Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Developer Anthony Castoro leaves SWG to start *GASP* an FPS MMO company (apparently old news but bri

Aikes1Aikes1 Member Posts: 292

You know, this is an argument I made a long time ago. I made the argument that the SWG Developers were not exactly the same type of gamers that the die-hard SWG player base was.

Most of the people who were good at SWG Pre-CU had to invest a lot of time into the game. Someone who was great at the game spent many hours per day in the game. Then there were idiots like me who would play around the clock, so we had multiple accounts, guilds, cities, jedi, crafters, non-jedi, and were in need of psychological help most likely for investing so much of our personal time into a video game.

The SWG-SOE teams management, developers, and gophers have to balance work, gaming, and personal time. There is just no way that they could possibly experience the game the way many of us did. It would stand to reason that people who are so time encumbered would get more enjoyement out of FPS games and games that are simple enough to allow them to just log in, play, and log out.

I have always thought that the very fact that the Devs and SWG team could not possibly experience the game and community as we did made isolated our SWG gaming community from the people we relied upon to manage and engineer our gaming world. Think about it, why would you put much thought or effort into developing a game situation you yourself either don't like, can't enjoy, or simply don't truly understand?

Remember how excited the developers were over the CU? They were almost creaming themselves talking up how much they loved the NGE. They may have been giving their honest opinions. It would mean that JFreeman is correct in his assertion that is is not one person's fault. It is the whole teams fault for destroying the game SWG once was. It would mean that our developers and the people managing them were in all reality FPS and WoW/Guild War style players because they could not possibly have the time to be true Star Wars Galaxies players.

If true, this would answer a lot of questions like, why remove so much of the games immersive environment and stratagy, why go to FPS style interface, why push a more cartoonish display, why take a wonderfuly complex game and simplify it to the kiddy standard?

If true, it means we were screwed over by the SOE-SWG teams selfish desire to turn the game we loved into a game that they could enjoy due to their limited game time.

Why do I bring this up?

Star Wars Galaxies Dev Opens Doors
Posted by Gary on on Thursday, February 22 @ Eastern Standard Time

General MOG Info

Developer Anthony Castoro (SWG, UO, and Codemasters) has started up a new MMO company. Heatwave Interavtive promises to combine online play with the excitement of single-player consoled games.

I’m…holding…….my………breath………………

I edited the thread heading so as not to confuse people. I don't know when he quit, I simply reported what was a recent news blog on another site. The theory is a different matter and I think an importent one. Thanks to Mr. Freeman for the little stab at myself for pointing out the confusion in my post that this may have caused. I hope this small token edit will suffice to show Mr. Freeman that a pre-Combat Dumb-Down fanboy can make a mistake, admit to it, correct it, and appologize for it. That is a hell of a lot more than we Pre-CU players were ever offered or given from SWG-SOE developement, but what the hell, someone has to be the stand-up guy.

"SWG was a world, now it's just a game" -adamrk-

"When the game was good, you didn't have to ask where the population was, because it was everywhere. When the game was good you didn't have to ask which server had population, because they all did. When the game was good you didn't have to beg friends to give it a try, because they were already playing. " - Salty Pete

Comments

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    Just let me know what the game is called so I won't buy it.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• NGESUCKSNGESUCKS Member Posts: 153
    A company lol. We already have fps mmo and nobody wants thats one. Anyone got his email id like to discuss a better idea for a company lets buy out SOE and call it SOB and revamp swg as world of star wars with the expansion pack  Smeds burning sensation. We could have Julio torres and Smed replace vader and luke in game and have them drive into town sqaure with limos and run in circles screaming macros that offer empty promises

*Games on our site will be treated just as we treat people. Unsubstantiated comments about specific or general games will be penalized in nearly the same way attacks against people will. The exception is that you can say mean things about games provided you back it up with reasons.
    Example: "Game X sucks." is not a legitimate comment. "Game X sucks, because..." is acceptable.

Thank you,

The Staff
    MMORPG.COM

• Ransom73Ransom73 Member Posts: 227
    Who was this guy?  What was his forum handle?
  • Aikes1Aikes1 Member Posts: 292
    Originally posted by Shayde

Just let me know what the game is called so I won't buy it.

Oh if I get the info I will most certainly pass it on.

This whole topic and conversation brings up a few other questions.

There are all kinds of different styles of game play. We name a lot of them by their style of play. Role Players, FPS peeps, Console players, etc etc etc... but what do you label an SWG player? Mass gamer? Sure... Role Player? .... yea, there were a lot of those... PvPer, PvEer?... yes we had a lot of those too. As a matter of fact we had a cross section of almost every style player you can think of. The one things most of us shared was being part of a mass online game, being part of a very large and involved online community, and spending more time then sanity would allow on a game.

You can all add to that I am sure... but if we ever figure out how to label our group (Maybe a Mass Online Diverse Player Community or some such) then maybe we can ask the question: How do we find representation in a gaming industry full of people who could never enjoy a game that requires the amount of time vested and personal involvement that we as a gaming community seem to enjoy?

This adds a lot of questions for this thread. I think that all of these questions will have to be addressed in a big way for us to be rewarded with games that fit our personalities and expectations.

So, what are your thoughts on this?

"When the game was good, you didn't have to ask where the population was, because it was everywhere. When the game was good you didn't have to ask which server had population, because they all did. When the game was good you didn't have to beg friends to give it a try, because they were already playing. " - Salty Pete

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961
    Industry works in phases.

Right now, there's plenty of aspiring game developers who have become comfortable with MMO systems.

As such, it's time to go from Wolfenstein 3D (EQ) through Quake (Planetside, GW, NGE) to Half-Life 2.

Upcoming generation of titles will increasingly utilize real-time actions and more world interaction, since technology developers now know the boundaries, and can start pushing them again. In addition, proliferation of high-quality internet connections allows somewhat higher pipe to the client, making more interaction possible.

The next generation will not be Half-Life 2 yet, more somewhere along the lines of UT/Quake3/Half-Life. All the FPS goodies, but certain limits.

Eventually, the next, next generation, will consider FPS and real-time interaction as the norm, that's when new gameplay concepts will become viable.

But 3D FPS or real-time player/world interaction is the next inevitable step. It is currently missing from MMOs simply due to technology restrictions, same reason why first FPS games were, well, 2D and rather poorly looking.
  • DundeeDundee Member Posts: 233
    Your conspiracy theory generator is on the blink.

"An FPS MMO company" is a description that you just made up, just now.

Anthony left SOE before SWG launched.
  • DarkstryderDarkstryder Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by Aikes

Most of the people who were good at SWG Pre-CU had to invest a lot of time into the game. Someone who was great at the game spent many hours per day in the game. Then there were idiots like me who would play around the clock, so we had multiple accounts, guilds, cities, jedi, crafters, non-jedi, and were in need of psychological help most likely for investing so much of our personal time into a video game.

General MOG Info

Developer Anthony Castoro (SWG, UO, and Codemasters) has started up a new MMO company. Heatwave Interavtive promises to combine online play with the excitement of single-player consoled games.

Lol, yep I can relate to that. The amount of times I was up on SWG pre-nge till 3 or 4am with work at 7am is unreal. I would say to myself when I woke up, I aint doin that ever again, then that night I would do the exact same thing. I would class myself as one of those folk who SERIOUSLY needed psychological help.

But  atleast the NGE with 1 foul stroke cured me of my addiction.

• FrenzFrenz Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Dundee

Shit the OP just got owned a little bit.

You mean my theories on developers not being our type of gamers or something else?

I am just reporting the news. You can investigate the company and situation pretty easily since I posted links and the infor the he was involved with SWG came from http://mogarmy.net/  ...

I also plainly said in the original post that I had a theory about the relationship we Pre_CU gamers have had with the SOE-SWG developement and management and that the Castoro story was why I brought it up... the story I read reminded me of it so I decided to ask others what they think about my "theory." Did I strike some nerve deep inside you Mr Freeman or are you just being a sarcastic arse because that is your nature?

