Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzom: Nevrax Going Into Receivership

It's been tough times for the ambitious French developers Nevrax. Today, the company announced that next month their company would be going into receivership. Although the world will keep running, they also announced that it would no longer be possible to pay to play their game. Instead, all accounts will be made free starting in December and only through free trials can new players join (without a skill cap).

The changes could signal the end of Ryzom if no new company is able to take over the product in the next few months.

As you will no doubt know, Ryzom has been going through a transition over the last few months. This transition is continuing into the new year and changes are starting to happen today.

The first news is that while the game WILL continue to run and be supported, Nevrax (as a corporate entity) will be going into receivership next month. We emphasize again that the game will continue to run and be supported as this is not the beginning of the end - just the end of the beginning.

As you all, we love our game and we want to see Atys and its homins continue to evolve. We are not alone in this feeling as from the shadows a company has emerged and are currently preparing a plan to take on Ryzom. We can't tell you more at the moment since it is being discussed but we will keep you informed when we get hard facts. We can assure you that much is happening behind the scenes.

In the meantime, Ryzom goes on. Your CSRs will continue to help you and to take care of everything, while our devs will continue to work on their current schedule: the next step is to patch the ATS with a few new things. So basically, while these negotiations are ongoing, everything else is business as usual.

As we don't want to cheat on you, while Nevrax is going through this transition period, the following actions have just been taken today around 3pm GMT regarding the billing system:

• All existing subscribed accounts created before 3pm GMT will be turned into free account with 1 month of free access.
  • It will not be possible to pay to subscribe to a full Ryzom account anymore.
  • You will still be able to create a Free Trial account, but at the moment there will be no possibility to upgrade your account and go to mainland. As a result we've removed the level cap for the Free Trial to give players in the Ruins of Silan much more to achieve in the meantime.
As things develop you can expect a return to the usual more conventional account options soon.

You can read more at their official website.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• maxpfaffmaxpfaff Member Posts: 42

again sad news

i have been playing ryzom in beta and just won the 1 month free (cough) here on mmorpg

i also tried the new Ring feature   and its an awesome idea  if i wasnt busy with building gameworlds for living   i would definately have liked creating some nice areas with this tool.

nevertheless   i always disliked  the look of the pc models

but well we will see what happens    sounds like they have some kind of backup plan

gonna try if my account works

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    First Seed, now this. Yet DnL and other uninspired game
    continue.

I guess its a very dog eats dog world for independent developers.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• freethinkerfreethinker Member UncommonPosts: 775
    sad news. ryzom (imo) is one of the better games.

I hope no one tells SOE...I'd hate to see them get their paws on it.

==========================

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

bankruptcy :(

I hope SOE did get their hands on it but it wudnt be profitable lso they wudnt lol.

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• LeasaLeasa Member Posts: 449

It is really sad.  I play Ryzom and I hope they survive this.

What is really unusual is that we as gamers are always complaining about the same old formula being used to make MMO's but we don't put our money where our mouth is.

As long as games that try to be different, keep failing or have a small following we are going to continue getting the same old crap. 

Guess what it is our fault.

So the next time you complain about MMO's look in the mirror.  Its not the companies its us.

Support Bacteria, its the only culture some people have.

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Why could'nt the MMORPG gods take SWG:NGE's life instead?

This news ruined my dayimage

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

Originally posted by freethinker
    sad news. ryzom (imo) is one of the better games.

I hope no one tells SOE...I'd hate to see them get their paws on it.

Yes, Nevrax must've done something special, then . . . it's such a good game, yet this news has nothing positive going for it.  Meanwhile, SOE continues to build on their flagship mmorpg, EQ2, improving it yet again with a quality expansion.  Despite whatever grudges you may have against them, they are among the top of the pack, and Nevrax is falling right out of it.  So god forbid SOE finds out . . .

