Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: Issue 9 Interview With Matt Miller

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

News Editor Garrett Fuller sits down with Matt "Positron" Miller, the Lead Designer for Cryptic Studios' City of Heroes / Villains about Issue 9, the game's next free expansion.

MMORPG.com:

Give us an introduction into what Issue 9 will offer players for both City of Heroes and City of Villains.

Matt Miller:

Well, first off we have the Invention system, which adds a whole new dynamic to the game. Heroes and Villains will collect salvage and recipes by defeating enemies. In keeping with City of Heroes "casual friendly" game design, the collecting of these items adds extra spice to the gameplay of defeating foes, rather than becoming a hardcore task of "grinding," "camping" or hours of "raiding." With this salvage, players can use the recipes to assemble an all new class of Power Enhancements or costume pieces (depending on the recipe), which they can then use. Unused recipes and salvage can be sold at the new Consignment Houses (for Heroes) or the new Black Market (for Villains).

You can read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• Runny123Runny123 Member Posts: 177
    FIRST!!!

haha.

It sounds okay.
  • magebornmageborn Member Posts: 122
    i cant read half the article because the advertisement on the left is puashing half the text off the screen.
  • sacreddaykilsacreddaykil Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 396

i can only read: (except in the actuall post, by that i mean this one)

"News Editor Garrett Fuller sits down with Matt "Positron" Miller, the Lead Designer for Cryptic Studios' City of Heroes / Villains about Issue 9, the game's next free expansion."

then its nothing more, anyone else experienced that?

• WindlionWindlion Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by sacreddaykil

i can only read: (except in the actuall post, by that i mean this one)
    "News Editor Garrett Fuller sits down with Matt "Positron" Miller, the Lead Designer for Cryptic Studios' City of Heroes / Villains about Issue 9, the game's next free expansion."
    Yep cant read the rest must be in error. :( nevermind it helps if you scroll down ! lol
  • AmarsirAmarsir Member UncommonPosts: 703

Not much we didn't know, and of course the devil's in the details - deciding if the inventions are a "must-have", a waste of time, or something in between will depend entirely on what numbers they choose to assign. And by that I mean not just the value of the boost, but how rare is "rare"?

Based just on the numbers that leaked out so far, I already figure I'd have to be tripping over salvage and drained of inf to make any of the built-in IO recipes of a level other than 45 or 50.

I do foresee however, a nice use of the consignment shops. I'm really curious to see what kind of economy develops in this influence-rich world. I also hope I can deconstruct Centrioles into some useful salvage, as their value is low and set for dropping. I mean dmg/range is already the red-headed stepchild of the Hami-Os, and I only see it getting less desireable with new IO options.

Also it seems like all of this invention salvage falls into the category of "stuff that drops while you're doing what you're doing." Which is fine but still, still not giving 50s anything to do. Sure, now there's both the revamped (nice!) Hami raid and the Statesman TF, but you still have the big grind/raid question - what the heck am I getting better for?? How many of us have 50s that do nothing but get a new HO, technically becoming better, then go back to the bench? I have several.

That said, to end on a high note, sounds good with the Hami raid revamp. I especially like the "rare recipe" option, which sounds fair, and flexible, and I'm very glad you thought of it because had players suggested that it would surely have been met with the same warmth as the "select a Hami-O" idea.

Currently playing:
    DC Universe
    Planetside 2
    Magic Online
    Simunomics, the Massive Multiplayer Economic Simulation Game. Play for free.

• sacreddaykilsacreddaykil Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by Windlion
    Originally posted by sacreddaykil i can only read: (except in the actuall post, by that i mean this one)
    Yep cant read the rest must be in error. :( nevermind it helps if you scroll down ! lol

lol, just eralised that too :) but im pretty sure it actually was away for a second, cause otherwise im really stupid. i guess.

• volumeone86volumeone86 Member Posts: 8

Bah, I was hoping this was going to be the issue with villain epic archtypes, guess I'm going to have to wait another 6 or so months.

I'm thinking this invention system is set up as a distraction so players don't level up as fast and complain about the grind.

• tutetute Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Originally posted by Amarsir

Not much we didn't know, and of course the devil's in the details - deciding if the inventions are a "must-have", a waste of time, or something in between will depend entirely on what numbers they choose to assign. And by that I mean not just the value of the boost, but how rare is "rare"?
    Based just on the numbers that leaked out so far, I already figure I'd have to be tripping over salvage and drained of inf to make any of the built-in IO recipes of a level other than 45 or 50. <snip>
    I

After reading on the official forums that Posi doesn't want the new system to overshadow those that choose not to use it, I am wondering how much it will be worth the time investment.

