Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 MMOWTF Awards

MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758
Dan Fortier returns this week with his MMOWTF column. This time around, he's looking for nominations for his own, 2006 MMOWTF Awards, highlighting the less-than-savory of 2006.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

Comments

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

So..we have to vote again?

Great..finally when SWG was about to win some awards image

imageThe last of the Trackers

• TaguritTagurit Member Posts: 309
    Hmm..   Something smells a little fishy

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118
    Well there were over 160 replies to this that were on there just this afternoon.   WTH is up with this guys? 

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• TaguritTagurit Member Posts: 309
    Allright, I will go another round:

Worst Graphics:  Dark and Light

Least Fun:  SWG

Most Desolate
    :  Dark and Light

Worst Use of a Popular IP or License:  SWG

Most Shameless Developer
    :  SOE (with a very close second in Farlan)

Most Likely to be Cancelled in 2007:  Dark and Light

Biggest Stinker:  SWG

• DjakeDjake Member Posts: 2

Least Fun:  SWG-NGE

Most Desolate :  SWG-NGE

Worst Use of a Popular IP or License:  SWG-NGE

Most Shameless Developer :  SOE

Most Likely to be Cancelled in 2007:  SWG-NGE

Biggest Stinker:  SWG-NGE

• MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758

Originally posted by chlaos
    Well there were over 160 replies to this that were on there just this afternoon.   WTH is up with this guys? 

As you may have noticed the entire site has been rolled back almost a week.  Our database server crashed this morning along with our backup process.  The latest backups we had were from the 8th-11th.  Luckily we were able to get the features back but all of the forum data, user registrations, hype and rating counts etc were lost from the 8th onward.  Sorry for the inconvenience everyone!

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

Originally posted by Meddle
    Originally posted by chlaos
    As you may have noticed the entire site has been rolled back almost a week.  Our database server crashed this morning along with our backup process.  The latest backups we had were from the 8th-11th.  Luckily we were able to get the features back but all of the forum data, user registrations, hype and rating counts etc were lost from the 8th onward.  Sorry for the inconvenience everyone!

Ahh I see, well it happens i guess. 

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

Worst Graphics:  SWG (Yes, I voted different earlier, but then I watched a video of 2 medics fighting in SWG. Then I watched a SWG Beta movie...The gfx has degenerated into something from a kindergarten)

Least Fun:  SWG (Gameplay stinks. They moved from a world to a gamey game..without the content such a game type needs. Now it's all about grind to lvl 90..then quit or PvP..nothing else..booooring)

Most Desolate :  SWG (From a game that had hundreds of people in almost every town, where 20 person groups were plentifull, and even the most remote locations had several groups hunting...To a game where you can barely find someone to group with, nevertheless find anyone outside of the lil nerhole Restuss)

Worst Use of a Popular IP or License:  SWG (Oh boy, where to start. A game that allowed Star Wars fans to live in the Star Wars world..Sounds good right? Bugged to heck, and instead of fixing it, they get rid of all people devs who believed in living your own Star Wars life, and started hiring people who thought Star Wars was the dream game of the "Whats Star Wars? Is that like WoW?" generation...So instead of aiming the game at the millions of Star Wars fans(Tey didn't even advertise the game at the Star Wars fanbase locations) they wanted to target the same kiddies everyone else targets. And they also managed to make it a "bizzarro world Star Wars" version instead of "Star Wars". There's nothing Star Wars about SWG except a few textures.)

Most Shameless Developer :  SOE (There are others, but SOE stands out as the only ones who said "fuck off" to their current playerbase(wich before WoW was one of the largest in the western world) in favor of a non existant playerbase)

Most Likely to be Cancelled in 2007: SWG (With 10 million a year in licensing fee, and a unknown % of subscription income going to LEC, there's no way SWG are making money with 10-50k subscribers spread out on 25 servers, using a very expensive Oracle database. Only reason it's alive now is because they are on life support, trying their best to find the one patch that will have all people come back....Like that will happend with the NGE)

Biggest Stinker:  SWG-NGE (The game stinks! Everything that's good about the game is remnants from the first version of the game. Abut everything they have added to the game since their "New Game Enhancement" has been stinking piles of bugged versions of mechanics they removed and flawed game mechanics based on Helios's belief that PvP r0xx0rS, desperately trying to make the subscriber belive that the game is getting better. It stinks, it's like playing Fallout Tactics...Everything from Fallout that was dang good is gone.)

Okay, so I said more this time than last time I voted, but come on this is the "MMOWTF" awards.

imageThe last of the Trackers

Ok, lets try this again:

Worst Graphics:  This one is easy, Roma Victor has by far the worst graphics I have seen.

Least Fun:  SWG: NGE

Most Desolate :  SWG:NGE   With so many servers and so few players it is really tough to find anyone actually playing this mess.  

Worst Use of a Popular IP or License: this one is a no brainer too, there is no bigger IP than Star Wars and there is no worse game than the NGE....so my vote goes to  SWG:NGE

Most Shameless Developer:  another gimme SOE, though there are others who have tried to take their title they still win merely for the enormity of their follies.

Most Likely to be Cancelled in 2007:  this one is a crapshoot with so many deserving candidates, but based on a combination of reviews, lack of players, lack of funding...Im going to guess Dark and Light.

Biggest Stinker:  This one should be tougher since it has been a really bad year for MMO's.   However, once again  SWG:NGE runs away the title, although DnL sucks the big one too, as do most of the games released this year.  

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by wolfmann

Worst Graphics:  SWG (Yes, I voted different earlier, but then I watched a video of 2 medics fighting in SWG. Then I watched a SWG Beta movie...The gfx has degenerated into something from a kindergarten)

Least Fun:  SWG (Gameplay stinks. They moved from a world to a gamey game..without the content such a game type needs. Now it's all about grind to lvl 90..then quit or PvP..nothing else..booooring)

Most Desolate :  SWG (From a game that had hundreds of people in almost every town, where 20 person groups were plentifull, and even the most remote locations had several groups hunting...To a game where you can barely find someone to group with, nevertheless find anyone outside of the lil nerhole Restuss)

Worst Use of a Popular IP or License:  SWG (Oh boy, where to start. A game that allowed Star Wars fans to live in the Star Wars world..Sounds good right? Bugged to heck, and instead of fixing it, they get rid of all people devs who believed in living your own Star Wars life, and started hiring people who thought Star Wars was the dream game of the "Whats Star Wars? Is that like WoW?" generation...So instead of aiming the game at the millions of Star Wars fans(Tey didn't even advertise the game at the Star Wars fanbase locations) they wanted to target the same kiddies everyone else targets. And they also managed to make it a "bizzarro world Star Wars" version instead of "Star Wars". There's nothing Star Wars about SWG except a few textures.)

Most Shameless Developer :  SOE (There are others, but SOE stands out as the only ones who said "fuck off" to their current playerbase(wich before WoW was one of the largest in the western world) in favor of a non existant playerbase)

Most Likely to be Cancelled in 2007: SWG (With 10 million a year in licensing fee, and a unknown % of subscription income going to LEC, there's no way SWG are making money with 10-50k subscribers spread out on 25 servers, using a very expensive Oracle database. Only reason it's alive now is because they are on life support, trying their best to find the one patch that will have all people come back....Like that will happend with the NGE)

Biggest Stinker:  SWG-NGE (The game stinks! Everything that's good about the game is remnants from the first version of the game. Abut everything they have added to the game since their "New Game Enhancement" has been stinking piles of bugged versions of mechanics they removed and flawed game mechanics based on Helios's belief that PvP r0xx0rS, desperately trying to make the subscriber belive that the game is getting better. It stinks, it's like playing Fallout Tactics...Everything from Fallout that was dang good is gone.)

Okay, so I said more this time than last time I voted, but come on this is the "MMOWTF" awards.

This sums up almost identical to my view at the 2006 MMOWTF Awards , when you are used to having 3 excelent meals a day it would be very hard to suddenly switch to only water and bread , same with pre-cu SWG i have tasted what a reall MMORPG can feel like but never tasted that feel again.....:(
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by Reklaw

This sums up almost identical to my view at the 2006 MMOWTF Awards , when you are used to having 3 excelent meals a day it would be very hard to suddenly switch to only water and bread , same with pre-cu SWG i have tasted what a reall MMORPG can feel like but never tasted that feel again.....:( not even WOW came's close to that feel but it was the only alternitive at the time to somewhat eas'd the pain i felt of losing what once was the best MMORPG out here.

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Most Desolate
    :  SWG

Most Shameless Developer
    :  SOE

Most Likely to be Cancelled in 2007:  Ryzom (I hate to say that though)

My Reasoning: 

1-  Dark and Light's graphics were just bad.

2-  SWG is just a snore fest, no death penelty, no REAL options with your characters, no real crafting, no social game, no nothing...

3- SWG seemed more desolated then DnL when I compare my two experiences between them.

4- Worst use of an IP, easily SWG.  They were able to take the Star Wars IP and create an abomination that even a Star Wars nerd such as myself could not love.  Oh and the game made me cheer in Episode III when the Jedi were being slaughtered.

5- Most Shameless Developer, SOE over Farlan in my experience.  SOE actually stole 80 bucks form me this year, Farlan only tried to steal 10 and failed.

6- Unfortunately, Ryzom is likely to be cancelled or be as good as canceled.

7- SWG is an abomination, a sin against the gammer gods, and a curse upon all those who developed the NGE.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• Daed710Daed710 Member Posts: 134
    Worst Graphics:   SWG (NGE)

Least Fun:   SWG (NGE)

Most Desolate:   SWG (NGE)

Worst Use of a Popular IP or Licence:   SWG (NGE) 

Most Shameless Developer:   SOE

Most Likely to be Canceled in 2007:   SWG (NGE)

Biggest Stinker:   SWG (NGE) 

"Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now.
    We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?"

• OsenOsen Member Posts: 27
    Worst Graphics:  Roma victor

Most Desolate :  SWG

Most Likely to be Cancelled in 2007:  SWG

• rambojohnrambojohn Member Posts: 13

Worst Graphics: SWG-NGE particle effects

Least Fun: SWG-NGE

Most Desolate : SWG-NGE

Worst Use of a Popular IP or License: SWG-NGE

Most Shameless Developer : helios_soe thunderheart 

Most Likely to be Cancelled in 2007: SWG-NGE

Biggest Stinker: SWG-NGE

• DanmannDanmann Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 95

Don't worry all. Votes were counted and recorded before the crash so no need to vote if you already did so.

If you have not voted then I'll be keep track until tonight at midnight PST (3 am EST) Results will be released with my article on Monday.

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the reviews of MMORPG.com or its management.

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Originally posted by Danmann
    Don't worry all. Votes were counted and recorded before the crash so no need to vote if you already did so. If you have not voted then I'll be keep track until tonight at midnight PST (3 am EST) Results will be released with my article on Monday.

Well I am from Chicago and I have this fetish for stuffing ballot boxesimage

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Ok, once again.... I'll elaborate later...

Worst Graphics:  Anarchy Online

Most Desolate :  SWG

Most Shameless Developer :  SOE / Honorable Mention LA 

Most Likely to be Cancelled in 2007:  SWG

Biggest Stinker: 
    SWG

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• XENplXENpl Member Posts: 16
    Omg there is a lot SWG fans !! aaaaaaa  lol

• PreCUPreCU Member Posts: 382
    Worst Graphics:  SWG (NGE)

Least Fun:  SWG (NGE)

Most Desolate :  SWG (NGE)

Worst Use of a Popular IP or License:  SWG (NGE)

Most Shameless Developer :  SOE and/or LA

Most Likely to be Cancelled in 2007:  SWG (NGE)

Biggest Stinker: 
    SWG (NGE)

• ThegreatkhanThegreatkhan Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Reklaw

This sums up almost identical to my view at the 2006 MMOWTF Awards , when you are used to having 3 excelent meals a day it would be very hard to suddenly switch to only water and bread , same with pre-cu SWG i have tasted what a reall MMORPG can feel like but never tasted that feel again.....:(

/agreeee

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604

Worst Graphics:  Dark and Light - minus the stolen www.vworld.com technology

Least Fun:   Dark and Light

Most Desolate :  Dark and Light

Worst Use of a Popular IP or License:   LOTR
    Most Shameless Developer :  Farlan/NP3 with a little help from AD
    Most Likely to be Cancelled in 2007:  Dark and Light -- but maybe not, they are too arrogant, incompetent, inept and off the wall  to cancel
    Biggest Stinker:  Dark and Light

• AnkorAnkor Member Posts: 258
    Worst Graphics: UO

Least Fun: SWG NGE

Most Desolate : SWG NGE

Worst Use of a Popular IP or License: SWG NGE

Most Shameless Developer : SOE

Most Likely to be Cancelled in 2007: SWG NGE

Biggest Stinker: SWG NGE

• mithrandir72mithrandir72 Member Posts: 1,286

Hmm, lets try this again...

Worst Graphics: Dark and Light. Enough Said.

Least Fun: SWG. Where did all the people go? Why do I feel like i'm playing Benny Hill: The MMO?

Most Desolate: Tie Between Dark and Light and SWG. I can count the number of people I encountered in both on one finger.

Worst Use of IP: SWG, easily. No, it is not "Star warsy" or "Iconic" now.

Most Shameless Developer: $OE. Gotta love releasing an expansion a day or two before a major game revamp.

Most likely to be cancelled: SWG. Not only is it old, it sucks. DnL is new and Sucks.

Biggest Stinker: SWG FTW! I bet the NGE is seeming like a good idea about now.

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment;
    We are choosing to be here right now -Tool, Parabola

• ProtestProtest Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Worst Graphics:  SWG (NGE)

Least Fun:  SWG (NGE)

Most Desolate :  SWG (NGE)

Worst Use of a Popular IP or License:  SWG (NGE)

Most Likely to be Cancelled in 2007:  SWG (NGE)

Biggest Stinker: 
    SWG (NGE)

“We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time.”
    -T.S. Eliot