Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

9Dragons: Developer Journal: Ken Johnston

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Ken Johnston, the CEO of Persistent Worlds, pens the latest 9Dragons Developer Journal. Today, we learn about the items of 9Dragons. We also have ten new and exclusive screenshots for you to enjoy.

image Emerald Jade... rare, beautiful, translucent. The most precious material that could be found in ancient China. A perfectly crafted jade item would pit trader against trader, warrior against warrior and thief against thief... could even spark the imagination of The Imperial Emperor himself. For to own such a treasure may offer one a certain power... and makes that one a target for all those who would seize it...

This is an introduction to the type of items you will find in 9Dragons, the first authentic martial arts MMORPG that's coming soon to America through Acclaim Games and to Europe through Persistent Worlds.

The whole journal is here, while all ten screenshots are here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• jpcooper43jpcooper43 Member Posts: 1
    This seemed more of a fluffy prose piece that describes run of the mill magic items. What makes the items in 9 dragons more than your average buff/debuff? I like the concept of the game of course, but what will make the game stand out from the rest?

• SoliTearSoliTear Member Posts: 46
    I saw the article as one that descibes in general the game play.  I am looking forward to being able to see what this game is really about.

• jopyjopy Member Posts: 24
    the game is pretty similar to korean mmos, i.e. it sucks

i tried the viet OB which is identical to the US OB except for language
  • DentoDento Member UncommonPosts: 138

This game looks pretty good but if you go to the official forums for this game you'll see there are no comments or updates from devs at all.

They don't seem to be too receptive to any feedback at all and answer no questions.

You may get a response from a board mod but even they will tell you they don't know what’s really going on.

It just kind of rubs me the wrong way

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169
    Ive played lineage II and they have one of the best looking worlds that ive ever seen, so im excited about what the world will look like in 9 dragons, as far as the rest of the game, it intrigues me. Just hoping that character creation is a little more indepth than lineage II was . 

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by Dento
    This game looks pretty good but if you go to the official forums for this game you'll see there are no comments or updates from devs at all.
    They don't seem to be too receptive to any feedback at all and answer no questions.
    You may get a response from a board mod but even they will tell you they don't know what’s really going on.
    It just kind of rubs me the wrong way

I've been in alot of betas, and whenever the devs are "distant" it's always been a very bad sign. I've heard from someone in this beta who's told me that they haven't seen any devs in-game (that they knew were devs at least) and they haven't seen any way to give any feedback.

The setting sounds interesting and the pics look ok (not fantastic certainly), it does sound very much like a "typical" asian-market game. I'm betting there's alot of grind, and if you're not pretty hard-core into the pvp thing it'll probably get boring pretty quickly.

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441

Originally posted by Mischiff
    Ive played lineage II and they have one of the best looking worlds that ive ever seen, so im excited about what the world will look like in 9 dragons, as far as the rest of the game, it intrigues me. Just hoping that character creation is a little more indepth than lineage II was . 
       Sorry, Lineage is one of the best mmorpgs the asians have made, pay 2 play also.  Comparing this 9 dragons game to the best would be setting it up for failure. It will fail on its own merits of being a generic f2p grinder :)

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• tihoatihoa Member UncommonPosts: 30
    i have to say, this game is much different from Hero or Silkroad based on my experience with the vietnamese version. Hero just restricts you to the skillbooks that you can buy for the character and each class can only use 3 weapons. In Silkroad, all you do is kill for skill points to learn skills.

In 9Dragons, you have to donate items to your clan to get points to learn skills with. You have to reach a certain level first though. Eventually all characters become part of a clan and become a specific class in the clan. Basically all clans have 4 classes with the 2 fighting types (1 for each weapon), 1 mage/support type, and 1 mixed type.

Unlike Hero or Silkroad, you have to use your skills to level them up (like RFOnline). Higher level skills are harder to train but if you get the skills to a certain level, you might be able to learn an advanced form of that skill. Skill points don't exist in this game, but you do get weapon mastery points when you level up. When you level up skills, some skills also get different animations so you arent always looking at the same thing.

A good thing about this game is that other than your weapon, most of your equipment dont matter. A backpack is just there for more inventory space. Clothes are just for looks or for pockets (slots). And the hat is just there for dodge. Most of your character's strength depends on the weapon, skills, and weapon mastery.

The biggest problem I have with this game is the reused enemy models. From level 1 to 30, all I have seen so far are foxes, snakes, bandits, thugs, zombies, and a few samurai like enemies. After a while, the enemy models start getting cycled but maybe with slightly different color only. At higher levels there might be more variation in enemies though.

• flip-topflip-top Member Posts: 1

Even the clothes you wear will make a difference. Some of them have hidden pockets into which you can place magical artifacts that enhance your stats.

• doodler222doodler222 Member UncommonPosts: 112

• EndemondiaEndemondia Member Posts: 231
    I liked the article but already do not like this game. It is classed based, point and click combat, and simply another asian grind fest with a historical setting. Guildwars does it better so will stick with that until some one makes a decent historical mmorpg...a samaurai one would be good, skills based, with dojo system, and free to roam Japan...