Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any other games like this exist?

I just wanted to know if you guys could help me. After playing ffxi for over 3 years, I feel like I've finally got my fill of exploring this world and I must say I've had a blast in this game, its got to be the best game I've ever played in my life, the hard work, the skill involved, exploration, all of it, I've loved it.

In an attempt to move on to a new game I've played Wow to 60 and then it quickly got old and i quit, then I tried this game called last chaos which just lacks content, you can explore the whole world in a matter of hours. At first wow was awesome, but it lacked the community of ffxi, after a year i only knew a couple people, where i knew hundreds of people in ffxi. not to mention the lack of stable party system, I ended up soloing clear to 60 due to a lack of a good party system in wow.

what i want to know is, is there any other games out there even remotely close to ffxi?

I like how complex the party system is with the skillchains and how classes rely on each other, everyone has a role to play, you can't just throw together any old bunch of players, people actually have a role to play in ffxi.

So are there any other games out there to try even close to this? or have i just come to the end of my mmorpg life?

thanks guys

Comments

• RinicRinic Member Posts: 715
    None yet.
  • HakikoHakiko Member Posts: 103

After leaving FFXI (for similar reasons) I really enjoyed my time in L2. It is a big world that like FFXI is fun to explore. Sure there are cheating issues with the game (bots) but FFXI has alot of these same problems (Chinese NM farmers). L2 does have more of a teleport system which allows for more instant travel than FFXI has but its limited and the world is a blast to explore with many classes etc.

Now I am in Vanguard. Its buggy. But it is party based with a huge world to explore like FFXI. I am enjoying myself and they are making constant updates to combat the buggyness (make no mistake it is buggy). If you are into exploring and grouping this one is a good one to try.

• RyuukoGoRyuukoGo Member Posts: 235
    Originally posted by Rinic

None yet.

I agree...there are other MMORPG's that are similar...but none that would keep me playing for more than a few months.

• mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747

There ins't a game/MMO that has this kind of system or likeness to FF. Although i would say this Job/class system is interesting, i actually liked it alot cuz you have a lot to do to just get your class/job and it allows for many choices farther in the distance. Being able to switch your class on the go with the same char was awesome too so you don't have to start over and make an entirely new char.

• ArrowArrow Member UncommonPosts: 16

I've been a member of MMORPG for nearly 2 Years now. This is my first post as i feel need to post in this thread. My first MMO was FFXI back in the beta. I played it from the beta to about 6 months ago when I quit. I've tried many many (countless) other MMO's and even gotten into alot of mmo betas (LOTRO) And sadly I have yet to find another MMO in which has the unique features that FFXI had. All and I mean ALL of the other MMO's that i have played have been purly quest based.. I'm tired of doing quests MMO Devs! STOP! NOT ANOTHER QUEST! The single most thing i loved about FFXI was the party based system with skillchains and how classes rely apon another. Not another god damned quest.. You gain exp by going out and killing mobs with a full party not just soloing ALL of the way to the highest level... Please I beg you MMO Devs make another game that's similiar to that...

• SweedeSweede Member UncommonPosts: 209
    Plenty  of good ones out there, maybe not like FFXI but in someways i'm glad, the interface in FFXI was the part i disliked the most, wonder if they can make it more weird if they try :D

I currently play eve,eq1,eq2,vanguard,matrix,swg(all on station access so all for one price) , anarchy online and wow.

I like wow a lot, not into the highlevels yet but it feels like i can make progress with fairly low time, what i really hate is the bloody ganking that takes place, sure i play on a pvp server so some fighting is to be expected but when you are lvl 27 and get ganked by 2 lvl 70's about 10 times it is not exactly fun, i think there should be some kind of level limit on pvp like it is in anarchy online.

Vanguard seems like it can be nice with some nice crafting skills, but if no one plays it so you can sell stuff it might fall on it's face anyway, the system reqs might turn of some people to.

• LazzerusLazzerus Member Posts: 99
    I left FFXI awhile ago after I felt I had enough.  I have to say FFXI was the best mmo I have ever played, and I have been searching for one that I can get as much out of as I did with FFXI but I have yet to find one.  I tried coming back once, but after I found out my character was no longer around, and I had to restart I just couldn't do it.  I had hopes for Vanguad but its far too buggy for me right now, I'm going to come back after a few months and look into it.  I am really hoping for a new square-enix mmo, I have heard rumors of one but havn't seen much yet.

