Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

who would come back if there was classic?

Comments

• SailexSailex Member Posts: 122

OMG get over it! PreCU is never coming back! Move Along!

Oh yes and I know the magic cabal servers, sounds worse than being at the mercy of SOE

• KruniacKruniac Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by Sailex

OMG get over it! PreCU is never coming back! Move Along!
    Oh yes and I know the magic cabal servers, sounds worse than being at the mercy of SOE
    SWGEmu - where a PLAYER makes a decision on how the game should be. Find a server with a vetern player, and chances are good that you'll have a good time.
  • ownedyou1ownedyou1 Member Posts: 364
    Being one of kmacs friends i got to 'beta-test' the swgemu , it was the best 3 hours i've ever had while on a PC since 11-14-05.
  • alphajonnyalphajonny Member CommonPosts: 55
    at least 2 accounts here would be back  today.  :)  There really is nothing else out  there right now  :(
  • mas5949mas5949 Member Posts: 26
    I would come back in a heart beat. It's really the only real Scfi game out there at the moment. I would love to play a classic SWG at least until SGW comes out.
  • abollardiereabollardiere Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Could someone give me a short discription of what the different stages were and how it got worse? I left the game 6 months after launch and didn't realize it had progressively gotten worse ... that's amazing! ... All this development to come up with something worse?? what's the population these days? Masochists ?

SWG - droid engineer (retired)

CoH - Electric Lama - Lvl 26 Blaster(retired)

WoW - Kame - Lvl 60 NE Hunter
    Server: Zul'jin
    Guild: Crash Test Bunnies

• shermon15shermon15 Member Posts: 61

Would consider anything pre NGE.  Would be nice if they brought the game back to life and add a team to create more content.  That is all we really ever wanted was content.  

Triston Master Carbine/Master Swords (SWG Eclipse)
    Triston 29 Warden (EQ2 Permafrost)
    Weland 70 Hunter (WoW Hellscream)
    Suidan 36 Cleric (Vanguard Flamehammer)
    Suidan 50 Champion (LOTR Gladden)

• neilh73neilh73 Member Posts: 239

I would return to a Pre-CU SWG server in a heartbeat. I am currently playing Vanguard and Betaing LotRO. Neither of these games, or any of the others that I have played since leaving SWG can hold a candle to it in any way.

It is by far the best game I have ever played and I really miss it from time to time. In fact I might pop back in to have a look around as I have yet another 21-day Vet Trial. Although the last time I did that it just made me depressed to see the sad state that the game is in these days.

Oh well, roll on Fallen Earth and Age of Conan - No Bloody Elves = Winner!

MMORPG History:
    Playing - EVE Online.
    Played (Retired) - AO, SWG, MxO, WoW, RFO, SoR, CoX, EQ2, GW, L2, Vanguard, LotRO, AoC, TCoS, Aion.
    Favourite MMO - Pre-CU SWG, 3 Years, 4 Accounts, 2 Pre-CU Jedi (1 Pre-9).
    Awaiting - Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World, Earthrise.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    /Sign

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• kasrakasra Member Posts: 33
    /sign
  • MrAzgaardMrAzgaard Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by neilh73

I would return to a Pre-CU SWG server in a heartbeat. I am currently playing Vanguard and Betaing LotRO. Neither of these games, or any of the others that I have played since leaving SWG can hold a candle to it in any way.
    It is by far the best game I have ever played and I really miss it from time to time. In fact I might pop back in to have a look around as I have yet another 21-day Vet Trial. Although the last time I did that it just made me depressed to see the sad state that the game is in these days.
    Oh well, roll on Fallen Earth and Age of Conan - No Bloody Elves = Winner!

Same here, VG totally failed, and i didnt like the LOTRO, well still beta but...but...

Pre-CU, oh heck even CU, theres nothing like SWG old times

Fallen Earth, Great idea, but i do not belive in RPG and FPS.. All my hopes for Bioware, or SWGE%&

*Born Broke, Die Broke*
  • Boaz9Boaz9 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by abollardiere

Could someone give me a short discription of what the different stages were and how it got worse? I left the game 6 months after launch and didn't realize it had progressively gotten worse ... that's amazing! ... All this development to come up with something worse?? what's the population these days? Masochists ?

as everyone else says i'd be back in a heart beat pre-cu...as for a timeline I'll try to remember it best, anybody correct me if i'm wrong

