Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: Event Interviews with McQuaid & Butler

Comments

• damkardamkar Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by ShiloFields
    I am not judging the game. I simply choose to not do business with SOE, at all.  That's a choice I have made based on SOE coduct.  SOE's conduct with regard to the NGE was at best unethical.  I don't want to do business with a company like that.  Unfortunately that decision has consequences and not playing Vanguard is one of them.
    I am not following you and many other objector's. I understand not wanting to pay to support SWG due to changes made to its game design. I would take my marbels and go home too. What I don't get is why you are saying no business with anyone affiliated with SOE and stopping there? SOE is a owned by Sony itself.

http://www.sony.com/index.php

Click on Online Games and you will see all SOE games including Vanguard listed there. A division of a company is still part of that company. Decisions are made from the top and roll down hill. You will not pay Sony money via its online division, but would you still pay it money from its movie division (Sony Pictures) or by purchasing one of its other merchandise like a Sony TV , Walkman, etc? I find it hard to imagine that all the people who are angry at SWG will really boycott all Sony products. If you want to hold a company responsible for unethical practice, hold the entire company responsible. For example, I boycott nestle products for what one of their divisions(Nestle Milk) are doing to breast-feeding women in third world countries. When I boycott Nestle products, I don't just boycott one division (milk making) but ALL their dvisions (including their water producing one). Next time you are in the grocery store look at labels and see how MANY of the damn brands there are owned by Nestle. If you are not prepared to boycott ALL Sony products then why are you not playing Vanguard?

• defafnyrdefafnyr Member Posts: 83
    Diplomacy...a new word for faction?  I'm not sure expanding on an old concept is really a new thing.
  • SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    This was a vary enlightning article. It is good to see how Sigil and SOE will work things out. Too bad we didnt have clips of what was shown. Now that would have been interesting.
  • XyangXyang Member Posts: 216

Originally posted by dreamer05

First of all. While I understand that people were abused by SOE while playing SWG, if VG looks like a game you would "love" as you say then not playing it simply because SOE is making some money off of it is stupid. If you know you'll like a game, why not play it. I understand not subscribing to a game SOE is making, has made, or has complete control of but this just isn't the case. I am a huge SOE hater and SWG player myself but when they talked about how no other publisher has experience like SOE I knew they were right. Sorry but not playing a game you could love because SOE has something to do with it is just silly.
    Secondly, this is definately going to be a more hardcore mmo. But about the housing thing, if people devote more time, they are going to get more rewards understandably. Why wouldn't they? Why should someone who only plays 10 hours a week get as many rewards as someone who plays 30? While I definately don't have enough time to be playing 30 a week I still understand why hardcore gamers could get more than casual, and its not a big deal.

It's pretty pathetic that we still have to answer those kind of us ignorant comment after 10 years of mmo.

First of all: It is an EXELLENT reason to not be playing ANY MMO that has SOE in the portrait or back ground. I don't buy Nike stuff because they exploit poor children to make their shoes. It's not the shoes that i don't like, it's the companies method behind. So boycoiting $OE for that same reason, even if you like their product is completely justified.

Secondly: There are still idiots in this world to claim that your playtime should "automatically" rewards you more. Well, you're a moron. From the moment you pay your subscribtion fee, you shouldn't get "more" just because you spend more time in front of your screen like a looser. If you haven't understand by now that your off-line time should be used in a MMO to reduce the discrepancy between hardcore and casual gamers, you have missed the train that is leading to the third generation. So go play your dinosaurus MMO and spare us your ignorance.

What deserves to be done, deserves to be "well" done...

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Originally posted by Xyang

Secondly: There are still idiots in this world to claim that your playtime should "automatically" rewards you more. Well, you're a moron. From the moment you pay your subscribtion fee, you shouldn't get "more" just because you spend more time in front of your screen like a looser. If you haven't understand by now that your off-line time should be used in a MMO to reduce the discrepancy between hardcore and casual gamers, you have missed the train that is leading to the third generation. So go play your dinosaurus MMO and spare us your ignorance.

Well, I talk only for myself.  But personnally, I think you are both right and wrong.  See, why would someone play longer?  There must be an incitative, and if someone can't meet the time requirement, saddly it mean they are off that incitative.  This is why they put levels in the first place.  I always think that a level cap ala CoV would be the brilliant move for any MMO, but seem that most games don't do it.

