Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dungeon Runners: An Interview With Stephen Nichols

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Staff Writer Donna Desborough asks questions of Stephen Nichols about the upcoming NCSoft title, Dungeon Runners. Nichols is the Producer and Lead Programmer for the game.

MMORPG.com:

How is the Premium Service going to work? And how much will it cost?

Stephen Nichols:

The basic game is free to download and play, and for $4.99/month you get access to members-only features. At present, those features are: access to weapons, armor and magical items above "blue" quality, more powerful stacking potions (take up less inventory space), login queue priority and access to an in-game bank to store loot.

Right now, you can pay for membership with a credit card and very soon, you'll be able to use an NCsoft game time card. We're also looking into other ways to pay.

You can read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• Xerion12Xerion12 Member Posts: 371
    No in-game events? bleh...  And $5 a month?  I dunno,  there are plenty of f2p dungeon crawlers that look exactly the same with nearly the same gameplay elements.   I guess we'll see how it turns out come launch.

• hotwuhotwu Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I tried to get into this beta, I even threatened to kill innocent farm animals if they did not oblige me. This company has failed me on so many different levels I can not even begin to express my emotions at this point.
  • This looks like such a huge WOW rip off, it would be a waste of life just downloading the client. But a different subscription plan into the genre could be a good thing, though.

• RetgarRetgar Member Posts: 19
    Looks more like a Diablo II clone than a WoW clone, which is what I think they were going for.  If you look at the numbers that still play Diablo, i'm guessing that those are the people that they're trying to tap in to.

"Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it isn't any good"

• chewdog82chewdog82 Member Posts: 20

if anyone plays this game and reads this, i will play this game till my eyes bug out with you and farm gold(or whatever currency) for you if you refer me so I can get in on the beta and play!

[email protected]

PLEASE PLEASE

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Mmorpg.com should state a policy regarding invite/cd-key begging, looking in the DR-forum just about every topic has posts that beg for invites (along with a billion threads whose only purpose is for "invites").

5$ per character and month sounds real greedy, I thought FFXI was bad with 1$ extra per character but I guess there will always be someone that is one step worse.

• XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148

OK People, U have to Look at the Big Picture here, I Have Been playing the Game a few days Now & have to Say It Does Remind me Allot Of Diablo2 "Hehe Even the Music Remind Me of" Not So much WoW, But that said I See that Its a Good Thing.. After all Diablo1 & 2 Was Both Very Good Games for there time " I played D2 Alone for Over a year" And Since Blizzard Still After All these Years, Have Any Plans on making a D3. I say Its Open Game to Make a Good Diablo2 Clone thats in 3D format.. So Is it Bad Idea? No...

If You Read what there trying to Do in DR"s Is Make a Easy  To Learn Hack and Slash game without Being All that Complex. Just  Kill Grab the Loot And move on.. ATM i dont See Any Trading Options But Im sure they are going to Add it in The NPC"s Say some Funny Comments that u would not Hear in Other Games. And The stats Of the Weapons them selfs Are in a Way Comic. I for one Get a Kick of How they Rate the Attack Speeds of the Weapons.. Gram mom   i Assume Means Slowww. And Freaky fast! Means Ummm Fast?? lol there Theres speeds between As well..

What I'm trying to Say is.. With So Many MMO's Trying to make Games Super Complexx Games that Make u Play none Stop For Hours And have to Read Websites none Stop Just to Learn the Basic's of the Game and what Items there Are u can use and get latter on. DR"S Is A Layed Back game that u just pick up and play, learn as you go. And Have fun... It may Not be for Everyone, But I can see were Ncsoft is going  with it

Take it for What its worth, Stop trying to Compare it to More Complex games

ATM i rate it As its

Graphic's 6/10

Sound Sound 5/10

Control 7/10

Fun 8/10

With the Protention to be Better in the Future

OK Its for for Everyone to start with the insults on me now.. That I Wont be replying to..

• KostikaKostika Staff WriterMember Posts: 84
    Originally posted by XxjagoxX

What I'm trying to Say is.. With So Many MMO's Trying to make Games Super Complexx Games that Make u Play none Stop For Hours And have to Read Websites none Stop Just to Learn the Basic's of the Game and what Items there Are u can use and get latter on. DR"S Is A Layed Back game that u just pick up and play, learn as you go. And Have fun... It may Not be for Everyone, But I can see were Ncsoft is going  with it

Take it for What its worth, Stop trying to Compare it to More Complex games

I completely agree. The simplicity is one of the things I've praised about this game too. It's really alot of fun when you just take it at face value. Sometimes you don't need complex.

Donna Desborough
    Staff Writer
    www.mmorpg.com

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

This game is by far NOT a WoW clone.  If anything this is essentially Diablo Online.  I got in the beta a while back and i have to say it is just a simple dungeon crawling, beat up some monsters for loot game.   You even have red & blue potions just like in Diablo 2.

Plus it's FREE to play, the $5 is a premium service fee if you want more bank slots, better quality loots etc.  It isn't even like Guild Wars that you have to initially buy the game or anything.  Absolutely 100% free unless you get the premium service, which is optional.

Simplistic, no frills and free.   

• hadatihadati Member UncommonPosts: 28

I've been in the beta for about 5 weeks now. 

It's very Diablo 2-ish.  Very simple and straighforward.

One cool thing is that the dev team actually *listens to their players* on the forums and in-game and makes revisions to the game based on their feedback.

I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys Diablo 2/ Dungeon Siege type games but yearns for a slightly more MMO version of these titles.

If you want a beta invite, PM me.  I might have a few.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

• hadatihadati Member UncommonPosts: 28

Just gave two people beta invitations.  I have one invite left.  If you are interested in the DR beta, send me a PM.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

• A970747A970747 Member Posts: 2
    Not sure how to PM you Hadati, but if you have a beta invite open I'd like to play the game. I really enjoyed D2 and need something without a huge time commitment!
  • BiggsBiggs Member Posts: 7

Any ideal when this is going to be released? I don't know in the beta so i'm sitting on the sidelines atm.

I for one, will most likely buy  the pay for game account. when you get right down to it. 5 bucks a month is nothing. I spend more on lottery tickets :P Here i might actually win something.

I just wish they'd post a wee bit more information on their game :P

-B-

• RammurRammur Member Posts: 575
    I+ have faith in this game its stephen nichols and whomever has played the realm www.realmserver.com would know this guys name. For the realm is one of his golden oldies that he made great before codemasters and norseman game destroyed his work so go nichols you have a fan here.