Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: WAR ComicCon Preview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Joe Iuliani was at Comic Con last week. Today, he brings us a report on his hands-on experience with Warhammer Online.

I recently had the pleasure of playing the demo of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning at the New York Comic Con. For those of you who have not seen the animated scenes from WAR, stop reading this and go to this website and watch it right now. Go ahead, I'll wait. No really, go there and watch it. This scene shows the outright bloodlust and hatred between the two sides in the game, Order and Destruction. It's not just coincidence that Warhammer Online will be going by the clever acronym W.A.R. This game focuses on warfare, pure and simple. You won't find the forces of Order and Destruction chumming it up together in a common town any time soon. It's a game where the "good" guys don't always win. The sides are named appropriately, Order and Destruction. There is no good and bad, just different points of view. The winner is the strongest.

For fans of Games Workshop Warhammer fantasy table top gaming, WAR is like watching the game come to life. Pick up any of copy of White Dwarf from like 1987 through today and you will see how true to form EA Mythic has been. The attention to the details of the Warhammer Fantasy universe is abundant. The character designs, from physical shape and characteristics to the armor and weapons, are right on the money.

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• GnomigGnomig Member Posts: 48

WAAAAAAAGH!!!

--- first ---

Looks great :)

I like the idea of race/factionspecific Interfaces, and the overall look ist just astounding for... ALPHA...

• GrömGröm Member Posts: 303

Nice cover up of that demo and of what will most probably become.

Cheers! 

• AdendanAdendan Member Posts: 2

Good article and the game looks great. Can't wait for more info, and of course, the actual release.

Oh and of course, WAAAAAAAAGH

• YnyrorYnyror Member Posts: 91
    My good god will the wait ever end ? With a artical like that how am i supposed to get any work done?
    Hell... yeah I totally agree.. damn it!
  • MiNaAuMiNaAu Member Posts: 382
    Can't wait for this to come out, it sounds soo good
  • SuaveSuave Member Posts: 150

This game's still only  in alpha stage, and it's already the most hyped, most organized, and nicest looking MMO I can remember being in that stage of development.  One thing's for sure; Warhammer Online is going to be one hell of a final product.

• JerundJerund Member Posts: 3
    Nice write up.  I've been excited about a Warhanmmer MMO since Climax had started on it, and then it went away.  I'm glad that Mythic is doing a bang up job, and can't wait to git my grubby paws on it.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHH!!
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    Can't wait. Will have to spend some time before my first sit down getting ready to be a dwarf. Hopefully at some point will see all the races but a dwarf is my first choice. First time to see a trollslayer did it for me. After reading this, I can't wait to see just how much of the stuff shows up.

Man yeah - I'm all out for Chaos - but a TrollSlayer... - kinda the "mid evil" punk of the time - all out for Berzerk! You should die! (Troll-> Giant and finally Dragon!!!) - Ok now let's get a bit more serious... Guys there's a new post about  WAR check your e-mail - if you didn't subscribed yet to new post about WAR here on MMORPG.com.

Cheers!

• AyertoNAyertoN Member Posts: 3

For those of you who have not seen the animated scenes from WAR, stop reading this and go to this website and watch it right now.

I am excited about this game, but i do have a few issues with it. Such as the animated scene, is not that great, looks a little unpolished and weird looking (everyone except Dwarfs, "greenskins", and chaos). Also, come on that Warrior priest should have had really fought back against that chaos dude before getting beaten, it would have made it more exciting, i mean the rage spell was cool, but it didn't do anything.  How awesome would it be if that War priest really got that chaos lord on the ropes, then the chaos lord wtfpwned the war priest back?

Instead it was like "Hah you don't have a chance and thats cool." Also Paul Barnett is a big chaos fan, its like he had control over the entire cut-scene which screams of "Paul Barnett loves chaos, so they will be op. (Ok i took it too far, the factions will probably be very balanced due to the time and effort being put into this game) ".

Also these RvR vids are, well a little boring. Granted the game has not even hit early stages of beta, and all the characters and areas haven't been created yet, but they are going to have to do something to make it a little more enjoyable, And the graphics don't look that flash, the ground still looks like it was made with old Nintendo 64 textures ( *cough* WoW).

