Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take part in this user poll!

HeLL_SNXHeLL_SNX Member Posts: 239
WHich of the following best applies to you and how you feel about Auto Assault ?

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?
AUTO ASSAULT 14 DAY TRIAL
"It is the nature of herds that they flock to where there are more of the same not more quality."

Comments

• Lunchbox76Lunchbox76 Member Posts: 294

I would return if certain things were added and they fix the dang animations. I went into the game hoping for something that it wasnt. I would have liked to be able to run around outside without a vehilce and such. Its a good game and its fun, but in its current state its not what I'm looking for.

Animations being the ones in the citys and outpost where it looks like your running with something up your butt.

Playing Fallen Earth.

• HeLL_SNXHeLL_SNX Member Posts: 239
    Hmm..well its a bit dangerous out of towns to be running around on foot what with all thew contamination, mutated wildlife and Xenos running around.

Thats why we have cars.

So merely tweaking the animations in towns would get you subscribing?

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?
    "It is the nature of herds that they flock to where there are more of the same not more quality."

• briambobriambo Member Posts: 13
    dunno, i haven't tried the trial and i haven't really heard alot of good things about auto assault and hearing what it is all about it kinda remind me of Carmageddon TDR 2000. But hearing bad things about it is not really and objective way to talk. So now i'm giving you the chance to tell me why in godsname i should try this game.
  • Lunchbox76Lunchbox76 Member Posts: 294

Originally posted by HeLL_SNX
    Hmm..well its a bit dangerous out of towns to be running around on foot what with all thew contamination, mutated wildlife and Xenos running around.image Thats why we have cars.imageSo merely tweaking the animations in towns would get you subscribing?image

Like I said the game ended up not being the game I was looking for. I need more then just driving around shooting stuff, and yes I know there is crafting but its all for the car, none of the stuff you craft is for the apartment and you can't add anything to the way you look after you create the character. Im sure I could come up with more but it would require alot of developing time for netdevil to do, and would probably steer the game in a different direction then they have in mind.

Playing Fallen Earth.

Originally posted by briambo

dunno, i haven't tried the trial and i haven't really heard alot of good things about auto assault and hearing what it is all about it kinda remind me of Carmageddon TDR 2000. But hearing bad things about it is not really and objective way to talk. So now i'm giving you the chance to tell me why in godsname i should try this game.

Well all I can do is state some of the reasons I still play this game.

I'm not gonna do a song and dance about how everyone should be playing this 'cos it ain't for everyone.

Classes differ in each faction.

So that every factional class has its own unique playstyle and skills.

This means when you finish playing one class, you can start levelling another and not get instantly bored due to the varying playstyle for each class. (you can have max 12 alts on one account).

3 Factions (BIOmeks, HUmans, MUtants)

4 classes per faction.

TAnk class (TErminators,COmmandos,Champions)

Stealth class (Agents,Bounty HUnters,Avengers)

Support class (COnstructors,Engineers,Shamans)

Pet class (MAsterminds,Lieutenants,Archons)

Your humanoid avatar only appears to you on foot whilst in towns.

These are places you come to for some missions, stores, item vendors or to chat etc.

You can customise your vehicle with paint that is looted off mobs and some limited trims whilst in a town.

Check out some of the chassis HERE !

If you like riding bikes, play a stealth class.

SOme say missions and pace of game is very repetitive. I would not disagree having levelled a few alts myself however some like the fast paced exposive style and just have fun with it. Before you know it you have gained another level just by driving around, exploring and attacking mobs to watch them go boom.

Personally (from a PVP perspective) I would say the game starts at level 80. This is when you have reached your max potential to use all the skills available to your class. Its also when you have the power to compete on the PVP map where all the factions meet and battle over outposts.

Its a fast paced game, and you can hit level cap (80) pretty fast if ya want to.

This means you can level up a few levels each session.

It runs on a Havok & Physix engine.

However you don't need to own a Physix card to play.

