Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst MMO of all time?

Comments

• ginettiginetti Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 301

Dungeons and Dragons Online.

They had such an iconic name behind them, and they totaly ruined it.

Firstly, they made it entirely instanced... just like guild wars, except here you have to pay a monthly fee.

Then they said NO PVP, because you dont pvp in the real pen and paper version.

Well, yes and no.  While pvp was not a common occurance in parties, it DID happen once in a blue moon.  But the point is, the pen and paper version had only a handful of people playing, so of course you cant go around hunting your team mates.

DDO just didnt get it, and i do hope they've learnt from their mistakes before LOTR comes out.

This was my biggest dissapointment, games wise, i never played Dark and Light.

----
    MMORPG's I've Played: World of Warcraft: 10/10 - Rappelz: 7/10 - Ragnarok Online: 8/10 - DnD Online: 2/10 - Runescape: 6/10 - LotR Online: 5/10 - Anarchy Online: 7/10 - CoV: 8/10 - Rohan Online: 8/10 - Guild Wars: 7/10 - Flyff: 8/10 - Warhammer Online: 8/10

My HARDCORE Story

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Matrix gets me vote. What a croc.

Poor gameplay, poor coding. Poor service. Low content. Poor quality. Poor functionality. Poor support. Poor value. Missing population. Missing inspiration.

Premium priced.

• ShijukiShijuki Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Hmm.. that's a tough one, considering there are a couple of titles, in my opinion that are utterly crap. I guess RF Online wins in this category.
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Imo, those who say anything diffrent then Dark & light or Mourning have absolutely no idea what their talking about.
  • MW2KMW2K Member UncommonPosts: 1,036

Originally posted by Gameloading
    Imo, those who say anything diffrent then Dark & light or Mourning have absolutely no idea what their talking about.

I haven't played either so I can't judge and neither can anyone else who hasn't played them. Given the calibre of the kids that populate this forum, it won't stop them from trolling or pontificating one way or the other.

IMHO? The worst MMO I've played was The Sims Online, followed closely by Mimesis Online.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Far as im concerned VaporWare doesnt count so scratch off Mourning which was never really released.

Here is my Top 5

1. DnL

2. Roma Victor

3. Savage Eden

4. Face of Mankind

5. Asheron's call 2 (due to the technical issues)

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043
    Aye,

You gotta consider Gameloading, only a few people ever suffered through Mourning.

With Dark and Light, I always avoided it myself. Just looking at the forums, I pretty much figured it would be horrible.

I assume anyone who didn't play either of those is just basing their opinion off game's they actually played. It wouldn't make much sense now for me to vote DnL simply because of hear-say

But on a side note, I remember reading a review which described my thoughts on Asheron's Call 2 and it's difficulty level. It was by far the most difficult game I ever played. Unfortunately, I don't remember the magazine, but the quote was:

"I'd rather receive pieces of my god-damned family in the mail than ever sit down and play Asheron's Call 2 again".

Hahaha.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• ZeroDepthZeroDepth Member Posts: 142
    Runescape, not only was it a grindfest but it had poor graphics. Quests don't go with the storyline, and only are added to keep the players busy.

Members was cheap (only $5 a month), but the new content isn't very great.

• TaguritTagurit Member Posts: 309

....NVM.  Should have read all posts before posting.  Already said above.

I can add this though.  For those of you that did not vote Dark & Sh1te, I can only envy you because that MUST mean you had nothing to do with it.  
  • ManmadegodManmadegod Member Posts: 501
    Star Wars Galaxies in it's current state is probably the worst MMORPG to date.
  • OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Who's and Why's from Orca

Dark & Light - This game has to be the most hyped game of 2005-2006. The game had a really good gameplay, and a really good community, until the game released. The game had alot of features and a gameplay that spoke to roleplayers(Hense it be a MMORPG). The _only_ downside it has was a bad launch, compiled with too many features for pioneers who had rather high level characters before the game launched, and that the quest weren't swarming, to keep the new players going. And all in all quests weren't many. I wouldn't say i were addicted to the game, but i did play the game for a week or two and it did keep me going even though with the lack of features. I was really looking forward to this game, and that is why it is my number 1 ranked game, of MMO bloopers.

SWG - Terrible release, with loads of bugs etc. But on the way the game became better and better. Until they started ruin the ultimate class of it all, and the sole reason to play Star Wars. The Jedi. A Jedi is the ultimate character and players to have a goal to become this great, really have to get some credit for it, and not getting screwed over by some mainstream bullcrap. This was what ruined the game, not the NGE or anything, but the ability to actaully become so much greater than anyone else. The game having other futures before the WoWizing such as player made trade community and wealth was another issue.

Many other games belong on this list, but these are some of the games that has had the largest effect on my relationship to MMO's. I hope 2007 will bring along some greater MMO's than last year

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

• RabidaskalRabidaskal Member Posts: 238

DnL and Mourning, as many people have said you can hardly call them games, more like online fraud.  Its like if you take that email about some dude in Africa who wants to give you $100M, if you got that and turned it into an MMO, thats DnL + Mourning right there.

SWG get honorary mention for being (IMO) the biggest money-losing MMO ever.  How much money did SOE pay for the IP.  Then how many dev teams did they pay to revamp and totally ruin their game LAWL

I don''t really know when Humankind will die out but i''m guessing about 6 years before WOW.
    -BarCrow

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Judging from games I've only played, NGE SWG
  • NecromageNecromage Member UncommonPosts: 69

GRAAL ONLINE man i hate that game

and not just the game also the ppl that make it

cyber whatever

1. its a rip off of the zelda a link to the Past

2.theres nothing to do but pk

3.for a game with lest then 500 ppl they want u to pay $20/mo

ill take my $12 and go hit FFXI before i think about paying these wack jobs

What Ever You Do

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

#1 worst by far was DnL

I don't count Mourning because I never played it

biggest dissapointment was SWG, that game could have been great. DDO was just a bad idea. No way the magic of the P&P was going to tranlate into a MMO, that was all in having a good DM.

I miss DAoC

• Stellaman88Stellaman88 Member Posts: 1
    runescape and swg
  • MarchusMarchus Member Posts: 88

For games that i've played, 1: MxO for releasing something that should've still been closed beta. 2: RYL for just being terrible. 3: L2, for being the worst grindfest in the history of grinds, with the worst PVP system i've ever seen. 4: FFXI for the gilseller/community problems and the ridiculous way their required Class/Level Limit/City quests were set up so that a group people at the actual level limit couldn't complete them. Account deletion is completely uncool too. 5: AO. Mostly because I need a #5 and for some reason I could never stay logged into this game for more than 10 minutes.

• Lord_ZLord_Z Member UncommonPosts: 157

Tbh, you cant say those two are bad if you havent played on them, not everyones played them ya'know.

I'm shocked that not many people have said runescape tbh, its classed as a mmorpg but its absolutly crap.....

Dude I liked FFXI For the very same reason u didnt

FFXI made you work with other players

it made teamwork a big thing and thats what a mmo

should be about.

ive tryed alot of mmo's and alot of them dont have the would teamwork factor in there

like SWG, i gave it a chance cause im a SW fan i played it for bout two week and in tho 2 week

i only had one guy that wanted to party and help each other out <<(Teamwork Factor)

almost the whole time i played it, it felt like a single player game

if i wanted to play it by my self id make me a server and play it alone so i wouldnt have to deal with the lag and that would be that

What Ever You Do

dude now that i think bout it all the SOE games sux for the reason

all but EQ2

What Ever You Do

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Although Mourning has attracted a lot of negative attention around the Internet, (notably after the beta "debut" and other fiascos), there remains a loyal fanbase who believe that Mourning will eventually become successful and believe that the game will break through the stereotypical MMORPG structure with the unique gameplay that was mentioned in previews and interviews dating almost 3-4 years ago, when Mourning was announced.

Thats the fanboy song of dying mmorpg.

Intrestingly enough i seen this exact statement from fanboys of the following 3 dying(or in case of mourning dead) mmorpg.Since they charge people for their product i think they are worse then F2p mmorpg.

DnL

Roma Victor

Mourning

• MarchusMarchus Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Necromage

Dude I liked FFXI For the very same reason u didnt
    FFXI made you work with other players
    it made teamwork a big thing and thats what a mmo
    should be about.
    ive tryed alot of mmo's and alot of them dont have the would teamwork factor in there
    like SWG, i gave it a chance cause im a SW fan i played it for bout two week and in tho 2 week
    i only had one guy that wanted to party and help each other out <<(Teamwork Factor)
    almost the whole time i played it, it felt like a single player game
    if i wanted to play it by my self id make me a server and play it alone so i wouldnt have to deal with the lag and that would be that

You misunderstand, the idea of teamwork was fine. The fact that for the first year and still some even now Japanese players refused to group with English speaking players and even went out of their way to KS and try to drive out non-Japanese parties is what I hated about the community, and is the main reason people were just sitting around for 2-3 hours looking for groups.

This also relates to the problem I had with the Missions, class quests, and level limit quests. For whatever reason they decided to set it up so that a group of level 30's could not complete a mission with a level 30 limit without begging a level 50 to come help, and at launch, and for months until people leveled up as starter classes, the only people you could ask for help hated your guts for no reason.

• SergejHSergejH Member Posts: 1
    As i reading this posts I figured out, that i am VERY happy man.

1. I didnt play DnL

2. I didnt play Mourning

But worst mmorpg i played, was Final Fantasy XI. Maybe because i had high expectations (Im FF veteran. Because of  FF1i bought NES and because of FFXIII i will buy PS3). Or maybe i should play it for longer then about 10 hours, but i cant...

P.S. Sry for my english, im not englishman
  • dhartzdhartz Member Posts: 482
    Originally posted by Marchus

3: L2, for being the worst grindfest in the history of grinds, with the worst PVP system i've ever seen.

sick em Gameloading

on topic: Hmm never played that Mourning thing & DnL, but from my expiriance i'd say Runescape gotta be the worst .

• ImTheDoctorImTheDoctor Member Posts: 27

I have to agree Runescape is the worst excuse for an MMO ever! So many noobs; so many little kids being well little kids. I played for a very short time and nearly killed the computer because of how much I dislike Runescape.

Just looked up the Mourning and it looks like the most stupid online game a moron could come up with, I found it disturbing, if nothing else.

Future Alliance Leader in the Upcoming MMO StarGate Worlds