Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: Echoes of Faydwer Preview

It hits the servers today and we have our preview. Carolyn Koh has played the beta extensively and lets us know what's new, what's good and what's bad in the new expansion to EverQuest II.

image The Fae are a good race and as such, players wanting to create a Fae may only play the good and neutral classes. The smallest of the player races available, the Fae glide above the ground, propelled by their fluttering wings as a winged humanoid creature would. It's not all sunshine and rainbows, however, as the customization allows a player to create Faes ranging from pink and blonde Princess goodness to Diablo dark fallen angels. So despite the fun I've made of them, I enjoyed creating several Fae characters just to see the range of customization available.

Since Echoes of Faydwer brings back the ancestral homeland of the Wood Elves, High Elves, Gnomes and Dwarves. Players creating any one of these races including the Half Elf and the Fae, can choose Kelethin as their starting city.

The full preview is here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• Masters_XMasters_X Member Posts: 6
    neat-o.

• WhitewalkerWhitewalker Member Posts: 86
    Nice work. Should be a good expansion. image

• WikingDKWikingDK Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I cant wait to test those guild cloaks :)

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Your the best Carolyn, thanks for the preview, will you be doing a full review over the next couple of weeks?

For myself, I waited to re-activate my old account for this expansion so I'm hoping to get in there with a new Fae and have some fun, hoping this adds a spring in the step of EQ2.

• BelgueBelgue Member UncommonPosts: 46

The expansion is really good indeed ( I was in Beta).

You just forgot one thing in your review, they are revamping all PVP system, fixing resists, evacs, debuffs...

Its really funny to see in EQ2 forum, threads like "Thanks SOE..." or "DEVs we love you.."

.. I am serious!!!

Originally posted by leowolff

The expansion is really good indeed ( I was in Beta).
    You just forgot one thing in your review, they are revamping all PVP system, fixing resists, evacs, debuffs...
    Its really funny to see in EQ2 forum, threads like "Thanks SOE..." or "DEVs we love you.."
    .. I am serious!!!

Hehe, I was just thinking the same thing.

I went over to the eq2 forums expecting the usual ranting, raving, balancing fiasco that usually clusters up any SOE board and I was amazed to see so many positive threads about the expansion pack and the host of other features that are comming along with LU29.

Its so wierd, honestly don't know if I can deal with SOE boards being so civil and... well, nice! Quite the shock it was. Could it be that the SOE/EQ2 team have actually managed to come out with something isn't just free of suckage, but is actually really good?

• SimmeonSimmeon Member Posts: 3
    So where in there does she say what's good and what's bad?
  • CarolynKohCarolynKoh Staff WriterMember Posts: 202
    In reference to the PvP, I was trying to keep the Update and the Expansion seperate... which was not the easiest thing to do since they were releasing so much info in the last few days and recently, SoE has been scheduling Updates at the same time as an expansion - which makes sense.  They have the servers down anyway.  :D

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• kaladekalade Member Posts: 69

Having bought the actual box edition (which took me liek ten stores too find.. because people didnt carry it or had just sold out!), it came with a map and on the map it listed The Estate of Unrest just off butcherblock :) which i saw wasnt mentioned (while crushbone and mistmoore were).. and it also showed mistmoore but didnt technically show crushbone on the map tho i had known it was in.. just wanted to let people who may recall unrest as much as me, know it is in there from the looks of it! Cant wait to explore faydwer on my dwarf and new fae! YAY for something hopefully good with eq2... /dance.

Kalade the happy dwarf who just wants to visit kaladim again.... :)

• MyddynMyddyn Member Posts: 2
    I can't wait to get into the game to play this.  When I played the original EQ, I'd spend as much time as I could in the faydarks.  Many nights I'd take my iksar beastlord over there just to slaughter orcs in crushbone to gain faction.  Imagine the reactions from some when they'd ride up a lift into Kelethin and see an iksar sitting there right next to the guards.  Ahhh...the good ol' days.
  • ShadowS4SShadowS4S Member Posts: 2

How can i log in while they say that the Severs are Busy??? They say wait a view minutes but i wait an half an hour and then it says again they are busy!!! WTF is wrong with it>>>>??????

imageimageimageimage

Originally posted by ShadowS4S

How can i log in while they say that the Severs are Busy??? They say wait a view minutes but i wait an half an hour and then it says again they are busy!!! WTF is wrong with it>>>>??????
    imageimageimageimage

A litte patience is always needed during patch/expansion days and that much more on this one. Since patch LU29 was rolled out at the same time as Faydwer, it's a huge job and there's bound to be issues here and there.