I don't play Ryzom, although I've tried to a couple of times.  It just wasn't my type of mmo, but I do remember it being aweful at launch, which I never completely got over, and so I have half a smile on my face seeing Nevrax go down.  No product of SOEs ever was as bad as Ryzom was at launch, not even SWG:NGE. But I have to give a lot of credit to Nevrax for picking themselves up and really improving their game.  Too bad it doesn't seem to have worked out for them?  It is good to hear that the game will continue to be supported, however.

• martinj63martinj63 Member Posts: 83

You know I have to agree here. I gave Ryzom an honest shot and was met by one of the most unfriendly stick up their collective Butt communities I have ever encountered.  Each and every time I questioned anything I was told it was better that way and if I didn't like it go back to WoW. When I asked about Role-play I was told that they had something better than Role-play, they had a story line and from that point on I was referred to as "Role Play" in world chat the whole experience was quite bizarre.  I chalked it all up to a French thing and left.  I can't say that I'm surprised to see this happen. It was a lackluster boring ass game with a dysfunctional community, those aren't things a company wants to be known for.

Originally posted by Tymora

Yes, Nevrax must've done something special, then . . . it's such a good game, yet this news has nothing positive going for it.  Meanwhile, SOE continues to build on their flagship mmorpg, EQ2, improving it yet again with a quality expansion.  Despite whatever grudges you may have against them, they are among the top of the pack, and Nevrax is falling right out of it.  So god forbid SOE finds out . . .

I don't play Ryzom, although I've tried to a couple of times.  It just wasn't my type of mmo, but I do remember it being aweful at launch, which I never completely got over, and so I have half a smile on my face seeing Nevrax go down.  No product of SOEs ever was as bad as Ryzom was at launch, not even SWG:NGE. But I have to give a lot of credit to Nevrax for picking themselves up and really improving their game.  Too bad it doesn't seem to have worked out for them?  It is good to hear that the game will continue to be supported, however.

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717
    what a shame. ryzom has a great community in my experience. personnally i couldn't really get into the game somehow, otherwise i would have stuck around.
    first seed, now ryzom. what's next?

imageimage

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

I am glad. This game needs to die like all games with low subscriptions.

I understand there are people who really enjoy this game and I am not gloating or wishing you unhappiness, but this game does not belong on the top 10 rating list, it's a farce and proves the rating sytem on this site is a joke. I tried Ryzom and liked some aspects but disliked others and it certainly is not one of the better games out there.

If this game was truly as good as the ratings show, and had that much support, then obviously it would not be in receivership.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• GRIMACHUGRIMACHU Member Posts: 528

Originally posted by Jorev
    I am glad. This game needs to die like all games with low subscriptions. I understand there are people who really enjoy this game and I am not gloating or wishing you unhappiness, but this game does not belong on the top 10 rating list, it's a farce and proves the rating sytem on this site is a joke. I tried Ryzom and liked some aspects but disliked others and it certainly is not one of the better games out there. If this game was truly as good as the ratings show, and had that much support, then obviously it would not be in receivership.  

Fallacious assumption.

Not a great number of people like opera or renaissance paintings bt they are still worthwhile.

Not everything needs to be a runaway hit.

There's room for niche works to fulfill nees.

Postmortem Studios
    Roleplaying games to DIE for
    Shop here

• xenofurxenofur Member Posts: 34

> If this game was truly as good as the ratings show, and had that much support, then obviously it would not be in receivership.

To clarify what grim said in a humorous way: Britney Spears must have made astonishingly good music, not to talk of the quality of Windows. ^_^

• boingedboinged Member UncommonPosts: 161

This is very sad news. After being captivated in beta, I played solidly for over 2 years once the game launched. The community, for the most part, were great. The crafting/harvesting system was novel and required a bit of brainpower. There was even freedom in skills with the option to pay for a spell with range and time credits as well as the traditional 'mana' and health. Character were of course skill based rather than class based.

The amount of official events are unprecedented and more than make up for a lack of quests. Unofficial player events were well put together and showed great creativity on the players' part. I've not seen or been motivated to roleplay as much since leaving and my annual subscription would have been renewed if I had the chance, just to help keep this game alive.

