Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why would anyone buy CoH ?

reavoreavo Member Posts: 2,173

What's different between City of Villains and City of Heroes?  Does City of Villains have all the same features as City of Heroes does plus more? 

I'm confused why anyone would buy the old game when the new one is out?

Thanks

Comments

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

First off

COH and COV have diferent classes.

It is very much the same game with two sides , think of it as WOW that you can buy alliance or horde side game.

CoV is tiny bit better looking that CoH , but basically it is the same game.

One more thing , COH and COV often come bundled in shops for price of one game

p.s.

COH has slightly better community (in my oppinion)

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648
    I actually bought COH a bit after launch and then came back when COV came out.  I added the COV key to my COH account since its one monthly fee figuring to play the COV side much more often since its new content and classes etc and at the time better graphics but...  I've honestly spent very little time playing COV.  I7 updated the COH graphics to basically be on par with COV and the classes on the hero's side in my opinion are just more fun to play. 

Heres my take COV has two classes that I find interesting in the least, the brute kinda a cross between a tanker and a scrapper and pretty cool, and the corrupter high damage and way cool buffs/heals and control powers which is way overpowered atm so prolly fun to play in pvp(expect heavy nerfs in Issue 8 on this class.  The dominator ends up playing like a week blaster(low hit points weak ranged attacks and some controller abiilities but breakfrees nullify those abilities in pvp) and is rarely played.  Then you have the stalker which amounts to a series of 3 moves over and over(placate to disappear assasin strike and follow up rinse repeat) to me kinda dull and I've heard that they are less than fun to play in pve situations.  The mastermind gets pets you control which sounds great but when you have 6 pets running around you and your on a team it equates to chaos if there is more than one MM.

The hero's community is well established and a blast to be apart of and to me its more of a reason of adding COV so that you get the extra content on the hero's side such as the supergroup base and extra costume options.  The only knock right now for me on hero's is the fact that it can be tough to find tankers due to the fact that the brute on the villains side is just more fun to play, this is a problem because fast lvling on invinc. lvl requires a tanker for the most part.  We always find a tank it just takes a bit more time than say a scrapper which the teams my friends and I form usually have 3 of. 

If you decide to play on the hero's side more(many played the villains side heavily after launch but have migrated back to hero's side frequently from my experience).  Heres a good team build for quick lvling since it sounds like you might be interested in the game. 

2 tanks(if you can't find a second tank another defender works well also)
    3 scrappers
    1 defender
    2 controllers

This team can tear through missions if you have knowledgable players in each role.  Anyway if you plan on playing either side of the game its worth getting both games even if you just casually play the other side like I do.  One monthly fee and alot more content to explore.  My opinion might be a bit slanted toward COH because I run the Super group I play and have alot of time iinvested in keeping the members up and the group and base rolling.

Hope this helps

Peace

• MastermartzMastermartz Member Posts: 255
    I play CoH just because I enjoy being the good guy...however I can't stand PvP anymore, Stalkers make me so angry I just leave the zone. IMO stalkers need to be nurfed badly in 1 v 1 PvP there invincible. If they dont hide...they placate you. The only way to beat stalkers is if you buff yourself with like 20 enhancments. I've seen stalkers take on 2 ppl at a time its ridiculous. I HATE STALKERS
  • DionyseusDionyseus Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Mastermartz
    I play CoH just because I enjoy being the good guy...however I can't stand PvP anymore, Stalkers make me so angry I just leave the zone. IMO stalkers need to be nurfed badly in 1 v 1 PvP there invincible. If they dont hide...they placate you. The only way to beat stalkers is if you buff yourself with like 20 enhancments. I've seen stalkers take on 2 ppl at a time its ridiculous. I HATE STALKERS

Are stalkers even more invincible than illusionists?  I remember back in Issue 5 Illusionists were unstoppable in arena. 

I think he has a valid point, stalkers and corrupters are too powerful  atm.  From personal experience I can say I've been on both the side that gets destoryed by stalkers(blasters) and the side that hunts them(scrappers) and its hard for me to win either way.  If your a blaster and don't buy the IR goggles enhancement you can forget it because the assassin strike takes basically all but a hits worth of hp and you don't have time to get away.  On the other side I'm single o'd out 35 scrapper and I still have trouble finishing off the stalker before they placate mainly because even with my moves slotted for accuracy I have trouble hitting them often enough  to keep them from placating and getting away, I've gotten to the point I go into SIrens call I go in and buy IR googles and stealth and if I can't buy the stuff I just leave til the hero's have the ability to.

