Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Fanfest: Avatars, Linux & Announcements

In part two of three, we look at walking on stations in EVE, graphic upgrades, Linux and other support and a range of other news and announcements. Check back soon for Part 3 on Revelations II and III and much more.

image Procedural animation is probably a dirty word among the animators of the world. Typical video games are created by hiring an army of artists to pre-render each individual movement of the character. They are then called up to perform them as appropriate. In recent years, games have added animation blending to make characters more life-like. An example of this is the ability for a character to turn his head to look at something as he runs along. Procedural animation throws all that out and mathematically has an avatar respond within their physical limitations to outside stimulus. The result is more dynamic, lifelike and promotes less art-intensive development. Will Wright's eagerly anticipated existence-simulation Spore promises to use this kind of technology to animate the creatures that players create.

The whole article is here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Screen Shots and Images Please!

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

We never did get a press kit (or at least I didn't) for screenshots.

...and there has been a horrible sequence events that leads to all my photos being locked in the camera.

Oddly, EVE is just about the worst company for having screenshots online, so for now, we're stuck with the same 10 images in each article image

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    "To date, the game has been dominated by intense alliance warfare. In
    China, there are super-guilds that transcend all online games. A few
    have taken up a foothold in EVE and the result has been intense PvP
    that has even gone so far as guild leaders paying people (with real
    money) to fight for them, quite the twist on the secondary market."

ooo i want a guild leader that'll pay me, so i can just fly around and kill things and be like, 'sorry honey, have to go to work', flip on the computer and get to killing!

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• GaliasGalias Lord of the Rings Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 70

Whoa...avatars in EVE??  This is the only thing that's stopped me from continuing to play this game.  I just need more than just a headshot and a ship that looks like two dozen others out there.

-G

• fenrisbluefenrisblue Member UncommonPosts: 138

OMG if they get avatars i think this may be the game i play FOREVER, i love what eve online has done with there flying portion of the game,...so i know as soon as avatars become reality its all uphill,we can expect some amazing things to hapen ,when we can walk around the stations,next will be planets,..then misions on planets..,.smaller land vehicle ,cities,itll be an amazing game and will dominate sci fi mmo at that point,..and i am sure it probably already does ,but it will make others who dont like flying around in a spaceship come and play too, like me,

also i would like to coment on the pvp in asia , someone said , a few replies back that they would love to be payed by there guild leader to go kill pvp for them,..well taht wont hapen in non asian marckets,..those guys over there are too serious about there games and just take it too far,..i know if the people in america where put on the asian servers(with exceptions of course) they would be anialated, you just dont see super guilds in america lol just not wirth our time, i play to have fun, with a side order of pvp,..not vice versa ;) talk to you guys soon i am sure :P

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by Lepidus

...and there has been a horrible sequence events that leads to all my photos being locked in the camera.

Oddly, EVE is just about the worst company for having screenshots online, so for now, we're stuck with the same 10 images in each article image

Well that sucks...

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• MirokataMirokata Member Posts: 107
    There's definitely going to be some murders from corp betraying in Asia.

• KurirKurir Member UncommonPosts: 244

I regretfully like Eve, though I don't really play it anymore, the game has become to rife with ganking/griefing/scammers/liars/asshats etc... choose your own description. I love the ideas presented and the viable avatar has been something the community has been asking for quite a while. I don't agree with the segment that wants to use them for FPS action.

The one thing that would bring me back full time, would be to create a separate server to allow those of us that just want to enjoy the game without the afore mentioned baboons. If PvP is your thing then have at it but don't expect everyone else to share your view. I will eventually allow my "subscriptions" to lapse since the game lost the fun factor long ago and I am merely hanging on for old time sake.

