Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Worker Misconduct Allegations Addressed

EvE Online Community Manager Kieron addresses the allegations of CCP employee misconduct on the EvE forums.

Our goal is to provide the best possible game, gaming experience and development process possible. In light of that, we would like to address the recent allegations of CCP employee misconduct. CCP has taken these charges very seriously and since they surfaced we have launched a thorough investigation consisting of an examination of character histories ranging back to their creation as well as into any connected characters owned by the developers involved. This examination was performed by the same internal division which is also tasked with standard periodic audits of all developer and volunteer accounts. Areas of investigation include, but are not limited to: messaging history, financial and transactional history, combat and corporation logs, item and cash transfers and IP logs.

As for the allegations themselves, they consist of two parts. The first part involved a case that happened seven months ago when a CCP employee's identity became public knowledge within his corporation. Per company policy, the incident was investigated and actions taken where appropriate, including the removal of characters whose identities were compromised.

The second part of the accusations stem from a leak of information pertaining to an in-game event arc. Due to the amount of time that has passed since the planning and execution of the event arc, we have not been able to confirm nor deny the veracity of these allegations.

In both cases, these accusations were recently brought forward when a player revealed the identity of numerous CCP employee characters. Since these play characters are known to belong to CCP employees, they will be removed from the game. Many of them have been around since the creation of EVE and it is most unfortunate that these developers are now forced to end their relationships with their in-game friends, but that is our policy when the anonymity of staff members has been compromised.

Last summer, CCP implemented stricter monitoring procedures and audits on all CCP employees' EVE accounts. We are confident that our rigid procedures and protocol will prevent any misconduct or, at least, allow us to quickly discover it, should such an unfortunate scenario arise.

As the community knows well, we at CCP enjoy not only playing EVE Online, but improving EVE and interacting with our playerbase. We feel EVE benefits from the developers playing EVE as any other members of the community do, and to impose artificial limitations -- such as no access to Tranquility or special flagging on a developer's player character -- would greatly hinder the development of EVE.

CCP is very passionate about EVE Online and is committed to its continued growth. We hope that this statement will put this issue behind us once and for all and allow us to continue moving forward with the support of our community.

Read more here.

Comments

• eveplayer101eveplayer101 Member Posts: 39
    CCP have screwed us once again, well no more i say, i have canceled my subscription, as im sure many others are in the process of doing.

It's a sad day for EVE
  • brokenneedlebrokenneedle Member Posts: 100
    That thread they posted this in was like 22 pages a few hours ago. Haven't looked back since.  Haven't played Eve in about a year but definately had some good times when i did play.  Well, hope they clean up their act!

imageimage

• Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855

Oh well some developer decided to release aload of info and ruin the game for other developers : What a retard.

I don't see why your blaming CCP? This could happen in any company, atleast CCP are doing sumthing about it right away.

• M4rvinM4rvin Member Posts: 4
    Truly a disappointing whitewash from CCP. Kugutsumen uncovered several tangible severe infractions, CCP promised us an investigation and a detailed account on what they uncovered. And this is what we get?!? It reeks of a cover up, if anyone had any doubt before I think CCP made a good job removing it with this pathetic exscuse of an explanation.
  • WARCRYtmWARCRYtm Member Posts: 875
    Originally posted by eveplayer101

CCP have screwed us once again, well no more i say, i have canceled my subscription, as im sure many others are in the process of doing.

It's a sad day for EVE

It wasnt CCP that screwed, it was a retard DEV

Once again???? CCP isnt SOE

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236
    Originally posted by eveplayer101

It's a sad day for EVE
    You're cancelling your subscription because a developer ruined the game for other developers by having their characters removed for leaking info about who the developers play as?

How is CCP screwing you exactly?

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

Originally posted by Veiled_light

Oh well some developer decided to release aload of info and ruin the game for other developers : What a retard.

