Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Underwater MMO?

I'm suprised there hasn't been a MMO done with an underwater theme like perhaps built on the Atlantis  legend or a futuristic sub-marine civilization, etc. Between underwater cities and submarine craft and such it could be a lot of fun.

Or has it been done already?

Comments

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Under da sea, under sa sea. Something something something something wonders to something.

• RonaruudoRonaruudo Member Posts: 102

The rares are always greener
    In somebody else's inventory
    You dream about going up there
    But that is a whole other story
    Just look at the world around you
    Right here on the starter area floor
    Such low level monsters surround you
    What more is you lookin' for?

Under the sea
    Under the sea
    You noob, it's better
    Down where it's wetter
    Take it from me
    Up on the shore they gank all day
    Out in the sun they grind away
    While we be jammin'
    Full time with spammin'
    Under the sea!

Now that that's out of my system...An underwater mmo would allow for the same feeling flying in Flyff would give, but then more like the swimming with an underwater-breathing potion in WoW. But then the concentration would be on it, so it'd be prettier. Shark mounts ftw!

• MiNaAuMiNaAu Member Posts: 382
    Under the Sea
    Aint for MMORPG
    'Cos it may get wet n' ugly

You fight the Kraken
    While tangled in bracken
    N' get your inventory hackened

Atlantis is our town
    Makes our gamers frown
    Gotta hunt botters like a hound

Down under it's wet
    Stay above where there's no need to fret
    God made you live on land so it's set

Don't go trying to make
    An undersea mmorpg cos' it's not a piece of cake
    And then it's not real it's still fake

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    That will be a good mmo, we do have space games, and pirate/sailing mmorpgs, so why not go deeping underwater and start a futuristic deep sea mmo? Develop the most advance types of futuristic sea colors and also futuristic subs, sounds like a good idea.

• MiNaAuMiNaAu Member Posts: 382
    I don't see why we can't have a sky themed MMORPG too, cities in clouds lol so very corny. 

• Alle90Alle90 Member Posts: 83
    Good idea, not something for indie game developers tho, being one myself i cant see it working whitout state of the art grafics :)

I really hope that, something like that will be Mythics next project, cause they are the best mmo makers atm. But i think they have a bad experience of water, Trails of atlantis expansion for DAoC is the thing that killed the population on the servers :/
  • unzeunze Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Sorry for grabbing old topic, but im also interested in an underwater mmorpg.

Eventually based on Aquanox / Archimedean Dynasty (Schleichfahrt in german, nice story btw) by Bluebyte (1996). Like www.silentdepth.com, but this is a private project and they doesn't get really forward =/

Any infos out there about an underwater mmorpg?
  • YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    This is one I'm keeping an eye on, it sounds like fun:

mmohub.net/index.php

A MMO about Mermaids (and hopefully Mermen).  Random details that stuck out were rewarding all play styles equally (not having combat reward exponentially more XP than other activities like socializing and exploring, for example) and completely non-linear character development.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    There were some fun underwater zones in Everquest.  I really haven't seen the enviroments fully utilized in any games though.  You would think making lost underwater cities and floating islands that can only be reached by aquiring certain items would be a no brainer IMO.  How neat would it be if you had to go to varios areas in the world and assemble items like an underwater breathing device or boots of levitation that allowed you access to new unreachable areas.  I seem to vaguely remember things like this in old single player RPGs when I was younger, but I don't see the MMO version.
  • RogendRogend Member Posts: 22
    Dark Age of Camelot: Trials of Atlantis

Lots of stuff to do under water.
  • EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    Originally posted by CasualGamer

I'm suprised there hasn't been a MMO done with an underwater theme like perhaps built on the Atlantis  legend or a futuristic sub-marine civilization, etc. Between underwater cities and submarine craft and such it could be a lot of fun.

Or has it been done already?

dont play LoTRO. You cant even dunk your head underwater

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.