My opinion matters to everyone...

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by Arrow

I've been a member of MMORPG for nearly 2 Years now. This is my first post as i feel need to post in this thread. My first MMO was FFXI back in the beta. I played it from the beta to about 6 months ago when I quit. I've tried many many (countless) other MMO's and even gotten into alot of mmo betas (LOTRO) And sadly I have yet to find another MMO in which has the unique features that FFXI had. All and I mean ALL of the other MMO's that i have played have been purly quest based.. I'm tired of doing quests MMO Devs! STOP! NOT ANOTHER QUEST! The single most thing i loved about FFXI was the party based system with skillchains and how classes rely apon another. Not another god damned quest.. You gain exp by going out and killing mobs with a full party not just soloing ALL of the way to the highest level... Please I beg you MMO Devs make another game that's similiar to that...

A game with no to little questing? Just grinding through mobs? Easy. Try Korea. They make thousands of 'em.

• Aegris66Aegris66 Member Posts: 1
    I have to agree, I enjoy FFXI due to the partying. I have played many MMOS and flat out questing is a huge bore fest. When I have to do a quest in FFXI it has a huge meaning and requires time, not run here kill this 10 times and return for your cheap reward. I have to agree with many on Vanguard. It sounds like it has great idea but at this time I can't run it smooth enough to enjoy it.
    /sigh.. Not just grinding through mobs but its the fact that you have to work well with your party.. I do NOT enjoy soloing or questing 24/7... I would rather have a decent group of 5~6 people who can rely on each other to grind on mobs... Its alot more fun like that... ask almost any ffxi addict
  • snipergsniperg Member Posts: 863
    Originally posted by WisebutCruel

A game with no to little questing? Just grinding through mobs? Easy. Try Korea. They make thousands of 'em.

It has a lot of quest for sure. Heck half the things you are supposed to do you do it from quests and missions

But the xp's are only obtainable by party, and a good party just rips through them.

And it's not like some games where you need 1mil exp for the next lvl.

A friend is not him who provides support during your failures.A friend is the one that cheers you during your successes.

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    All i can say is that this is the best MMO out there and i will doubt that any other can get it right like  this 1 has i love the fact that you have you role to play and if you dont play it well then you get owned  so 10 thumbs up from me
    Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
    The graphics the storyline... the flow of adreneline that courses through your veins when you get a NM not to mention a HNM its just awesome... but in the end it was the gilsellers that made me finally just quit.. such a ruin of a good game...
  • OzriokOzriok Member Posts: 38
    Apparently this might be what your looking for.

Perfect World.

Sounds interesting, I'll defintaley try it.

And I played FFXI for 2 years. 75war/70whm/ w/ the various subjobs needed for both. 

Yes, I also find that shallow and pedantic.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

The graphics the storyline... the flow of adreneline that courses through your veins when you get a NM not to mention a HNM its just awesome... but in the end it was the gilsellers that made me finally just quit.. such a ruin of a good game...

SE's policy agains RMTs isn't as important an issue as they pretend to. Ever tried reporting one? Hardly possible to get them to look into the matter. We had some bots on Fenrir earlier, which was reported frequently, but it took them several months to get rid of them.

And who exactly does SE call RMTs? In August (i think) a lot of ppl got banned for using 3rd party programs. Most ppl I know who have used such, did it so they could run the game windowed to check stuff on the web as they played.

I don't know if it's true or not, but it's rumored that accounts SE banned recently for "illegal RMT activities", mostly were normal players with such 3rd party programs as I mentioned.

I'm sorry that RMTs ruined the game for you, and I really hope SE takes a look on how Blizzard acts towards their customers. I agree with someone who said their GMs really sounds like like talking to bots, but they are polite notice what you are telling them, AND they are possible to get in touch with.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by melbolt65

I just wanted to know if you guys could help me. After playing ffxi for over 3 years, I feel like I've finally got my fill of exploring this world and I must say I've had a blast in this game, its got to be the best game I've ever played in my life, the hard work, the skill involved, exploration, all of it, I've loved it.

