Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recruitement Guide - Please sticky

NoahBuddyNoahBuddy Member Posts: 3

Guide from Nicoli

I reposted this thread to make it easier for new member to
read to get some help when looking for a new corp to join. Also using
some stuff by Elnator that he has posted. This will cover some things
from both the recruiter and Recruitee side.

First I'll give you guys the low down on recruiting requirements from a
CEO/Corp  perspective so you understand our reasoning and why we have
the restrictions.

NO Trial -- Basically trial accounts are
people that haven't solidified that they are going to stay in EVE. As
corps do have a max member limit based on skill training it can be a
management nightmare to keep track of who is inactive do to RL and who
is a trial account that will never comeback. Also a good chance that
you don't know what you want to do in EVE yet and with limited corp
resources I don't want to help someone out that will leave the corp in
a few days.

SP requirement -- First these weed out alts. most
alts have next to no training on them so by saying you have to have
1mil SP or so means the character isn't a alt. Other reasons is some
corps participate in activities that will give you NO learning time.
When you join you will be tossed into the thick of things and you'll
either sink or swim. In alot of cases having more SP gives you a better
understanding of the game and as such a greater chance of swimming than
sinking. As a personnal expierence once a player has around 1-2mil SP
they start to realise what they don't know which makes them more
receptive to take suggestions from us who have been around a while.

Convo
me/join a channel -- Believe it or not this is a weeding out tool in
recruitment. CEO's want people who take initative, and aren't afraid to
speak up. EVE supports aggresive personalities, these are the people
who aren't going to fall through the cracks of the corp and leave
because they are pissed from the lack of help. We can't help those who
don't tell us they are in need. Also when you approach a corp, ask a
bunch of questions, you'll wind up enjoying it more likely if you do
join anyway.

Now
that you have all that I'll use Elnator as a example and I'll quote his
reply once I'm done. When he went looking for a corp, he more and
likely new a few things:

1. What type of activities he enjoys
    2. What how he can help a corp meet its goal
    3. What he hope the corp can help him with

Those
3 things are key to finding a good corp and alot of newer players
haven't figured them out yet.  You can usually identify people who
don't know these because they have a new corp in they're employment
history every few days. or they are a corp spy which means if you
switch corps alot don't expect a lot of corps to be wiling to take you
on either.

Anyway hopefully all that rambling helps someone
with a understanding of things and I'm sure I have missed a few reasons
elsewhere.

Reply by Elnator

Good example Nicoli,

And I'll go even further and agree 200% on
the 'be agressive and ask questions' when joining a corp.  When I was
looking I contacted 3 recruiters.

Before they even started talking I hit all 3 with the same questions:
1) What hours does the bulk of your corp play
2) What type of activities does your corp primarily do
3) Where is the corp's base of operations and how often do you move

From there I started digging down into those categories to find out:
a) What would be required of me by the corp
b) How the corp helps it's members (or doesn't)
c) What kind of allliances the corp is in and how often it changes
d) How long it's been around

I
didn't get *asked* a single question (and I don't generally get asked a
lot of questions on Job interviews either because I tend to do the same
thing there.)  I know how I like to play and I ask questions to
determine if my playstyle will mesh with that of the corp. 

Don't
be rude or overbearing but by asking pointed, but polite, questions you
will not only instil confidence in the recruiter you're talking to but
you will also show that you have a desire to succeed.  And that is key.

Comments

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    Trying to take my POST, Don't worry. just reminder to those that read this, in no way shape or form do all corps have these requirements. And these were a quick collection of requirements that I have seen, and the reasoning behind them. If anyone wants any requirement explained let me know and I'll track down the reason for it best I can.

• NoahBuddyNoahBuddy Member Posts: 3
    Not trying to scoop, just good info & relevant to this board.

• DizzeeDizzee Member Posts: 7
    I just thought I'd add a few points.. and you get a free bump  :)

All quality corps have a public channel.. not one specially created for recruiting.. spend time in it.. get to know the people, quality corps have friends in other corps, this is where they chat. If you try and get to know them a little before joining you will see how they operate, and wether you will get along with them. If they limit you to the recuitment channel then alarm bells should ring! Their public channel can be eaily maintained to keep out the unwanted so there should be no excuse not to allow you in.

Are they recuiting quanitity over quality? Avoid corps on big recuitment drives.. they are just padding out their numbers.

View the info of it's members, see how long they have been in the corp themselves.. were they in corps together prior to that.. that will give you an idea wether the corp has any true foundations.

If it is a new corp what is the purpose of the corp! make sure it wasn't created because the ceo doesn't fit into other corps.

What are the corps assets (without getting in to much detail.. does it have any.. can you use them? it is possable (and advisable) that members do not get removal access to bpo's.. but they can still use them.

How does the corp make it's isk?? Is a big question.. how will you when/if you become a member?? Does it all sound to good to be true, the promise of huge amounts of isk and factions ships? Do you think they have realistic goals?

Quality corps look after their members (obviously) they don't offer free ships to get people to join. You'd probably get one if you needed it and deserved it. If they try and buy your membership with free gifts.. run!

They should not give you ultimatums of when to join unless they genuinly are filling a specific slot and have other candidates. They should be happy your willing to take the time to get to know them.

See if they take the time to get to know you.. if they recuit you when it was you who asked all the questions and they have asked none then they are recuiting a stranger.. this will give you an idea of the quality of it's other members.

These are people you will share time with, go on adventures with... would you trust them to watch your back when the boat your traveling took untold hours of gameplay to earn?

Take your time and try get it right, if your emplyment history shows you jumping corp every month then quality corps might no longer be interested in you!