Posi's words:

We tried to make it so that if you had a full set of Set-based IOs, then your overall bonuses were similar in power to straight up SO slotting.

So that said, my initial thoughts are if Invention salvage drops at anywhere near the rate of Base Salvage, I don't see getting 2 or 3 powers slotted out worth the time investment/effort.  It was nice he did say they will NOT make mobs tougher with the new system.   Yes, I can still play the game without this addition but I'm pretty bored with the game as is so I really don't want a huge grind with this system just to gain an extra 2-5% performance boost(but I guess that is par for MMOs and unfortunately Cryptic has been moving closer and closer to the standard formula).

As far as the cost, I'm not so worried about influence IF(and that's a big if) the leaked info I've seen stays close.  Such as a level 50 IO for defense buff only costs 64,000 influence.  I can't see a dual IO costing 10 times as much but we will see.  The biggest factor for that single effect enhancement was it used 3 pieces of salvage.

They really need to get this system on test soon(as in the next couple weeks not Cryptic's SoonTM)

• tutetute Member UncommonPosts: 299

I don't know if anyone will find this interesting but here is a little more info on IO sets.

Quote:

Quote:

I should also point out that because of this, you will only be able to slot in ONE of a particular Set IO into a particular power. So in the Sting of the Manticore example, you can't slot in 6 SotM: Damage/Accuracy IOs into your Sniper power.

Answers that question, and sounds like sets are indeed comprised of specific IOs. Thanks for the info! :-)

So, while you're here, can we drag more out of you? Are there multiple possible sets for a given power: if you don't want the Sting of the Manicore set for your snipe, could you use Long Arm of Blue Shield instead?

-D

Posi's response:

Sure, there are 5 different Sniper sets: Exploit Weakness, Calibrated Accuacy, Executioner's Contract, Extreme Measures, and Sting of the Manticore. All of them exist all the way to level 53, but some "start" later than others. The earliest starts at level 10 (slottable at level 7). Sting of the Manticore starts at level 35 (so slottable at level 32).

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433
    Originally posted by volumeone86

Bah, I was hoping this was going to be the issue with villain epic archtypes, guess I'm going to have to wait another 6 or so months.
    I'm thinking this invention system is set up as a distraction so players don't level up as fast and complain about the grind.
    Same here, at least let's hope the epic ATs for villains will be more than just a twist of the kheldians, with all the time they take!

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• sololocosololoco Member Posts: 542

Borriinnngggg!!!

This is boring news, nothing exciting, nothing really new.  It's just a whole lot of the same, same as WoW's expansion, boring!

• PowderBurntPowderBurnt Member Posts: 21
    So we're getting phat lootz?
  • AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433
    Originally posted by PowderBurnt

So we're getting phat lootz?
    Many ways to get phat lootz, you pick anyway you prefer.    You can raid the Hamidon, you can accomplish the Recluse Strike Force (my favorite option), you can "craft it" by hoarding components.  The crafting ways seems to offer more options however, not be limited to a few pre-determined SHOs, so you have many other twist you can add there.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

In some ways this sounds sorta like runes an sets in diablo 2 .

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

I'm really excited about Issue 9.  I'm loving the team style combat as a healer in the CoH and CoV games.  I'm looking forward to the added dimension of being able to make some ehancements and costume pieces.  My supergroup jokes with me about having an addiction to visiting the tailor as it is lol.  Being able to make my own costume pieces?  I'm nearly speechless 0_o.

I enjoyed Issues 7 and 8 as well.  I like the way Cryptic adds to the game without breaking or ruining what we already have and enjoy.  New additions that I've experienced really add to the game without seriously altering the general feel.  This is very important to me as a gamer in general and as a survivor of the Star Wars Galaxies fiasco in particular.

I have also enjoyed that the free exapansions have been fairly polished upon release.  Having expansions that actually break your game was such a let down in the past.  CoH is a refreshing improvement.  Thanks for all the hard work guys, it's appreciated!

Arc

• airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542

Finally!  It's nice to see that the devs are actually improving the game, a concept long forgotten by many mmo's.  I would still like to own my own house or apartment... I guess that's the swg in me.

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

Originally posted by airborne519

Finally!  It's nice to see that the devs are actually improving the game, a concept long forgotten by many mmo's.  I would still like to own my own house or apartment... I guess that's the swg in me.