In an attempt to move on to a new game I've played Wow to 60 and then it quickly got old and i quit, then I tried this game called last chaos which just lacks content, you can explore the whole world in a matter of hours. At first wow was awesome, but it lacked the community of ffxi, after a year i only knew a couple people, where i knew hundreds of people in ffxi. not to mention the lack of stable party system, I ended up soloing clear to 60 due to a lack of a good party system in wow.

what i want to know is, is there any other games out there even remotely close to ffxi?

I like how complex the party system is with the skillchains and how classes rely on each other, everyone has a role to play, you can't just throw together any old bunch of players, people actually have a role to play in ffxi.

So are there any other games out there to try even close to this? or have i just come to the end of my mmorpg life?

thanks guys
    Everquest, Everquest 2, Vanguard, FFXI is really an everquest clone with FFXi theme slapped on it, its not hard to find a game like it.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Nope.

I haven't tried EQ1 or Vanguard, but comparing EQ2 and FFXI is completely wrong. In EQ2 you can solo all the way throug the lvls and also do lots of other stuff solo, too. This is almost impossible in FFXI.

There is still a ton of Grouping content in Everquest 2. I never had a problem finding a group, its really up to you. especialy its combat system is very similar to FFXI.
  • wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328
    Originally posted by Gameloading

There is still a ton of Grouping content in Everquest 2. I never had a problem finding a group, its really up to you. especialy its combat system is very similar to FFXI.

Narly... Heroic encounters is nothing at all like FFXI skill chain / MB system... not even close.

LotrO comes close with there junction system, i actually like the effects a lot... in fact lotro is very good. It offers a lot of the story elements that ive grown to love in ffxi.

The biggest problems with ffxi are the broken jobs (loldrg?). The fact that you will not be allowed to do a lot of the content in this game... Wana craft? NOPE. Wana raid? Better roll the right class... (loldrg?)... Wana make gil? again, better roll the right classes... cause only LEGIT way you make gil is either sky farming or BCNM

Rites of the Four Horsemen
    http://www.rotfh.com

*sigh* yes they are very much alike, please look beyond your ffxi fanboism that its the most original game ever.
  • kamerylkameryl Member UncommonPosts: 5

Try Roma Victor, its pretty original, no XP, no LVL, no CLASSES.... you do what you want. NO monthly fee.
  • ifandbutifandbut Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by wyzwun

Originally posted by Gameloading

Narly... Heroic encounters is nothing at all like FFXI skill chain / MB system... not even close.

LotrO comes close with there junction system, i actually like the effects a lot... in fact lotro is very good. It offers a lot of the story elements that ive grown to love in ffxi.

The biggest problems with ffxi are the broken jobs (loldrg?). The fact that you will not be allowed to do a lot of the content in this game... Wana craft? NOPE. Wana raid? Better roll the right class... (loldrg?)... Wana make gil? again, better roll the right classes... cause only LEGIT way you make gil is either sky farming or BCNM

It's sad but I do agree with you, but you forgot something. You dont ROLL a class, you get ONE character that can be ANY class in the game. Thats one thing I Loved about FFXI and HATED about WoW because I liked the repuation that I earned with my name and how attached I got to my character, something I have not been able to do with my WoW characters.
  • LeydLeyd Member Posts: 14

Hey all , this topic brought me out of my lurker hole as I have been looking for a new mmo similar to FFXI aswell. Perfect world looked promising , another overseas game for anyone in the FFXI retirement home , you should check out Mabinogi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mabinogi_(network_game)

http://feature.mmosite.com/mabinogi/

Mabinogi came out in 2004 in Asia , the cell shaded graphics have aged well IMO and it has a fun battle system you can counter / knockback a mob or get thrown around yourself   , a english version is in devolopment due to release sometime in 2007 also in development is a XBOX360 version.

I'm worried though that the english version is going to the f2p market although it's a p2p game overseas  ,  anime characters + item mall would prolly squash the idea of a "good" community.

*sigh* As for the fanboy comment.. Well simply put i'm no fanboy of this series. As much as i love them i do not believe they are completly origional. Its the way they added many many different features from many different types of games that allow the richness of this game to live.