Stalkers by themselves as a scrapper aren't too bad but I've noticed since they can't assassin strike my scapper to one hit point they move in twos and  do the strike at nearly the same point which can result in death even for me.  I see I8 making it much more difficult for stalkers to placate right in front of a bunch of heros' as it should be, they should at least have to put a bit of distance between the hero and themselves.  I will say that with IR goggles on even when the stalker placates you can follow them even though you can't target them.  I usually superjump behind them til I see them set up for another strike on someone and as they do I land right behind them put fear on them use my heal drain to lower there acc.  and soul drain to power up my acc. then unload and that works pretty well but again requires them to by sidetracked by a different oppoent.

The corruptor is bad IMO because the moves they use can't be broke out of, whereas a dominator's moves allow you to breakfree the corruptor stuff is a bit different.  You get stuck able to sort to move in place.  I'm almost to the point of avoiding the corruptors with my scrapper and I already avoid the stalker with my blaster.  Alone they can be taken down if you land right beside them and get a hold on them like fear.  They don't have anything to combat a full on assult if you can close the distance at least but still a bit over power IMO.

I see both of those classes getting nerfed pretty hard by I8 and the expansion pack.  I think mainly the problem is the hero's have been nerfed over and over in the name of balance and the villains haven't received the treatment yet since basically they've only had I7 affect them and it wasn't enough in the way of balance.
    Wait it out and I have a feeling in the coming months the two sides will be balanced since NC soft loves to nerf and the hero's have had it done to them to death its only a matter of time before the villains taste the mighty nerf patch lol.

Peace

• grinreapergrinreaper Member Posts: 507
    Ill controlers are still the kings of 1v1 Pvp...Ill/Storm is unstoppable. My Stalker is a lowbie, but frankly, there are almost too many anti stalker tools in PvP. If it wasnt for guys like MM (no offense), I dont think Stalkers would get any kills. They certainly get owned in RV...which is payback for their domination of BB, I guess.
    Just wait they have all  the advantages in Sirens Call since they have the 3 things they need placate/assassin strike/insert any attack here, by lvl 30 where as many builds don't come into their own til long after 30.  From my point of view Trollers are no more powerful than corrupters since they can hold enemies in stuff you can't break out of plus have blaster type attacks that are just as strong as a blaster IMO.  Stalkers aren't the end all be all but the fact they can disappear right in front of you they make the life of a blaster/defender a living hell, if you don't believe me consider this, I can take my 50 blaster single O/Hami O'd out into sirens and be thrashed by the stalkers if I can't get access to IR googles.  Even with my 50 enhances and extra slots I still can be 2 shotted by a stalker there, thats to much damage in my opinion. 

Put a stalker in Sirens one on one against a blaster/defender/ and a scrapper if you don't know how to handle them and they will come out on top due mainly to the fact if you are losing you slmply placate and run go around the block and repeat the assassin strike.  That move will be nerfed to some degree I can gurantee, if you don't believe me I used to be able to one shot enemies with my snipe on my blaster but now it barely takes half health if I'm lucky.  The villains are in for the same nerfs that the heros have been through for 7 issues, the villains have only seen one.

The other fact to consider is that stalkers move in packs most of the time to overcome the fact that they can't one shot they just time the assassin strike so one goes off slightly after the first thereby finishing the enemy off and yup that still works in recluse's victory.

I have no complaints with the brutes who I would consider one of teh strongest in pvp if played correctly and I honestly think the dominators are as weak as the defenders in pvp.  People just tire of the same 3 moves over and over which wiith any other build doesn't work but for a stalker can lead to mulitple kills and decent success.
    If you think stalkers aren't any good for pvp you aren't selecting your targets correctly, don't try for a tank just as I rarely try for a brute on my own(although I have killed a few brutes with my scrapper on my own when they played the battle wrong) if you want to kill a scrapper remeber you have about as much staying power as a blaster with one major difference stalkers who are single O'd can be sooooo hard to even hit even when you are slotted for acc. with single O's I find myself missing 2 out of 3 hits many times so even though I can take a shit load more damage than the stalker it makes little difference if I can't hit him.  If you want success play how most stallkers play and two shot blasters and defenders but remember the fact you can do that and even when you are revealed a blaster can't do the same to you, will lead to the nerfs that are to come.