Here are a few tid bits from the company web page:

“Content is King. I don’t care how good your relationship with your customer is, if people don’t like what you do, the only thing you’ll have to talk about is why they aren’t buying your games.”   -Anthony Castoro

GAMING INDUSTRY VETERAN ANTHONY CASTORO FORMS HEATWAVE INTERACTIVE

Castoro’s new company to combine the most compelling aspects of online & offline games.

AUSTIN, TEXAS (21 February 2007)

Veteran online Designer/Producer Anthony Castoro and accomplished entrepreneur Donn Clendenon announced today the formation of Heatwave Interactive, Inc.

The newly formed company combines its passion for original games with the rigorous discipline needed to get products to market profitably.  With a library of original IP in pre-production, the company is preparing to discuss its future with investors at the upcoming Game Developers Conference.

Heatwave promises a new take on gaming. “This is not ‘just another MMO’ company,” states Mr. Castoro. “The current crop of ‘massively multiplayer’ games only provides a glimpse into the power of connected gaming. Heatwave Interactive’s mission is to create original games that unite the power of online gaming with the excitement of traditional single-player video games.”  Mr. Castoro is well known in the industry for his work as a game designer and Producer at Electronic Arts and most recently as Director of MMO Games at Codemasters.

Originally posted by Frenz

He is just lashing out a little. It tells me my theory may carry some (or even a lot) of weight. The easiest thing to attack would be the note about Castoro, which was as I said, just a point a read that reminded me of a theory I had pondered over for a very long time.

He is just lashing out a little. It tells me my theory may carry some (or even a lot) of weight. The easiest thing to attack would be the note about Castoro, which was as I said, just a point a read that reminded me of a theory I had pondered over for a very long time.

Jeff Freeman>Aikes

Lol im just bored don't take me serious.

Jeff Freeman>Aikes

Lol im just bored don't take me serious.

I don't mind if you flame me, but I would much rather a review and few comments about my views in the original post and in the posts that followed.

If you are going to troll, then take the high road and take a stab at the core message rather than some obtuse fractional tid-bit of the information leading to it.

Originally posted by NGESUCKS

A company lol. We already have fps mmo and nobody wants thats one. Anyone got his email id like to discuss a better idea for a company lets buy out SOE and call it SOB and revamp swg as world of star wars with the expansion pack  Smeds burning sensation. We could have Julio torres and Smed replace vader and luke in game and have them drive into town sqaure with limos and run in circles screaming macros that offer empty promises

You seriously don't think that there isn't a market for an MMO based on FPS combat?  You're completely nuts if you think the several million CounterStrike monkeys wouldn't be frothing at the mouth to have something semi-permanent.  Look at the buzz that Huxley is getting.  That game looks FUN.

Look, the failure of the FPS NGE doesn't mean that it can't be done, and that it can't be done right.  Just as the failure of old school SWG doesn't mean that a virtual world/sandbox style scifi based (or fantasy, for that matter) MMO can't be done either.  It just has to be done (waaaaait for it) r i g h t.  

It's entirely about execution. 

Tabula Rasa has the potential to show that twitch 'style' combat can work in an MMO.  Early heresay from people I trust say that it is exceptionally well done.  Same for Huxley:  If the gameplay is solid, then it will work (provided it has an engaging storyline to go with it).

You know, this is an argument I made a long time ago. I made the argument that the SWG Developers were not exactly the same type of gamers that the die-hard SWG player base was.
    Most of the people who were good at SWG Pre-CU had to invest a lot of time into the game.
    Good in what respect?

Someone who was great at the game spent many hours per day in the game.
    Great in what way pvp? making money?

Then there were idiots like me who would play around the clock, so we had multiple accounts, guilds, cities, jedi, crafters, non-jedi, and were in need of psychological help most likely for investing so much of our personal time into a video game.
    The SWG-SOE teams management, developers, and gophers have to balance work, gaming, and personal time.
    Don't we all?