1. game comes out june of 03'
    2. 1st jedi unlocked Nov 03'
    3. holocron giveaway christmas of 03' - everyone now has a definite clue to how to become jedi
    4. pub 9, Mar 04ish  - took away permadeath and made 5 jedi trees (most consider the time between now and the end of 04 as the best times of the game, jedi were still pretty rare and for the most part all the classes were pretty balanced) (yes i know everyone had issues with their class, but for the most part the game was pretty good, at least in my opinion, others will probably say between release and christmas '03 was best times)
    5. AUG 04' - Village is added changing the path to jedi from hologrinding to quest based
    6. JTL, OCT 04 - adding ship flying and 2 new races and of course much needed content to game
    7. Apr 05 - THE CU, also known as combat upgrade, this was the beginning of the end.  It totally changed the combat system to more of a WOWesk type combat.  changed action and mind bar to a type of mana bars, made things cooldown centric as opposed to queue'd, made buffs not as important.  It really blew, but was tolerable.  Massive protests in Theed and other places were held in attempts to crash the game the night before the patch.  Mixed results were achieved.  Some loved it. Most hated it, but it was still familiar enough to keep playing.
    8. Mar 05' - ROTW - added new planet kashyyyk and much needed content to Game, and a distraction to all the problems with the CU
    9. 4 NOV 05 - SOE drops the bomb on peoples saying there would be a New CU or NGE as they called it to the game coming to test center and live on 15 NOV.  This is 2 days after sales of TOOE expansion began.  Threats of fraud and bait and switch tactics were labeled at SOE, which ended up offering refunds on expansions in order to save face (if this isn't the most blatant admission of guilt i dunno what is)
    10. 15 NOV 05 - NGE goes live and with it the beginning of the end of SWG, by my estimation at least from what I could see from my own perspective on Bria a good half the server quit in the days leading up and immediately after it going live.

well thats how best i remember it, someone can correct me if i'm wrong about something.  I still feel post pub 9 up until about end of '04 was the best times in game (though i spend most of that time hologrinding ).  At least from my perspective on Bria our best times pvping and the best balance in the game was during those times.  Beginning in '05 pvp started to decline to more guild wars stuff and strict organized fighting, random people stopped going overt for fear of being ganked by roving jedi.  I seriously believe the downfall of the game started with jedi coming.  I loved the fact that I finally finished my knigh trials in Feb '04, but hated it cause only people I fought between then and the CU were other jedi, cause no "normal" people would go overt unless in a huge group.  Random pvp suffered because of jedi and to deny this (and i did at first) makes you plan stupid.  I would gladly give up being able to play a jedi and don't get me wrong, playing as a knight pre-cu was amazing with a halfway decent saber.  I could mow down any ranged class, though melee was still a tough fight, especially TKMs.  Though if it meant going back to random pvp all the time and being able to jump into bestine or theed and find the rebels attacking, only to counterattack AH/moenia for hours, I would go back to my Doc/rifleman in a second (or TKM/fencer/m brawler)  Oh I loved how we could change up our whole templete in a few days.  If we could go back to those mid '04 battles and fights.  Random pvp everywhere, very few jedi around to scare off casuals pvpers.  Thats what did it really, everyone feared jedi in pvp, so only those really into pvp continued doing it, and only continued doing it in guild wars or strictly organized gank squads that roamed around looking for other gank squads.  Anyway, here's to the game that could have been, but will probably never be again.

• MrAzgaardMrAzgaard Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Boaz9

Originally posted by abollardiere

as everyone else says i'd be back in a heart beat pre-cu...as for a timeline I'll try to remember it best, anybody correct me if i'm wrong

1. game comes out june of 03'
    2. 1st jedi unlocked Nov 03'
    3. holocron giveaway christmas of 03' - everyone now has a definite clue to how to become jedi
    4. pub 9, Mar 04ish  - took away permadeath and made 5 jedi trees (most consider the time between now and the end of 04 as the best times of the game, jedi were still pretty rare and for the most part all the classes were pretty balanced) (yes i know everyone had issues with their class, but for the most part the game was pretty good, at least in my opinion, others will probably say between release and christmas '03 was best times)
    5. AUG 04' - Village is added changing the path to jedi from hologrinding to quest based
    6. JTL, OCT 04 - adding ship flying and 2 new races and of course much needed content to game
    7. Apr 05 - THE CU, also known as combat upgrade, this was the beginning of the end.  It totally changed the combat system to more of a WOWesk type combat.  changed action and mind bar to a type of mana bars, made things cooldown centric as opposed to queue'd, made buffs not as important.  It really blew, but was tolerable.  Massive protests in Theed and other places were held in attempts to crash the game the night before the patch.  Mixed results were achieved.  Some loved it. Most hated it, but it was still familiar enough to keep playing.
    8. Mar 05' - ROTW - added new planet kashyyyk and much needed content to Game, and a distraction to all the problems with the CU
    9. 4 NOV 05 - SOE drops the bomb on peoples saying there would be a New CU or NGE as they called it to the game coming to test center and live on 15 NOV.  This is 2 days after sales of TOOE expansion began.  Threats of fraud and bait and switch tactics were labeled at SOE, which ended up offering refunds on expansions in order to save face (if this isn't the most blatant admission of guilt i dunno what is)
    10. 15 NOV 05 - NGE goes live and with it the beginning of the end of SWG, by my estimation at least from what I could see from my own perspective on Bria a good half the server quit in the days leading up and immediately after it going live.

