP via crafting, killing things, quests/missions, etc. EXP will raise your level. You gain AP as you level up (recieve 2 AP at increments of 10% to next level) and through doing quests/missions.

Crafting is easy! Although it has a large time component, but you may craft while doing other things such as enjoying PvE, PvP or even when offline! You gain EXP for crafting, although the efficiency is alot less than doing quests/missions, killing things, etc.

Icarus have not announced any dates for the B-word, and in my opinion will likely start an independent sign-up process when they do as my details have changed alot since I signed up for the newsletters!

Please read the Questions of the Week on the Fallen Earth Forums to verify/learn more! Everything is subject to change as it is still in development.
  • suskesuske Member Posts: 714
    this game is a lot like swg in the good days. better in some ways. no classes, learn whatever you want. crafters aren't stuck just crafting,

they can fight and explore too. most importantly, crafted items are better than drops. the more i hear, the more i can't wait to try it!!!
  • nexus42nexus42 Member Posts: 288
    This actually sounds very interesting, thanks for the article.

...Pika

• DvolDvol Member Posts: 273
    Ap points think XP and from what i read you spend those Ap points in any skill you want or profession so to speak..If you want to be Melee/healer then you wouldnt spend your AP on rifles...Allowing me to choose what i want to be in any combo i so chose is a big big plus in my book..That and  Zombies are allways fun to beatup!! Plus this game is doing what many others arent..Its not following any current MMO clone like say the last 5 have..Im Hoping that this will be the Precu of 2007 and ive allready made up my mind that i will buying it when it becomes available..If its all that ive read im sure it will be a nice new change from the same ole same ole...Madmax+Zombies+Fallout+Skills+Sandbox= a game for me...