Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Interview With Erik Mogensen

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

News Editor Garrett Fuller had the chance to sit down for a one on one with Erik Morgensen from Games Workshop to talk about Warhammer Online from the perspective of the licenser of the Warhammer IP.

MMORPG.com:

2006 was a big year for Games Workshop with the launch of Mark of Chaos, the Dawn of War expansions, and of course the development of Warhammer Online. Can you give us some insight into what is on the plate for 2007?

Erik Mogensen:

First of all, I'd like to wish you and all the MMORPG.com fans out there a very happy New Year. 2007 is going to be very exciting for all of us!

Obviously, the big news for MMO fans is that there is now less than a year to wait until Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning's release date. We all know how fast a year can go by! I'm afraid I'm going to have to resort to the old 'nothing's been announced yet' regarding other projects. Sorry. Our other licensees THQ and Namco Bandai Games have plans in the works, but I'm going to leave it to them to reveal what's cooking when they think the time is right. I'll tell you this much: I'm very busy these days!

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Does anyone know if the 40K IP can be licensed by another company or is it bundled with the fantasy version, and thus currently held by Mythic EA?
  • katarn0katarn0 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by raykor

Does anyone know if the 40K IP can be licensed by another company or is it bundled with the fantasy version, and thus currently held by Mythic EA?
    I haven't seen anything stating EA Mythic has the rights for 40k, in fact it seems like they don't cause the developers say they went for Warhammer Fantasy only.
  • AhotareAhotare Member Posts: 43
    Good news, though understandably a bit vague.  I look forward to more specific disclosures and descriptions as the release date draws near.

I really, really, REALLY hope that it doesn't suffer from a poor release :P  As post-WoW MMOs take aim at the mainstream gaming crowd, they should keep in mind the lower tolerance its members have for products that are buggy.
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

The 40K licence is still held by THQ. Mythic holds rights specifically for the creation of MMOs in the Warhammer Fantasy setting.

I believe THQ's licence expires in 2008, however. At least, that was the word last year. They may well have signed another contract by now. There was a rumour floating around in December about THQ's Relic beginning work on a 40K MMO, but I'm doubtful due to their lack of experience in the genre.

Not that this stopped Blizzard.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • HelioconHeliocon Member Posts: 44
    Maybe its just me but I think a warhammer 40k mmorpg would be impracticle. btw I dont like space marines! but i am relsly really looking forward to this game!  all praise warhammer
  • LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    From the way i read his reply concerning Warhammer 40k. Its a case of not right now as we are buisy with Warhammer fantasy but maybee later and i poersonally would love to do it.

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

Personally I can't wait... but I do need to point something out...

He forgot to call them EA Mythic!!! Mwahaha!!

GW and Mythic both bring different areas of expertise to the table, and we work very well together.

I just found that humorous, as he said he had to remember. Either way, I can't wait for the MMO rendition of this IP. Do us justice Mythic (and I call them that on purpose, I refuse to call them EA Mythic on my own time =P)

• TermTerm Member Posts: 8
    I would puke if there was a 40k mmorpg. it would need to be an mmofps.
  • Dark_Lord_13Dark_Lord_13 Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by Term

http://www.mmorpg.com/

I'm sorry, I thought this was the website I was on.  Therefore was supposed to be in discussions about MMORPG's not MMOFPS's.  Let's me just check here......yep, that's where I am, so therefore you are on the wrong website.  Go play Halo.

• DormanDorman Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Dark_Lord_13

Originally posted by Term

http://www.mmorpg.com/

I'm sorry, I thought this was the website I was on.  Therefore was supposed to be in discussions about MMORPG's not MMOFPS's.  Let's me just check here......yep, that's where I am, so therefore you are on the wrong website.  Go play Halo.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/487  So Planetside is an MMORPG now?  I didn't think so.  Most MMO's lost the RP bit a good while ago sadly, so surely this should be MMOG.com? No, as they use one domain, for one general site for MMO's.  For example, cheese with a label on it saying bread, does not make it bread.

And yes, 40k to me would suit the MMOFPS platform better than MMORPG.

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236
    Blargy.  :)

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• CoirCoir Member Posts: 97
    If Wahammer goes well with EA Mythic then I would 10% bank on the fact that they'll be given the nod for 40k. Imperator was setting up to be a 40kish world setting. And lets face a 40K mmo done right would fill a much needed niche. And as suck with mum and dad players now on board (thanks Bliz) they wouldn't mind taking a punt at 'sci-fi mmo'.

At least all imho.
  • SmoerbleSmoerble Member Posts: 8
    I would love to become a Beta tester for Warhammer online... unfortunately it seems that we, europeans, have always issues to take part in Betas, even though north americasn can sometimes even pre-order games and get a beta account automatically.

I just hope for WO it get's better... can't wait to get my hands on it :)