Graphics are quite system heavy (I reccommend at least 1 gig ram and 256mb graphics card) and theres still the odd graphic glitch or desktop crash happening but these are so much less frequent than before.

Apparently it runs very nicely on a decent Vista setup I have heard.

SO a game to test out your brand new VIsta system with!

Its different. No elves here (Stealther chassis are kind of small tho ).

Its VERY FAST. Fastest chassis in the game goes 137 MPH.(Agent chassis)

Starter chassis goes something like 60MPH.

But chassis speeds and the amount of cargo space you have increases as you are able to get higher level chassis.

There is no forced grouping apart from a few boss instances where you may want to ask for some help.

COmmunity is mostly mature, friendly and helpful.

NEtdevil & NcSoft have not backed down from this game despite launching the game slightly premature with buggy skills and what not.

However, they have stuck to their guns and are %100 committed to sorting this game out.

I have been here since Beta, so I have witnessed the results of behind the scenes work put into getting this game back into order.

beleive me, its come a long way and it can only get better.

SOme have said it makes a good second MMO if you can afford to subscribe to two.

For me its my one and only MMOG.

It would be good to hear the negative stuff you heard.

But I know some got concerned over the servers being merged.

Apparently to some this spells doooom for an MMOG.

Well, for us it just meant that all the games population got focussed onto one server and we all got to see the whole population a bit more. It did get a bad start, so there wasn't thousands of us at that time.

I would say the pops picking up a lot faster as more try this game out.

Crafting system is okay. Pretty easy to get to grips with. GAthering materials to craft with is done simply be destroying anything you come across. Evrything drops some kind of material or loot.

Everything is destructible!

OKay, atm you can drop better stuff than you can craft.

However, what crafting is really useful for is modding your equipment.

Equipment drops with random stats on it.

Accumulating the right equipment with non duplicate stats can save you some skill points and give you bonuses.

But crafting is a means of getting these bonuses onto the stuff you actually need.

TRy out the trial.

Just remember tho you can only get to level 20 I think and zones after Scrap VAlley are locked to trial players.

But you'll get a feel of the basic game altho everything is pretty easy to kill till you get to level 30 'ish mobs.

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    I had beta tested and even subscribed for a short time.  The problem with Auto Assault is that it wasnt what i was looking for.  If folks remember way way way way back there was a game called Autoduel based on Steve Jackson's Car Wars.  Had auto assault been anything like that I would still be playing today.  But it's not and I dont expect a game to change everything to fit my preconceived notions of how a game should be so I patiently wait for someone else to remember autoduel and to make an mmorpg based on it.
  • MagicWandMagicWand Member Posts: 6

I bought the game a couple of weeks after launch and subscribed for about 3 months after that, even though I mainly played for just a couple of weeks. I thought the game had promise and gave them a couple of months to fix what I thought was lacking, but I realized that they just didn't have the resources to change anything very quickly.

I thought the lore was well-done and that the quests were well-written and supported the lore. Crafting had the potential to be the best in any MMO I'd played, and the three factions accommodated a wide variety of play styles.

The reasons I left were:

1. No auction house
    2. No community - how can you type in chat when your going 100 MPH? Nobody was on voice chat.
    3. My human commando stalled out in the low 20s because he ran out of quests.
    4. Knocking down buildings and squishing people got real old after a couple of weeks.
    5. Common mats in crafting recipes (like grease) were rare drops and vice-versa.
    6. It was too hard to find broken items of the proper level to craft with.
    7. The requirement to run all over the city to craft was insane. Why not just have a garage?
    8. The city avatars were weak, circa 1999 animations and the overall game graphics are several years out of date.
    9. Not enough paint cans to paint my chassis the way I wanted to.
    10. Hardly anyone ever grouped, even for bosses.
    11. It was too difficult to understand how skills would affect my character. It was too easy to gimp myself.