well thats how best i remember it, someone can correct me if i'm wrong about something.  I still feel post pub 9 up until about end of '04 was the best times in game (though i spend most of that time hologrinding ).  At least from my perspective on Bria our best times pvping and the best balance in the game was during those times.  Beginning in '05 pvp started to decline to more guild wars stuff and strict organized fighting, random people stopped going overt for fear of being ganked by roving jedi.  I seriously believe the downfall of the game started with jedi coming.  I loved the fact that I finally finished my knigh trials in Feb '04, but hated it cause only people I fought between then and the CU were other jedi, cause no "normal" people would go overt unless in a huge group.  Random pvp suffered because of jedi and to deny this (and i did at first) makes you plan stupid.  I would gladly give up being able to play a jedi and don't get me wrong, playing as a knight pre-cu was amazing with a halfway decent saber.  I could mow down any ranged class, though melee was still a tough fight, especially TKMs.  Though if it meant going back to random pvp all the time and being able to jump into bestine or theed and find the rebels attacking, only to counterattack AH/moenia for hours, I would go back to my Doc/rifleman in a second (or TKM/fencer/m brawler)  Oh I loved how we could change up our whole templete in a few days.  If we could go back to those mid '04 battles and fights.  Random pvp everywhere, very few jedi around to scare off casuals pvpers.  Thats what did it really, everyone feared jedi in pvp, so only those really into pvp continued doing it, and only continued doing it in guild wars or strictly organized gank squads that roamed around looking for other gank squads.  Anyway, here's to the game that could have been, but will probably never be again.

Must agree P.9 where the best..   everything where good in swg,

*The crafting system, havent seen anything like it...... * * * * *

*PVP superfun, easy to change Templates * * * * *

*RPG    AWSOME........ thats it...         * * * * *

*Skillpoints instead of a chosen path, so much funnier... * * * * *

I miss it.. not a single MMORPG out there is half as fun as SWG where.

• This discussion is pretty much irrelevant anyway, since Lucas Arts would never allow SOE to do that.
  • NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

No, this game needs to die so someone who has a clue can take on the starwars MMO licence and make a real game.

SWG used to be very good, but now its so mixed up and buggy it shouldn't even be a retail product.  The only reason it's not quite died yet, is because Sony is their own publisher and are keeping it on life support.

• Pants52Pants52 Member Posts: 68
    Yes. If it would be like it did the first it came out...I would without a doubt

• Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218
    I'd go back for Pre-CU.  Preferrably the period between Dec. 2003 (swoops added and bugs fixed) and the implementation of the Village Jedi mill.  I had the most fun during the Imperial Crackdown.  Holocrons FTW.
  • sacreddaykilsacreddaykil Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 396

i would too, though i never played pre-cu or pre-nge, but its sounds really cool.

• Chase05Chase05 Member Posts: 113
    I would, it be nice to play the classic
  • zepearzepear Member Posts: 65
    I'd come back in a heartbeat. No MMOs can compare to PreNGE SWG.

"An army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of bullshit."
    General George S. Patton Jr.

• jasonharkenjasonharken Member Posts: 1

Count me in!

I would definately come back if they made a classic pre-CU server.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    after a rollback  to 26.04.2005 AND smedley fired AND devs who worship raph koster as god i would reconsider.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• KhorianKhorian Member Posts: 64
    I would probably, but it's more realistic to HOPE that the KOTOR MMO rumor is true.
  • redriverredriver Member Posts: 124
    I will come back but only if they make everybody to start from the beginnin' and no jedi.
  • allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by NasherUK

No, this game needs to die so someone who has a clue can take on the starwars MMO licence and make a real game.
    SWG used to be very good, but now its so mixed up and buggy it shouldn't even be a retail product.  The only reason it's not quite died yet, is because Sony is their own publisher and are keeping it on life support.

Lol Ok.

Many people stil playing, think the game is in great shape. Including me.

-Allegria