I don't see why your blaming CCP? This could happen in any company, atleast CCP are doing sumthing about it right away.
    They aren't doing anything about it. It's possible they haven't even understood what the problem is.
    Originally posted by M4rvin

They aren't doing anything about it. It's possible they haven't even understood what the problem is.

Did you not read the article?
  • HackerZCHackerZC Member Posts: 17
    This brings a LOT into questions. For instance, was anyone I ever played with a Dev.... or was I ever killed by one? Did they ever have any special knowledge or benefit that I did not that allowed them to advance faster!? All good questions.

I left late last year just before the newest update, having played since 2004. I miss my friends there but the game will drive you mad if you let it.

I left in 2004 though :P I didn't like all the new updates :(

Played from release 2003 to mid 2004

Well yes I did. But you have to read kieros first post too, and the allegations brought forward by Kugutsumen. Was or wasn't Dianabolic sworn to secrecy by CCP? I can't find that out in kierons post. Did RKK get 10 T2 BPO:s off Ishos (a developer called t20) when he was outed as an developer by someone? I can't find that answer in kierons post either. If so, is that ok with CCP? Exactly how did Dianabolic know Ishos was outed as a dev by an alt and not someones main? Why was that person afraid (sensible enough) a mere player like Dianabolic should get information on who petitioned Ishos as a dev to get him out of Band of Developers to use an alt and not his main?

As you can see CCP hasn't answered shit and made no attempt to clear their name and apparently probably won't either.
  • cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

kieron say

I am closing the thread to further discussion. It was my hope that the replies to the original statement would remain on topic, but due to the lack of clarity in that statement this was not the case.

To those that are saying, "CCP will sweep this under the rug and not offer further comment", you are incorrect. More information and answers will be posted before the start of the weekend.

BestSigEver :P

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

Well yes I did. But you have to read kieros first post too, and the allegations brought forward by Kugutsumen. Was or wasn't Dianabolic sworn to secrecy by CCP? I can't find that out in kierons post. Did RKK get 10 T2 BPO:s off Ishos (a developer called t20) when he was outed as an developer by someone? I can't find that answer in kierons post either. If so, is that ok with CCP? Exactly how did Dianabolic know Ishos was outed as a dev by an alt and not someones main? Why was that person afraid (sensible enough) a mere player like Dianabolic should get information on who petitioned Ishos as a dev to get him out of Band of Developers to use an alt and not his main?

As you can see CCP hasn't answered shit and made no attempt to clear their name and apparently probably won't either.

"Since these play characters are known to belong to CCP employees, they will be removed from the game."

How is that not a resolution?

---

Originally posted by godpuppet

"Since these play characters are known to belong to CCP employees, they will be removed from the game."

It doesn't answer any of the questions. If you're interested read kugutsumens forum. If that's a resolution, then as far as we know devs will continue to join BoB, out themselves as devs to BoB:s top brass, donate isk and BPO:s, leak game mechanisms and other CCP secrets , turn a blind eye to bannable EULA violations until they're outed on eve-o by a hacker. When that happens they retire the character or change it's name and start all over again.
  • andykimbrougandykimbroug Member Posts: 36

It doesn't answer any of the questions. If you're interested read kugutsumens forum. If that's a resolution, then as far as we know devs will continue to join BoB, out themselves as devs to BoB:s top brass, donate isk and BPO:s, leak game mechanisms and other CCP secrets , turn a blind eye to bannable EULA violations until they're outed on eve-o by a hacker. When that happens they retire the character or change it's name and start all over again.

I'm sure that misbehaving devs will get their due back in the office.  it is not in the interest of the company to have employees who make the company look like a bunch of fools.  I hope that people value their jobs enough not to make asses out of themselves. "When that happens they retire the character or change it's name and start all over again WITH A NEW JOB BECAUSE THEY GOT FIRED FOR BEING STUPID."  developers are a great asset, but they are replaceable when they start to bring the company down.