Well ina way you can.if your not in a sg your toon could form one an use the base a small plot one as a home with no upkeep.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• UnSubUnSub Member Posts: 252
    Originally posted by Axeion

Well ina way you can.if your not in a sg your toon could form one an use the base a small plot one as a home with no upkeep.

Statesman has indicated that individual player housing is still on their options list. It won't be soon, of course, but they are thinking about it.
  • DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

They did say that personal apartments are being discussed, possibly could be added later on.  Not a high priority I'm sure, but they are aware that there is enough people that want it to put it on their "To DO" list.

Would be nice to get villain epic AT, but I'd rather they take their time and get them right rather than just make an "evil warshade".  I got enough alts that I can keep myself busy with my non-50's. 

• XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148

I Have been a Coh Player Since the Start of Issue 3, Cov Since beta. I Have played Both Sides And have Many Toons Pinnacle i have My 'hero's   Few lvl 50's Then A Few Lvl 40's then a Few more Down the List. So Yea, I Played Out hero Side Before Villains Came Out.. Then On Justice,  I have My Villains.. 4 Lvl 50's then a Few lvl 40's and a few 30's then Down the list.. i Have Played Out BOTH Sides of this game.. i dont Plan on Going back to heros After i played it So long.. And i want to stay a Villain.. Here's my Problem......

I thnk Heros have 27 Zones. Compared to Villains 7? witch to me = WTF??? O wait We Have the  4 Zones that Bother Sides Share for PvP.

Heros have 5 AT's with 2 Unlockable AT's u get When u have a Lvl 50 to make a total of 7 AT's, Villains Get 5 At's yea just 5, No unlockables STILL!!!!! O then there is the fact that Each Hero AT's Gets More Power Sets compared to How many options The Villains get.. So u have More Combonations of type of At's u can Make for Heros then u Do Villains..

Now Lets Move on to everything that maid Cov, well Diffrent Form Coh when it was Released. Like Powe Sets,  Costume Peices, Missions.. Well Now, Heros Have All these things as well.. They Have All the Costume Peices that was once a Villain Only thing, Bokers Turned into Detectives For Heros, Papers Mish's Turned Into Police band Mish's, Mayhems Have turned into Safegurds..  And for the Furture i have Heard talks of Bringing Over Villain Only Power Sets to the Heros Side I.E Plant Dom's to Plant Controller ninjistsu Stalkers into ninjistsu Scrappers, Electric Brutes into Electic Tanks Etc.... But no Talks Of Bringing Any More powers Form the Heros Set's to Villains?  but they Still Add more content to heros and leave Villains Go..

Were Im going With All of this is.. Everthing that Made Villains diffrent form hero's the Heros Now have... not to mentions Everyone Seems to Have Allot Less Lag playing Heros then Villains, hell i know people that Quit the Game because they Could Never Run in grandville, Most Villains Renamed it LaggVille!!

Now here We Go. More New hero Content and the Vilains get Left out.. Just About everyone i have played with Ether Quit the Game or Just Quit Vllains and started playing Heros Again becasue heros Got All the Shit Villains Once Had to themselfs,  and they have less Lagg with More Zones to Play in!!! the Main thing that gets me the Most is.. The Epics For villains.. I think its a Huge Joke How fast the epics was Released for heros think it was like 5 or 6 months? Here We Are over a year into Villains and they STILL have not released them!!

Then theres those Great ITEM"S OF POWER!!!! o yea remember those? u know the Things that Was the Point of Doing Base raids??? what ever Happen to them anyways, after almost a year of talking about them, they Finally release them, Just to Yank the Carpet out Form under us and Pull the SF/TF to get them, do to Buggs that After Months and Months Still have not been Fixxed!!  i see no say about them in issue 9 coming up? So what We Suposed to Wait Untill issue 10 now?? or 11?? that was a Key Selling Point Of villains when it was released Make Sg, Build Sg up, Get IOP, Base Raid, Defend Base!!  WITH no iOP'S base raiding Is Meaning less.. If u want to PvP as a group just to The the Arena or A PvP Zone.. Not to Mention All the Freaking Buggs with Raiding!! My Sg is the #1 Sg on justice Server, Misfit Villains!! But Even We Gave Up On base raiding Because of the Buggs, Out Last Raid Was Months Ago Vs the #3 Sg  , And it was A freaking Joke! in 60 mins of Attacking The Other Sg's Base, Every Member Has Dc's At lease 10 Times Each During the Raid.. the most was 22 times if i recall, Then the Biggest Joke was We Had 1 of there Gens Down, and Was Working On the Second, Then Everyone Form Both sides of the Raid D/c'd And when We came back Both Gens in there Base reset to Full Life!! needless to say it was A Huge Waist of time.. We Could Have All Gone to the Arena or Sirens.. I mean If We Was raiding For a IOP At least we Could have had Somthing as a Reward!!