Reducing the discrepancy between hardcore and casual gamers:  Well, that is quite a sentence there.  If you mean "killing hardcore interest", it isn't that bad, but I obviously hope they will find a better way, that take into account the hardcores folks with more time to play or more skill to play (is hardcore used for time or skill...or both?), while they don't shaft casuals.  I always believe a casual should be able to achieve a LOT and be as good as anyone can ever be in the game in precise topics (such as in precise areas, like a zone with a level cap).  However to make the casuals the all-time champion of everything, it isn't that bad, but you will miss a lot of "retency".  How do you get anyone hooked, including a casual, if they don't have to progress more?  Progression must be INTUITIVE, easy to access...a loot system with spells and everything is having quite a hard challenge to be intuitive.  By been intuitive, it is easy to access if you are as strong as possible for your level, or if you need more.

I was always a fan of unlimited levels (which Vanguard will never be) and level cap on every zone (which vanguard would prolly not be).  At the moment you have an artificial limit, you prevent the "hardcore" to progress further.  At the moment the casuals can't rule and be the best in something, you kinda shaft the casuals.

Casuals deserve any game to be built for them, in the sense that they can be the best of a zone, an area, something.  However, it is also my opinion that a game would benefit if there is always more to earn, always more to get...which is why I always love unlimited levels.  For example, everyone could be level 15 and equal in zone A, but in zone ZZZZXGDJFZZZ, someone might be level 5403294304 and use every benefit from each acquire level in that zone...

But that is just an old dream...an old rant...and I am sure most uber raiders will be happy to casually point out the flaws in my logic while exposing their raiding logic to the same flaws without understanding it and thinking that because it is raiding, it is suddenly better...while the casuals, they don't want to raid.

PS: I have about 0,03% of myself that is casual...so even if I try to encompass them, I am obviously kinda alien to casuals...despite all my stances for a non-raiding server!  In doubt favor the casuals...but even the casuals want more progression, to never be done completely...so you must find a way to make sure that nobody is ever fully done, yet they are fully happy...I don't think a plain open system with no level caps and scores of loot that is hard to asset will please the casuals...yes I can be happy in that...but the casuals?  I think they need ways to MASTER something...dunno if Vanguard will provide them a way to master anything...but we will see.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• JonathJCenJonathJCen Member UncommonPosts: 202
       After the anouncement of their co-publishing with SOE, I was originaly very angry for due purpose. Though I realise the worse can happen and the game doesn't get enough following and silig COULD sell out to SOE (though I doubt it), I'm much more pleased and willing to give this game a try after this article.
    Basicly, when it comes to exploring and such, this game sounds like they came from a similar idea as Dark and Light, only improved apon it, not to mention with sounder gameplay.
       I'm very eager to see how things will play out with being able to be attacked in the air, this certainly adds a new level of exitement. Also pleased with their Housing Market idea, which I first witnessed taking place with Asheron's Call, followed by Dark Age of Camelot and Horizons. Instance housing works for some games, but honostly it means so much more to have a seamless housing system (think how the SWG housing works where the inside of the house exists on another server point but there's no need for true zoning since the servers are tied together) with an actual house to call yours and not just a magical door that takes you away to your own placeimage
       I thank you greatly for this article, very well writen, very smart questionsimage
  • CorpocesCorpoces Member UncommonPosts: 20

Sounds to me like you have to camp faction or grind missions/tasks/quests to be able to get a house. Everyone from the start will be doing that to get a good plot for a house. And like it was said, the hardcore players will be doing that while the casual gamer who don't have the time or a some one new to MMOs will eventually get stuck with a plot that no one wanted. Sounds to me like not everyone will have a fare chance at getting the plot that they want. And if I read it right, you will be able to sell from your house like in SWG. If that is the case, the hardcore gamers that got their houses close to big cities will get most of the customers, just like in SWG.

Personally, I think just making enough money to buy a house is fare enough for everyone.

Far SOE goes. If your not gonna  play a game cause SOE is involved then you shouldn't. I mean, how else are you gonna teach them a lesson except by hurting them where it counts...the wallet. That's fine  enough if you're doing it cause you feel strong on the matter but in reality, you wont make a difference.

I hate what SOE did to SWG. But a mistake is just that. I believe they know they screwed up and I don't hold it against them. I quit playing SWG after that though. I'm still gonna play the game and give it a shot even if Satin was VGs partner in this..actualy, I bet Satin got some good ideas:)

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Originally posted by Corpoces

Far SOE goes. If your not gonna  play a game cause SOE is involved then you shouldn't. I mean, how else are you gonna teach them a lesson except by hurting them where it counts...the wallet. That's fine  enough if you're doing it cause you feel strong on the matter but in reality, you wont make a difference.

You don't think all the people who quit playing SWG made a difference?image

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

1.) I was also under the impression that EQ2s housing would be out in the open as well, it showed a picture and or video feed that their crafting materials was out in the open (forge, etc) but yet as it turns out, it ended up being an instanced zone; is that what this is gonna be?