• ziphiiziphii Member Posts: 17
    As a complete and total newb, I have a bunch of questions.  A good one for this thread seems to be...

Is there anywhere an explanation of the general kinds of corporations that exist?  I know that there is a huge flexibilty within the game to make your corp whatever you want it to be, but are there certain categories that you could place most corps into?  What do corps do besides fight in space to kill pirates or be pirates?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!  Zazana

"Did you see us fight?"

"No"

"Trap!"

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by ziphii
    As a complete and total newb, I have a bunch of questions.  A good one for this thread seems to be...

Is there anywhere an explanation of the general kinds of corporations that exist?  I know that there is a huge flexibilty within the game to make your corp whatever you want it to be, but are there certain categories that you could place most corps into?  What do corps do besides fight in space to kill pirates or be pirates?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!  Zazana

Hi Zaz...

Since I recently got moved to a recruiter role in my corp I'll probably frequent this board a bit more often primarily as I enjoy the MMORPG.COM community already and have been here for a long time though silent for the most part till my recent return to EVE. 

There are load of different kinds of corps in EVE.  Many fill multiple roles but here's a general layout of the primary roles Corps tend to choose:
    Mining/Crafting
    Mission Running
    Pirate
    Mercenary
    PVP
    Research/RND/Crafting

Hope this answers your questions.  As to where there's a list of categories?  Since there really aren't any 'hard set rules' in EVE as to "what you can be" there really isn't a hard set rule of what corporations can or will be either.

There are even corporations that exist solely for the purpose of spying on other corporations.  MOST corporations, however, fall into one (or more) of the above Categories.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• JBPDudeJBPDude Member Posts: 3
    Nicely Written
  • raquanraquan Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by NoahBuddy
    SP requirement -- First these weed out alts. most alts have next to no training on them so by saying you have to have 1mil SP or so means the character isn't a alt. Other reasons is some corps participate in activities that will give you NO learning time. When you join you will be tossed into the thick of things and you'll either sink or swim. In alot of cases having more SP gives you a better understanding of the game and as such a greater chance of swimming than sinking. As a personnal expierence once a player has around 1-2mil SP they start to realise what they don't know which makes them more receptive to take suggestions from us who have been around a while.

Since Revelations patch all newly created characters and alts that had less then 1M skillpoints now have arround 900k skillpoints, so this requirement as been raised by most of the corps that impose it.

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

Good stuff! All newbies must read this!

Keep on rockin'!image

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

I'm a recruitment officer for GURKA and my ingame name is Black Baroness please feel free to Pm me and ask any question about us personally. We do not need any returing player to have x amount of Skill points as we train all new recruits. The reason for this is that many players want to take part in PVP but lack the skills to do this, so we teach you the basics skills and then move you to our null sec and help you hone them. Not many corps do this as it takes lots of time to mold skills and teach the edge.

Most corps demand you have these skills and will have you fly out to them and days later drop you without a word when they find out you lack the PVP skills they need, so don't fall for this. Do your home work!

By covering some of the basic flying skills and also having a corp ship program this allows newer players to enjoy the 30% of the game which many players never see. Many corps will not dedecate time teaching you to stay alive in game, however we found teaching players from scratch keeps them loyal to us and they stay in game longer and can even plex their accounts monthly with the isk they make.

We have over 1,100 players and use TS daily we also fleet PVE, Mining opps and of course roaming and PVP fleets opps protecting our space. This month alone we have recruited over 200 new player into our corp so it's very active indeed.

Does it suit everyone? No, but you always have the option to try other corps. Do we promise the world on a stick? Nope but if you have a team ethic and are willing to learn and be part of the bigger picture then I'm sure you will fit in just fine and I look forward to chatting with anyone who has any questions, as long as they not on sport ;)

Fly safer with GURKA o7

Black Baroness.

Asbo

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by NightBandit

I'm a recruitment officer for GURKA and my ingame name is Black Baroness please feel free to Pm me and ask any question about us personally. We do not need any returing player to have x amount of Skill points as we train all new recruits. The reason for this is that many players want to take part in PVP but lack the skills to do this, so we teach you the basics skills and then move you to our null sec and help you hone them. Not many corps do this as it takes lots of time to mold skills and teach the edge.

Most corps demand you have these skills and will have you fly out to them and days later drop you without a word when they find out you lack the PVP skills they need, so don't fall for this. Do your home work!

By covering some of the basic flying skills and also having a corp ship program this allows newer players to enjoy the 30% of the game which many players never see. Many corps will not dedecate time teaching you to stay alive in game, however we found teaching players from scratch keeps them loyal to us and they stay in game longer and can even plex their accounts monthly with the isk they make.

We have over 1,100 players and use TS daily we also fleet PVE, Mining opps and of course roaming and PVP fleets opps protecting our space. This month alone we have recruited over 200 new player into our corp so it's very active indeed.

Does it suit everyone? No, but you always have the option to try other corps. Do we promise the world on a stick? Nope but if you have a team ethic and are willing to learn and be part of the bigger picture then I'm sure you will fit in just fine and I look forward to chatting with anyone who has any questions, as long as they not on sport ;)

Fly safer with GURKA o7

Black Baroness.

Good info on your corp here

I emailed you through Eve's site

Thanks

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by outfctrl
    Originally posted by NightBandit

Fly safer with GURKA o7

Black Baroness.

Good info on your corp here

I emailed you through Eve's site

Thanks

Glad you liked our post and thanks for you in game email and I know you will enjoy our corp and I look forward to flying with you in Eve.

Asbo

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272
    I will try to email you

Keep on rockin'!image

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198

Are you looking for a miner? I need a new corp, since I just re-subbed a few days ago!

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".