Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

COx or WoW?

I was an avid EQ player back in the day, then I played COH/V for quite some time but had to quit due to budget issues a few months back. I recently saw the South Park WoW episode and even though it satirezed the game, it actually peaked my interest. The game is now $20 and I want to get back on the MMO wagon, but then I thought about it. Why waste $50 buying WoW and a game card (don't have a credit card so I HAVE to buy a gamecard) when I can just spend $30 for anouth COx gamecard and get back to my lvl 30 char. So the question becomes... does WoW actually live up to the hype or should I proudly stay behind COH/V? I can't afford to play both.

Comments

• VampiresVampires Member Posts: 75
    Up to you, but i find that COx is the game for me. i would say stick to COx, but thats because i play it alot. you decide, if COx isn't doing it for you then leave, otherwise stay.image

• GraugGraug Member Posts: 25
    All i can say is most of my in-game friends are ex-WoW players.

The Lone Brute

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Ex-WoW player here myself. 

Since I do enjoy comic books, and the movies based off them, this game has been quite fun for me for some time.  WoW came and went, EQ2 came and went,  DAoC came and went, yet CoX remains constant on my PC.

Dern fun game it is! image

• BoldgrimBoldgrim Member UncommonPosts: 69

I have played WoW for a ridiculous amount of time and I finally decided to stop playing about 2 months ago.  Maybe I will go back when the expansion pack comes out.  Anyways, I had played CoH when it came out, but my hardware at the time made the game crash every 20 minutes or so.  I gave it another try with my new computer and I'm so glad I gave it another spin.  CoX is, for me at this point, the best MMORPG out there.  After so many arguments over loot in WoW it's so nice to come to a place where there is no loot (well, sort of, not in the sence of WoW I mean).

Also, the graphics in this game are so good, when you turn on everything and have a PhysX accelerator to boot, it's nothing short of amazing.  There's nothing like killing a mob on trop of a staircase and see it tumble in a realistic fashion down the stairs ... priceless.

To answer your question, stay in CoX, I think you will not regret it! image

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

CoX is sadly plummeting into a garbage disposal pvp-wise (but PvE its okay- not a real world/MMO like EQ/WoW). It can be fun to PvE to bout 30 though. After 30 it turns into a long, repititive grind. What makes it way worse than the average MMO in late game is that the missions are all instanced. This means yoiu gonna be looking at the same, bland textures over and over. The leveling is really slow and they limit your power choices. All the new MMOs coming out will give you all of your powers.

Right now I'm messing around with Rappelz til Neverwinter Nights 2, Fury, Spellborn, and Conan releases. Rappelz is free 2 play. I'd highly recommend Rappelz or Guild Wars (good pvp) til a next gen MMO releases. Rappelz is a grind from what I can tell so far but at least they give rested bonus so you get rewarded greatly for not playing and quest rewards is pretty huge so far

CoX has a lot of potential but unfortunately the really messed up Villains. So pvp wise its dying. But PVE can still be fun in City of Heroes. So, if you go CoX go CoH. they are more powerful and lot less laggy than CoV

I might resubscribe when they release epic archetypes just to see what they did but I'm 100% positive they gonna do something retarded like they did with Dominators

Btw, I have a level 50 brute, 41 stalker, 34 scrapper, and some other 30ish toons. Have fun with CoH if you try it. I gave CoV bout an 8.0 in my review cause the role playing is top notch.

• tutetute Member UncommonPosts: 299

I"m mainly waiting for Gods & Heroes(and I might try Tabula Rasa).

Sorry CoX, you just need to update faster because your content isn't that deep and you need to keep that promise on a quicker schedule, not stringing your customers along.  I would certainly like to find out what Cricket's promise of quicker releases means in terms of months and what Issue they plan on starting that new timeframe.

Hmm, maybe DDO in the meantime, since its only $15 for the box.  For the price of a month's subscription to any other MMO, I can try a whole new game that just released its third update in 9 months. 

• UglekUglek Member Posts: 22
    I have the opposite experience then the poster a few post above.  I have found CoV to be a much smoother game pve wise then CoH was.  The missions are written better and while the grind is still there it is not as noticeable.  As to pvp.....may give it a shot latter but kind of over pvp in a mainly pve game after WoW.

CoX needs to update faster?  I don't really understand that statement.  So far 7 major content patches, each having a noticeable and significant change to the game.  It's unlike WoW or EQ, where if you didn't notice the files downloading you may not even notice there were any changes.  The next patch, Issue 8, is going to rework an entire zone on Heroes side, adding new missions and contacts for it.  Plus they adding a police band similar to the newspaper missions of Villains, so now Heroes can get some mission variety of their choice.   Of course in between the Issues have been numerous minipatches that address bugs and gameplay.

