Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jacket Alternatives?

KuzzleKuzzle Member Posts: 1,058

Well, for quite some time, I've worn a jacket whenever I've been in public. Why? I have a bunch of things that I need to carry. Everything from hand sanitizer, mints, a drink, pencils, pens, change, my wallet, notes... A lot of stuff. Now, I don't trust my pants pockets for my wallet, and as such, I carry it in a zippered inside pocket in my jacket.

Add to that the fact that it's always handy to have a jacket incase you're cold, and... Well, it's nice to have one, but my current one isn't exactly what I'd call "fashionable", or anything. Basicly, I'm just asking for another way to carry a bunch of stuff. Preferably one that won't make me look ridiculous or stupid. Any ideas?

Comments

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Don't carry all that crap around?

• KuzzleKuzzle Member Posts: 1,058

Originally posted by qotsa
    Don't carry all that crap around?

Uh... Why? I need all that stuff. I'd wear a backpack around, and keep it fully stocked, but I think that'd be even more strange than the jacket. Plus, it wouldn't go with my outfits at all... not that my jacket does, just saying. I mean, I look foolish enough, ya know?
  • kimosabekimosabe Member Posts: 516

Originally posted by Kuzzle

Well, for quite some time, I've worn a jacket whenever I've been in public. Why? I have a bunch of things that I need to carry. Everything from hand sanitizer, mints, a drink, pencils, pens, change, my wallet, notes... A lot of stuff. Now, I don't trust my pants pockets for my wallet, and as such, I carry it in a zippered inside pocket in my jacket.
       Add to that the fact that it's always handy to have a jacket incase you're cold, and... Well, it's nice to have one, but my current one isn't exactly what I'd call "fashionable", or anything. Basicly, I'm just asking for another way to carry a bunch of stuff. Preferably one that won't make me look ridiculous or stupid. Any ideas?

If you absolutely need to carry all that stuff around with you, and you don't want to wear a jacket, pretty much the only other options are a backpack or messenger bag.

...but:
    You're only 17, why the hell you do carry around hand sanitizer? You mostly don't need it unless you have an immune system deficiency or are compulsive (I'm compulsive too, but not about germs). Also, I can understand if you're a huge literature/writing buff and you wanna keep supplies around with you if you get a good idea, but you could get a small tape recorder instead, or possibly a PDA/Cell Phone that you can keep/mark notes that you need to remember. If you use the recorder/PDA idea, then all you need to carry around is you wallet (where you can keep your change too), PDA/recorder, and gum/mints. Three things right there, and you'd still have one pocket of your jeans left empty just in case: mp3player, hand sanitizer (which can come in pocket-sized bottles, convenient huh?), etc...

Hope that helps.

Je mettrai l'amour sur dos de moi.

• XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697
    A pocket book, that's what you should use.  And they're in fasion too.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

lol....fanny pack!!!!

I think that has to be the first time that I have ever recommended the use of a fanny pack...hah.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

Originally posted by kimosabe

If you absolutely need to carry all that stuff around with you, and you don't want to wear a jacket, pretty much the only other options are a backpack or messenger bag.

...but:You're only 17, why the hell you do carry around hand sanitizer? You mostly don't need it unless you have an immune system deficiency or are compulsive (I'm compulsive too, but not about germs). Also, I can understand if you're a huge literature/writing buff and you wanna keep supplies around with you if you get a good idea, but you could get a small tape recorder instead, or possibly a PDA/Cell Phone that you can keep/mark notes that you need to remember. If you use the recorder/PDA idea, then all you need to carry around is you wallet (where you can keep your change too), PDA/recorder, and gum/mints. Three things right there, and you'd still have one pocket of your jeans left empty just in case: mp3player, hand sanitizer (which can come in pocket-sized bottles, convenient huh?), etc...
    Hope that helps.

I carry hand sanitizer because there are so many filthy people up here. I mean, don't-wash-their-hands-after-taking-a-dump type filthy.
       The writing supplies are for school.
       I'd get a cell phone, as always having a camera handy would be, well, handy, but actually calling people? No one to call.
       I carry the "moisture therapy" Purel(sp?) stuff, since I wasn't able to find any pocket-sized bottles down here. It's smaller than the regular bottles, but larger than the pocket-sized ones.
       I can't stand putting things in my pants pockets. I mean, you have to stand up to get anything out of them! It's ridiculous. Oh, and I don't have an mp3 player.
    (Edit: The second quote thing won't leave!)