I did find it cathartic to log on for 10 or 15 minutes to wreak havoc, but it was hard to justify the $15/month just for that. I suppose that if they offer a 14-day trial to old subscribers with Update 4, I might give it another shot. The auction house intrigues me, as do the simpler skill trees. I just don't know if that's enough.

Originally posted by MagicWand

I bought the game a couple of weeks after launch and subscribed for about 3 months after that, even though I mainly played for just a couple of weeks. I thought the game had promise and gave them a couple of months to fix what I thought was lacking, but I realized that they just didn't have the resources to change anything very quickly.
    I thought the lore was well-done and that the quests were well-written and supported the lore. Crafting had the potential to be the best in any MMO I'd played, and the three factions accommodated a wide variety of play styles.
    The reasons I left were:

No auction house
    No community - how can you type in chat when your going 100 MPH? Nobody was on voice chat.
    My human commando stalled out in the low 20s because he ran out of quests.
    Knocking down buildings and squishing people got real old after a couple of weeks.
    Common mats in crafting recipes (like grease) were rare drops and vice-versa.
    It was too hard to find broken items of the proper level to craft with.
    The requirement to run all over the city to craft was insane. Why not just have a garage?
    The city avatars were weak, circa 1999 animations and the overall game graphics are several years out of date.
    Not enough paint cans to paint my chassis the way I wanted to.
    Hardly anyone ever grouped, even for bosses.
    It was too difficult to understand how skills would affect my character. It was too easy to gimp myself.

I did find it cathartic to log on for 10 or 15 minutes to wreak havoc, but it was hard to justify the $15/month just for that. I suppose that if they offer a 14-day trial to old subscribers with Update 4, I might give it another shot. The auction house intrigues me, as do the simpler skill trees. I just don't know if that's enough.

1. See update 4 (literally around the corner (in fact maybe even ghitting Live tonight ! )).

2.Clans/guilds in all factions. Most have their own teamspeak / ventrilo. FAction chat is usually busy considering this is now a Global server with players from all over the world on at their respective times.

3.Mission gaps have been closed.

4.All farming in any game gets repetitive and boring after a while.

5.Problematic common drops have been fixed.

6.Broken item gaps have been closed. Theres always a point where you need one last point to advance and you can't find that next level.

7.CAn be annoying, but its not that bad.

8. They serve their purpose.

9.Paint drops have been fixed. Problem now is mules just for paint

10.There is no forced grouping in this game, which appeals to a lot of the players it seems. However new instances have been added that REQUIRE grouping. Even one at level 18 to get players used to grouping at an earler stage in the game. PVP is now really only possible in groups. SOlo PVP at your own risk.

11.Skill system has been revamped with a new 10 point skill system. Every skill costs 10 points to max and a lot of borked skills have been fixed / adjusted.

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

no offense dude but it sounds like the only reason you started this thread was to show people how wrong they are for not liking your favorite game.

i love this game, but heres the thing.  theres no way what they are offering is worth 15 bucks a month.  or even 10.  this would be a great free to play game if it was advertising driven.  it reminds me of twisted metal meets an mmo.  but theres just not enough here content wise.  theyve made some big maps sure.  but are they really offering what other companies are offering on a month to month content basis for the same or less money?  the animations are choppy in town, they look like a high school kid made them (if you are from netdevil and you animated the characters in town, im sorry to bring you down to reality, but you suck at what you do).  Theres no professional polish here like other products have. (im not comparing any specific games and yes theres worse out there, but just because there is worse out there, doesnt mean the the simply amatuer quality of the interface, art assets, control and netcode are acceptable by this industries standards.  So again, are they offering a worthy title for what ncsoft is charging?

hell no they arent.  competition is tough these days and there are tons of other developers offering tons of new content, maps, items month after month for the same or less money, hell some are even free to play.

netdevil has a good deal with ncsoft but they need to realize that every other ncsoft studio is delivering a lot more, polished and professional titles than what is being offered by netdevil.  arenanet and cryptic are simply raising the bar way too high and im sorry, netdevil isnt even coming close to the competition within its own publisher. 

i expect ncsoft to drop them in the next 12 months if they dont do something fast.  the subscription numbers are sad by industry standards.

note: i didnt even begin to mention the competiton outside of ncsoft which is even more of a nightmare for netdevil......

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

Originally posted by cerebrix

no offense dude but it sounds like the only reason you started this thread was to show people how wrong they are for not liking your favorite game.

NO offense taken but you are wrong.
    The main reason I started posting in the Auto Assault section of the MMORPG.COM forums at all was simply that noone else was and we (as in the AA playerbase) all do our bit to keep the outside world informed of changes to a game that we admittedly like.

Regardless of bad patches and negative vibes. ALl I ever read in these AA forums was negative stuff.
    That doesn't mean theres no truth to those posts, but I aim to provide a counter response to the "I been nerfed too hard and I'm leaving" type posts.
    There simnply are players who are enjoying the game and who continue to subscrbe.

BAck to your main statement tho. I started THIS thread because I wanted to see how many of MMORPG.COM browsers actuallly have either played the trial,not played the trial, played in beta etc.
    And also to provide feedback to their concerns. If they left for x,y and z reasons and I know that x,y and z issues have been resolved, of course I'm going to state these facts.
    This is the only way to abolish those rumours that float around like a nasty flu when in fact the issues have actually been fixed.

I'll leave it to someone else to answer the rest of your post , or I'll come back to it another time.
    I have stuff to do right now.

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?

Just wanted to add a NOTE that this thread IS the actual POLL thread and the other was actually a borked attempt at making this poll.

Please respond and VOTE in this thread only, the other may get deleted at some point as it should have been right after the actual POLL was successfully created (but I couldn't find the option to have it removed).

Thanks.

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?

• AABombshellAABombshell Member Posts: 4
    I played AA during mid-beta. I purchased the pre-order, the collectors edition, the PCGamer, the Prima guide, and subscribed to the game for a 6mo subscription. I played every day and crafting was a specialty (infact, I was the first in the game to reach Exotic Weapons though as a Mek there were no Exotic Weapons broken or otherwise with the right skill to craft.) I was an officer in Omega Red, the largest Mek clan on the Breakdown server, and we maintained that status for a short time after the merge. I say this to show I had put a heavy investment of time and money into the game.

Then slowly but surely, everyone left. There are only a small handful of players left from Omega Red (if any) that still play. I was finding myself alone more and more, not just in clan but also in Ground Zero (the original "endgame" zone for those that haven't played) as a whole. I played until shortly after Update 2 then canceled my subscription. A good deal of that had to do with the above, the crafting problems, horrid imbalances, severe loot issues (more the type than the amount),  money being relatively worthless, and my disgust over the "epic" quests. I haven't really been back since.

While some or most of the issues may have been fixed, from what I recall of the game it needed more than just a fine tuning. It needed a complete overhaul. This may have happened to some degree with UD3/UD4. However, for $15/mo I'm not willing to risk it at this time. 

I was a huge Car Wars / Autoduel fan in my younger days, and the concept of the game is still something I find exciting.  If they dropped the subscription fee (as Guild Wars currently exists) I'd seriously concider giving it another try. But I know that's probably not going to happen, and I'm not going to hold my breath. I would love to hear that AA has become one of the favored mainstream games and it's going to have a long action-packed life. However, it will have to do it without me for the forseeable future.

--Bombshell--
  • AmarsirAmarsir Member UncommonPosts: 703

I played in beta and again tried a few months later, both times I walked away thinking it's interesting but not quite right.

It seemed to me they got some big stuff right (gameplay pace being a prime example) but were off on a lot of details (all the numbers and probabilities on crafting being foremost). That's not so terrible. By starting out right the details can be fixed later - and I get that many have. But there was one big thing that seemed wrong at the ground floor, and therefore not easy to fix.

It didn't feel like an MMO.

By that I mean not that I didn't see other people. Quite the opposite, the game often made me feel like I didn't want to see other people. Resources were often limited, and missions designed not to smooth that but rather exacerbate it.

For example, I get a mission saying I need to kill muckrakers and collect 10 of their carpetbags. So I head out to where the muckrakers are. The last thing I want to see is another player. Two of us separately each need 10 carpetbags. If we convoy together ... we still each need 10 carpetbags! There wasn't a solution, except circle around and around and hope to spot the respawn before anyone else does.

Worse, what if we're not even looking for the same thing. I need carpetbags from red muckrakers. That other guy needs stickyshoes from green muckrakers. And that guy over there just wants glass from muckraker shacks. But each time one of us passes through, we're smashing everything there whether it's our target or not. And destroying what the other guys need. Don't get me wrong, I think 1 v many fighing is more fun than 1v1, it's something they did right. But in that way it was turning into an unnecessary and unintentional competition, resulting in frustration and waiting.

The few times it was useful to convoy up to take down a boss, those were better experiences. If you could find another person. And again, not because of sparse population, but because it's not easy to find someone with an identical need. Sharing missions is particularly hard with them all tiered up, and an alternative to teaming up is available by leveling up a bit first, and just making fast suicide runs til you win. Plus I never cared for broadcasting LFT anywhere, feels too much like begging to me.

Even in towns I wouldn't be thrilled to see people. Vendors were set up with a limited number of items, and damned if someone buys that chassis I need before I can. And with a crafting system where you need to have it before you can make it, that's particularly troublesome.

At the most basic level, I have to wonder how well teaming could really work in this type of game. Some classes and builds are more support than others, that lends potential. But you're moving fast, covering lots of ground. It's pretty easy to split up, at which point it's not that much of a team anymore. I'm sure greater skill helps overcome this, but I'm also sure if two adjacent teammates U-turn, and one turns right while the other turns left, it's pretty easy to get unsynced and out of buff range of each other. That must happen all the time.

I've heard there are convoy bonuses now, not sure what that means but I guess it helps. But have they found any way to overcome that feeling of a single-player game online? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't 50-person raids like WoW, or player-initiated tasks like EVE, or easy team forming and instance sharing like CoH. It just seemed like a single-player game where you go online to PvP, except in this case you're online all the time. And paying $15 a month.

Currently playing:
    DC Universe
    Planetside 2
    Magic Online
    Simunomics, the Massive Multiplayer Economic Simulation Game. Play for free.

• MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

I bought the collector edition for $14.00, so I thought I'd give AA a whirl.   I didn't last 7 days.   

I'm not knocking the game at all.   If you enjoy AA, God bless ya.   But I don't think I'd go back.

But hey, at least I got myself a decent headset for $14.00.... 

----------------------------------------------
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I was mildly interested until I saw this:

4 classes per faction.

TAnk class (TErminators,COmmandos,Champions)

Stealth class (Agents,Bounty HUnters,Avengers)

Support class (COnstructors,Engineers,Shamans)

Pet class (MAsterminds,Lieutenants,Archons)

It reminded me why I cancelled AO after the trial.... because even though that game dealt with a futuristic world, game play was really reduced to the same classes and roles that we've had in fantasy MMO's for many years. Which means, I might as well stay playing fantasy MMO's if futuristic games aren't going to bring anything new to the table. (OK, looks like there are no Nukers in AA, but still)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Yeah it is based on a class system, so if you don't like this system you probably won't enjoy Auto Assault.

Having said this, I should add that each class is not simply a copy of the opposing factional class with a different color skin and different sounding skills that do the same thing.

There are some skills which are similarily shared between the stealth classes.

For example, all have a way of 'cloaking'.

but what I'm trying to say is except for the obvious skills that are kind of neccessary for the class(healers get heals,pet classes get pets, tanks get defence,stealthers get cloak etc) the other skills vary totally which makes playing each different class a whole different experience.

Bounty HUnters are more skill reliant and are perfect for hit n run.