There is just no way that they could possibly experience the game the way many of us did.
    So you could only experiance Pre-Cu if you had no job and dedicated all your personal time to SWG?

It would stand to reason that people who are so time encumbered would get more enjoyement out of FPS games and games that are simple enough to allow them to just log in, play, and log out.
    Yeah but some people just enjoy those games over mmo's anyway not to mention there is no monthly sub.

I have always thought that the very fact that the Devs and SWG team could not possibly experience the game and community as we did made isolated our SWG gaming community from the people we relied upon to manage and engineer our gaming world. Think about it, why would you put much thought or effort into developing a game situation you yourself either don't like, can't enjoy, or simply don't truly understand?
    It's thier job and an awsome job I reckon anyone would put 100% into it, I know I would.

Remember how excited the developers were over the CU?
    Not really, got a link?

They were almost creaming themselves talking up how much they loved the NGE. They may have been giving their honest opinions. It would mean that JFreeman is correct in his assertion that is is not one person's fault. It is the whole teams fault for destroying the game SWG once was. It would mean that our developers and the people managing them were in all reality FPS and WoW/Guild War style players because they could not possibly have the time to be true Star Wars Galaxies players.
    You could say they had double the amount of time since they worked on it and could play in thier free time.

If true, this would answer a lot of questions like, why remove so much of the games immersive environment and stratagy, why go to FPS style interface, why push a more cartoonish display, why take a wonderfuly complex game and simplify it to the kiddy standard?
    Could be for the reasons you said but i highly doubt it, only SOE/LEC knows.
    If true, it means we were screwed over by the SOE-SWG teams selfish desire to turn the game we loved into a game that they could enjoy due to their limited game time.
    Thought you said they were too busy with work and had no personal time?

Why do I bring this up?
    Because you loved SWG and want it back or at least the answers, as does everyone else on this forum.

I edited the thread heading so as not to confuse people. I don't know when he quit, I simply reported what was a recent news blog on another site. The theory is a different matter and I think an importent one. Thanks to Mr. Freeman for the little stab at myself for pointing out the confusion in my post that this may have caused. I hope this small token edit will suffice to show Mr. Freeman that a pre-Combat Dumb-Down fanboy can make a mistake, admit to it, correct it, and appologize for it. That is a hell of a lot more than we Pre-CU players were ever offered or given from SWG-SOE developement, but what the hell, someone has to be the stand-up guy.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835
    Originally posted by Ransom73

You seriously don't think that there isn't a market for an MMO based on FPS combat?  You're completely nuts if you think the several million CounterStrike monkeys wouldn't be frothing at the mouth to have something semi-permanent.  Look at the buzz that Huxley is getting.  That game looks FUN.

Look, the failure of the FPS NGE doesn't mean that it can't be done, and that it can't be done right.  Just as the failure of old school SWG doesn't mean that a virtual world/sandbox style scifi based (or fantasy, for that matter) MMO can't be done either.  It just has to be done (waaaaait for it) r i g h t.  

Tabula Rasa has the potential to show that twitch 'style' combat can work in an MMO.  Early heresay from people I trust say that it is exceptionally well done.  Same for Huxley:  If the gameplay is solid, then it will work (provided it has an engaging storyline to go with it).

I dunno if the people who currently play FPS's will be interested. I mean the hard core fps players. If their machine LAGS..at all..their 3000 dollar rig..and new hardware cant remove the lag entirely and give them 300+ frames per second...it would be impossible for them to enjoy it. Just the ones i know anyway.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

Originally posted by FikusOfAhazi

I dunno if the people who currently play FPS's will be interested. I mean the hard core fps players. If their machine LAGS..at all..their 3000 dollar rig..and new hardware cant remove the lag entirely and give them 300+ frames per second...it would be impossible for them to enjoy it. Just the ones i know anyway.

That's where the 'done right' and execution comes in.