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Originally posted by Kurir

I regretfully like Eve, though I don't really play it anymore, the game has become to rife with ganking/griefing/scammers/liars/asshats etc... choose your own description. I love the ideas presented and the viable avatar has been something the community has been asking for quite a while. I don't agree with the segment that wants to use them for FPS action.
    The one thing that would bring me back full time, would be to create a separate server to allow those of us that just want to enjoy the game without the afore mentioned baboons. If PvP is your thing then have at it but don't expect everyone else to share your view. I will eventually allow my "subscriptions" to lapse since the game lost the fun factor long ago and I am merely hanging on for old time sake.

Guess what EvE is a PvP game be it in combat or PvP in the markets.

• I have to agree with the above poster that Eve is PVP based like it or not. PvP serves as a reasource drain on the economy to keep it in balance, and the economy is something very vital to the game.

If there is one critism I have to the game is that there is no way for new players to catch up with Vets. Also the learning skills are a pain, why should a new player need to spend their first 6 months of the game optimizing their next few years of playing.

• nightrosenightrose Member Posts: 10
    An actively developed Linux client will definately lead me to take another look at this game.
  • MrPopovMrPopov Member Posts: 217

Oddly, EVE is just about the worst company for having screenshots online, so for now, we're stuck with the same 10 images in each article

Aye, but the fans pick up where they left off:

Official Fanfest Video and Pictures resource Thread

EDIT:  I just realized you wanted screenshots of new game content, not pictures of the fanfest itself.  Oh well, leaving it up there anyway.

Originally posted by MrPopov
    Oddly, EVE is just about the worst company for having screenshots online, so for now, we're stuck with the same 10 images in each articleAye, but the fans pick up where they left off:Official Fanfest Video and Pictures resource Thread
    EDIT:  I just realized you wanted screenshots of new game content, not pictures of the fanfest itself.  Oh well, leaving it up there anyway.

Actually, either would do, the annoying part is I have the photos. Hopefully I can get technically sorted out before I write part three ;)

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Originally posted by LordSlater

I really don't know what a PvP game is anymore.  The line between what is and is not PvP has been blurred into incoherence over the years, especially in CCP's mind.  To say that I can go for entire months on end without encountering anything that resembles a human being, and saying its PvP, is a bit absurd unless you take a very broad view of what PvP may be.

However, I do know what a ganking, griefing, scamming, lying, and asshattery game is.  If that is what a PvP game is, or needs to include, then EVE shouldn't be a PvP game.  In fact, I'd say that if a PvP game includes ganking, griefing, scamming, lying, and asshattery, then EVE is, in fact, not a PvP game, simply because there are a lot of good qualities still in it (but maybe not for long) to warrant consideration.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708

Cool, that's extensive coverage, just the way I like them :)

Now about:

"To date, the game has been dominated by intense alliance warfare. In China, there are super-guilds that transcend all online games. A few have taken up a foothold in EVE and the result has been intense PvP that has even gone so far as guild leaders paying people (with real money) to fight for them, quite the twist on the secondary market."

Two words: Fuck & LOL.

• WoodenDummyWoodenDummy Member Posts: 208

I really don't know what a PvP game is anymore. The line between what is and is not PvP has been blurred into incoherence over the years, especially in CCP's mind. To say that I can go for entire months on end without encountering anything that resembles a human being, and saying its PvP, is a bit absurd unless you take a very broad view of what PvP may be.

However, I do know what a ganking, griefing, scamming, lying, and asshattery game is. If that is what a PvP game is, or needs to include, then EVE shouldn't be a PvP game. In fact, I'd say that if a PvP game includes ganking, griefing, scamming, lying, and asshattery, then EVE is, in fact, not a PvP game, simply because there are a lot of good qualities still in it (but maybe not for long) to warrant consideration.

That's a great post.

Originally posted by MrPopov
    Oddly, EVE is just about the worst company for having screenshots online, so for now, we're stuck with the same 10 images in each articleAye, but the fans pick up where they left off:Official Fanfest Video and Pictures resource Thread
    Actually, either would do, the annoying part is I have the photos. Hopefully I can get technically sorted out before I write part three ;)

As it turns out, it is me who is at fault for the images. My apologies, but they did in fact provide a press kit. I am so used to a CD everytime I go somewhere that I entirely forgot about the letter with the information for their online kit. It is found now, so the final article will be full of new Revelations and other screenshots/art.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Screens and Concept art : Press Kit screens and art @ EVE Vault

Excellent article, Dana! It's some of the most detailed coverage of that day that I have seen so far. Looking forward to the next installments!

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by Beatnik59
    I regretfully like Eve, though I don't really play it anymore, the game has become to rife with ganking/griefing/scammers/liars/asshats etc...
    choose your own description. I love the ideas presented and the viable
    avatar has been something the community has been asking for quite a
    while. I don't agree with the segment that wants to use them for FPS
    action. The one thing that would bring me back full time, would
    be to create a separate server to allow those of us that just want to
    enjoy the game without the afore mentioned baboons. If PvP is your
    thing then have at it but don't expect everyone else to share your
    view. I will eventually allow my "subscriptions" to lapse since the
    game lost the fun factor long ago and I am merely hanging on for old
    time sake.

I
    really don't know what a PvP game is anymore.  The line between
    what is and is not PvP has been blurred into incoherence over the
    years, especially in CCP's mind.  To say that I can go for entire
    months on end without encountering anything that resembles a human
    being, and saying its PvP, is a bit absurd unless you take a very broad
    view of what PvP may be.

However, I do know what a ganking,
    griefing, scamming, lying, and asshattery game is.  If that is
    what a PvP game is, or needs to include, then EVE shouldn't be a PvP
    game.  In fact, I'd say that if a PvP game includes ganking,
    griefing, scamming, lying, and asshattery, then EVE is, in fact, not a
    PvP game, simply because there are a lot of good qualities still
    in it (but maybe not for long) to warrant consideration.

A
    PVP game is any game where your actions can directly effect other
    players, whether good or bad. So dominating a market region is PVP,
    competing for mining resources is PVP, hiring a merc corp to disrupt a
    rival corps operations is PVP or blowing up passing ships for their
    cargo is PVP.

Ganking should be reduced with the HP increase coming out. Griefing is
    used far too much as an excuse for people just being lazy. Scamming an
    lying there is nothing wrong with as it's easily avoided if you just
    spend the minute amount of energy required to pay attention. Asshattery
    happens in all MMO's, difference with EVE is if someone is being an
    asshat, you have the option to blow the living crap out of them.

• HawkBladeHawkBlade Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Beatnik59
    I regretfully like Eve, though I don't really play it anymore, the game has become to rife with ganking/griefing/scammers/liars/asshats etc... choose your own description. I love the ideas presented and the viable avatar has been something the community has been asking for quite a while. I don't agree with the segment that wants to use them for FPS action. The one thing that would bring me back full time, would be to create a separate server to allow those of us that just want to enjoy the game without the afore mentioned baboons. If PvP is your thing then have at it but don't expect everyone else to share your view. I will eventually allow my "subscriptions" to lapse since the game lost the fun factor long ago and I am merely hanging on for old time sake.

I really don't know what a PvP game is anymore.  The line between what is and is not PvP has been blurred into incoherence over the years, especially in CCP's mind.  To say that I can go for entire months on end without encountering anything that resembles a human being, and saying its PvP, is a bit absurd unless you take a very broad view of what PvP may be.

However, I do know what a ganking, griefing, scamming, lying, and asshattery game is.  If that is what a PvP game is, or needs to include, then EVE shouldn't be a PvP game.  In fact, I'd say that if a PvP game includes ganking, griefing, scamming, lying, and asshattery, then EVE is, in fact, not a PvP game, simply because there are a lot of good qualities still in it (but maybe not for long) to warrant consideration.

I don't know where in the EVE universe you are, but ships are all over the place.  Unless your way out in 0.0 space where no one has claimed yet, or just play at way off peak hours.  Most locals in Min space has anywhere from 2-3 to over 100+.

EVE is one of the most PVP games I have seen in all my MMO's/years playing.  They kind of encourage infiltrating and spying on other corps for gain.  You go to most .5 and below area's and you can always find corps in a war.  And someone is always trying to get an upper hand by spying, or buying info to do that.  Hostile takeovers of Corps is allowed, and such.

Ganking, Greifing, Scamming, Lying, are ALL in EVE.  Been many nights in a small gang doing some mining when some pirate (player not rat), comes in either trying to steal from us or trying to blow up our mining ships.

Now on to the article...

I like the fact they are going to put in Avatars.  Now when the RP part of the Alliance takes place we can do it normally.  Adding Bars and such to stations would be cool.

FINALLY a corp that listens to the gamers asking for Linux and MAC clients.... I mean, come on all you others, intel now has a chip in a MAC, lets get moving.  There are a lot of gamers out there that want's Linux and MAC clients so they don't have to have 3 computers sitting around them.

Voice - Another item on the list of gamers so they don't have to have a another server sitting somewhere and worry about keeping it going.  I for one keep a Vent server running for my corp.  This is a nice added item to gamers all over.

Corp logo - Not a bad idea, nice first step into the having your ship painted.  Thats one thing that bugs me about most MMO's you can just look at someone and tell what race/class they are just by looking at them, and even in EVE, you look at a ship and can tell if it is tech 1, 2 or tech 3, etc.  Nice to be able to paint your ship whatever color and someone not able to tell what you are just by a look.

Nice to see that sometimes a gameing corp actually listens to it's gamers.  They may not be the biggest kids on the block, but at least they are in a class of their own.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    $10 a year for the voice is dirt cheap, like 87 cents a month, I spend
    more than that on my lunches some days. Hell even if it was $2 a month
    it would be reasonable.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Originally posted by Minsc
    $10 a year for the voice is dirt cheap, like 87 cents a month, I spend more than that on my lunches some days. Hell even if it was $2 a month it would be reasonable.
    Agreed. It's a very nominal fee for the feature it adds.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  

Originally posted by Minsc
    $10 a year for the voice is dirt cheap, like 87 cents a month, I spend more than that on my lunches some days. Hell even if it was $2 a month it would be reasonable.
    I'm not sure if I made it clear in the articles (I think I did), but one reason for the fee (other than bandwitdh) is to give people who do not like voice in games a good excuse not to use it image

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Originally posted by Guler

If there is one critism I have to the game is that there is no way for new players to catch up with Vets. Also the learning skills are a pain, why should a new player need to spend their first 6 months of the game optimizing their next few years of playing.

Terrible misconception. 

Time spent learning skills only impacts diversity in options when fitting ships.  While there are certain skills which provide an "advantage", these skills are readily accessible to new players early on in EVE.

Just because someone has 20million skill points does not mean they are capable of utilizing them all during combat.  Focusing and streamling character skill development will ensure that less then 3m-5m (3-5 months) skill points will make you as capable as the "veteran" in anything you could fly.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Originally posted by mindspat
    Originally posted by Guler If there is one critism I have to the game is that there is no way for new players to catch up with Vets. Also the learning skills are a pain, why should a new player need to spend their first 6 months of the game optimizing their next few years of playing.

Terrible misconception. 

Time spent learning skills only impacts diversity in options when fitting ships.  While there are certain skills which provide an "advantage", these skills are readily accessible to new players early on in EVE.

Just because someone has 20million skill points does mean they are capable of utilizing them all during combat.  Focusing and streamling character skill development will ensure that less then 3m skill points will make you as capable as the "veteran" in anything you could fly.

I'd recommend you move this part of this thread to the EVE forum.  Or hey, maybe you 2 could just post in one of the half dozen flamefests about this very topic.

To the original topic, all I have to say is, "Yay."  I am stoked about the direction EVE is headed for sure!