Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2006 Reader's Choice Awards: Nominations

Today we begin the nomination process for our second annual MMORPG.com Reader's Choice Awards. Last year, EVE Online took top honors in four of seven categories including Favorite Game. Can they defend their titles? What will be the new Most Anticipated Game? You decide.

This year, we again have seven categories (six returning, one new), but we have learned some lessons and changed the process. Rather than simply nominating games, we're providing you with drop-downs of all eligible games to vote on for the next two weeks. Once voting closes, the top four games and one editorial nominee (if necessary) will be entered into a final voting process that lasts for an additional two weeks. We will then announce the winners at the end of the year.

The categories are as follows:

• Favorite Graphics: Won last year by EVE Online, this category is open to all games currently on the market in commercial service.
  • Favorite PvE: World of Warcraft was selected by our readers last year as their Favorite PvE Experience. Do they have what it takes to retain the crown? This category, again, is open to all games in commercial service.
  • Favorite PvP: EVE Online was your favorite PvP experience last year. Did a year change anything? This category is open to all games in commercial service.
  • Favorite Story: The Saga of Ryzom pulled off an upset victory last year. Now, with the Ryzom Ring can they retain their crown as the favorite world/role-playing/backstory of any released MMORPG on our list?
  • Most Anticipated: Open to all games that have yet to launch, last year's winner Dungeons and Dragons Online has hit the market. Who will take home the crown this year?
  • Favorite New Game: This category is from a list of games that launched to commercial service in 2006 and is the only new category in this year's awards.
  • Favorite Game: Finally, from among those games on the market, what is your favorite MMORPG? Last year, the voters said EVE.
Click on over to our 2006 Reader's Choice Awards to cast your votes.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

Graphics - EVE still, specially with high res models.

PVE - EQ2

PVP - EVE

Story - None, cause i don't know any mmorpg with a main storyline thats good.

Most anticipated - None cause they all look like crap

Fave new game of 06 - None cause all sucked

Fave Game - Probally EVE even tho i quit it, all the others suck.

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• jrgambitjrgambit Member Posts: 157
    In my opinion this survey need a no choice / not applicable option.

For example, I did not have a favorite release in 2006, and i think i got around voting for one of the choices by going to the next page, but still, the option not to vote is needed.

Otherwise, I look forward to the results.

--------------------
    SWG - Killed by $OE
    WOW - Retired
    Playing WAR

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    2006 ... image wont go into the top of mmorpg hall of fame, what a lousy year :)

2007.... image cant wait
  • McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

I am a bit concerned that you listed last years winners next to the vote for this year. Seems to me that it might have a biasing effect, people who don't know what to vote might vote for last years winner.

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Originally posted by Mcgreag
    I am a bit concerned that you listed last years winners next to the vote for this year. Seems to me that it might have a biasing effect, people who don't know what to vote might vote for last years winner.
    I thought of that, but on the other hand... they did win last year, so it seems only fair.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• naldricnaldric Member UncommonPosts: 909

Originally posted by scaramoosh

Graphics - EVE still, specially with high res models.
    PVE - EQ2

PVP - EVE

Story - None, cause i don't know any mmorpg with a main storyline thats good.
    Most anticipated - None cause they all look like crap
    Fave new game of 06 - None cause all sucked
    Fave Game - Probally EVE even tho i quit it, all the others suck.

Story - Well Guild Wars got somewhat of a story

Fav new game of 06 - have to vote for Auto Assault, the only decente and somewhat original game of '06, even if it grows old quickly, i think they deserve my vote.

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    2006 was a dead year in MMO history. Most depressing list of newcomers I have ever seen.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

Graphics: EVE Online - it's dated as hell, but still it looks awesome. With Kali out soon™, all competition will be eliminated in this category.

PvE: Everquest 2 - it's a question of taste, but I personally haven't found any PvE that tops this. The amount and variety is superior. I had a hard time deciding between WoW and Everquest 2, but I think Everquest 2 is slightly better.

PvP: EVE Online - I completely suck at PvP in any form, so it's not one of the deciding factors to me, when I go out and buy a new MMO. That said, the PvP I found most heartpumping was that in EVE Online.

Story: Ryzom - By accident I chose Ryzom, but only because I didn't really know what else to vote. I don't care that much about lore.

Most Anticipated: Star Trek Online - I'm a huge ST nerd and can't wait for this game. I follow the progress closely and I really like what I've seen and read so far. I think we will finally see a movie franchise game that doesn't suck.

New Game: Guild Wars Nightfall - Well... I don't really like GW, but I can understand and appreciate why other people do. In my opinion, this is the only 2006 title that wasn't catastrophically bad.

Favorite Game: Everquest 2 - To be honest I haven't found the perfect substitute for DAoC. I played DAoC for 2 years straight in 2 different guilds, and left when my 2nd guild died for Everquest 2 followed by WoW. I got bored of WoW after hitting 60 and found myself trying out several other games (AO, Ryzom, EVE Online, DDO, Coh/CoV, RF Online, Horizons, Auto Assault, GW and SWG). I haven't found the substitute for DAoC yet, but I find that Everquest 2 is the game I keep coming back to. I hope STO will give me what I'm looking for.

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005
    I am still disappointed that Guild Wars receives cosideration for its 'expansion' packs.  I know you have some arbitrary definition in place, but I think your definition needs to be refined. With their expansions taking up the ranking, and now infiltrating the yearly readers choice awards, your ranking systems are loosing credibility in my book.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Too bad there is no best musical score category.
    Also a category for misstakes would be fun (like D&L:s billing problems, Horizons billing problems, Mourning taken off list due to Egomancer etc).

Not much happened in 2006 except for massive disappointments.

• McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

Originally posted by Lepidus

Originally posted by Mcgreag
    I thought of that, but on the other hand... they did win last year, so it seems only fair.

Well maybe not that important, I am just afraid of the flames :) I bet 100 to 1 that when this vote is done and eve has taken home several of the categories again there will be a flame thread where the trolls state eve didn't win fair and list the fact that it's listed as last years winner as one of the reasons.

Still remember the threads from last year where people claimed the only reason eve won was because there was so much downtime in eve when you could vote, while everyone else was too busy playing their great games to vote for them :)

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

For me,

Graphics: Lineage 2
    PVE: World of Warcraft
    PVP: Lineage 2
    Story: World of Warcraft
    Most anticipated: Aion
    New game: ArchLord
    Favorite game: World of Warcraft

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

What can I say, I been busy with WoW for 2 years.

• hlamperthlampert Member UncommonPosts: 7

Originally posted by Cerion
    I am still disappointed that Guild Wars receives cosideration for its 'expansion' packs.  I know you have some arbitrary definition in place, but I think your definition needs to be refined. With their expansions taking up the ranking, and now infiltrating the yearly readers choice awards, your ranking systems are loosing credibility in my book.
    Guild Wars Factions and Guild Wars Nightfall are stand-alone games that happen to work together with the original Guild Wars Prophecies. The fact that all the campaigns work together does not take away from the fact that they stand on their own as separate games.  One can own and enjoy any one, two, or all three, together or independently.  This, in my opinion, is an extraordinary accomplishment in the MMORPG field.  The Guild Wars games are incredibly accessible yet have a depth of story and tactical PvP that is unrivaled - so they all merit "consideration", as you put it.  The fact that Factions AND Nightfall were both produced in 2006 is only to NCSoft's credit.

• LuggLDLuggLD Member Posts: 1
    EVE wins best PVP. There is NO other game I've played where you actually get adrenaline pumping because you're afraid you might lose your 100mil ship as you exit warp into an unknown number of enemies... and the joy, oh the joy of obliterating them, looting their wrecks, or better yet: ransoming them :D

Nonconsensual PVP 4tw!

Originally posted by piquet

Favorite Game: Everquest 2 - To be honest I haven't found the perfect substitute for DAoC. I played DAoC for 2 years straight in 2 different guilds, and left when my 2nd guild died for Everquest 2 followed by WoW. I got bored of WoW after hitting 60 and found myself trying out several other games (AO, Ryzom, EVE Online, DDO, Coh/CoV, RF Online, Horizons, Auto Assault, GW and SWG). I haven't found the substitute for DAoC yet, but I find that Everquest 2 is the game I keep coming back to. I hope STO will give me what I'm looking for.

Sorry, but I cannot help but ask based on the above post: why not pick DAoC then if you cannot find a game to replace it?

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• badirontreebadirontree Member UncommonPosts: 42

Graphics: EVE Online - Kali will be out in a month = all competition will be eliminated in this category.

PvE: Everquest 2 - new expasion rule

PvP: EVE Online - the only pvp game that make my heart beat so fast in panic!!!... because if you lose you lose everthing :)

Story: Ryzom - ???

Most Anticipated: Star Trek Online

Originally posted by badirontree
    Graphics: EVE Online - Kali will be out in a month = all competition will be eliminated in this category.
    Revelations I (Kali I) will not include the graphics upgrades.... and the award is for 2006, not what's coming in 07!!

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    • Favorite Graphics: Still EVE for me, The atmosphere and grittyness of the game still takes it for me. I still love the effect of warping to a station located next to a planet, seeing the planet quickly grow from a little dot to a massive planet as you approach the station, the effect is very cool. Cool looking ships, amazing explosions and seeing swarms of missles streaming toward a target just gives a feeling of a epic conflict. The DX9 update will just make all this even better.
    • Favorite PvE: EQ2. Having 5000+ quests and an assload more variety in the quests it just kicks the crap out of WoW's lame PVE, took me 6 months to get sick of EQ2 PVE where WoW's took me only one.
    • Favorite PvP: EVE without question 
    • Favorite Story: I couldn't decide on this one so I chose EVE, the player-made story is the real star of this game and the BoB/ASCN war has been a major story all year. 
    • Most Anticipated: Age of Conan
    • Favorite New Game: Dungeon and Dragons Online cause it sucked less than all the rest. 
    • Favorite Game: EVE
  • acmtalkacmtalk Member Posts: 405
    I wish they would add a Worse game pool,  hehe  SWG would win it easy.

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652
    I agree, this year was probably the worst year in MMO history. I hope 2007 will be better.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    daoc easy across the board, new was DnD online, other then that warhammer looks great, thou done by the makers of daoc so I am biast lol.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441
      I hope Eve wins everything, making this site as irrelevant as possible yet again.

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• RejorRejor Member Posts: 36

Fav Graphics : Eve Online. They still look good to me currently, and they'll only be getting better in the near future.

Fav PVE : Phantasy Star Universe.I like the way they did combat in that game in general, making it a real time system instead of turn based sandwich combat that is in all the other mmos out there.

Fav PVP : Eve. 'nuff said.

Fav Story : I skipped this one. I coudn't think of an MMO that had a good story to it.

Most Anticipated : Star Trek Online

Fav new game : Phantasy Star Universe

Fav Game : Eve Online

The doll would surely say, "I do not want to be human!" although her master wants her to be even more.

• tubelighttubelight Member UncommonPosts: 276
    i see history repeating it self with EVE winning most of the awards ^^ hey i've voted for it too :) the most anticipated game for me is Star Trek Online