Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Fanfest: Revelations I & White Wolf

In the first part of a series of reports from EVE Online's Fanfest 2006, Dana Massey reports back from Iceland on the expansion formerly known as Kali (Revelations) and the company's merger with White Wolf. Future reports include Revelations II and III and where EVE is headed in years to come. Check back in the coming days for these reports.

image Originally, CCP presented Kali to the world as an epic expansion that would fundamentally alter the universe. It was huge. New models, textures, Windows Vista support, a completely new factional warfare system and much more. The revolution was underway, but soon they realized that it just was not possible - or sane - to pull off that much content in one giant bundle. So, they split it into three and Revelations I was born. On November 28th, the first of three parts hits the live servers.

Currently available on their public test server, Revelations I not only continues the theme of Biblically named expansion packs, but also further fills out a game world that has been relentlessly growing since the title's initial launch in May of 2003. Unlike many expansions we see, Revelations does not just throw a couple new classes and races (or should I say skills and ships) into the equation, but systems that fundamentally alter the experience (although there are four new battlecruisers and four new battleships to go along with those systems).

The first article is available here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Impressive.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• daemonbarberdaemonbarber Member UncommonPosts: 78
    They've also got a downtime, Friday 17 November, durring which they're adding two new IBM Bladecenters with 50 new nodes.  Increasing the total size of the EVE cluster by 40%. image

EVE Rocks. image

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Great Article! I have been converted! I am taking the plunge with Eve- this game looks amazing and looks
    like what I have been looking for in a sci fi game. Eve is all about their fan base;
    Eve puts a smile on my face for Sci FI online games.  

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276
    Very interesting.

I am going to keep an eye on EVE as it proceeds. It still just doesn't quite apply to me (I still don't like the time it takes to get anywhere, and (even for a PvP game) the lack it seems of stuff to do for PvE. However, CCP is a top notch company, and talk about Revalations II and III is very interesting.

• martinj63martinj63 Member Posts: 83

EvE is an amazing game because it is an evolving game. I have played since the first beta and I have seen the game come from mining and killing people to one of the most prolific MMO's on the market today.

EvE does have its haters and I'm sure Bane and Beatnik will scurry out from under their rocks at any moment to accuse CCP of hiding things and  to shout their conspiracy theories to whoever will listen.

I am glad WW isn't making the mistake they made with the EQ P&P conversion  and are actually hiring a real game designer and writing team for this,  it was a hard lesson for them, but that is what makes WW such a powerhouse, they learn from their mistakes  as does CCP.

Looking for many years of quality EvE products.

EvE never Fades.

Originally posted by Lateris

Great Article! I have been converted! I am taking the plunge with Eve- this game looks amazing and looks like what I have been looking for in a sci fi game. Eve is all about their fan base; Eve puts a smile on my face for Sci FI online games.  

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599
    I am not EVE player but this all sounds awsome

Especially ZOOM out feature. Much like ELITE FRONTIER :) !!!

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• L4a-ShadowL4a-Shadow Member Posts: 6
    I hope they will hold the 28th Novoember for patching the live server with first part of Revelations.

• XXenXXen Member Posts: 88

I think they test much better then with RMR or Blood, but i think the week after the patch will be
        a horrible mess, even highload testing on SiSi (Testserver) wont help there
  • NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Originally posted by XXen

I think they test much better then with RMR or Blood, but i think the week after the patch will be
        a horrible mess, even highload testing on SiSi (Testserver) wont help there

Yeah its expected to be a little rocky(will be scheduling a multi week advanced skill for then). Also thankfully as the expansion is in 3 parts and most of the improvement's base changes are being made now. That means that they can tweak the base improvements as they add more advanced features.

Now one thing I love about this patch is the addition of the exploration system with the supposedly 700+ stages to the new exploration PVE missions.

I'll  be praying for a clean release(fa chance it will happenimage)

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236
    I'm intrigued about this exploration system they're doing.  Zooming out from your ship to view the map will make strategists happy with their PvP missions and their wars, as well as traders.  I always hated changing screens to view the map. 

The Points of Interest are what I've been hoping for in the game forever.  And with the map how it is now, that would be very difficult. 

I like the idea of zooming out, finding interesting places using scans and then traveling there.  It seems like it will add more fun to people that aren't in corps yet.  It will make them more interested in the game when they want to play alone.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

CCP & EVE should be a model for all MMORPG companies. I think that in the coming years EVE will overpower many of the big names we are seeing today. CCP lives on the idea of "community first; game second". And what I mean by that is that they try to do things to better the gameplay in a way the will further expand the community and makes it all around better, rather than adding more to the game part of it. If that makes anysense.
    Like WoW: "HEY LOOK WE ADDED A NEW PIECE OF ARMOR! PRAISE US!"

