Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Uru fans out there who also play other MMOGs?

This is more just a point of curiosity with me.

I love Uru, and I loved playing in the Prologue before it was cancelled in February 2004, and I loved playing all the city content expansions for the single-player game, and blah blah blah Myst fangirl.

But it seems to me I'm encountering something in the Uru fanbase, where most of the players are very, very insular and no-one's willing to hear out suggestions about adapting some better MMO design principles to their precious Myst.  I was excited when in the Beta this time around they added an ignore feature.  But the KI is really a wretched chat interface, I think.  I don't know.  Maybe I've been spoiled by the flexibility of EQ2's player interface, because I hated WoW's, too.  But I'm just curious if there are other people out there who both love their Myst and also have a grip on how more "standard" MMOG's work.  ;)

Comments

• christwariorchristwarior Member Posts: 126
    probly because myst online offers a unique experience and requires thinking skills to actually enjoy it. while other MMOs are just like every other 1 pretty much. create character, get thru noob area/tutorial, go thru quests, grind, get to a super-high level, go kill noobs lol. dont get me wrong i play uru live and guild wars and i enjoy both alot! but all the ur live players probly heard of WoW with all the hype going around and if they really wanted to play that then i think they would but this is just a theory.
  • Rreka'alRreka'al Member Posts: 450
    I'm a veteran from a good sum of MMO's, and I play Uru when I'm not hanging out in one of my other games. And it could use a look at some other mmo's for some improvement. Still really fun to fiugre out all the puzzles, though.

• Taltos_ZadoqTaltos_Zadoq Member Posts: 11

I have played my fair share of other MMO's as well, and when I first got my Ki in URU, I was a little confused.  It doesn't seem to have all the features that I need and want.

But, I have also read NUMEROUS threads on the Suggestion forums and Beta forums from players asking that the Ki be looked at and re-done with some updated features and much needed enhancements, so I wouldn't say that Uru players are completely out of touch.

Hopefully, if enough people make a request for something, Cyan will see that it is something that really needs to be looked at.

• GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by EtoilePB

This is more just a point of curiosity with me.

I love Uru, and I loved playing in the Prologue before it was cancelled in February 2004, and I loved playing all the city content expansions for the single-player game, and blah blah blah Myst fangirl.

But it seems to me I'm encountering something in the Uru fanbase, where most of the players are very, very insular and no-one's willing to hear out suggestions about adapting some better MMO design principles to their precious Myst.  I was excited when in the Beta this time around they added an ignore feature.  But the KI is really a wretched chat interface, I think.  I don't know.  Maybe I've been spoiled by the flexibility of EQ2's player interface, because I hated WoW's, too.  But I'm just curious if there are other people out there who both love their Myst and also have a grip on how more "standard" MMOG's work.  ;)
    As a Myst fan, i played whole Prologue till the end (that was at 5am in my localtime). As shown in my sig i am a MMO fan and spend many hours of gameplay. I agree with you that Myst should adopt some standard MMO feature. It can be done without ruining the whole feeling of the game. But the most important aspect that Cyan *must* resolve is the heavy lag in Ae'gura, that is not normal compared to any other MMO around. I think KI is not designed as because of thinking, otherwise for sure there would be a /tell command and a way to have a general chat (as the age players chat) also when in single instances (buddy chat and hood chat is not enough), but is simply poorly designed (and bugged, atm). Not a big deal, also Cyan can do mistakes . I hope they listen carefully to all the players suggestions (and many come from experienced MMO players). It is true that most of the player base is different from other MMO, but some of us are in the Cavern and I'm sure all (as me) have sent many suggestions to Cyan.

....oh, yes, in my sig list there is not WoW..... and never will be

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org