I'll fully admit that lag, latency, and a whole bunch of technical sounding terms will get in the way of a truly good FPS combat based MMO.  Tabula Rasa addresses some of this in its design (it's not a true FPS, but something sort of near it.  Hard to explain.), as does Huxley.  Additionally, broadband just hasn't made its way into the percentage of homes as it has in Europe. 

IF you can work around the inherent lag, and IF you can work around the latency, and IF you can work around <insert tech issue here>, it would work.  That's alot of IFs, I'll admit, but I imagine it's only about 5 years away.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

That's where the 'done right' and execution comes in.

I'll fully admit that lag, latency, and a whole bunch of technical sounding terms will get in the way of a truly good FPS combat based MMO.  Tabula Rasa addresses some of this in its design (it's not a true FPS, but something sort of near it.  Hard to explain.), as does Huxley.  Additionally, broadband just hasn't made its way into the percentage of homes as it has in Europe. 

IF you can work around the inherent lag, and IF you can work around the latency, and IF you can work around <insert tech issue here>, it would work.  That's alot of IFs, I'll admit, but I imagine it's only about 5 years away.

Oh i totally get it..i'd be there trying it out too. Im just saying..FPS players i know wont tolerate a  half of a second of a tiny twitch of what could have been lag. They'll obsess over it for hours, tear the PC apart, rebuild, reload windows, download every possible driver or whatever else you could even imagine. If that doesnt work they'll throw money at it. they are complete freaks. I can only speak for the ones i know..but a game where lag couldnt be ENTIRELY ELIMINATED..like a MMO, would not be even considered. It makes me kinda laugh thinking about those guys having breakdowns experiencing Lag on the scale that MMO's have.

Im exagerrating..a little.  it'd have to be a damn good game, and more solid of a game than i can imagine thats for sure. But, marketing works rather well on these guys too..so who knows.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

Guilty.

This bit hit a nerve:

Not because there's truth to it, bit because there's an accusation in it.

It's an insult, and I was insulted.

Also,
    It would mean that JFreeman is correct in his assertion that is is not one person's fault.

You're also commandeering my words to support what you want to say. "Oh, Jfreeman said it was no one person's fault. He must have meant just what I am saying, 'All developers are the children of Satan'".

Individual developers are not hive-mind borg-type aliens from another planet. They are human beings just like you. Take fifty developers and you'll wind up with 50 different preferences. Some do prefer FPS games: and some of those spend as much time playing them as any SWG vet. Others are hardcore MMO players interested in little else. Some - artists in particular - wouldn't even seem like gamers to people are hardcore as the folk in this forum.

As for Heatwave, it seemed to me you're reconstructing reality in order to fabricate evidence which supports a preconceived idea. You're picking on Anthony Castoro just because he used to work for SOE on SWG. And he quit before SWG even launched.

Heatwave's company info, focuses on the idea of combining the best elements of single-player and online gaming. That is, there's a fairly common notion that MMOs succeed on the strengths of online play in spite of being, otherwise, not very good games. No matter what kind of games they are, offline (and especially console) games do the game part better. Whether you agree with that or not, you're taking his goal to make online games which are not only online, but also actually good games, and twisting that into "FPS MMO". Most people wouldn't even equate "console game" with "FPS" in the first place.

It just seems like you're being very dishonest in order to create evidence to support an insult. The headline of this thread is not true. How can you just brush off that fact to say, "Yeh, well, what about my theory, though?" when your theory is based on the info that you just made up?

Touched a nerve?

Yes, you did. It's easy for me to be thick-skinned in the face of drive-by "burn in hell"-one-shot posts. I can even mostly ignore personal attacks people who post nothing but irrational flames.

But since you had been talking to me in other threads, this insult from you took me by surprise. Especially with "dehumanize the enemy" strategy.

There is no us versus them. It's a false distinction, like players who post versus posters who play. Game developers are mostly gamers who grew up (or soon will), and got hired to develop games (Or to code tools for game devs, or to commit acts of art, or to manage QA teams, or to do market research, or whatever). Our differences are not in terms of who we are and often not even in terms of what we do; they are definitely not in terms of what we are.

