Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting Depth

TesinatoTesinato Member UncommonPosts: 222
How deep is the crafting in this game.  I heard it is good, but seeing as I haven't bought the game yet and doing research on it to make sure paying 40 dollars is worth it, I want to know about the crafting system and how it works a little bit.  Is it really easy and retarted, like WoW is, or is much more in depth that would simulate crafting somewhat, maybe like horizons/swg before that patch it had.  If it isn't like either in anyway, can you explain how it works so I get an understanding.  Do you have to pvp?  Can you just be a crafter and help develop things or make things for the ones fighting the wars?  I can't think of any other questions right now, but if I do, i'll make another post.  Any answers would be great.  It does look like a good game.

Comments

• ImpacatusImpacatus Member Posts: 436

Roma Victor crafting has several different elements.  The simplest form of crafting involves combining two objects to make another, whose quality is based on your skill and the quality of the components. 

Sometimes you need to have one or two tools equipped, which degrade based on your skill and need to be maintained. 

Sometimes you need to attach to a crafting station, which is a static structure such as a forge or loom.  For some things, such as baking, this takes a certain amount of time and you need to come back when it's finished.

Sometimes you need to use a projectsite.  When you have one outside, it's used to build a structure.  These tend to need hundreds of individual items, which you add a certain time apart.  If you make a projectsite indoors, you use it to make complex items such as armor. 

Sometimes you need to leave things outside for a chemical reaction to occur.  An example is flax.  After rotting it in a retting pit (crafting station), you need to leave it outside to dry.

Just about every finished project requires many steps.  For example, to make bread:

1.  You plant some barley seeds and wait for them to grow.

2.  You can water the plants with an amphora.

3.  You harvest the crop with a sickle (tool).

4.  You thrash it with a winnowing fork (tool).

5.  Grind the grain with a mortar (tool) and quern (crafting station).

5.  Mix the flour with saltwater from an amphora.  I think you may need a mortar and quern for this too.

6.  Leave half the dough outside to sour.

7.  Mix the dough and sourdough together.

8.  Put it in an oven (crafting station) with a peel (tool) and firewood.  Wait for awhile then take out the finished loaf of bread.

So yeah, I'd say it's pretty complex.  Alot of metal objects have even more steps.  What's more, all those tools, carfting stations, and materials can be produced by players (except saltwater, but it will be).

You can make a living with just crafting, in fact it's much more profitable than combat.  However, the game is open pvp.  The towns have NPC guards, and are relatively safe.  Still, the guards can be killed or distracted, so crafters occasionally get attacked. 

If you're building an mmorpg, or if you'd like to share ideas or talk about this industry, visit Multiplayer Worlds.

• TesinatoTesinato Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Wow, that is really in depth.  I am so getting this game now.  How often are crafters attacked?  Alot?  A little when a raid happens?  Just curious about that.  But the detail it takes to just make bread is more then enough for me to make the decision to get the game.  I saw you can buy money in the game, but is money really needed?  I assume it may be at first to get some tools or whatnot, but after that, is money really needed?  And if it is, is it such a dominate force that you must buy it to survive?

How often crafters are attacked depends on the political situation mostly.  Romans cannot attack other Romans in Roman controlled areas, so to them it only happens when an enemy force invades.  On the other hand, free towns it's usually the same, but occasionally there will be a civil war.  I haven't been in game for awhile, so I don't know the frequency of raids.

As far as the VERM, judging by the thread I posted on the boards asking how much people are spending, most people don't get more than the 5000 you start with.  If you join a good guild, you can usually get all the tools and things you need, and if you're a competant crafter of an object that's in demand, you should be able to make all the money you need.

It's not really a dominant force, since almost everything in game can be crafted, and almost everything that can't be will be. 

EDIT:  And since we've been accused of overhyping the game, I will say that it's in a very unpolished state.  There are some technical issues to be worked out, and alot of things that should be in aren't yet.  Do your research on it first and then make your decision.

If you're building an mmorpg, or if you'd like to share ideas or talk about this industry, visit Multiplayer Worlds.

• GeneralDoliGeneralDoli Member Posts: 71
    Buy it, then don't play it for another three months. That's what I'm doing.

Is the unpolishness that bad to make it unplayable?  I've read things, bad lag, sub par game design, etc etc, but honestly, not everyone can get into a simulation type of game.  Hell, most games now adays start as rough betas and work from there.  D&D was, and so was autoassault.  I've seen alot of those korea type games "open beta" type, even though they are released to the masses.  So tell me, how bad could it really be.  It would seem people are playing.

• MrDDTMrDDT Member UncommonPosts: 276

Its pretty bad, but its getting better all the time.

Right now, I would say unless you are for sure going to play and you have nothing else to play now. Play it. Otherwise wait til atleast this next patch.

Right now there isnt much to do but train up some of your basic skills and build a few things. PvP isnt all that great because so many things are missing, and there isnt that many buildables in the game (there is a lot but only like 25% of the total that will be in the game).

-MrDDT

Originally posted by Shadowlord10
    Is the unpolishness that bad to make it unplayable?  I've read things, bad lag, sub par game design, etc etc, but honestly, not everyone can get into a simulation type of game.  Hell, most games now adays start as rough betas and work from there.  D&D was, and so was autoassault.  I've seen alot of those korea type games "open beta" type, even though they are released to the masses.  So tell me, how bad could it really be.  It would seem people are playing.

Well, if you're able to look past that kind of thing, I say go for it.   I do think that you may be right about alot of the critisizm coming from people who don't understand the genre.  It is playable, especially on the crafting side of things, and it's slowly but surely getting better.

• Sir-RealSir-Real Member Posts: 27

Corrected it a bit :).