Every expansion does add a bit of new items, but really in every patched they have tweaked the game just a little bit to make it that much better.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by SnaKey
    CCP & EVE should be a model for all MMORPG companies. I think that in the coming years EVE will overpower many of the big names we are seeing today. CCP lives on the idea of "community first; game second". And what I mean by that is that they try to do things to better the gameplay in a way the will further expand the community and makes it all around better, rather than adding more to the game part of it. If that makes anysense.
    Like WoW: "HEY LOOK WE ADDED A NEW PIECE OF ARMOR! PRAISE US!"Every expansion does add a bit of new items, but really in every patched they have tweaked the game just a little bit to make it that much better.

now we just need super-hero, fantasy, & horror MMOs that will take their queues from ccp...

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• SolanarSolanar Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Sweet, I'm thinking of re-subscribing to this...

on nov. 28 ofc, I don't like current form of game

?played: Nearly everything.
    ?waiting: *Darkfall*, Hero''s Journey

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Originally posted by Solanar
    Sweet, I'm thinking of re-subscribing to this...

on nov. 28 ofc, I don't like current form of game

wait a week till the server stabilizes you'll get a better opinion of the new patch

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    NIce additions. Now let's see how it translates into the WW world when this MMO releases some day :)

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    How exactly were BMs nerfed? It would suck if we had to travel the 15 mile distance to the gate every time we want to go to a dif system.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• PegasusJFPegasusJF Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by Lateris
    Great Article! I have been converted! I am taking the plunge with Eve- this game looks amazing and looks
    like what I have been looking for in a sci fi game. Eve is all about their fan base;
    Eve puts a smile on my face for Sci FI online games.  

Good to have you on board Lateris, I hope you enjoy EVE.

Be warned however, it's not a game that gives you instant gratification, it takes some effort to find your fun.

The common suggestion to help you achieve that are as follows:

1. Do the tutorial
    2. Do the tutorial agent missions.
    3. Take risks, make friends, and most of all, take risks.

I would also suggest you join EVE University, a corp whose goal is to help new players, so they can also help ease you in.

Again, welcome to EVE, feel free to contact me if you wish

God bless

Creed

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Originally posted by jimmyman99
    How exactly were BMs nerfed? It would suck if we had to travel the 15 mile distance to the gate every time we want to go to a dif system.

You can warp to 0 on any object, by default.
  • Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

Originally posted by Urza123

Except when on autopilot. That is still at 15km always. Basically, CCP just gave everyone free instas for the entire galaxy, minus the DB load.

Oh, and all BMs within 40km of celestial objects (just gates and stations I guess?) will be automatically deleted. Dunno if this will be a permanent restriction or not.

To compensate for the change, CCP is doing something to make it a little easier to capture people. The rumor right now is allowing Interdictor ships to deploy their Warp Disruption Probes in low sec.

//insert sig here
  • toppcatttoppcatt Member Posts: 1

I have asked once before, and I will ask again.  When will the exportable wallet be re-enabled, or change the wallet export to text instead of a graphic so that the text can be copied.  Maintaining sales for a Corps is a nightmare having to hand enter all the values in an Excel spreadsheet.  Once this is done, I will be able to spend more time playing and less keeping the books.

Looking forward to the next release, especially the invention upgrade.  Will bring back memories of EnB and reverse engineering technology in that game.

Toppcatt

Happy Hunting

Toppcatt

Happy Hunting

Kali 1 or 2 should include new CEO tools - the Kali Development forum has details on what they include.  I suspect that the ability to export your wallet will be included, since everyone always asks for it.

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

Originally posted by Rattrap
    I am not EVE player but this all sounds awsome

Especially ZOOM out feature. Much like ELITE FRONTIER :) !!!

eve is not my cup of tea but i am happy that ex enb players have a place to call home there, wish i could rnjoy the game and i would be aside yall, and devo rocks.

playing eq2 and two worlds

Originally posted by Nadril
    Very interesting.

I am going to keep an eye on EVE as it proceeds. It still just doesn't quite apply to me (I still don't like the time it takes to get anywhere, and (even for a PvP game) the lack it seems of stuff to do for PvE. However, CCP is a top notch company, and talk about Revalations II and III is very interesting.

Good news for you then - PvE is getting a huge boost with exploration (randomly generated content appearing space).  Travel time has been reduced significantly: everyone can now 'warp to zero' meaning there's no more slowboating it to the gate for 2 minutes after every warp.

It's got it's share of problems, but the devs pay attention to the community, and even if they take forever to come to a solution, atleast they respond to player complaints!
  • kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692
    Not to mention that whole FREE aspect of this Expansion.  Shame on these other companies that expect you to pay more money for very little new content some new races and fixes that should've been in two years ago and call it an LOLEXPANSION.  $40 my @$$.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Originally posted by Urza123
    How
    exactly were BMs nerfed? It would suck if we had to travel the 15 mile
    distance to the gate every time we want to go to a dif system.

Wellll,
    thats no nerf at all, thats a BUFF! and a good one! Makes me feel I had
    lots of time to split between PS, GW and Eve. ANd I love the random
    encounters + lootable "corpses", feels very much E&B-ish indeed. If
    only they had a visual  representation of a tractor beam pulling
    stuff out of the wreckage (like in E&B) that would be so cool...

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage