Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on the new Expansion?

There have been a number of rumors as of late about a new expansion coming sometime in 2007, I am wondering what you all think it maybe? Personally, I think there maybe a large event of some sort as a representation of the Battle on Hoth, and then that leads into the release of the expansion which would have one or two planets, but I have not decided on the planets. I am also wondering if in the expansion they will use some of the new technology that is coming out in the release of the new LA games in 2007, but I don’t know if that would work or not, maybe not. But anyways tell me what you think it will be and what you are hopping it will be about for the new expansion. Bring it on down now.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.

Comments

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Originally posted by BlazinBlades

There have been a number of rumors as of late about a new expansion coming sometime in 2007, I am wondering what you all think it maybe? Personally, I think there maybe a large event of some sort as a representation of the Battle on Hoth, and then that leads into the release of the expansion which would have one or two planets, but I have not decided on the planets. I am also wondering if in the expansion they will use some of the new technology that is coming out in the release of the new LA games in 2007, but I don’t know if that would work or not, maybe not. But anyways tell me what you think it will be and what you are hopping it will be about for the new expansion. Bring it on down now.

I don't know if Hoth will really work. I mean there was only one tiny reb base there and the rest of the planet is ice.  If they just made it a total PVP planet maybe it would work.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• bedolla3401bedolla3401 Member Posts: 293
    i wouldlike to know how the hell there is gonna be an expansion when like lol 5000 people still play lol (sarcasticly speaking)
  • akevvakevv Member Posts: 208
    I think we will be hearing of SWG2 before any expansion. This game is working on four years and it is time to upgrade. This is not to mention all of the ill will of the disenfranchised vets. An exansion is highly unlikely, but a new version is probably right...

Akevv Ostone
    No Longer SWG Free :(

• wolfsaberwolfsaber Member Posts: 29

I don't know if Hoth will really work. I mean there was only one tiny reb base there and the rest of the planet is ice.  If they just made it a total PVP planet maybe it would work.

hoth didn't just have a tiny reb base think of what luke went throw with the snow beast an the caves an the pro trodes... there could be alot more then what you think on that planet... what about tatoo an all those other planets if you watch the movies they don't talk about some of the citys that they got in the game
  • anaicanaic Member Posts: 409
    I've never understood the requests for Hoth as an expansion...it's unoccupied by either rebels or imperials at this point in the game's timeline; it's nothing more than a giant snowball with some creatures that live on it.
  • SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Hoth is worthless. Id like to see either Geonosis, Nal Hutta, or Ryloth. Actually any planet on the Outer Rim that isnt Hoth.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    I want Coruscant!

• EmEyEmEEmEyEmE Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by BlazinBlades

HOTH????

dont think so man the events are placed between new hope and empire strikes back

and that happens in empire strikes (duh) having a at st or at at wont make me cry though....

so actually we are in the battle of restuss thing mostly lol

so dont think we would get our dream of a expansion...

and coruscant can sound like a dream,like even nar shadda

and to think all the quests that could be on a planet like korriban (FOR THE SITH)

if they would have stuck with the pre-cu we all know there would be a expansion

but i hear there's a complete edition comming out...they give you a walker i think

(HAVENT YOU herad  OF the supposed NEW SPECIES rumor ....i mean gungan's,jawas, wtf....

or even a jedi gamorrean)

im gonna shut up gets me more pissed off at nge....

I would suspect the next expansion would advance the timeline...Restuss was stated by a dev to be part of one of the events that are playing a part in that.

Originally posted by Obraik
    I want Coruscant!

Damn that was the planet I was trying to think of last night. Definitely would like to see that one.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• ShiloFieldsShiloFields Member Posts: 252

Advacing the timeline to post Ep. 6 would at least do something to make the game more in line with the story.  However, obviously SOE doesn't care whether the game conflicts with the movies or not.   Not sure most of them have even watch the movies.

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

Originally posted by BaronJuJu

I want Coruscant!
    Damn that was the planet I was trying to think of last night. Definitely would like to see that one.

I'd like to see that too, but i think theyve said before that coruscant is impossible to to game engine limitations. Would be nice if they managed to make it work though.

Originally posted by pirrg

I want Coruscant!

I'd like to see that too, but i think theyve said before that coruscant is impossible to to game engine limitations. Would be nice if they managed to make it work though.

I dont think Coruscant is possible in any SW game, at least not full scale. Battlefront 2 has Coruscant, but its only the Jedi Temple. There is just to much stuff to load and process, everybody would need a dual processor server motherboard that supports dual core, and 16 gigs of RAM to handle the whole city. They would have to split it in quadrants like Kashyykk......lots of quadrants, to be playable. But even then, imagine the server load.

Nal Hutta falls into this same impossibility, which sucks because its one of the planets I would love to see, and would add a limitless line of content for Smugglers, Bounty Hunters and Spy's.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• AthelaAthela Member Posts: 492

Couple of things...Blazin, you fell out of character writing this post.  Your sentences are too clearly written.  Tsk.  Stay on target, fella. 