Originally posted by Impacatus

1.  You plant some barley seeds and wait for them to grow.
    2.  You can water the plants with an amphora.
    3.  You harvest the crop (sheaf barley) with a sickle (tool).
    4.  You thrash it with a winnowing fork (tool). You get cerealears. You use your mortar on it. You become straw and wholegrain. You then use your mortar to make grain out of the wholegrain.

5.  Grind the grain with a mortar (tool) and quern (crafting station). You get flour.

5.  Mix the flour with saltwater from an amphora. You need a mortar for this.

6.  Leave the freshdough outside to sour. (best to pick it back up and drop in projectsite, decay would else ruin it it, or it could be stolen)

7.  Repeat 1-5. Then mix the freshdough with the sourdough (the thing you get when your first freshdough has been exposed to the elements for a couple of hours). You will get dough. You need a mortar for this.

8.  Put it in an oven (crafting station) with a peel (tool) and firewood.  Wait for awhile then take out the finished loaf of bread.
    So yeah, I'd say it's pretty complex.  Alot of metal objects have even more steps.  What's more, all those tools, carfting stations, and materials can be produced by players (except saltwater, but it will be).
    You can make a living with just crafting, in fact it's much more profitable than combat.  However, the game is open pvp.  The towns have NPC guards, and are relatively safe.  Still, the guards can be killed or distracted, so crafters occasionally get attacked. 

One of the complaints I've heard on the RV fora is that the crafting was too complicated. It takes a rather long while to get established since you need multiple tools and resources to make things (well, not for something simple as a mortar of course). Especially if you don't find a good guild.

Thanks for that, it clears some things up.  Although most of the time I don't think you need to repeat steps 1-5, maybe more like 3-5, since you can harvest about 5 sheafs from one field.

• KemarikKemarik Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by Sir-Real

It takes a rather long while to get established since you need multiple tools and resources to make things (well, not for something simple as a mortar of course).

The many challenges you must overcome to get established make it all worth it in the end. 
    Well the complexity is something I'm looking for.  There are too many games that make it too easy to do anything in the game.  A non-linear game is something I like as well.  Eve is like that, and I do enjoy it alot too.  Again, thanks for all the advice and answers to my questions.  I'll be getting this soon.

Glad to hear it  Hope you enjoy the game, and to see you in game once I get around to building a new pc.  The game is a little confusing at first, so my advice is to either join a guild right away, or at least find someone to show you around.

I thought of another question.  How do you harvest things in the game?  Is it a simple, click on item, and watch as you collect, or do you need tools, or what?  Kind of curious.  I would of bought it already, but I have to wait til next friday til my paycheck comes in, thought I had more money in my bank then I actually do.  Hate when that happens.

• VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492
    From the extremely little that I know about farming, you have to have a sickle equiped in order to wack it all down.

Yeah, it depends.  Some things you need a tool for, others you just forage off the ground.

For wood there's a different system.  You can forage for firewood and sticks, but for logs and branches you need to cut down a tree with a handsaw.  From the felled tree you can extract a number of logs, branches, and sticks using either your handsaw or I think a hatchet.

It all depends on storage actually. If youy have plenty of space you can just harvest like 100 barley (you need  3+ trips for that though) and then process it all. WHile the 100 freshdough is souring you can go farming again and grab 100 more barley. You turn it all into freshdough when your sourdough is ready (you will have enough time to make the frshdough and mix it with the sour to make dough because baking bread takes 20 RL minutae).
    If you still have your projectsite free you should make some haystack from the straw (you get from the sheafs of barley) and sell those to the people that are training construction.

PS : It takes 3 cycles for flax to grow, you need a knife to harvest from it. One field is good for 4 flax.
    It takes 8 cycles for barley to grow, you need a sickle to harvest from it. One field is good for 8 barley (= 8 wholgegrain and 8 straw).

Jess is right.

But 9 barley and 9 cycles.

-MrDDT

• VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492
    Just to show how much I know about farming...how long is 1 cycle? 1 RV day? or 1 RL day?

How does storage work in the game?  Do you make your own storage?  If so, how?  Also, I read that you can have your own house and such, are you able to create multiple houses?  Say I want to be an architect, can I be?

Well, first of all, you have your inventory.  That works like most other mmorpgs.  You can leave things lying around anywhere, although they decay and can be stolen if not in a building.  There are some public buildings you can leave stuff in where it won't decay, but it can be stolen.  If you're lucky enough to have your own (few people are, since rentables are in heavy demand, and building one is expensive and labour intense), stuff you leave can't decay or be stolen.  You can also use a projectsite for this, until the project is finished.  Finally, there are piles.  You can build firewood, clay, log, and straw piles.  These are structures that you can withdraw however much of the resource you put in.  You can't add to a pile once it's finished though.  We're told that true containers and handcarts are coming soon.

You can have as many houses as you want, but like I said, it's not easy for most people to get one.  You can build structures like piles, crafting stations, and roundhouses, and in that sense be an architect.  The roundhouses and more complex crafting stations require several skills though, so often they end up being group projects rather than individual. 

With a lot of luck, we should get better ways of storing things this month.
    Fingers crossed

Storage is a pain in the ass. Simple as that. Right now it straight up sucks, even after they add the few things its still going to suck.

However, thats one thing thats going to drive this econ is a need for buildings and a place to live. I have 3 houses and 3 accounts, I still running out of space. Granted a I play a lot and need to store more then most, but storage is a pain in the butt.

Its going to be a problem forever but its just part of what makes the game run the way it does.

Best way to store stuff is to have 2 accounts and make a large site with one and use your main account to build stuff.

-MrDDT

Cool.  Thanks again for all the info.