-andy
  • sleepyguyftlsleepyguyftl Member Posts: 648
    This pretty much kills any arguement that Eve is fair to everyone. The devs should be fired, plain and simple. They were abusing their powers to win in the game.
  • CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

BoB cheats not CCP. Good job CCP.

That's not a resolution because no action was taken against those who benefited from the devs actions. BoB should be disbanded and anyone in BoB who was directly interacting in a manner not in keeping with the rules should be banned.

Originally posted by cosy
    kieron say

I am closing the thread to further discussion. It was my hope that the replies to the original statement would remain on topic, but due to the lack of clarity in that statement this was not the case.

To those that are saying, "CCP will sweep this under the rug and not offer further comment", you are incorrect. More information and answers will be posted before the start of the weekend.

I've had the chance to meet with and speak to Keiron at length(not about this issue). He's a good man. If there's anything he can do to put this right.. Trust me he'll do it.

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166
    Not really a surprising result of this investigation. Most of the allegations seemed pretty baseless anyway. It's also not very surprising that people won't accept this result whether it's the correct one or not.

Originally posted by Bluefix
    Not really a surprising result of this investigation. Most of the allegations seemed pretty baseless anyway. It's also not very surprising that people won't accept this result whether it's the correct one or not.

what do you mean? They found that in fact there were devs in bob who let bob know they were devs. Action has been taken on what they've found so far. They aren't done looking. Now that they know BoB had devs in it that were in fact breaking the rules by letting people know they were CCP employees i'm sure they'll find more. Baseless? Seems to me they found the evidence to suggest just the opposite.

• AgrikaanAgrikaan Member Posts: 9
    Well, quitting EVE over this is ridiculous, so what, a few devs MAYBE got some advantages, or MAYBE helped some friends. There are people (players) out there that scam others (morally the same imho, although not against any EULA). There are those that use/have used exploits to get rich. And if we all could use ~ to get a console, most would be hard pressed not to use it...

I'll withold my judgement a few more days, at least they can get some time to find the "evidence" and come clean. Even so, I prefer a game where 99% of the devs play their own game, as passionately as the rest. There's always at least one rotten apple in any barrel. Won't stop med from eating fruit.
  • BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Copeland

what do you mean? They found that in fact there were devs in bob who let bob know they were devs. Action has been taken on what they've found so far. They aren't done looking. Now that they know BoB had devs in it that were in fact breaking the rules by letting people know they were CCP employees i'm sure they'll find more. Baseless? Seems to me they found the evidence to suggest just the opposite.

I said "most of the allegations". That one thing isn't really something that worry me.

Originally posted by Agrikaan
    Well, quitting EVE over this is ridiculous, so what, a few devs MAYBE got some advantages, or MAYBE helped some friends. There are people (players) out there that scam others (morally the same imho, although not against any EULA). There are those that use/have used exploits to get rich. And if we all could use ~ to get a console, most would be hard pressed not to use it...I'll withold my judgement a few more days, at least they can get some time to find the "evidence" and come clean. Even so, I prefer a game where 99% of the devs play their own game, as passionately as the rest. There's always at least one rotten apple in any barrel. Won't stop med from eating fruit.

Well i actually cancelled my account because of the Alliances in 0.0. They just plain suck. BoB, IRON, D2, PA, ASCN they all lie to their members. It's hard to fight for something when you know you're being fed lies.

Originally posted by Copeland  

I said "most of the allegations". That one thing isn't really something that worry me.

If you're ever in a big 0.0 war against BoB and all your pos's go offline or 6 billion isk worth of resources are taken from an operational pos you'll understand. People always used to say it was BoB infiltration but i know from experience that in a few cases that would have been impossible and thats when people started whispering that there had to be devs involved with BoB. Now we find that there were in fact devs in BoB. I don't think they'll have to look too hard. Actually i think if they just tell the devs to come clean or clean out their desk they'll find the answers pretty fast.