Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard Drive: Bad Block

I recently discovered that I have some bad sectors on my hard drive.

Does anyone know if it is possible to fix this particular problem, or know how to identify which sectors are bad?

I really don't want to use a different hard drive right now, I have been rather busy lately and will be for the next few weeks, and don't have much free time.

So if anyone knows of a program that can find the bad sectors and possibly repair them, that would be great. (I searched google and found a lot of different programs for these types of things, so it would be best if you have some experience with this particular program.)

Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Back up your data as fast as you can.

A bad sector can sometimes be repaired by a format or the chkdsk, disc repair utilities found by rightclicking your drive icon and selecting properties. (Next to Defrag).

But essentially it is the beginnings of the end.

Within days, one bad sector usually turns into many bad sectors. Until there are more corruptions than stable data areas. Most likely everytime you use this drive from now on, something will corrupt further.

This is what drive death looks like.

Back up your critical data and prepared to buy a new drive, this one has reached the end of it's shelf life.

• SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711

I was afraid of that.. Thanks.

• CooktasticoCooktastico Member Posts: 599

lol i thought you were talking about your car and expected to see some hawt carnage pics of you throwing a rod through your block or something. image

did you try defragging?

edit: nm i just read 2 posts up. bummer.

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by Slntasn
    I recently discovered that I have some bad sectors on my hard drive. Does anyone know if it is possible to fix this particular problem, or know how to identify which sectors are bad?(...)
    Scandisk (any defrag program should be able to) can label bad sectors as unusable & it will stop using them. It could be an indicator that the harddrive is dying.
    You should check your S.M.A.R.T numbers (harddrive statistics in how often it has failed tempetarue & lots of other numbers)), http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php is one free program that can check them.
  • xpyrofuryxxpyrofuryx Member CommonPosts: 1,587

Yeah, my Hard Drive is goin to shit on me now... which is weird cause its a Western Digital.

I cant even download stuff anymore cause when it downloads it it looses a bit of the information so it becomes corrupt. Its a bummer, but eh, what ya gunna do? Im planning on taking a lil of my next paycheck ($200) and buying a new one.

Any suggestions on a good one to buy would be welcomed. And i want to spend about under $100 on it. Thanks to anyone who would help

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Originally posted by JelloB2000
    Originally posted by Slntasn
    I recently discovered that I have some bad sectors on my hard drive. Does anyone know if it is possible to fix this particular problem, or know how to identify which sectors are bad?(...)
    Scandisk (any defrag program should be able to) can label bad sectors as unusable & it will stop using them. It could be an indicator that the harddrive is dying.
    You should check your S.M.A.R.T numbers (harddrive statistics in how often it has failed tempetarue & lots of other numbers)), http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php is one free program that can check them.

Only if they aren't psychical.

If they are psychical and you don't want to spend money on a new harddrive, the only solution is to do a low level format. I recently(within 1 month) found a buttload of bad sectors on my harddrive. Scandisk nor Diskchecker could repair it. I tried a normal format on the partition, that didn't help either. Got a new harddrive since it's my school computer and I can't risk it going down.

• GamewizeGamewize Member Posts: 956

I suppose one of the only real effective thing to do is backup your most prized data onto disks and do a total hard drive format, if that doesn't work then well im afraid you'll need to bury it, have a funeral, mourn for a few seconds, and get a new one.

I think it's the objective of your past self to make you cringe.

• SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711

Well I just bought a new one.

300gb plus a 16mb buffer from Seagate. Was only $140, so I guess it's not all that bad.