I can understand why since CoV came out the Issues have been fewer, after all CoV itself added a huge amount of content so extra Issues weren't needed.  Five content patches between release and CoV, only two since.  Again, that is understandable with CoV itself.

They have already mentioned tidbits from the next 3 patches as well, so they are already in the works.  If they follow schedule, Issue 8 is already on test server and allowing prepatching so it will be out soon.  Looks like at least Issues 9 & 10 for 2007 possibly even 11 at the end of the year.  Assuming I8 comes out this year CoX is averaging a major content patch every 3.5 months, which is pretty "fast" if you ask me.  image

I beta tested DDO, I can say the reason they spamming out patches is due to the fact the game has been a huge disappointment to many.  Did not live up to the hype.  At release soloing was virtually impossible once you finished the "newbie" quests.  They had to address that as many people were getting upset having to stand around doing nothing (much like EQ1).  The patches with DDO are pretty much addressing issues that should of been complete at release.

So in your assessment of DDO versus CoX, its not that they can't release them quicker but because they don't need too.  DDO supposedly sucks so it NEEDS to release content quicker and is ABLE to do so yet CoX is a better game so it does NOT NEED a quicker release schedule.  That makes it sound even worse.

Issue 6 to 7 was about 7-8 months.  Issue 7 came out the first week of June IIRC(so for I8 from Live release to Live release we are looking at 5 months and that's not counting the month of June even though it was release in the first week) so I don't see where you are getting 3.5 months average.  Even counting release to Test, which I don't and that shouldn't be counted, your average is still off a bit.  Are you averaging all releases and are you including Test?  And why was Cricket promising quicker releases and why have the Devs apologized for delays of Issue 7(Ageia problems) and Issue 8(Posi originally stated a September release).  Also, just because you average 3.5 months somehow, that makes the 7 months for Issue 7 and the 5 months for Issue 8 okay?

Some people say capes should have been in release, some said PvP should have been there from the beginning, Task Forces didn't work at all at release, etc.  DDO is an MMO and how I read the pre-release was teaming was very important, yes I saw people asking about solo content but I didn't really read anything that the devs thought it was a huge importance.   I only saw that DDO discovered players didn't not follow their way of thinking and had to change the game to meet a demand they didn't think would be so large.  I don't see how DDO is any worse than CoX in lack of certain content at release.  They took a gamble at a gameplay they thought would catch on but were wrong.  If you can quote some dev that thought solo content was to be there at release, then I am wrong.  I didn't read that solo was that important for release and they were trying for something different, so if you have some quote or post by a dev to share(since you were in beta) that says differently, I would like to know about it because how DDO is trying to stay afloat is something interesting to watch.

Also, just because you don't understand why a person feels a certain way doesn't make their feelings about it invalid.  No matter how you average it, I have found the last two updates(still waiting for I8 on Live) too long between releases.  If you find the content enough and the releases plentiful then that is great for Cryptic and NCSoft but why would you assume I should feel the same way as you?  When you assume I should magically think that 7 months between issues is really only 3.5, then its no wonder you do not understand my impatience with their release schedule.  The last two issue updates are a far cry from their original statement of 3-4 Issues a year.  If they think they are releasing quicker or quick enough and I should forget their original 'hope'(or however they worded it back then) then that is there perogative but from all the info I've digested over the years from Cryptic/NCSoft, I feel they have fallen short on their 'soft' promises.  If its enough for you, fine, but for me they will need to do more to keep me subscribed.  Please clarify your position because you are coming off as one of those people that think I should enjoy the game as much as they do and anything less is a massive affront to players, Cryptic, NCSoft and the devs.  If you feel my posts are degrading your experience by indirectly affecting the player population or creating difficulties for Cryptic/NCSoft then there is not much I can do about it because that is my feeling and criticisms of the game as a whole.

(*and after that tirade I've already re-subscribed after only a 1 week break because I got bored and nothing else interests me at the moment, not even Oblivion where I haven't even gone past the 2nd quest)

I got the 3.5 month average by dividing the number of months game has been out (29) by the number of patches (8 since I counted Issue 8).  That came out to an approximate average of 3.5 months.  I also said that, including I8 in this, that five of the eight patches came pre-CoV.  Only two since CoV came out, soon to be three, but then CoV itself added a lot of content as I pointed out.

Now DDO doesn't "suck" per se, but it didn't live up to the hype of an online version of D&D.  I think the Neverwinter games did a better job of that.  The soloing patch was due to the fact it got increasingly difficult to solo as you leveled up, similar to EQ1 that  you were essentially required to group to be able to do anything at higher levels.  When I was testing the game I was not alone in my feedback that "this game is not ready for release", but the company chose to release then patch rather than fix then release.  I cannot quote the old beta forums as when game went live I did not buy it, so I uninstalled everything pertaining to the game and I don't think I could access the beta forum anymore.  Most of the time the devs said they would "look into it" or soloing was something "they would keep in mind" but they wanted to "encourage a social team atmosphere" for DDO. 

I also think had DDO been set in a more familiar setting such as Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance or Grayhawk, that it would be doing much better than it is.  Eberron is a rather obscure setting since it is only what two years old?

I never said anyone's opinion was invalid.  I was trying to point out that the reason there haven't been as many patches now as before was due to CoV, it added content itself.  When it was stated that they weren't coming out fast enough I mentioned the average to show that they actually coming out quicker than you think, just doesn't seem like it recently.  I do not take affront to anyone who disagrees with me, you just seemed to be going off on NC Soft about slow patches and I was trying to show they are actually coming out quicker than it seems.  Plus they said Issues 9, 10 and possibly 11 coming out in 2007.   They are in the works already, so 2007 would be a realistic goal for all three.

Every company promises one thing and only sometimes follows through.  In EQ2 the devs stated, rather firmly, that since EQ1 was a cooperative game the sequel would follow suit so they had no plans for pvp.   Come first expansion what do they proudly announce?  Yep, PvP matches featured prominant in the expansion.  Blizzard said pre-release that they didn't have a steep leveling curve so that people could get to 60 for the "meaningful PvP" and begin working on their Hero Class.  Well expansion coming out, about a dozen major patches and Hero Classes not mentioned at all.  Took months for a pvp system to get into place after game went live.  So when a company promises one thing, I take it as more "we'd like to do this and hope we can" rather than cast in stone gospel truth.  image

As the typed text is unable to convey tone, it is possible that yours or my posts have been misinterpreted.  You did seem to be bashing CoX and I tried to respond to your concerns. 

• HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463

The best parts of WoW in my opinion are the quests and PVP.  If you enjoy either one or both then WoW is for you.  As for role playing either one works to be honest.  CoX provides plenty of role playing oppurtunties as does WoW.  But for PVE play I prefer CoX over WoW.  For one travel in Cox is far more enjoyable than WoW and it does not cost all that much either.  WoW has CoX beat when it comes to the variety of the missions available but I find teaming and finding a team far more easier in CoX than WoW.  A lot of people feel that CoX does not have an end game but I feel that WoW does not have an endgame either to a degree.  Raiding in WoW is not something to look foward to for most players.  Most players in WoW do what players in CoX do and that is roll new alts.  What does contribute to the end game for WoW though is PVP.  This is where if CoX improved on and focused a bit more then it would be in better shape.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    COx NEEDS to get back to releasing new issues every 3 months.  you've got a lot of other games out there that do it.  pre-cov, they were saying it'd be powersets/zones for BOTH heroes and villains each issue.   now it's just heroes or villains per issue and the issues take over SIX months.  this latest issue, i8, doesn't even have any powersets, it's a rework of an existing zone, and the rest of the content is giving heroes what villains got in i7... um, why didn't they just do it for heroes and villains in i7?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Originally posted by DrowNoble

I got the 3.5 month average by dividing the number of months game has been out (29) by the number of patches (8 since I counted Issue 8).  That came out to an approximate average of 3.5 months.  I also said that, including I8 in this, that five of the eight patches came pre-CoV.  Only two since CoV came out, soon to be three, but then CoV itself added a lot of content as I pointed out.

Now you can tell that to people who waited 7 months for Issue 7 and after reading the boards Issue 8 may not hit until after Thanksgiving putting it 7 months again(we are already at 6 months now as I7 was release June 7th, 2006).  That average is getting more skewed every release.  And I8 was 'supposed' to be less technically demanding than other issues(i.e. Ageia, slightly new graphics) and they even pulled out the Invention system from it.  CoV only added content for those that play/own it.  No matter how you skew it, 3.5 months does not equal a 7 month interval between new content releases.

*btw I did my own calculation of Live release to Live release and came up with a 4 month average so I see where you were getting yours but I'm not about to believe I'm getting content in a timely manner because of an average.  The hard facts now show approx 7 months between the last two releases.