My own theory?

Companies sometimes make $elfish decision$. Sometimes quarterly reports, accountants, and market research studies are allowed to make game design decisions, because the things they say or the bottom-lines they promise are sexier and more confident than the feelings John Newbie from Design is trying to express.

Sometimes those things even design entire games.

I think that is how crap like Antz Extreme Racing and Starship Troopers the RTS get made (just what are the bugs' strategic options? Rush or Don't Rush, with Don't Rush grayed-out?).

Not (as your theory would suggest ) due to the Antz license being accidentally assigned to a team of racing-game enthusiasts who are too stupid to realize that Best Buy has shelves full of the games they like.

But rather, due to game design by Marketing powerpoints with colorful charts.

Now those are not human, and they are shitty game designers.

One problem with making an MMO FPS is that you're competing with FPS's, and they are excellent.

I think instead of an 'FPS MMO', you have to make an 'MMO - with lots of MMO things - and FPS combat'.

Then the problem is you cannot smoke cigarettes while playing, which won't fly in Asia.
  • PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

One problem with making an MMO FPS is that you're competing with FPS's, and they are excellent.

I think instead of an 'FPS MMO', you have to make an 'MMO - with lots of MMO things - and FPS combat'.

Then the problem is you cannot smoke cigarettes while playing, which won't fly in Asia.

It's more than just not being able to smoke, can't really type that much either, nor read.  I may be wrong, I may be right, I may be somewhere in between, but I think Social gammers may be negatively impacted by FPS combat.

Just something to think about.

--Edit- If I could type ether, all the pain would go away

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159
    Originally posted by PyscoJuggalo

It's more than just not being able to smoke, can't really type that much either, nor read.  I may be wrong, I may be right, I may be somewhere in between, but I think Social gammers may be negatively impacted by FPS combat.

Just something to think about.

--Edit- If I could type ether, all the pain would go away

Imagine a MMO server filled with only CS and BF2 players. Everyone would be on Teamspeak/whatever, and all the chat you would see would be "WTF H4X!" "PWND" and..well, alot of bitching.

Hmm, maybe such a MMO would be a good idea. Hopefully all those players we DON'T like to play with, the "WTF PWNage" players would go to that MMO instead, and us casual players, PvP players, RP'ers would be left without grief and harrasment and..uh..pwnage.

imageThe last of the Trackers

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

MMOFPS's won't be technologically possible until hyper speed broadband (30Mbps and up) starts becoming more common, and even then they might not ever work as well as LAN based or single player FPS games as there is no getting around latency (since the internet can't exceed the speed of light in response time).

The NGE combat system is proof positive that this is impossible using the current standard broadband (1.5-5 Mbps DSL or cable), because of the impossibility of the internet at that speed amongst the server and all clients to accurately and reliably track actions happening several times per second. Actions need to be limited to one per second, no more, or reliability is out the window. Without reliability, combat is no longer a fair fight. The NGE combat system STILL does not work, but the devs seem unwilling to do anything about it.

Anyone making a MMO who is tying their combat system to a FPS right now is shitting money down a toilet. It simply won't work. Please consult a qualified network engineer (such as myself) before spending money coding it.

It's worth noting that STO was originally going to be FPS based for ground combat and they changed to traditional MMO "turn" (actually queue) based combat, probably after observing how poorly SWG NGE's pseudo FPS worked.

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961
    Originally posted by wolfmann  
    Imagine a MMO server filled with only CS and BF2 players. Everyone would be on Teamspeak/whatever, and all the chat you would see would be "WTF H4X!" "PWND" and..well, alot of bitching.
    When was the last time you logged into NGE?
  • jor8888jor8888 Member Posts: 378
    most wil quit when they realized they cant get 50+ fps with their $5000 computers and they are getting killed by lag and have to pay for subcription.
  • BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Originally posted by Rekrul

Originally posted by wolfmann  
    When was the last time you logged into NGE?

Hell, any MMO for that matter.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"