Agents however are more gun reliant and their skills are more accuracy and penetration related.

Avengers have some nasty nukes (did you say no Nukes? lol)..

ANyway, yeah if you are looking for a totally different system that doesn't resemble some other fantasy games out there, then this ain't that different except there are some exceptions to the 'class' rules.

Stealth classes generally get 'small' chassis and can only use 'small' weps.

However, later on in the end-game they are able to get medium sized chassis (either from a crafter,epic mission or bought) which can then be used witrh medium sized weps.

Also with the right amount of gadgets a stealth class can achieve the rang of a TAnk weapon.

SO some small 'class' detail lines do get blurred later in the game.

HOnestly tho, good luck in finding a game not based on classes.

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?

• Firebird1Firebird1 Member Posts: 222
    Look, this isn't a good game.  It was fun to play for a while, but in the end the lack of anything other to do then just mission at low levels really stops the game.  Meanwhile the crafting system is not very usable unless your prepaired to use it all the time.  What they need to do is to almost re-invent the crafting system, making it easy to use and not a time sink.  Meanwhile making some PVP (not the contests) or even some "recon" missions in to enemy territory would also be a big help.  However I think that it will be a long hard road back no matter what they add, and they may need to change the model for payments to one based around a cash shop for the game to work. 
  • djackdjack Member Posts: 16

I played this game back in beta and for a little while thereafter. I loved the crafting, I loved the concept, I loved the gameplay. My problem is that it's too expensive.

No, i mean expensive in the way that I don't think AA is worth 15.00. I would LOVE to see it advert driven and free to play like AO. AO is almost worth paying for, AA isn't.

I still keep an eye on this title hoping for some changes but I beleive that this game is not worth the same price as WoW or EvE-Online.

Anyways, I like what your doing, I know that AA could use some more bodies in there.

• DathmarDathmar Member Posts: 11
    I have now played the game again and feel that it is worth paying for but not really at the current price ...I think pehaps lower the price and add adverts in-game.

If I could pick a 6 month sub for £30 I would subscribe again.
  • monkeyrussmonkeyruss Member Posts: 36
    with u4 being out i hope ppl give it another try. my sub just ran out (yesterday) but i'll be back tomorrow (1st day of the 10day free retrial for everyone that ever had an account), and will be getting a new timecard after that....

i'm poor, i mean dirt poor too(i got bus fare for today :P ), but $15 a month is only 50cents a day and i feel that i get that kind of worth out of it for sure. 
  • ArturslArtursl Member Posts: 24
    Realy loved the game when i was subscribed, had a lot of fun. Left just cuz i wanted to try something else.

Well few things that would certainly get me back are:

1. Ability to customize your CHARACTER (not car, just character, like lets say pvp'ing a lot adds new cool armour to your character, or some medals, or well some stuff like that.

2. Well I think the customization of cars wasnt that good...I would love if the body armour you have would somehow show up on car.

And well ofcourse, new cars/monsters/maps/equipment, more pvp options and all that stuff.

Originally posted by Artursl

... new cars/monsters/maps/equipment, more pvp options and all that stuff.

^^ That much we have.

As for the avatar customisation, tbh it wasn't really top of the priority list as there were far more urgent things in need of attention like overpowered skills and desynching during pvp etc.
    PAint cans do drop commonly now so at least you get to customise your chassis color better than before.

Now some of the major bugs have been squashed, some new content and additions can start to be thought about and with the playerbase increasing each day the pressure for things like Avatar customisation will increase.

Good Luck and cya in the wastelands!

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?

DOnt forget to VOTE!
    IF you started subscibing after trying the trial, let us know via VOTING!

Poll can be found at start of this thread or HERE...

WHAT IS AUTO ASSAULT?

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007
    I played the 14-day trial, then bought the box for $5 and play for another month. It was easily worth $5 for that month, but I don't think it's worth $15 a month so I didn't continue it.  I'll check in on the game in a few months to see if they've fixed the problems.