Ryzom did seem to keep changing direction which is probably why it shed so many loyal followers. Initially a PVE-centric game where you tried to uncover the mystery of the planet which ultimately lacked enough content. PVP was the next big thing with old friends fighting over outposts to gain xp-boosting crystals and materials to craft better equipment. Recently Ryzom changed again to satisfy another group of people with the launch of the Ring, and plans on the horizon were for the whole world to become a PVP battle for control of teleporters.

Any of these game styles is fine on their own, but for me it was too difficult to switch between them. Like most of the players I had a strong emotional attachment to the game (hence the high ratings scores). I'm not sure what Nevrax will do now, or what will happen once this free month expires but I'd like to know what the closest Ryzom replacement is out there...

Rashan (Arispotle), currently playing Auto Assault & Roma Victor

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Sorry to see this happen. It certainly had some intresting concepts and one of the most helpful mature communities ever. Didn't completely capture my imagination but I may well go back for the next month. I hope someone picks up the reigns a) for the staff of Neverax and b) for the loyal community.
  • ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Jorev
    I am glad. This game needs to die like all games with low subscriptions.
    I understand there are people who really enjoy this game and I am not gloating or wishing you unhappiness, but this game does not belong on the top 10 rating list, it's a farce and proves the rating sytem on this site is a joke. I tried Ryzom and liked some aspects but disliked others and it certainly is not one of the better games out there.
    If this game was truly as good as the ratings show, and had that much support, then obviously it would not be in receivership.

It's a small company that has been doing the best it can. And Ryzom deserves to be a top ranked mmo for both it's gameplay/design and it's community.

Now here's the ass kicker: everyone on the official boards are having the expected "who is buying us" discussion with the also expected statements of leaving if bought by SOE, EA, Turdbine, etc. Nevrax is a French company. What if the bottom-dwellers at Farlan/NPcube bought it? Or what if the scumsucker leeches at EII (the Horizon's "devs") bought it? Those are the two things that would make me recommend killing this game. Anything else can be worked on.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718
    That's messed up. I remember betaing the game way back and was around the first group of mmo's I played but never put in the time to see the cool things I saw in the screenshots. Is this free trial account worth playing?

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• SteakpuncherSteakpuncher Member Posts: 255

It's a small company that has been doing the best it can. And Ryzom deserves to be a top ranked mmo for both it's gameplay/design and it's community.Now here's the ass kicker: everyone on the official boards are having the expected "who is buying us" discussion with the also expected statements of leaving if bought by SOE, EA, Turdbine, etc. Nevrax is a French company. What if the bottom-dwellers at Farlan/NPcube bought it? Or what if the scumsucker leeches at EII (the Horizon's "devs") bought it? Those are the two things that would make me recommend killing this game. Anything else can be worked on.
    Who would the community like to see pick up the game? I mean, everyone wants a decent team of people to come in and rescue the game and sort all this out, but sometimes that just cant happen. Nevrax are a great bunch of people, but theres a time scale they were working to when sorting this, the longer they went without a buuyer to save the game the less picky they would be. I was a huge fan of ryzom during beta, and ive tried the free trial a few times as well, but I could never really get into the game after missing so much at the beginning. Nevrax will try and do the best by the community.

I dont think SoR is $OE or EA's thing. Turbine, im not site about, and I think Nevrax would rather let the game die that hand it to Farlan/NPcube. EII I cannot comment on because I dont know much about them. If you truly think French connections would make the difference, dont forget Blizzard, subsidary of the French company vivendi.

I would like my first question answered though, about who the community would like to see take over the game.

note: im not trying to pick a fight, or suggest that anyone should be happy if the crap companies listed above got the game. Im genuinely intrested in who you would like to see take over the game.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Atomicide

It's a small company that has been doing the best it can. And Ryzom deserves to be a top ranked mmo for both it's gameplay/design and it's community.Now here's the ass kicker: everyone on the official boards are having the expected "who is buying us" discussion with the also expected statements of leaving if bought by SOE, EA, Turdbine, etc. Nevrax is a French company. What if the bottom-dwellers at Farlan/NPcube bought it? Or what if the scumsucker leeches at EII (the Horizon's "devs") bought it? Those are the two things that would make me recommend killing this game. Anything else can be worked on.
    Who would the community like to see pick up the game? I mean, everyone wants a decent team of people to come in and rescue the game and sort all this out, but sometimes that just cant happen. Nevrax are a great bunch of people, but theres a time scale they were working to when sorting this, the longer they went without a buuyer to save the game the less picky they would be. I was a huge fan of ryzom during beta, and ive tried the free trial a few times as well, but I could never really get into the game after missing so much at the beginning. Nevrax will try and do the best by the community.

I dont think SoR is $OE or EA's thing. Turbine, im not site about, and I think Nevrax would rather let the game die that hand it to Farlan/NPcube. EII I cannot comment on because I dont know much about them. If you truly think French connections would make the difference, dont forget Blizzard, subsidary of the French company vivendi.

I would like my first question answered though, about who the community would like to see take over the game.

note: im not trying to pick a fight, or suggest that anyone should be happy if the crap companies listed above got the game. Im genuinely intrested in who you would like to see take over the game.

If it wasn't for the fact that they would just butcher it into a WoW copy, I'd be fine with Blizzard taking over. Maybe if they bought it but let the original guys stay and develop with Blizzard's money to back them, then that would be different. The top pics on the official boards right now as far as preferences, Funcom and CCP are the ones players would like to take over if that's the way it goes. But with CCP's recent merger and Funcom working on AoC as well as AO, neither of these two would seem like likely candidates at this time. most agree these two would be the most likely to be able to run with the original concepts and ideals of Ryzom without totally changing the game. As well as the reputations of their ingame communities and customer service, which in my case I'd prefer Funcom of the two.

• SteakpuncherSteakpuncher Member Posts: 255
    well regardless of anything, I really hope it works out for SoR, its not one of the games I play myself, but I would be hugely dissapointed to see it go down the drain. I adore niche games, and everytime a game like Ryzom or AutoAssault starts dying, the concept of originality in the MMORPG genre goes with it. I think Ryzom and Autoassault were too ahead of their time in a way, and hopefully Vangaurd and Spellborn can get some new concepts and idea;s into the market.

To everyone out there who doesn't like niche games and think that all MMORPG's are about huge fanbases and such, just remember, many many neich games provide the market with new idea's. If everything was left up t huge companies, then all you have to look forward to is "Everquest 7 expansion 13: The same old thing", and "WoW 4: now with 5 Elvish races"

• andermananderman Member Posts: 70
    What a bummer, it seems innovation gets punished and disney-like movie licences continue to flourish and keep people like Jorev happy.  Who knows you might get the Scooby Doo MMO you've been praying for, for so long.

Ryzom Ring was a superb idea and as gamers we really should be supporting the indies a lot more, I agree with another poster this is our fault and especially WoW lovers like Jorev.

-Adam

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

I'd like to see CCP buy into this game.

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Hey Ryzom dudes!

EI interactive wants to publish your game!

imageimageimage

(damn... that joke was just too evil to even be funny)

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Oh I don't know, it's a very unique game and is very highly rated. Even by people who don't find it to their tastes.

Remember, in some cases, going to receivership can be a good thing as it allows a company to better manage debt.

It is more than possible that another company is already ironing out details to absorb Nevrax and its game. I wouldn't sweat it just yet.

Also, if the company has a lot of cash it could be a good thing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    thisx isx vnotx sayivngx thex gavnex isx goivngx dowvn,/x okx vnyx keycboardsx shotx illx typex laterx grrrrx  

playing eq2 and two worlds

• spritehspriteh Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by Sovrath

Remember, in some cases, going to receivership can be a good thing as it allows a company to better manage debt

The news says that there are "various companies" waiting to buy Ryzom. So let's hope for the best shall we? ;)

---
    "the" (ex-)spriteh