Housing is like SWG, you build houses in the world for all to see. No instances. Likewise with crafting, anvils etc are outside and can be used be everyone, again no instances.

2.) Travel-I heard that there was gonna be vehicles, unless the word "vehicles" meant like ships??

There will be ships (big ships and small boats), flying mounts, horses and pack mules.

"Diplomacy seems like another word for Faction Grind"

Not really, its more like a card game where you can influence NPC's to give better rewards, reduce the cost of items, allow your guild to build houses near their town etc. You dont have to grind it, you have to learn the skill and then you can use your skill (or card deck) to influence anyone from any faction. As far as I know new cards can be found on mobs or as quest rewards which will lead to you being better at it, as will unique Diplomacy only clothing.

"The game is currently nearly 20gb!"

Its uncompressed, unpacked etc for beta to allow them to tweak little areas without forcing people to redownload the entire pak files. By the time commercial release comes about I would expect it to be packed like any other game.

"And the graphics dont look as hot as I thought, especially for that size!"

Graphics have not been fully turned on yet for beta, alot of the effects and particles are missing as are some of the landscape textures. Give them time to switch these on and it should look better. Hopefully.

*all this info was found on the offical public vanguard forums.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• bverjibverji Member UncommonPosts: 722

The first thing that he wanted to say was that he has 11 Star Wars Galaxies accounts, and that he was the fourth Jedi on the planet Earth, first on his server, so he knows the perspective of people who are up in arms about the New Game Experience.

That's about the worse thing he could of said. Just makes me think he accepted all the crap SOE did before NEG. Sounds like another good game that instead of growing will be nerphed to crap within the first year.

• RegusRegus Member Posts: 489

I am kinda looking forward to this game as i am to almost all new games that have things i haven't seen before. I don't care who is maintaining the game as long as i like it.

sounds good to me and people that play more should get more just like ibn real life if you work more you should get payed more if you have the same job that is..

"One day all will die, surely you but never I." Wheel of Time

• HersaintHersaint Member UncommonPosts: 366

"Market will bear"

Casual gamers keep walking...nothing to see here.

I wonder if 4 hours a week, will "earn" you a flying mount, with your hard earned cash going into $OE's pockets?

Sorry I'm not buying the same old hype.

Hope Im wrong though.

• Ammon777Ammon777 Member Posts: 308

He has 11 Star Wars Galaxies accounts? What a LOSER.

• JadarJadar Member Posts: 300

McQuaid on housing: "We're not content to just redo all the 'stuff that sucked' from Everquest, no no, we're importing 'stuff that sucked' from other games."

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118

Originally posted by RamonSterns

Originally posted by mightyfelix

Dang, I'm thinking to try this game but I also had bad exp. with SOE' (costumer service) when i was playing eq 1&2. For the 8 months I was playing FFXI online i never had a problem with ENIX.Anyway back to the subject,I think what Sigil is trying to do is to bring the nostalgia from EQ to Vanguard but with SOE as partnership idk about that.Still i know a lot of ppl going to give it a try and maybe so do I.

If you had read the whole thing you would know that SOE will only publish and provide the servers.  Customer service will be dealt by Sigil, and only Sigil can change the game.

At least till they sell the game to SOE after a year, so they can go on with making another game.....

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• BirksBirks Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by MrBoots
    This game is going to be awful. According to this thread the game client is already over 20gb in size. A post later in the thread says the devs expect the client to be closer to 30gb at release. I have seen 1gb korean games that have better graphics than this game. It looks like this game will turn out to be a pile of bloatware crap. Well unless they have a map the actual size of the earth or something.

If your hardware suck the game will suck. Unless you have the hardware to back that opinion, its just plain bull.

Its just like saying 200mph sucks, thou your car only does 140mph....

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289

Originally posted by Birks
    Originally posted by MrBoots
    This game is going to be awful. According to this thread the game client is already over 20gb in size. A post later in the thread says the devs expect the client to be closer to 30gb at release. I have seen 1gb korean games that have better graphics than this game. It looks like this game will turn out to be a pile of bloatware crap. Well unless they have a map the actual size of the earth or something.

If your hardware suck the game will suck. Unless you have the hardware to back that opinion, its just plain bull.

Its just like saying 200mph sucks, thou your car only does 140mph....

Sorry I didnt realize my GeForce 7900gtx, Athlon 64 x2 4800, 3gb memory, and 4x 150gb Raptors sucked so much that my opinion doesn't count. My point was that the graphics shown so far don't justify the huge size of the client. The graphics look like a low end game from 4 years ago to me.

• HaplosHaplos Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Any loss of bussiness will make a difference, but I think
    what this poster is saying is that if it's a good game most of the
    community will play it.  If it's not they won't. While this is the
    only consideration for those that have no issues with soe, it's also
    one of the considerations with those that do.  I see some here
    saying even if it's great they won't play, but most will.  I can
    understand them maybe waiting to see how the game launches, but "never"
    is a long time, particularly if the game becomes a huge hit.

Originally posted by Samuraisword

Originally posted by Corpoces

Far
    SOE goes. If your not gonna  play a game cause SOE is involved
    then you shouldn't. I mean, how else are you gonna teach them a lesson
    except by hurting them where it counts...the wallet. That's fine 
    enough if you're doing it cause you feel strong on the matter but in
    reality, you wont make a difference.

You don't think all the people who quit playing SWG made a difference?image

• ValaraukValarauk Member Posts: 303
    SOE is the kiss of death.  They destroy everything they touch and treat their customers like shit.  Vanguard could have been a great game, now we'll never know. 

WARNING: Spelling and grammatical errors intentionally left in document to test for Anal Retentive Trolls.

"The key to wasting time is distraction. Without distractions it's too obvious to your brain that you're not doing anything with it, and you start to feel uncomfortable." - Paul Graham http://paulgraham.com/hs.html

• NnyanNnyan Member UncommonPosts: 42

Originally posted by dreamer05

First of all. While I understand that people were abused by SOE while playing SWG, if VG looks like a game you would "love" as you say then not playing it simply because SOE is making some money off of it is stupid. If you know you'll like a game, why not play it. I understand not subscribing to a game SOE is making, has made, or has complete control of but this just isn't the case. I am a huge SOE hater and SWG player myself but when they talked about how no other publisher has experience like SOE I knew they were right. Sorry but not playing a game you could love because SOE has something to do with it is just silly.
    Secondly, this is definately going to be a more hardcore mmo. But about the housing thing, if people devote more time, they are going to get more rewards understandably. Why wouldn't they? Why should someone who only plays 10 hours a week get as many rewards as someone who plays 30? While I definately don't have enough time to be playing 30 a week I still understand why hardcore gamers could get more than casual, and its not a big deal.

Sorry I don't see that as stupid.  Stupid was all those EQ players who saw the game ruined by SOE, saw what became of EQ2 and THEN went on to try SWG just b/c they thought they would love it.  I value my time and efforts and would not waste a single moment on anything that was touched IN ANY WAY by SOE.  I have values and honor and I abide by them even if it means not playing a GAME.  It may be a great game to start but when they sell it to SOE and it gets ruined what then?

There are TOO many games coming out in the next year or so for me to get all worked up about Vanguard.  Some people are already saying how awesome this game is months before release!  Sounds a lot like those fools over in the DnL forums who were spouting how awesome THAT game was going to be.  Can you be of FANatic over a game you haven't actually seen any of the real mechanics?  Sheesh.

While I was hopeful over vanguard I don't want another addiction.  This seems dedicated to the hardcore 20+ hours a week players and thats not me.  I gave up EQ b/c it took forever between getting anywhere and getting anything going, god forgive if you were in a PuG!  If you only have an hour or two to play not many people want to spend a significant portion of that just getting to interesting content.  I think there are other ways to make a game challenging then using boring tedium and time sinks.

• KylrathinKylrathin Member Posts: 426
    Why is it so hard for people to understand?  If you do business with SOE, you WILL lose a segment of the market you would have otherwise had.  A very loyal market segment, I might add.  I was loyal to SWG for almost 3 years, even to the point of thinking they may actually fix the mess they made.  Silly me.  SOE now pays the price any way I can make them pay it.  They will not make another dime from me, regardless of who controls the game - if SOE is involved in any way at all, ever, it's off-limits to me.

There's a sucker born every minute. - P.T. Barnum

• kvariumkvarium Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I don't think I'll play because SOE is involved, altho the game does look very interesting. 

It would be like getting punched in the face by someone using his right fist and then shaking his left hand because it's not that hand's fault.

No way.
    K.

• WiladormBushWiladormBush Member Posts: 5
    Great article. The questions I had were answered by this article. Thanks for keep MMO news up to date.
  • gmmonkeygmmonkey Member Posts: 194

Originally posted by Valarauk
    SOE is the
    kiss of death.  They destroy everything they touch and treat their
    customers like shit.  Vanguard could have been a great game, now we'll never know. 

Talk about overdramatic...How will we never know? I don't remember
    reading in the article about vanguard being cancelled. Get a grip.

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Good article, I am looking forward to Vanguard more than ever. Sorry to all the SWG refugees who understandably will not play this game due to $OE's involvement.