There's quite a few people that are able to get into game now so I'm sure your issues will clear up soon enough, you can always check out the official forums too and see if there's any announcements.

EDIT:

You can also check out http://eq2players.station.sony.com/network_status.vm for server status.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Unrest IS part of the expansion, but there were some bugs with some of the parts of it, so its currently closed and being worked on, and will be opened in a few weeks. The rest are all there.

Loving this pack so far, having played some beta's recently of upcoming MMOs, this is actually alot more fun.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Grrrrr! Now I have to play EQ2 again?!? OK!image

Awesome preview Carolyn. Really made me want to re-sub and just be a n00by in Fay.image

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169
    I played EQ2 when it first launched, this might bring me back for a while, since everything else seems to be pushed back to 2007 and im getting bored .  image  Pluss all the good things people have said about it so far helps.

• martinj63martinj63 Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by shae

I went over to the eq2 forums expecting the usual ranting, raving, balancing fiasco that usually clusters up any SOE board and I was amazed to see so many positive threads about the expansion pack and the host of other features that are comming along with LU29.

Its so wierd, honestly don't know if I can deal with SOE boards being so civil and... well, nice! Quite the shock it was. Could it be that the SOE/EQ2 team have actually managed to come out with something isn't just free of suckage, but is actually really good?

Well  when 98% of Asshats and retards are Trolling the WoW forums.........image

A lot of it has to do with the moderators,  Forum suspension means in game suspension  and SOE has no problem banning an account. A good friend of mine is one of the Mods on the WoW forums  and he laments daily at the difference in community, but will tell you that Blizzard management feels any form of discipline is squelching  the customers freedom, so you end up with the worst community on the interwebs.  My friend likened the community with a head honchos children once…Spoiled little brats that will probably end up Menendizng  their parents before all is said and done. Still Vevendi has been all over Blizzards back about the forums of late,  it would be shocking to see them actually get their act together.

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    More food for the Zombie community...

---

• martinj63martinj63 Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by godpuppet

Hmmmmm Then that would make the WoW community what the enlightened  living?  ROLF

I think Tseric from the WoW forums described the community best at Comic Con. "Yeah it doesn’t help that most of put fans live in Trailer Parks and have a sub 84 I.Q. .... Still their money spends yes?"  

Say what you will about SOE at least they make an apperance of respecting their fans at Trade Shows and gaming events. I attended Blizcon, E-3 and Comic-Con  Blizzard devlopers all act as if they are going to catch thier fans Stupid or somthing.

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

Originally posted by martinj63

Hmmmmm Then that would make the WoW community what the enlightened  living?  ROLF

I think Tseric from the WoW forums described the community best at Comic Con. "Yeah it doesn’t help that most of put fans live in Trailer Parks and have a sub 84 I.Q. .... Still their money spends yes?"  

Say what you will about SOE at least they make an apperance of respecting their fans at Trade Shows and gaming events. I attended Blizcon, E-3 and Comic-Con  Blizzard devlopers all act as if they are going to catch thier fans Stupid or somthing.

My post was refering to the SoE community.

---

• Nsane30Nsane30 Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by martinj63

My post was refering to the SoE community.

At least WoW suscribers have a high enough IQ to spend their money on a quality game rather than wasting it on a pos game like EQII imo =P.  There is 100 times more mature and intelligent adults playing WoW than EQII.  However, there is 1000 times more immature players playing WoW than EQII.  If you hang out and play with the mature players the game is quite enjoyable.  Regardless, all of them have better sense than people who give money to Sony who ran every game they ever had into the ground.  Course EQII they didnt have to.. it was a flop from the start, and still is.