Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: CES Preview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Carolyn Koh had a chance at this year's CES in Las Vegas to sit down in front of Funcom's upcoming title Age of Conan to get a hands on peek at the highly anticipated MMORPG.

Funcom was represented at CES2007 this year in the Games for Windows area in the Las Vegas Convention Center. I don't usually brave the "zoo" but did so this year for the sake of MMORPG.com readers.

Despite Windows Vista blue screens of deaths with both computers, we managed to see a little of the newbie experience on Age of Conan. Due to launch in summer 2007, Age of Conan:Hyborian Adventures is three years in the making, and currently in the Friends and Family stage of closed beta.

I spoke with Erling Ellingsen, Product Manager and Jorgen Tharaldsen, Product Director of Funcom, Norway of whom I asked to describe the world of Conan for those not familiar with the IP. Jorgen's description was quite succinct. "We are brutal barbarians struggling for survival in Hyboria."

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• KraptorKraptor Member Posts: 359
    When will I get my sword from you guys? You know the one that comes with the AOC pack prize
  • aristoculousaristoculous Member Posts: 159
    FFA PVP Servers!! Sweet
  • LyfeLyfe Member Posts: 45
    I truly hope that funcon doesn't try and cater to the masses, and just goes with what they find fun. I find it funny that you can swing your sword through multiple enemies with armor. It would be cool if your sword got stuck in a person, or rebounded off their armor!
  • RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Great article written by someone who will definitely play AoC. :D

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • XaltharXalthar Member Posts: 11
    Cool, elaborative article.
  • ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108
    Hope to hear about crafting.Magic users seem to definately be downplayed.
  • SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290

If anyone is interested in checking out a unique guild concept for this up comming game then go to the City of Lochlainn website.

http://www.conan.ch/lochlainn/

This game should be a real blast for the mature gamer

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108
    Pretty neat Sabbicat.
  • SinuousSinuous Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by Sabbicat

If anyone is interested in checking out a unique guild concept for this up comming game then go to the City of Lochlainn website.
    I really wish they were including player housing with release, but as long as it's part of an expansion, it's better that they finish the other aspects of the game first to hit their launch window.
  • SinuousSinuous Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by Stradden

Carolyn Koh had a chance at this year's CES in Las Vegas to sit down in front of Funcom's upcoming title Age of Conan to get a hands on peek at the highly anticipated MMORPG.

Funcom was represented at CES2007 this year in the Games for Windows area in the Las Vegas Convention Center. I don't usually brave the "zoo" but did so this year for the sake of MMORPG.com readers.

Despite Windows Vista blue screens of deaths with both computers, we managed to see a little of the newbie experience on Age of Conan. Due to launch in summer 2007, Age of Conan:Hyborian Adventures is three years in the making, and currently in the Friends and Family stage of closed beta.

I spoke with Erling Ellingsen, Product Manager and Jorgen Tharaldsen, Product Director of Funcom, Norway of whom I asked to describe the world of Conan for those not familiar with the IP. Jorgen's description was quite succinct. "We are brutal barbarians struggling for survival in Hyboria."

Read the whole article here.

I was under the impression this game would be released in Q2 of 2007, which starts a bit earlier than summer.  Did you come up with "Due to launch in summer 2007" based on something one of the developers said?
  • CarolynKohCarolynKoh Staff WriterMember Posts: 202

Originally posted by Sinuous

I was under the impression this game would be released in Q2 of 2007, which starts a bit earlier than summer.  Did you come up with "Due to launch in summer 2007" based on something one of the developers said?

Yes.  :)  Remember though, that June is summer and still Q2.  I'm not saying that it's a June launch though.  They will launch when they launch.  Heck... they haven't even started taking beta sign ups.

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• necrotherionnecrotherion Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by Sabbicat

I'm intrigued, Sabbicat :). Personally, player housing make me giddy/gleeful :D. I think that's a really cool idea, a kind of guild for the guildless...then again, I think any player city (and by that I mean with buildings OTHER than just player-built houses) is a really cool idea.

Awesome article. I really hope Funcom doesn't rush it, and takes the time to come out with a quality game at launch.

The only thing I have to worry about now are the truly stupid people who will be getting their prepubescent  children this M-rated game and complaining about how violent it is while still being subscribed and not doing anything about it.
  • raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326

Originally posted by Sinuous

I really wish they were including player housing with release, but as long as it's part of an expansion, it's better that they finish the other aspects of the game first to hit their launch window.

As far as I know, they haven't said anything about individual player housing being added in any future expansion.  The game will have guild housing at release.  It won't be just a place to store gear but rather a keep you have to defend periodically from NPC attackers.  In addition to this, a guild can go after a 2nd type of property in the PvP zones—battlekeeps.  These will be much harder to hold, however, as they will be attacked by enemy guilds and not just NPC armies.  You can read more details about it here.
  • YukkioneYukkione Member Posts: 618
    Originally posted by Arawon

Magic isnt being downplayed at all, there are just consequences. Maybe a good thing to have your soul corrupted. Also the spell weaving will add a lvl of skill not seen in other mmorpgs.
  • RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

magic users are very well set up in this game such as a few nercos joining togetehr to creat a larger and much more powerfull pet

spellweaving is a great advantage except for the fact that it might backfire and hurt the caster

every class in the game is ballanced and very well

player cities and housing brought me to DAoC first of all  and almost made me get into this game =]  i just cant wait!

• suprememagisuprememagi Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Yukkione

Originally posted by Arawon

Magic isnt being downplayed at all, there are just consequences. Maybe a good thing to have your soul corrupted. Also the spell weaving will add a lvl of skill not seen in other mmorpgs.

I guarantee corruption is a cool thing, especially for this style of game. Magic for the most part has it's roots in evil in the conan books, and I have played the pen and paper Conan D20 Roleplaying game, and in that too there is corruption points. I hear though they are working with the people who wrote the d20 pen and paper game to make the  MMORPG, i don't know if that's true but from the sound of corruption points, and the list of " feats " that give your character special abilities, it sure sounds like it.
  • QmireQmire Member Posts: 423
    One step closer to Beta, uhmmm.....  i'm starting to get this feeling in the stomache, hopefully i didn't eat something bad.
  • SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927

Total

Ownage

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• RyldRyld Member Posts: 99
    Wrap me in grey, the apparel of ghosts. Land of Darkness and Night....Semper Paratus.

R
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Sounds amazing
  • JackDonkeyJackDonkey Member Posts: 383
    ranked pvp and pve servers with pvp areas to make assholes talk about how they're more awesome than you because you don't pvp.  If the pvp's fun I'll play on the FFA server, if it's not I'll try out the pve but I'd rather not have to come in contact with people that say they are hardcore pvp'rs on the pve server (like in WoW).

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    if I were to kill a titan tomorrow and no CCP employees showed up to say grats I would petition it.
    Waiting for: the next MMO that lets me make this macro
    if hp < 30 then CastSpell("heal") SpellTargetUnit("player") else CastSpell("smite") end

• anoma7yanoma7y Member Posts: 27

Could it be true? Will it be as amazing as we hope?

We've gone through so many disappointments lately with hyped MMO's. Conan and Spellborn are my last hopes for mmokind.

• DemonOvrlordDemonOvrlord Member Posts: 69

Looks like this will be one of the games that could make 2007 a banner year for MMORPGs.

Of course, one has to wonder what kind of machine you need to push all these cool graphics and awesome game mechanics.  I have a feeling it's not going to jabe to be pretty powerful.

• blacksacblacksac Member Posts: 1,045

"The Microsoft Xbox360 controller is compatible with the PC and Erling used it to great effect showing off the combat system."

To hell with that, what about compatibity with the sweet little moton controlled Wii-mote

People have sync'ed it to PC's for other games... would be sweet to actually swing a "sword" (wii-mote) and block with a "shield" (nunchuck) or even draw a bow, headbutt, commit any kind of combat really

Would have to be set up infront of a HD TV via wi-fi to your PC though... need the room to really swing that bi'tch

• mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653
    "The same goes for the body. You can create an anorexic woman with huge (and I mean huge!) ta-tas!!!!"

Wooo!  I like the sound of this!  In reality this game sounds really cool and I hope the developers pull through!