• cornoffcobcornoffcob Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by kimosabe
    ...but:You're only 17, why the hell you do carry around hand sanitizer? You mostly don't need it unless you have an immune system deficiency or are compulsive (I'm compulsive too, but not about germs). Also, I can understand if you're a huge literature/writing buff and you wanna keep supplies around with you if you get a good idea, but you could get a small tape recorder instead, or possibly a PDA/Cell Phone that you can keep/mark notes that you need to remember. If you use the recorder/PDA idea, then all you need to carry around is you wallet (where you can keep your change too), PDA/recorder, and gum/mints. Three things right there, and you'd still have one pocket of your jeans left empty just in case: mp3player, hand sanitizer (which can come in pocket-sized bottles, convenient huh?), etc...Hope that helps.
    I carry hand sanitizer because there are so many filthy people up here. I mean, don't-wash-their-hands-after-taking-a-dump type filthy. The writing supplies are for school. I'd get a cell phone, as always having a camera handy would be, well, handy, but actually calling people? No one to call. I carry the "moisture therapy" Purel(sp?) stuff, since I wasn't able to find any pocket-sized bottles down here. It's smaller than the regular bottles, but larger than the pocket-sized ones. I can't stand putting things in my pants pockets. I mean, you have to stand up to get anything out of them! It's ridiculous. Oh, and I don't have an mp3 player.(Edit: The second quote thing won't leave!)

ok heres what you do... get rid of the moisture therapy stuff, get looser pants, stop wearing a jacket all the time carry around one pencil or pen( you don't need a bunch) put your wallet in your back pocket, and stop carrying around a recorder thing. Basically you'll probably have someone other than your parents to call if you dress better...Is clothing shallow...maybe...but you'll have friends...

I hope some day we can all put aside our racisms and prejudices and just laugh at people

Originally posted by cornoffcob

ok heres what you do... get rid of the moisture therapy stuff, get looser pants, stop wearing a jacket all the time carry around one pencil or pen( you don't need a bunch) put your wallet in your back pocket, and stop carrying around a recorder thing. Basically you'll probably have someone other than your parents to call if you dress better...Is clothing shallow...maybe...but you'll have friends...

My pants fit me comfortably. If they were much more loose, they'd be falling off my ass, and I'd look like an idiot. Plus, I'm trying to lose weight, so buying huge pants would be a little countrt-productive.

I carry one pencil, and one pen. I keep the others in my folder, just incase the one I'm carrying craps out on me.

First off, it'd bother me to have something in one of my back pockets. I'm OCD, and that's the same reason I don't wear a watch. It'd throw off my perception of symmetry and annoy me all day. Secondly, I don't feel that the back pocket is secure enough. My brother keeps his wallet there, and he's lost it three times. Thirdly, I'd probably end up putting the damn thing through the wash so many times, it'd be ruined.

I don't carry around a recorder thing, that's just what someone suggested.

I dress just fine, other than the jacket. I mean, my wardrobe's a little limited, but I'll get more clothes the next time I'm in Anchorage... unfortuneately, I'll be there with my father, so I can't really ask if something would look ok on me. He wears a tanktop with a tuft of hair on his back sticking out the top and wonders why I'm embarrassed to be seen with him...

It's not all because of my clothing. Having a damn "Shadow" doesn't do wonders for your social life...

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

One alternative might be a nice vest, or a "hoodie".

I would also suggest maybe cutting down on some of the things you carry too. I'm similar in that I tend to carry alot of things, but trust me, you're not a kangaroo and girls don't like to see your pockets full of stuff. It throws off the symmetry of your pants.

I put my wallet in my front pants pocket. Hand sanitizer you might want to find a way of getting that smaller bottle. Don't carry a drink with you. Mints can go in the pants pocket too.

It all depends on where you're going and what you're doing. If you're heading to school, keep your stuff in your backpack. If you're not at school, try to avoid carrying pens and pencils around with you, atleast avoid it if your pocket space is limited. I try to avoid carrying change less than quarters too. If you got a bunch of small change in your pocket, give it to the next homeless guy you see. He'll get a break and you'll have more pocket-space, it's a win-win scenario.

I know the worst time I have with pocket space is in the summer when I want to go see a movie. I need to find space for my cell phone, my glasses, sometimes sunglasses, sometimes mp3 player, all in addition to my wallet and keys and chap stick and etc. Sometimes you just have to leave things at home. You don't have a cellphone which saves you some space. I have to just leave mine at home sometimes.

Regarding not being able to get things out of your jeans/pants pocket, if it's really a problem for you, you can find ways around that too. For example, I buy a brand of jeans that is jean material but it has small elastic fibers woven into the material. The result is they look and feel like jean material, but when pulled they have a slight amount of 'give' to them. This lets me get into and out of my pockets easily even while sitting down or whatever.

I know it may be harder to get over a few of these things if you're OCD though. Short answer, alternatives would be vests, hoodies, backpacks. Stay away from fanny packs. Try leaving stuff in your car (if you have one).

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• cornoffcobcornoffcob Member Posts: 860

My pants fit me comfortably. If they were much more loose, they'd be falling off my ass, and I'd look like an idiot. Plus, I'm trying to lose weight, so buying huge pants would be a little countrt-productive.
    I carry one pencil, and one pen. I keep the others in my folder, just incase the one I'm carrying craps out on me.
    First off, it'd bother me to have something in one of my back pockets. I'm OCD, and that's the same reason I don't wear a watch. It'd throw off my perception of symmetry and annoy me all day. Secondly, I don't feel that the back pocket is secure enough. My brother keeps his wallet there, and he's lost it three times. Thirdly, I'd probably end up putting the damn thing through the wash so many times, it'd be ruined.
    I don't carry around a recorder thing, that's just what someone suggested.
    I dress just fine, other than the jacket. I mean, my wardrobe's a little limited, but I'll get more clothes the next time I'm in Anchorage... unfortuneately, I'll be there with my father, so I can't really ask if something would look ok on me. He wears a tanktop with a tuft of hair on his back sticking out the top and wonders why I'm embarrassed to be seen with him...
    It's not all because of my clothing. Having a damn "Shadow" doesn't do wonders for your social life...

woah you totally live in alaska don't you? I thought you lived in Arkansas....being that it says anchor point AK...and I thought AK stood for arkansas..

I hope some day we can all put aside our racisms and prejudices and just laugh at people

woah you totally live in alaska don't you? I thought you lived in Arkansas....being that it says anchor point AK...and I thought AK stood for arkansas..

Ok... I don't get it. What difference does it make? You know, it's normally warmer here than in Colorado. People don't generally wear jackets, and that's why I was asking for a possible alternative. You're confuzing...
  • InflictionInfliction Member Posts: 1,115

I totally agree with the fanny-pack idea, albeit it may be a bit more counter-productive towards your popularity, unless you go for strange and get some odd, hot pink color or something... Then you can make friends with all the emo kids at your school.

Originally posted by Infliction
    I totally agree with the fanny-pack idea, albeit it may be a bit more counter-productive towards your popularity, unless you go for strange and get some odd, hot pink color or something... Then you can make friends with all the emo kids at your school.

Ugh, too many people think I'm gay as is...
  • InflictionInfliction Member Posts: 1,115

Originally posted by Infliction
       Ugh, too many people think I'm gay as is...

Only like... 95% of emo kids are gay. Fanny packs are totally rad!

• CowinspaceCowinspace Member Posts: 671
    If you have a pet you could train it as a pack animal (unless its a cat, they're pretty useless). 

Other than that, wearing a lighter jacket and using a bag of some description. As for trousers, I don't know if you have combats. They are light trousers (canvas type material usually, much lighter than denim) with big pockets about half way down the thigh to around the knee depending on style ( LINKY ). much easier to use than normal trouser pockets.

Oh and WTF is a fanny-pack. That just sounds like some sanitory thing for women (here in UK fanny=pussy)

In the US, fanny means butt... I think. Click here! ...And also here!
  • CowinspaceCowinspace Member Posts: 671
    Ahh I get it, here we called those bum-bags. Gotta love the english language and the stuff it spawns