Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Press Event Preview

Garrett Fuller attended a press event in Fairfax Virginia and learned a great deal about EA Mythic's Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

What can be said about Warhammer Online that has not been said already? The hype on this game continues to grow by leaps and bounds on the internet. With Paul Barnett driving the crazy train and everybody trying to jump on board for the wild ride, it is easy to see why Warhammer is quickly growing as the next big MMO. One huge question remains, can it deliver? Can it live up to the hype? Can the new game mechanics of Public Quests, a vast series of character development tables, customization through RvR trophies, and the sacking of major cities really grab the players by the neck and shake them into the intensity of Warhammer Online?

Read the entire article here.

Comments

• SLoGHSLoGH Member UncommonPosts: 5
    the link to the entire article doesnt seem to work.
  • GarfunkelGarfunkel Member UncommonPosts: 224

Nope, liks not working just sending us round in circles.

• GFullsGFulls Member Posts: 478
    Hang on we'll have it fixed in a few
  • GarfunkelGarfunkel Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by GFulls

Hang on we'll have it fixed in a few
    Thanks, it's working now

• FrostenFrosten Member Posts: 5
    I'm so excited about this game! RvR baby! What more can you want? :)
  • checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236
    The severed hands hanging from the mutated Chaos banner is a nice touch.  The link with the bright wizard and the one with the Black Orc don't seem to be working.

Overall it sounds awesome.  Looks like Empire/Chaos is moving along well since they were able to play as the Bright Wizard.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• NoctiqueNoctique Member Posts: 216
    WTB Ticket on Insane train please,

So looking forward to this game now, just makes me smile knowning this game has changed so much since its first conception and has even withstood a ressurection to get here and now, fantastic.

Hoping for more news and screenshots to be fixed.

Die Noctique, By Day and Night

• Darkz0rDarkz0r Member Posts: 78

Zhomg the hype !

Lets hope it can deliver, I cant wait. :)

Taking a general look so far, I guess it wont be a hit as WoW (Since its PvP focused, WoW is way more carebear'ish) but still will be a nice game. Smaller community with a playable size = huge ones.

• ArgentArgent Member Posts: 20
    I am a big fan of the Warhammer universe (table top game) but I dont see W.A.R. as really offering anything new.   Humans, elves and orcs with swords and magic.   It  has already been done a dozen (or so)  times.    Now if Mythic can make a Warhammer 40K MMO, THAT would be awesome! 
  • raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326

"The production of the game is moving along very well with 150 employees now working on the game. With any luck, it will meet the release date at the end of 2007."

^ Best part of the article.

There are two main reasons why I am looking forward to this game.

1. The main emphasis is RvR PvP and not an endless equipment grind.

2. The big budget and talent behind this game suggests it will be a high quality, mostly bug free, complete product and not a half-finished game like nearly all MMOGs.

• admiralnlsonadmiralnlson Member UncommonPosts: 240

WWWWAaaaAAAAaaaaaaAAAaaaaaagg ! image

This article just refilled my will to play the game to 100%.image

Originality is the way to go for upcoming MMOs. No more copies, and the MMO market will flourish again, I'm sure of it.

---
    Waiting for: GW2
    *thumbs up*: GW, Eve(, WoW)
    *thumbs down*: MO, GA, FE

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

Mythic couldn't balance pong.  I have no doubt that huge class imbalances will plague WAR (unfortunately).  I hope I'm wrong.

It's good to see that they say the game isn't designed for folks to sit around for 8 hours trying to complete something.  Perhaps the folks at Mythic finally learned something from the Trials of Atlantis expansion disaster.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by SBE1

Mythic couldn't balance pong.  I have no doubt that huge class imbalances will plague WAR (unfortunately).  I hope I'm wrong.
    It's good to see that they say the game isn't designed for folks to sit around for 8 hours trying to complete something.  Perhaps the folks at Mythic finally learned something from the Trials of Atlantis expansion disaster.

Hater.  I've never played an MMORPG yet (and I've played a lot of them) where people didn't feel one class was over-powered over some other. So of course, balancing classes is a full time job and never ends. I'm glad to see game companies re-address these issues and make changes, otherwise some classes would fade into obliviion.

and yes....lets hope Mythic never repeats the mistakes of TOA by trying to be a game for all players....stick with the core RvR market and all will be well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Every game I have played hasn't been able to get class balancing right.  Mythic did a pretty good job considering the number of class (what 40+) over 3 realms they needed to balance.  Look at WoW they can't balance 6 classes.  :(

I am really looking forward to this game.  I loved DAoC and would still be playing it if the population was higher and the game ran a little bit smoother,   I hate the clunky feel of the engine and UI. 

I will say that WAR is about the only game I am looking forward too. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• TyphynyTyphyny Member UncommonPosts: 21

OMG, I wanna play nowwwww!

Really I do.  But I will patiently wait. 

I want the game to come out finished and stable, not like some MMO's where the release day still feels like beta.

Mythic is the only MMO maker that has ever done PvP (RvR) right. I've been hyping the game to everyone of my family and friends and we all look forward to being there opening day.  Though I don't normally preorder games I will be preordering this one if they offer it.

I played DAoC from the first week of release.  After several years playing I left over class balance issues and then when ToA came out I didn't look back and went on to play WoW. WoW had the right idea at one time for class balance.  A rock, paper, scissors type of individual class balance which also worked in a group (right number/combo of rocks ,papers,scissors in a group). But this class and that class moaned enough so that Blizz caved and now the class balance leaves something to be desired.   After getting 6 toons to lvl 60 in WoW I hungered for real PvP (RvR) and since have gone back to DAoC (classic servers).  I still love WoW it's a lot  of fun to play to 60.  I just don't like to raid at all if I can avoid it and the PvP at 60 just doesn't offer what I'm looking for.  When it comes to PvP no game can hold a candle to Mythic's DAoC. That being said I can only imagine how wonderful PvP will be in WAR. If they could find a nice meld of the ease of play and fun to play of  WoW with the rich depth of PvP (RvR) in DAoC this would be the best MMO and IMHO the one thtat all future MMO's should look to.

I have never wanted a year in my life to go by so quickly as I do right now, lol.  All I want for Christmas this year is WAR :)

(But I'll gladly wait till after the new year for a sound, stable release rather than a buggy beta like version out for the Christmas rush if the games not quite ready yet. This could be the best MMO ever made to date so I hope they present it to the public in top form.)

My IQ is 145 - Free-IQTest.net - MENSA Test

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

I gotta say that this is one of the few mmo's im looking forward to.

as long as they dont kill themselves again with hardcore pve raiding, this game is gonna rock teh sox off.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    I have been watching this game before there was a website at all for it , hehe. I really hope it turns out good, but it is more wow in all aspects then DAOC , which is rather sad, but it still looks good. I still think I will enjoy it greatly becuase of the class varity and the RvR system to keep me busy. Of late, everything i have read has only increased my desire to play so i am waiting :)

As for my impresions of its similarities between WAR and wow or DAOC, i feel that it takes the class differnces more the DAOC ,which is great no other game includeing EQ has had more differnt classes then DAOC. While some people argued this caused balancing issues i never really thought so , other than in a  few classes cases (most classes had their own abilities to offer a group). WAr is more of a sythesis between wow and daoc becuase it is limiting the roles of each side , but is giving them mostly unquie abilitys to fit the same roles.

All and all i think that WAR will blow up.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine