Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Editorial: What's Next for EA Mythic?

13»

Comments

• GrömGröm Member Posts: 303
    Ok sure we have to talk about what went wrong.. as costumers.. but please remember the topic of this forum - and I quote: "What's Next for EA Mythic?"

And what you guys said is related but the main focus is this, what's next?

This is a way also to give oportunity from players to express themselves (of course -dumb-) so that devprod. can have also some ideas, maybe I'm being to harsh.. but.. welll what's your thoughts?
  • EndemondiaEndemondia Member Posts: 231
    I would like to see something very new come out but EA are not high risk takers so the chances of them producing a western style game online or something like X-Com (what a great game ripe for 3D mmorg) are remote. Of the ones from the article I have to agree the Ultima Online looks the most attractive option.
  • MamoxMamox Member Posts: 9

Less people are likely leaving DAoC for the sole reason that the graphics and technology are outdated. The same cannot likely be said for Ultima Online.

WHAT?!? outdated graphics? are they TRYING to turn ppl off DAOC? the graphics in DAOC imo are the best out there for mmorpgs...if not the best they are damn close, they are really good if u just look at them and not make things up...that made me mad its pure BS

• jpwhitfojpwhitfo Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Mamox

Less people are likely leaving DAoC for the sole reason that the graphics and technology are outdated. The same cannot likely be said for Ultima Online.

WHAT?!? outdated graphics? are they TRYING to turn ppl off DAOC? the graphics in DAOC imo are the best out there for mmorpgs...if not the best they are damn close, they are really good if u just look at them and not make things up...that made me mad its pure BS

Er... they were commenting on UO's outdated graphics and technology.  Granted DAoC is outdated as well, but has had recent facelifts that have made it look pretty good.

My vote for a setting:  the Mageworlds books by Debra Doyle & Jamed Macdonald.  Sci-fi, many different worlds, very different options for classes.  Excellent potential for warring factions, as well as internal espionage.  Kind of a Star Wars rip-off, but well done.

• kaiz611kaiz611 Member Posts: 15
    Well I would be interested in a game based on the Dune universe. Be it Butlerian Jihad area(probably easier) or Dune book time.  Also the Dune seven/God Emperor areas could work to.

Also I would love to see one based on the Bronze Canticles series by Tracy and Laura Hickman(sp?).

Also why wasn't Warhammer mentioned? Isn't Mythic developing it? IMO this could be the WoW, not killer, but biggest competition. Also back the Bronze Canticles I think it could work extremely well for a MMORPG. Hell if I had the know how and resources I'd try it myself:))

That last part was a joke mind you.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Originally posted by Mamox
    Less people are likely leaving DAoC for the sole reason that the graphics and technology are outdated. The same cannot likely be said for Ultima Online.   WHAT?!? outdated graphics? are they TRYING to turn ppl off DAOC? the graphics in DAOC imo are the best out there for mmorpgs...if not the best they are damn close, they are really good if u just look at them and not make things up...that made me mad its pure BS
    You misunderstood the comment. I was talking about UO. DAoC's graphics are good considering it's age. Obviously, some of the latest games are still going to be prettier, but I don't think anyone will quit DAoC for graphical reasons anytime soon. On the other hand, many people (myself included) quit playing UO because they no longer wanted to play an iso-2Dish game. That was what I was trying to illustrate.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• kaiz611kaiz611 Member Posts: 15
    Most people ( myself included ) who have left DAoC are mainly just because of realm and class imbalance issues.  As well as the dreaded TOA xp from 3 years or so ago.

• GrömGröm Member Posts: 303

Sorry to say this but shouldn't we keep on following the main subject of this forum?

• MiexonMiexon Vendetta Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 181
    I would really love to see Earth and Beyond return. With a few tweaks i think the game could accomodate a lot more people but EA was just unwilling to try to make EnB as good as it could be. I would really like to see an article about Earth and Beyond and the possibility of its return whether in game tap or being developed again. Maybe it could be an article about what happens to mmos when they are shutdown, enb would be a perfect example of a game's community thats thriving after death.