The Bottem Line.. Im Done with this game... 2 Years and a few months. With Little to Look forward to In villains.. and Damm if im jumping back to heros.. and it looks like Just About Everone i play with Is Doing the Same, Just Look at How Many People Are Playing anymore Compard to the Way it use to be..  other then Freedom and viture Server Witch Seeem to Be were Everyone that Is Still playing Have Jumped too.. there is not Many people on..  i might return in the furture But im sure that wont be for  at least 6 months or So.. i want a Epic AT to Come out On Villains before i do Start pumping More monthly Money into this game..

The New Inventions System Looks nice in all, But thats Just Not Enough for Me to keep Playing Villains.. LOOK OUT MMO"s IM looking for a new one of you to Start playing!

• WarWolf95WarWolf95 Member Posts: 5

"In addition, the Villains get their very own “Hamidon zone” in the Abyss."

It seems to be overlooked, but villains are getting some new stuff too!!!!!  I believe Hami is a 40+ raid, so I'll look forward to it.

• XxjagoxXXxjagoxX Member Posts: 148
    Yea, Why they wasted time  re-making a New Worthless faultline Zone in hero's a worthless Zone that nobody ever went to before, And STILL Is meaning less to go to., now add New Stateman SF, Somthing Else that was a "Villain" thing Only to get a Hammi O,  Well Suprize Suprize!  Heros Get there very own Sf for Hammis now as well, Mean while Villains get a Scaled Down Boring Ass Hammi raid?? i  hated doing Hammi raids on heros, u would have 50+ people and up there,  and only about Half Fighting, the other Half Afk watching Tv or somthing because they got tired of it, then the other 25 Would all want to Give Others oders and Flame People for Not doing what they wanted.. I rather Do The Sf to get my hammi"s, and i was Happy that It was a Villain Only thing..

Heres the Bottom Line NcSoft

Villains is dying and its dying fast,, i'm sure u know this.. and this is how u pump life back into it.. So get Up off ur ass's and Make this happen

#1 Release The Lvl 50 Unlockable AT's for Villains.. DO IT NOW!!!  

#2 Release at least 1 new Zone Any lvl range Would be nice, But i would Perfer a lvl 40 to 50 Zone.. Somthing other then Being Forced to Play in  Laggville Opps i mean Grandville  form Lvl 40 thru 50.. AND I DONT MEAN Another PVP ZONE!!!! that "Both" Sides Share! Hell Even a Zone that would Allow Both Heros and Villains to "Team up" And play in would Be nice lvl 40 to 50 range that is.   

#3 Release the Freaking Items of Power Already!!! yea the IOP"S!!! make base's be for somthing other then Some place to Go to use Porter's or Store stuff in, and on that note change the permissions so that People can Take from the Inspnitations And Enhancment bens but cant take form the Salvage racks... This would Open it up more for people cuzz Most Sg leaders have there Settings Ranked HIGH! in fear Of New Recurits Stealing all there Salvage, witch Makes most members in a sg un able to store anything in there base..

These are the BIg 3!!!!! that Should have happen a long time ago IMO.. There is other things i can list as well that i would love to see done, But lets not get ahead of ourselfs, Just Do what should have been done already...

• JudasenJudasen Member Posts: 2
    So can someone explain this to me?  Does Garrett Fuller work for NCSoft or something?  Because here on MMORPG.com it says "News Editor Garrett Fuller sits down with Matt "Positron" Miller, the Lead Designer for Cryptic Studios' City of Heroes / Villains about Issue 9, the game's next free expansion."

But everywhere else where this interview is posted, this is an inhouse interview and NOT an outside media outlet.

And this is the heading that goes along with the interview that seems to be missing:

"This internally produced Q&A with lead developer Matt "Positron" Miller takes you through all the highlights of "Breakthrough"

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    This was done accidentally by the company.

Garrett Fuller, who is our News Editor, wrote those questions for an exclusive Q&A. Through that I can only assume was an error, this was released elsewhere as an "in-house" Q&A.

Hope that clears things up

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• JudasenJudasen Member Posts: 2
    Yep sure does.  Had me scratching my head there for a while.

Thanks.