Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jumpgate, a great space flight mmo, we are slowly running out of players and i have been asked to he

What is Jumpgate?

imageJumpgate is a Massively Multiplayer Online Flight Simulator - set in space.
It's not an MMORPG - it's an MMO spaceflight simulator.

"Massively Multiplayer" means Jumpgate was originally written to handle thousands of players trading and fighting in the same virtual universe.

What is Jumpgate like?

Jumpgate drew inspiration from older single-player, free-form spaceflight games from the 1980's and 1990's such as Elite, Elite II, and Wing Commander: Privateer.

Since Jumpgate is an online game, every other ship you encounter is another player.

Why haven't I heard of Jumpgate before?

Jumpgate's publisher, 3DO, closed down just when Jumpgate released in 2001, so Jumpgate didn't get much publicity. The developer, NetDevil, regained control of the game and has been quietly operating it ever since.

How is Jumpgate different?

imageOther space MMOGs on the market are "space adventure RPGs" with point-and-click gameplay based on leveling or building up your character's skills. Jumpgate is a flight simulator that requires actual pilot skill in docking, maneuvering, and combat. In other games, you click on something and watch your ship fight it. In Jumpgate you actually pilot your ship. Success or failure is up to you, not your stats.

Can I fly with the mouse?

Yes. Many players are quite adept at flying (even in combat) using the mouse and keyboard. However, the developers recommend a three-axis joystick with throttle control, suitable for flight simulators, for the most complete experience.

Third-party voice software, such as Teamspeak or Ventrilo, is also highly recommended. If you let go of the throttle or stick in a dogfight to type, you're probably toast.

What is the flight model based on?

imageInstead of an atmospheric or arcade flight model, such as those used in Wing Commander or the X-Wing games, Jumpgate uses a unique near-Newtonian physics model. It's almost completely realistic spaceflight, except for a drag component that counters momentum and limits speed. The drag was added solely for playability, as the developers found such a factor was crucial for learning to control the ship effectively.

please note, i am not a member of the developement team in any way shape or form, i have been commissioned by the players to help draw more players into the game. now i admit this game may not be as beautiful looking as eve, but by god its a heck of alot more fun, come try it out, you will not be dissapointed. and also, if you contact me no_limit in the game or if i see a new playuer log on, if you say you have come from these forums i will give you a 3 million credit loan and all the flight lessons you need to get familiar with this game.  please visit www.jossh.com for more info, and heck, there is even an offline mode to this game that will let you try the physics and weapons. come give us a shot!

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

You forgot to mention that it is pay-to-play and requires a credit card.

• KaptainZergKaptainZerg Member Posts: 322

No_limit1, the Jumpgate FAQ you posted had this line: The developer, NetDevil, regained control of the game and has been quietly operating it ever since.

This campaign of yours isn't going far unless NetDevil stops being quiet and offers free trials subs. If they are not on board with your efforts you've got to ask yourself why not. I won't presume to tell you the answer as I know nothing about NetDevil or Jumpgate except what I just read on the Jumpgate website. You might be heading into a direction that they have no intention of going, and then you'd just be wasting your time. I hope not.

I'll think about checking out Jumpgate but without a free trial option, and the fact that the few screen shots I saw looked, to be honest, bad, i doubt I'll plunk down my credit card. I do commend you for coming here and trying to to get new blood into the game you love. NetDevil should hire you as a consultant, then they might make some money.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    I played it.
    Its ok
    Mechanics are good.
    But it's two major problems are it's graphics (sorry they really are bad) and the tiny playerbase.  There are fewer people online at any given time, even at peak time, in Jumpgate than on most player run Freelancer servers.

Freelancer = free, better mechanics... better AI.... Better graphics... up to 256 players on a shard
    or
    Jumpgate = 9.95/month.... graphics that were dated the day it released (they're on par with 1995's games)... AI is a joke, rarely see more than 20-30 players online.

With so few players the game just feels empty... as a result even though the gameplay is decent most folks just don't stick with it long.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• MehuZMehuZ Member Posts: 3
    as far as a free trial goes i think they offer a 10 day free one but you need to have a credit card still, why i have no f*cking clue, but as far as net devil goes, oh man ive tried to get them to pull there heads out of there asses but they just wont listen for some reason, its like they want it to die and i really cant understand why. i guess the most i can say is just try it for 10 days if you have a credit card, then if you dont like it, just cancel before your 10 days are up. but i will talk with net devil and try to get them to offer the trial without a credit card.
  • SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Originally posted by KaptainZerg
    This campaign of yours isn't going far unless NetDevil stops being quiet and offers free trials subs

QFT.

Indy games are doomed to crash and burn if they have no free trials. Even the big games offer free trials every-so-often. I can't think of any big MMO that hasn't offered a free trial at some point or another.

Maybe when the owners quit being greedy and get the stick out of their asses, they will make money. Until then, good luck on a dead end MMO.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170
    Jumpgate sorta failed because the MMO crowd aren't ready for games that DEMAND you have skill to play.

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by Jackcolt
    Jumpgate sorta failed because the MMO crowd aren't ready for games that DEMAND you have skill to play.
    Planetside was ok in its day - You could mooch off others but really fast levelling only came with killing yourself.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by Taram

Freelancer = free, better mechanics... better AI.... Better graphics... up to 256 players on a shard

Im intrigued - do you have a server to recommend?