Member of the Phoenix Alliance Guild
    in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Earth and Beyond I tried along with 14 of my clan members when it came out, I don't get all big deals about it, we didn't find it fun at all.. while I am not a fan of " Time paid = skills gained" Eve is a way better title in my opinion. If EA Mythic was truly to do another title, I wouldn't doubt you would see a space title. It seems from the numbers and general consensus that people are leaning towards the space genre.. Looks like star trek online might take a good number of people when it comes out, just because it's a semi space theme title. Don't know, but all these fantasy morpg's are just getting old.

Personally, give me a Mechwarrior Online game were I can upgrade as I go. Then my clan and I can do huge drops onto worlds and fight other clans for world domination would truly be a blast. While some will say "thats planetside", planetside is no were close to the Mechwarrior Universe, but the game style is some what of the idea, but mixing more rpg into the fps. And finally no, Huxley isn't even close so don't throw that title in there :)

Just my 2cents.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• MiexonMiexon Vendetta Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 181

i think the reason most big gamer clans didnt like Earth and Beyond is because it only had a small amount of PVP and it was mainly PVE and working together. I liked how it was mainly PVE but i think if they added a few systems where pvp was allowed it could lead to a much better and more liked game. Each sector had the ability to be pvp oriented and with just one little change pvp could be allowed. I think that this game could be a relatively cheap way to reintroduce itself. There were 3 professions that were created but had not been released yet either. With more pvp and new professions along with more storyline missions and such i think the game would be a huge sucess. (Also if they put the entire thing on one large server or maybe 2 it would help instead of 4)

Member of the Phoenix Alliance Guild
    in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

• parmenionparmenion Member Posts: 260

Originally posted by itzit Though I am sure some people don't like them, I am a big fan of the Wheel of Time books, And I think it would be a good setting for an Rpg. If done right it could be a massive world for an MMO. It has a deep story to it already and a pretty big fan base.

Well the NWN fan-created and hosted modules that feature Wheel of Time are some of the most enduring, they do have a few problems fitting the setting to gameplay that would probably translate to MMO design, for example if you allow people to play channelers especially sedai and ashamen, that requires a level of responsibility that many won't display, further how do you incorporate characters that are supposed to be far more poweful with characters who aren't, it's not really fun for either side to have cannons and fodder, and noboby particularly wants to have to respect, be wary of, fear, and/or hate automatically certain people purely on the basis of what class they play. Try getting people to respect/fear/loathe a necromancer class in a more standard MMO, they'll say take your ego-trip off to a single player game where maybe the computer will stroke you, and rightly so.

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650
    EnB was a good MMO and the storyline was amazing but the lack of content and PVP was killing it at the same time. EVE is superior in terms of how the game is flexible for a player. Solid MMOs are the ones that provide tools for the community to evolve. Guild Halls, Player cities, flexible characters and such are always a good direction for any MMO out there.

Something interesting that EA should actually look into is... the Command and Conquer Franchise. I'm sure they know about the 1998 MMO known as Mankind.. www.mankind.net

CnC could actually explore that path.

• XandorXandor Member UncommonPosts: 49

Originally posted by Phorlaug

Earth and Beyond was not a failure for EA, EA failed Earth and Beyond !
    Advertisement, support for the customers and the proper hardware to run a MMORPG is what went wrong with Earth and Beyond.  If EA advertised as much as it does for MADDEN games for Earth and Beyond the game would jump out of the gate running. And lets face it not everyone likes sports game, Driving games, Space games or Wacking rats with Maces (World of Warcraft etc...)
    I do know this I have played Vendetta, SWG, Space Cowboy, EVE and World of Warcraft there are thousands of players that could go into the millions that want to play Earth and Beyond again and there are probably another few thousand that want to see what the Hype is about ?
    E&B not returning is the last thing that anyone that has been actively trying to convince EA to bring it back wants to hear. I'm sorry your Editorial is off base concerning Earth and Beyond. Their servers just could not handle the increasing player base the complaints got more and more numerious, the lag and the stuck players got worse, they saw no point in advertising for a game they could not manage Pure and simple.

With the big announcement of all the EA titles that EA will no longer support, its obvious that EA is unwilling to commint to any game that has a long term commitment attached to it.

"Make it, release it, milk it, then kick it" seems to be the phylosophy behing the EA corperate mind. This does not set well for people that buy your titles. If EA is unwilling to commit to their products, then stop releasing them. Plain and simple.

I continue to not support EA, only because EA doesn't support their customers. Bad business is what I think about when I think of EA.

Why not reopen E&B. Just send the materials over to EA Mythic or Gametap and let them deal with it. At least you will make some money from a product that you allready have, that is not doing anything. If not, whats the harm in contacting someone from one of the fan sites that are still active, and just give the game away. Whats the harm in that. Let us play again.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait for the possibility of an emulator in the near future! To EA .. I have no idea how you guys can make so much money with bad business. If I ran my business with this kind of direction, I think that I would be out of business real fast.

EARTH AND BEYOND WILL LIVE !
    Phorlaug.............

I second this 100%.  in additions to the game being great, I really enjoyed the community that was in it.  I still had the game installed for about 2 years before I was forced to format and reinstall.  I still have pictures of it, not to mention a T-shirt I got for going to an event in Indianapolis.

That said, I haven't touched an EA product since.

Bring back EnB!

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

I also agree totally with Phorlaug's comments about E&B.

I beta tested it and when it was going live I went down to buy it at the local game shop and the clerk didn't even know what it was.  He had to look for it (they had 4 total copies).  They had no posters, cardboard cutouts, nothing to advertise for it.

Also, E&B had very little in the way of PvP.  The lore was a war had recently ended so would seem rather silly to have mass ship murder running rampant if everyone was trying to rebuild.  I know many wouldn't care about lore reasons, they would just want PvP regardless.

EA was a good company under its former head.  When he parted ways to form 3DO and the new guy took over that's when they started going downhill.  They began gobbling up smaller companies and taking credit for the products.  This could have be ok had they continued to support and produce the games they acquired, but they didn't.

The code for E&B is still there somewhere, it's not like they have to write from scratch.  Send it over to your "new" MMOG division (which won't be called Mythic for long) and have them update a bit and send it out.  Since so many players are getting sick and tired of magic/elf games, it would be a great opportunity to grab those people as customers.  EVE is too hardcore PvP for many american gamers, so a lighter PvP scifi game would do well.  Especially when word of mouth got out....

Oh and by the way, I don't see Harry Potter Online doing well at all.  Make it for kids you lose the adult customers, make it for adults and the fans will cry you're fouling up the lore of the books.

LOTR The Movie Online?  No point to make it.  If Turbine's is sucessful, then wouldn't be wise to make another.  If Turbine's fails, then would sour people's desire for a LOTR online game.

I used to like DAoC a lot, too bad Mark Jacobs sold out to EA. 

• BearprobeBearprobe Member Posts: 12
    Was anybody else pissed off that Shadowrun was turned into an FPS instead of an MMO? image

.probe

• KallDrexxKallDrexx Member Posts: 18

Maybe Mythic can take some ideas from Wish so we have a PvE game that is worth a damn :(

Wish was the only game to have an ever evolving story (even if the story was only going for a week before it got cancelled) and where the questing and pve wasn't repetitive (unless you wanted it to be).  Everything since has been uninteresting and moved me back to PvP waiting for a decent PvE game again.

Not really MMO related I would love a new Spellbinder type game by Mythic!  Makes me sad that the game has been empty for so long :(

Admin of the Library of Rage! - Unofficial Fury Fansite

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650
    ENB was a unique adventure. It's one of the only MMO that actually had
    an open storyline based on the players action. The VRIX destroying the
    MARS sector was just amazing.. A zone with a station, a city, a
    planet... that one day became a graveyard.

EA killed pretty much every game that Westwood had to be honest. Just
    take CnC renegade for example.. it had potential and it was starting to
    kick then EA destroyed it..

• MordraigMordraig Member Posts: 2

E&B should return. Nuff said.

As far as other MMO's

Warhammer40K is a good bet and could be expanded up the wazoo over time with additions of chapters and such. It could be fantastic if it combined an EVE like universe and space combat with the down and dirty planatary fighting. This would draw players from all over the MMO world to it in droves. Its time for MMO's to get REALLY MASSIVE in their scope.

EA should redeem itself in the eyes of all who don't play sports games by leveraging its vast resources to wrest control away from Micro-son-O-a-bi*ch the Mechwarrior franchise and hand it to EA Mythic to bring it into its deserved glory. Same engine for 40K could be used with the art, storyline and quests updated to the IP. This would save on developement time and cost and has a large built in hardcore fanbase. 2 for the price of one.