Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: MMOWTF: Happy Newb Year

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Dan Fortier returns today with his MMOWTF column. This week, Dan is making some predictions about the upcoming 2007 MMORPG releases.

It seems that getting a Monday column has worked out perfectly so far. I got Christmas Day and now New Years Day all to myself. I am taking this opportunity to throw out any sort of creative writing I might have planned in order to bring you a very special MMOWTF preview of the year to come. Just ignore the boring parades and turn off whatever Bowl game you're watching and read on because your monthly subscription money might depend on it.

Many of you are glad to see that those festering pile of crap titles that got foisted on us last year, are now clearly in the rear view mirror. This New Year brings no less than five big MMOs with release dates in the first half of the year so let's start by taking a closer look at them:

You can read the whole column here

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Thank-you

Thoroughly enjoyed it

• GaylenGaylen Member Posts: 113
    Don't know why I bothered reading it.  Could of asked the nearest drunken frat boy which games he's looking forward to.  After he was done crushing a beer can on his forehead and quoting Dane Cook, he'd have have summed up the attitude of this column with a poignant question:

"Which games let me kill other *burp* dudes?"

Previous played: SWG (pre-NGE), DAoC, CoH, Anarchy Online, DDO, Champions Online Beta, LOTRO, GW2, SWTOR

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324
    My question is, are we ever (far less this year) going to see a financially successful MMO *roleplaying* game, or is that completely an impossible concept?
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Yes, this past year was scary. I've downloaded more open betas I couldn't get in to play and free games I couldn't figure out how to move around in than I ever want to again.

Here's to the new year!

• LyfeLyfe Member Posts: 45

These MMOWTF articles are the highlight of my mmorpg.com experience. How can you truly compare witty satire with drunken frat boys!?

I really enjoyed the crystal ball section!

Oh, just a note about pirates of the burning sea; I played it at Gencon and it looked very polished. They must just be adding additional content now.

• avienthasavienthas Member UncommonPosts: 94
    You´re a bad man, Dan.

But: I miss a mention of the upcoming new UO expansion, made by the inspired Mythic/EA team, guaranteed to keep this zombie walking.

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

Enjoyed it. Always makes me smile :) Gotta agree with most if not all of what he said.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613
    I bet'cha he gets 70% correct.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• Shanks123Shanks123 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Bioware finally gives the details of their much debated MMORPG project. Unfortunately, since the press release is only available to current subscribers of Star Wars Galaxies, we may never know what it says.

lol so true

I'm Here. I'm Awesome. Get Used To It.

• DestroyeronDestroyeron Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by Gaylen

Don't know why I bothered reading it.  Could of asked the nearest drunken frat boy which games he's looking forward to.  After he was done crushing a beer can on his forehead and quoting Dane Cook, he'd have have summed up the attitude of this column with a poignant question:

"Which games let me kill other *burp* dudes?"
    ^Angry Drunken Fanboy^
  • DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Well I'd hardly call Guild Wars Nightfall and Echoes of Faydwer "festering piles of crap" Mr Fortier.

Oh wait, if you can't gank and grief someone anywhere anytime in 24/7 PvP, he thinks the game sucks.  My bad. 

I do agree that Vanguard probably isn't going to live up to the hype.

• necrotherionnecrotherion Member Posts: 130
    hehe, cracked crystal ball was my favourite, lol'ed when I read the word panhandling.

I agree here on how Vanguard is being grossly overhyped. If you look at their forums, 90% of it is still  suggestions for whimsical things to be implemented such as wind affecting arrow trajectory and that kind of bs. Come on, the game's not going to be everything you hoped and dreamed it will be. Get used to it.

I eagerly await AoC :)
  • mcpatriotmcpatriot Member Posts: 14
    I would agree with your assessment on Age of Conan, they have a solid direction for the game, and it looks great on paper. I really hope it turns out to be fun, as well.
  • SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884
    Originally posted by mcpatriot

I would agree with your assessment on Age of Conan, they have a solid direction for the game, and it looks great on paper. I really hope it turns out to be fun, as well.
    If nothing else, decapitations will be fun longer than some free trials or betas from '006    

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    I was a great read. I enjoyed it.
  • BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483
    Originally posted by DrowNoble

Well I'd hardly call Guild Wars Nightfall and Echoes of Faydwer "festering piles of crap" Mr Fortier.
    Oh wait, if you can't gank and grief someone anywhere anytime in 24/7 PvP, he thinks the game sucks.  My bad. 
    I do agree that Vanguard probably isn't going to live up to the hype.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no specific mention of Guild Wars in this article. I think the festering boots of crap +10  are meant to fit on the feet of games like RF Online.

One thing that disturbs me is his mention that the Age of Conan devs are trying to appeal to gamers of all ages. I was personally looking forward to a mature only game where I get to see naked vixens and hardcore combat. To hell with the 14-year-olds.

I'm also hoping his predictions on WAR don't prove to be correct - as a Warhammer fan this game looks awesome but will only lose ground against other MMOGs if it takes another year to get to market.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Agreed on the festering piles of crap... the few MMOs released in 2006 were pretty bad.  Dark and Light, Roma Victor, Seed...  not exactly a stellar showing for the genera that is sweeping the world by storm with 7 million WoW players.  For the guy that said guild wars wasn't a pile... you may be right, but it isn't an MMO either.  It is similar enough to an MMO that it gets listed on this site, but most of us can tell the difference.

I think Vanguard and Lord of the Rings Online will surprise a lot of people this year, for opposite reasons.  I don't think either will be what people expect.  I think AOC has the most potential to be both fun and innovative, but I have been burned by the hype machine before.   I have a little trouble getting excite about WAR with EA at the helm, and the use of the same engine from a game that looked old a couple of years ago doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Well I took his comments about "festering piles of crap" to mean all MMOGs released in 2006.  Both GW:Nightfall and Echoes of Faydwer were release in '06.  According to NCSoft press releases, GW as a whole is doing good  and Nightfall especially sold very well. 

Perhaps he should of been more specific and saying the "piles" were new games released in 2006.

• Darkz0rDarkz0r Member Posts: 78

Very funneh.

Heh, the crystal balls shows the truth !

• CaleSentariCaleSentari Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by Shanks123

Bioware finally gives the details of their much debated MMORPG project. Unfortunately, since the press release is only available to current subscribers of Star Wars Galaxies, we may never know what it says.

lol so true

Heh that was my favorite quote as well.