Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sega drops the ball

No the game is great, I like it a lot.  I was a big fan of PSO also.  So how did Sega drop the ball?  The game needs no serial number to activate, you can download it online from warez sites and pay the monthly fee to play online.  WTF is wrong with Sega?  How could they be so stupid?  image

Comments

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718
    Think is you never know what they are planning next so I'd suggest we wait and see. I know we didn't get the halloween event and I'm pretty sad about that, but oh well. Just wait and see bro.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276
    I think the main reason we didn't get an Halloween event is because of the closeness to release date.

As far as the serial number I like the fact it doesn't so I can just purchase a second guardian license and be able to play with my wife.   The only ones I am really hearing bitching about these are the console users since they would have to buy a second copy.   I think Sonic Team figured that this game wouldn't be nearly as big on the PC side so they were willing to risk pirated copies.  They will still make money off the Guardian License at anyrate.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• BonzarBonzar Member Posts: 176
    So I was going to pick this up for my 360 and then decided, nah. I played the Beta and wasn't really impressed, just seemed like PSO with better graphics (albeit, still disappointing for a 360). Can any of you guys tell me how the game is so far?

I liked the team atmosphere in PSO but hated the ninja looting that proliferated. Not that I hated the looting itself, I loved that. Also, the combat on all sides gets extremely stale in PSO. I especially felt bad for the Forces, they just had like 4 different spells that they keep throwing with no real difference other than number of targets, always seemed so boring.

I guess I'm wondering how much rare/unique loot there is to be found, how many secret areas there are (the first one was as linear as it got) and if the 6 man teams make it anymore fun than the old 4 man teams. Also, is there anything new to the combat I may have missed. It felt EXACTLY the same during the Beta.

Oh, and big-ups to Southfield, MI. I used to live none too far away before I moved out to New York City. What's the weather like there?

• KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663

I've been playing on 360 and I gotta say I'm hooked.

I love this damn game and can't get enough. It is similar to PSO, but PSU is WAY more fun, the graphics are better, and the realtime combat is such a refreshing switch from the auto-attack targeting, mash numbers for specials combat that is in EVERY other MMO.

I'm axiously awaiting the update and can see myself playing this game for awhile.

If you even halfway liked PSO, I'd get PSU... it's so much fun.

The crafting is actually rewarding and fun. Upgrading your weapons is a gamble unless your "lucky" that day.

Each day a different race/sex is "lucky" for the day. It increases your chances of success in crafting and upgrading and, if the "lucky" person is the party leader, it increases the chance for rares to drop.

They're adding vehicles, you can mix the 3 main types (Hunter, Ranger, Force) and get advanced types, your partner machine (MAG) changes and develops as you feed it, which increases your crafting sucess rate and they fight along side you when they are production lvl 80.

• hashdhhashdh Member Posts: 8
    in line with sega dropping the ball....

i did think that the pc version not having a cdkey was a bit of a shock, but i wouldnt call it dropping the ball. unless you count the fact that since it doesnt ahve a cdkey, you dont get any free playing time out of the box, that could be a lil ball dropping.

but seriously, the biggest ball drop is the fact that 360 play on their own servers insted of being with the ps2/pc bunch. im sure micro$oft had a big part to do with this, but its still rather sucky. a friend of mine jsut traded in his 360 vers for a ps2 vers just to play on the same servers as his pc buds, which is so wrong in so many ways.
  • treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Yeah I love the no serial PC version I bought the game and then convinced my buddy to get a hunters license.  I doubt he would have paid 50 bucks for the game but the concept of paying 50 bucks for 7 months of play time with the free month was enough to draw him in.  He comes over and plays on my network and we're having a blast espically being in the same room, not sure if SEGA didn't think it out or what but its great imo, I can see other friends joining us because of this fact.

• nynnivanynniva Member UncommonPosts: 235

Or maybe it was intentional ;P Which, once you get past the irritation that you paid and someone else didn't, really ends up in more subscriptions for them. ..

Gaming? That's not gaming!
    That's just people sat 'round in costumes drinking...

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by xIMPx
    No the game is great, I like it a lot.  I was a big fan of PSO also.  So how did Sega drop the ball?  The game needs no serial number to activate, you can download it online from warez sites and pay the monthly fee to play online.  WTF is wrong with Sega?  How could they be so stupid?  image

WHAT!? so I have been waiting a month...for NOTHING!?
  • grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by Gameloading
    Originally posted by xIMPx
    WHAT!? so I have been waiting a month...for NOTHING!?

lol The guardian license is not on EU XBL and the pc/ps2 license system does not accept EU credit cards.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080
    I have no idea why they did that, but at the same time, with the subscribtions..it dosn't truely matter ;P MOST people buy a hard copy, anyway.

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

Dropped the ball? It was purely intentional, and it was a good move, honestly.

This game was a low-risk project on the part of SEGA. You may not realize it, but very little money actually went into developing the game, and very little is going into maintaining it compared to a traditional MMORPG. They don't need to recoup a huge initial investment, so they're willing to lose box sales for the sake of subscriptions. Honestly, they need to. This game sold well in Japan. It did not in other markets by any measure. Combined with their slightly below-market subscription cost, this will help their market penetration outside of Japan.

I'm not saying it's a bad game. It's at least a decent game, even if it has flaws. Dated graphics compared to a new PC or 360 game? Yeah. Highly similar gameplay to PSO? Yeah. Clumsily ported to the PC? Yeah. Still a decent game.

• PwNeDinCiNcYPwNeDinCiNcY Member Posts: 7
    I'm a PSU junky too.  I've got it for the 360 and I have to be pried away from it at times.  I think the graphics are better than PSO and I will be playing this game for quite some time.

• japarker86japarker86 Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Kurush
    Dropped the ball? It was purely intentional, and it was a good move, honestly.This game was a low-risk project on the part of SEGA. You may not realize it, but very little money actually went into developing the game, and very little is going into maintaining it compared to a traditional MMORPG. They don't need to recoup a huge initial investment, so they're willing to lose box sales for the sake of subscriptions. Honestly, they need to. This game sold well in Japan. It did not in other markets by any measure. Combined with their slightly below-market subscription cost, this will help their market penetration outside of Japan.I'm not saying it's a bad game. It's at least a decent game, even if it has flaws. Dated graphics compared to a new PC or 360 game? Yeah. Highly similar gameplay to PSO? Yeah. Clumsily ported to the PC? Yeah. Still a decent game.
    Good points in here. Agreed.

• jphammy24jphammy24 Member Posts: 5
    Although there are some downfalls to it, I still enjoy playing it and I'm glad I got it.  Hopefully they'll release more content soon!