Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: MMOWTF: Along Came a Merger

CCP Games and White Wolf are now married. Fortier looks at their union and muses on who might be next in his weekly column.

How could I pass up an opportunity like this? While mergers are becoming more and more common as we spiral toward Cyberpunk, the most recent amalgamation between Crowd Control Productions (CCP, creators of EVE Online) and White Wolf Publishing (the second largest pen and paper RPG maker) made me stop and think. What other companies who might want a slice of a related industry would be looking to join forces with (or swallow whole) another company with a strong history and tools in the field? This week in MMOWTF I'm going to dig up some details behind this deal and speculate on the next big corporate fusion.

The full column is here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424
    Sony and Microsoft, now that would be funny :D

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• malachidarkmalachidark Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by scaramoosh
    hell yeah it would. i wonder what kind of MMORPG they'd put out...would probably be like the Halo guy would give you a quest to go kill 10 Gungans lol!

Currently Playing: Tabula Rasa
    Gaming History: EQ, EQ2, SWG, EVE, Anarchy Online, CoX, GW, SRO, Rakion, Ryzom, WoW, Rappelz, Shadowbane, 9Dragons, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, DnD Online, Space Cowboy, LotRO, Vanguard, Fury, Hellgate
    Wanting to Play: WAR, TCoS, Darkfall, Aion

• VideoXPGVideoXPG Member Posts: 268
    Mergers seem to happen everywhere these days, there is a potential merger between America West and Delta Airlines in the works. Although a lot of those merger ideas in the article are a little farfetched, but if business has shown us anything, it is that anything can happen.

• MustasioMustasio Member Posts: 9

I'm not crazy about Eve, but I do think it's well done.  I really like the sound of this merger.  I loved VtM:Bloodlines, and I love the whole World of Darkness, but I'm not into P&P and tabletop stuff.  And now Tulga seems to have given up completely on Dark World Online.

Bring on the world of darkness MMO! image

-Mustasio

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by malachidark

Originally posted by scaramoosh
    hell yeah it would. i wonder what kind of MMORPG they'd put out...would probably be like the Halo guy would give you a quest to go kill 10 Gungans lol!

That wouldn't be a merger, that would be a takeover. Bill would fire everybody at Sony::::02:: Then he'd find a way to have Commando's lead by Master Chief to kill all Jedi::::18::

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Originally posted by Zorvan
    Originally posted by malachidarkOriginally posted by scaramoosh

That wouldn't be a merger, that would be a takeover. Bill would fire everybody at Sony::::02:: Then he'd find a way to have Commando's lead by Master Chief to kill all Jedi::::18::

Bill is no longer involved in the day to day operations of MS.

Originally posted by Copeland
    Originally posted by malachidarkOriginally posted by scaramoosh

Bill is no longer involved in the day to day operations of MS.

Yeah, I know. He's "retiring". No matter what, he's still the boss. Just now, someone else will have to take the heat::::02::

• Lukane77Lukane77 Member Posts: 32

Hehe, I love this guy. 

Nice article dood.

Favorite mmorpg's:
    SWG
    WoW

• EnforcerdudeEnforcerdude Member Posts: 6
    Yay for Vampire MMOs!
  • ljfsevenljfseven Member Posts: 65
    Microsoft + Sony= Control over the East and West, world domination anyone?
  • KaldraniKaldrani Member Posts: 9
    CCP & WW are two indie companies that seem more interested in making kickass games than anything else....  This merger is the most exciting gaming news this year.

Originally posted by Kaldrani
    CCP & WW are two indie companies that seem more interested in making kickass games than anything else.... This merger is the most exciting gaming news this year.

And there lies the whole point of the matter. Both companies know what they are doing; in their own respective areas. However, here's what I see: WW will make a really great card game out of EVE. But whether or not that favor is returned from CCP's end by bringing one of WW's creations online successfully is another matter.

There's a big difference between EVE and a full, living, breathing 3D mmo with creatures, humans, vampires, werewolves, etc. running around interacting, changing clothing, being more than a painted backdrop with spaceships being autopiloted along a linear line.

As far as this merger goes, I do have high hopes for it. As to whether CCP can deliver is something we will all have to wait and see.

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118

I have been begging for a Vampire: The Masquerade MMO for years now, so this is very exciting to me.   I dont play EVE, but from everything I read it is a well made game.   Here praying for a very dark, persisitent sandbox with bunches of vampires running around sucking on some blood.  

MMM....blood    image

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by Kaldrani
    CCP
    & WW are two indie companies that seem more interested in making
    kickass games than anything else.... This merger is the most exciting
    gaming news this year.

And there lies the
    whole point of the matter. Both companies know what they are doing; in
    their own respective areas. However, here's what I see: WW will make a
    really great card game out of EVE. But whether or not that favor is
    returned from CCP's end by bringing one of WW's creations online
    successfully is another matter.

There's a big difference
    between EVE and a full, living, breathing 3D mmo with creatures,
    humans, vampires, werewolves, etc. running around interacting, changing
    clothing, being more than a painted backdrop with spaceships being
    autopiloted along a linear line.

As far as this merger goes, I
    do have high hopes for it. As to whether CCP can deliver is something
    we will all have to wait and see.

Well that's
    why they are developing the avatar technology for use in EVE first, to
    get it ready for when they make the WoD MMO. Win-Win situation for
    everybody IMO.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Wait wait, did the author of the article just say that Redemption was a 'faithfull conversion' of the WoD? HAHAHAHAHA! What a good laugh. While the single player story was fairly good, multiplayer was a bit before it's time. In terms of it's resemblance to the PnP game, there practicly wasn't one. ESPECIALLY in the single player portion of the game where you must kill 400 vampires and learn 30 different sets of powers, or Disciplines.

Now if he ment to say Bloodlines, not Redemption, I agree ;) Bloodlines was fantastic.

As to a WoD MMOG. WOOT. It'll most suredly be in their new edition, which is quite different and not nearly as successful or liked. But hell I'd still play it for years to come. Scratch that.. I WILL be playing it for years to come.