Advancing the timeline--they hinted at that last January then it went into limbo.

How does Restuss do anything to advance the timeline? 

The hype during E3 about "changing the Galaxy forever" was more likely just the emphasis on the Galactic Civil War, something they are making good strides on accomplishing.

I would guess an expansion would be a planet not so familiar to people so they have leeway to tell the story their way.

• EmEyEmEEmEyEmE Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Athela

Couple of things...Blazin, you fell out of character writing this post.  Your sentences are too clearly written.  Tsk.  Stay on target, fella. 
    Advancing the timeline--they hinted at that last January then it went into limbo.
    The hype during E3 about "changing the Galaxy forever" was more likely just the emphasis on the Galactic Civil War, something they are making good strides on accomplishing.
    I would guess an expansion would be a planet not so familiar to people so they have leeway to tell the story their way.

well lok is not a known planet to any,lesser star wars fan... and they did not invent a story...they should but that would just get me mad....

if it went on my line...ok lets dream for a while

a hutt faction...? yeah jabba the other stupid hutts....and they're nal hutta comes in? would be great to bounty hunter's, smuggler's and scum alike....

more ships......maybe they can let you be a droid such as IG-88...or hk-47....it would be akward but

jedi's running around all the time is akward already....so they should be creative...DAAAAMN

• goalieman392goalieman392 Member Posts: 32
    how could a timeline argument against hoth be in any way valid when the game is mostly jedi?

Originally posted by Athela

My guess is that Restuss is meant to be an EU event.  We have a small story from Mustafar about the Empire putting a contract in with the Mensix mining company to supply a "project" and now we have Restuss with the battle for a compact power source that could power a Death Star...

Originally posted by EmEyEmE

more ships......maybe they can let you be a droid such as IG-88...or hk-47....it would be akward but

This might draw a few laughs, but to be honest I thought Droids would be the new race announced with JtL. I sure as hell didnt expect Sullustians. Their are droids in the SWU that have free will such as the experimental IG Assassin Droids, and the much older version of them, the HK series, so why couldnt they allow players to be them? Natural passive armor bonuses, passive hinderance to speed and such things to balance, end of story.

— Boba Fett

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

Originally posted by Spathotan

Originally posted by pirrg

I want Coruscant!

I dont think Coruscant is possible in any SW game, at least not full scale. Battlefront 2 has Coruscant, but its only the Jedi Temple. There is just to much stuff to load and process, everybody would need a dual processor server motherboard that supports dual core, and 16 gigs of RAM to handle the whole city. They would have to split it in quadrants like Kashyykk......lots of quadrants, to be playable. But even then, imagine the server load.

Nal Hutta falls into this same impossibility, which sucks because its one of the planets I would love to see, and would add a limitless line of content for Smugglers, Bounty Hunters and Spy's.

I have thought about the technical challenges of implementing Coruscant.  I am thinking most people are concerned about the massive traffic in the skies in addition to numerous buildings and people.  To handle the sky traffic I was thinking of making large scrolling "bulletin boards" with alpha transparency as opposed to using regular 3D objects.  I wonder if that would bring it closer to being possible? 

I'll play with this in a few months in my project and see if I can create a futuristic megalopolis that is believable.  I'm gonna want one for my Sci-Fi game anyhow.

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• GorairGorair Member Posts: 959

Why hoth? arent there enough planets already where you walk thru the jungle/desert/swamp kilnig rats and snakes to find a cave to kill the big lizard living there for a sword?

AN urban setting with stuff to do would seem a little more Oh i dont know Sci-fi ...

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625
    Since the expansions generally seem to be tied to a shiny new DVD or movie release instead of something actually needed in the game, I guess the question is "what is Lucas getting ready to sell?"

Hm, the animated TV series?

That's it!  The fantastic new character generation system Expansion ... new cartoony look for your character, but don't consider this a pathetic attempt to emulate WoW, because it's definitely not that.  Definitely.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by anaic
    I've never understood the requests for Hoth as an expansion...it's unoccupied by either rebels or imperials at this point in the game's timeline; it's nothing more than a giant snowball with some creatures that live on it.

Well that is because they have yet to move the timeline forward by about a year yet which they drastically need to do.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• BigDogofBriaBigDogofBria Member Posts: 147

SWG: The Burning Crusade

Duh.

• KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625

Originally posted by Fadeus

Well that is because they have yet to move the timeline forward by about a year yet which they drastically need to do.

You mean, they need to abandon the pretense that SWG is logically linked to any part of the SW timeline, which they drastically need to do.

Originally posted by KzinKiller

Originally posted by Fadeus

You mean, they need to abandon the pretense that SWG is logically linked to any part of the SW timeline, which they drastically need to do.

I thought they pretty much made that clear after the "Cries of Alderaan" went down the tubes.