It seems to be tute you're being a bit nit-picky or maybe I wasn't clear before? *shrugs*

The 3.5 average is just that, an average time between the patches.  I said twice before that since CoV released the patches have slowed down.  That is understandable considering CoV itself added a lot of content so they didn't need another patch til Issue 7.  I am well aware that it has been 5 months since Issue 7 came out and only two patches since CoV came out.  I posted twice about that, so there is the "hard facts" that you wanted.  I never tried to skew anything as I stated the average time and actual time previously.

Other games typically slow down content patches after an expansion release, usually bug fixes and tweaks is all for a while so this isn't something unique to CoX.

I know some may not have bought CoV, but NC Soft has lowered the price of it significantly probably to help entice those that didn't buy it right at release.  image

Actually we are now closing in on 7 months.  I7 was released June 7, 2006 so we are now basically looking at two updates in 14 months.    Whether the game needs another patch or not is up to the individual and their tastes, now isn't it?  Your 'hard facts' do me no good when 3.5 months rolls around after the last update and I end up waiting another 3.5 months paying for the same content.  I don't think it would be fair to present that average to a new player considering their recent release schedule.

And yes, CoV is very cheap.  I bought the collector's edition for $19.99 with free shipping from Circuity City.  The collector's edition not the regular.  That was an awesome deal.

• AmarsirAmarsir Member UncommonPosts: 703

By the time it's released, i8 will have been on test for at least 6 weeks. That alone pretty crazy, considering the main feature (Faultline) has been pretty much untouched and the secondary features (Safeguards) only given minor tweaks. The holdup can be pretty much traced to Vet rewards, which weren't even ready yet at i8 -> test, and which I'm guessing are largely responsible for the subsequent "server stability" patches. Some of that is likely NCSoft's (as opposed to Cryptic's) fault but regardless it's getting hard to justify 2 slow releases in a row.

They definitely need to hustle back on track.

In hindsight, I'm wondering if they should have released i8 without Vet rewards and made them a subsequent 8.1 patch. OTOH that might have merely fed the "what a tiny release!" complaints that seem to pop up here and there.

Looking forward, we know Inventions were originally hoped for i8 which means they shouldn't be too far behind. Also we've been inside the Universities and know they're completed, and that the invention salvage stations are set up (though needing extra text). The inventions look to be mainly (only?) enhancements, which isn't any kind of new technology. The only missing piece is how the special salvage is obtained, and my bet would be several mission/TF/AV/Monster creations. Which should be their main workload right now.

Which is tough, because I'd want it done right (custom maps, creative enemies). As opposed to being difficult but boring by just slapping down some Arachnos and Longbow in a warehouse, then making a room with 12 AVs of level 57.

I've decided I'm going to play for one month after i8 is released, then cancel my account until i9 is at least on test. That way at least I'm not paying them for making me wait.

Currently playing:
    DC Universe
    Planetside 2
    Magic Online
    Simunomics, the Massive Multiplayer Economic Simulation Game. Play for free.

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

Originally posted by DrowNoble

CoX needs to update faster?  I don't really understand that statement.  So far 7 major content patches, each having a noticeable and significant change to the game.  It's unlike WoW or EQ, where if you didn't notice the files downloading you may not even notice there were any changes.  The next patch, Issue 8, is going to rework an entire zone on Heroes side, adding new missions and contacts for it.  Plus they adding a police band similar to the newspaper missions of Villains, so now Heroes can get some mission variety of their choice.   Of course in between the Issues have been numerous minipatches that address bugs and gameplay.

WoW was a lot more complete then CoX when it first released. It included pvp at day 1. Sure, maybe druids blew and warriors sucked (cause Blizz nerfed them in beta right before release) but these things were quickly addressed. Then, they added Battelgrounds around E3 2005 and the honor system. That was huge. Then they added the new end game raiding dungeons + expanded silthus. . They even revamped talent trees for ALL classes while CoX has had broken powers like Flurry and Jump Kick for years (not to mention gimped sets like Dark/Dark and Claws). Seriously the CoX Devs have gone mad it makes no sense to only make Ice/Fire primary the only viable choice for min/max Corrupters. What would it hurt them to buff the dmg numbers? That would've kept me playing if I would've had more choices to pick from.

[edit] I see I've done it again. I dont mean to keep coming off so harsh on CoX. I would consider resubscribing if they fixed a few issues. Wish a different dev team or fans could take it over somehow lol

• mnichols84mnichols84 Member Posts: 5
    They're 2 totally different games imho.