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• MagicStarMagicStar Member Posts: 380

Jumpgate has been mentioned many times on this forum.

A lot of MMO gamers have a short attention spam when it comes to this game because what it lacks such as, outdated graphics, and a tiny online numbers. With a credit card required to create an account at the state JG is at, the average internet user/gamer will be unlikley that he will create an account there and check out the trial.

But the main reason why Jumpgate doesn't offer a no CC required trial is because netdevil cannot afford to have a lot of people online that are not paying for this game.

I like this game a lot, and also tried advertising this game on various forums and was not much of a success.

Virtually there is nothing that any JG fans like me can do about this unless an maricle happened.

----------------------
    Give me lights give me action. With a touch of a button!

• MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Their general info forum hasn't had a user post since July 2004.   image

----------------------------------------------
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Motorhead
    Their general info forum hasn't had a user post since July 2004. image

Guess that says more than any advertisement ever could::::02::

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Originally posted by Zorvan
    You forgot to mention that it is pay-to-play and requires a credit card.
    PAy to Play mmorpg should die, that's all I could say.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586
    Even though I like Jumpgat and can appreciate what Netdevil is trying to accomplish, I think it might be time for the players to move on to a more recent game. Might I suggest a mass migration to Vendetta Online. It's practically the same game with slightly better graphics. And like Jumpgate, Vendetta is also suffering from a small population. Maybe if all the players of these two games would just choose one or the other to play, you could have a large enough population to attract an even larger player base.

But Vendetta online isn't a complete mmo which is the reason why it has a low population. There were discussions on getting more players in VO but devs say not yet.

----------------------

• MehuZMehuZ Member Posts: 3
    to really be honest, jumpgate should have died years ago, but since the entire playerbase is filled with players like me, we ave refused to let the game die, i still havent heard anything from net devil on this matter, and i probably never will but it does not stop me from trying. if i have to i will set up a bunch of trial accounts with my own money for a select few of you guys and you can come back and post your opinions on this forum. although the graphics are outdated, we have had many many major updates to the gameplay, such as factional conflicts, military, higher lvl flux, improved ai, etc.... just come check us out, i mean hell, you wont be billed untill your trial is up, you have nothing to lose.image
  • MiexonMiexon Vendetta Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 181
    Its not that Vendetta Online Developers do not want members it is that they want to get everything perfect before they advertise; meaning they want to implement everything first (unlike DnL which did opposite).  Everyone is welcome in the game, the battles are pretty intense and there is a trial that requires no credit card so all Jumpgate people check it out.

If the game had a few more people it might get a little more interesting a few more guilds. When the player owned stations and player owned capital ships (ships that can harbor multiple people and you can man turrets) and crafting the game will heat up.

Member of the Phoenix Alliance Guild
    in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

• Eraser55Eraser55 Member Posts: 142
    I played Vendetta online, it is not the same as Jumpgate. The physics were something between arcade and no gravity. It was very hard to get used to.. It felt like you were flying elephants..  IMHO

On another note.. Freelancer does not have better physics then Jumpgate. Freelancer is an single/multi player arcade game.  I loved freelancer because of the story.. but thats all, its is not a mmo, and cannot be compared to one.

Freelancer has the same physics as SWG JTLS I believe..  I played that one aswell, Found only NPC in space..

Anyway, Jumpgate is getting a MAJOR upgrade according to Netdevil president Scott  Brown. This includes Graphics and AI.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12184 

edit: HAppy new year everyone!

My cool sig: Turrets suck.

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    I really liked Vendetta-Online especially with its PvP. I may start playing again.

As for Jumpgate, I have never tried. Is there open PvP? Also, what is learning curve?

EVE Online I tried and didn't like too much.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

Jumpgate has open PvP but with lots of restrictions. Where you cannot pad your kill stats if you dont wear military tags blowing up other pilots wearing the tag as well. And blowing up people in regulated space is highly discouraged because if you do, a massive penalty will be placed on your head.

The flight engine is very hard for those who never experienced at first but it's a peice a cake once you get used to it. The tutorial for handeling the flight engine is located on the second link of my sig.

----------------------

• Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 226
    Is the game play similar to Freelancer?
    When it comes to flying a ship using twitch based controls(mouse or joystick), then yes.

Otherwise the rest of the game is different but you still have the ability to buy a new ship and fly around in it.

----------------------

• MiexonMiexon Vendetta Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 181
    there are many different ways you can  fly a ship in vendetta (4 keyboard and a few more joystick).  You can fly with Flight Assist On (which makes it fps type) or off (makes you drift without gravity like in space) with mouse look on (aimer for you) or mouselook off (cursor is attached to where the ship aims and goes).

So FA on ML on

FA on ML off

FA off ML on

FA off ML off.

Then some people have one joystick and some have two joysticks and they can be configured in different ways.

Also something really neat that happened is that you can access the test server and after applying and writing a few things can make your own missions and test them out. Some could even be implemented.

Greatness if you get back in the game you know where to find me :)

Member of the Phoenix Alliance Guild
    in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

The thing I didn't like about Vendetta's flight engine was you that you had to afterburn to get to normal speed and fly from one place to anther. Without using AB, your ship is just crawling to get there.

----------------------