RvR videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzKQdrsfgPw&NR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF6WPSHA4vM&NR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q6K2F8tk9k&NR

As i stated before i am still pretty excited about this game, but some things are not sitting well with me.  Flame on!! :D
  • YarosYaros Member Posts: 280
    Originally posted by AyertoN

I am a little more excited about the Warhammer 40k MMORPG which was just announced :)

Flame on!! :D
    You are wrong. They announced  WH40K MMO, we don't know if it will be MMOPRG or not.  It can be something like Planetside (MMOFPS or something like that).
  • alienpriestalienpriest Member Posts: 39
    There is an unconfirmed account that the UI may be skinned differently depending on the race chosen. I think this will be a great feature for players. Imagine having your screen look like some hellish thing Tzeentch would create.

I'd settle for a UI that's invisible. So often in MMOs, I have the actual game covered in chat boxes, hot key representations, and menu options, that I can barely see the game. Last thing I want is more graphical obstruction.

Outside of that this game sounds great-- I'll be having flashbacks to my 1980s gaming days.
  • NoctiqueNoctique Member Posts: 216
    Every time I read a review, every time I find somthing new and everytime I talk to anyone that has anything to do with games and the topic of this one comes up they NEVER slander it.

The game is so hyped by fans it gets a lot of WoW Fan Bois flame and troll at it, sadly for them we all know than flames and trolls don't mix.

The lore and the history are in to so old now that anyone comparing this game to anything must remember that its most likely been a source for the game they play right now, think about it, if Games Worksop didn't exist would we have had Warcraft? or WoW?!

Anyhow I'm rambling now, what I mean to say is every review about this game is NEVER bad, and theres NEVER a bad word said by the gaming press..... Now for a Alpha staged game to get this much kick you just know its got to be just that little bit special.

Die Noctique, By Day and Night

The game is so hyped by fans it gets a lot of WoW Fan Bois flame and troll at it, sadly for them we all know than flames and trolls don't mix.

The lore and the history are in to so old now that anyone comparing this game to anything must remember that its most likely been a source for the game they play right now, think about it, if Games Worksop didn't exist would we have had Warcraft? or WoW?!

Anyhow I'm rambling now, what I mean to say is every review about this game is NEVER bad, and theres NEVER a bad word said by the gaming press..... Now for a Alpha staged game to get this much kick you just know its got to be just that little bit special.
    I only compared its graphics to WoW. I know better than to compare the lore or other features.

And what, so i found some things i don't like about it, Since every review ever loves it (which is easy to do, i can mention many other games that never got a bad review) then we are not allowed to have an opinion?

I'm sorry i came into your forum and bagged the game we are all hanging out for, i was just mentioning some things i didn't like about it. And please many games that are in alpha get a lot of hype, Its called marketing.

Also why if i have my own opinion am i labeled a WoW Fanboi and a Troll?

Seems a little misguided imo.
  • AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

I'm paying less attention to how the RvR videos *look* than the reactions of people while they're playing them.  Check out the Video of the Month at the Mythic site where a bunch of press people were playing an RvR scenario.  

www.warhammeronline.com/english/home/index.php

Sounds to me like they were having fun.  And that's the important thing to me.

There have been a lot comments throughout the forums out there accusing EA Mythic of stealing ideas from World of Warcraft. I can tell you from personal experience that the Greenskins have been around since well before the original Warcraft was even on the scene.

This has been said tens of thousands of times in forums, magazines and articles. It will be said a million times before the game is released and a million more times afterward.

And there will STILL be those who haven't gotten the clue and make blind assumptions without known the facts.  So I'm afraid it will always have to be said in every single preview, every single review and every single article of  the game because unfortunately there's no limit to human ignorance.  We'll just have to get used to it :)  

Oh yeah - WAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!
    Originally posted by Alienovrlord

I'm paying less attention to how the RvR videos *look* than the reactions of people while they're playing them.  Check out the Video of the Month at the Mythic site where a bunch of press people were playing an RvR scenario.  

Good point.
  • broundingbrounding Member Posts: 63
    I think they should definitely include the option to make the ui customizable and add a few built in options (such as in relation to which race you are playing as an option).

The game sounds like a lot of fun from what I've seen in the videos so far.  Definitely looking forward to this one!

Also, I love how they are including Warhammer humor in the game, skills such as Iron Mingraine and Hammertime, thats funny.  I bet they add some hilarious animations too.