I would agree though when I first was pvping I was using my blaster and thought that the stalkers were unstoppable, but now seeing things from a different angle I can honestly say the corrupters will receive the most severe nerfs in I8, and you are right to a certain degree stalkers aren't the end all be alls but they do rank number 2 on the villain side just as scrappers rank number 2 on the hero side.

Peace

Right now i am building Mental/Energy Dominator , from PVE perspective this guy looks damn powerfull

He has lot of holds + lot of blaster damage. I am still not around PVP and i hear DOMs are the underdogs although as i said I really can not see why ?

Anyway you talk about this ultra powerful PVP Corruptor , what build would that be ?

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

The reason the dominator is low man on the villain side pvp wise is one thing, break frees.  All pvp'ers carry at least a few breakfrees at all times and the dominator powers can all be broke out of, now the enemy is free and you have to go toe to toe with them, here comes the second knock, the dominator is like a weak blaster damage wise when you take away their holds.  Heres how that makes them less than choice, the blaster is supposedly the king of damage on the hero side but my snipe which is a charge move and must be done at distance unless I want it to be interupted only does maybe 50 percent of your health bar damage on most targets.  Dominators can't even do that on a hit.  You can't take the damage output that you do in pve mainly because they are two very different things.

The hero's you will face such as scrappers and especially tankers as well as the epic classes have resistances to energy types of damage.  So that equals even less damage on your part.  The way the battle plays out in PVE is not really a measure of your pvp success.  So for example say you come across a dark regen scrapper(I use this because I pvp with mine frequently) you start the fight and hit me with your strongest hold, I break free and have a 30 second or more window where holds don't work due to how the breakfree inspires work.  Now you're face to face with damage dealer that has more defense than you so you have to kill me as quickly as possible, problem is you won't be able to deal enough damage to do that.  Once I am out  of the breakfree I turn on my recover health power which means my health is regeneratoring at a faster rate than you can take it away(I am a regen scrapper after all) I move in on you and slap fear on you and while you try to escape I use soul drain which shoots my damage and acc. through the roof.  I use my dark tencles move which hits hard and once again holds and then use my 3 dark damage moves which in my battles with dominators is enough to finish the battle if you aren't spamming greens.

Scrappers seek dominators just as stalkers seek blasters for easy one on one kills, and thats kinda how it works.  With your holds being nullified by breakfree's you become a sort of weak blaster.  Now to which corrupter build to pick can't help you but I can tell you why they have success.  The corrupter damage output is superior per shot than yours, they damage like a blaster.  The other difference they have is that you can't break out of their powers due to the fact that they general put area affects stuff that makes you move really slow but doesn't really hold by definition which is why breakfrees are useless against them.  The min you enter into one of their effects they can unload with blaster type damage that is on a enemy with weakened defense and who can't dodge due to the effects they have created.

Hope this helps,

Peace

So basically Corruptors do the Kiting technique in PVP ?

As for Dominator - Is there nothing that can counter break free for 30 secs after activation?

I think i read that knocking down a char breaks this effect ?

Corruptor=TankMage

good heals/debuffs combined with Blaster lite/offender type dps.

Placate wont get the nerfbat because castle and the boys dont look at 1v1 pvp...they look at group pvp. Things like phase shift got hammered because you could netrulize a whole group with it...placate is single target...so while it sucks for you, your groupmates will reduce the stalker to a thick yellow spray.

Mark my words, next on the block is TP other...oh so abuseable in group play, including the worst one...'TP into angry NPC group for the debt'.

Breakfrees are inspires that break you out of anything and leave you immune to any other holds for 30 second to more if you use a better version of inspire.  Not sure whether or not you can break the effect but most carry at least 3 so doesn't make much difference, also not sure if dominators even have knockdown moves.  The breakfree is the counter to the hold, so for a dominator to be viable they have to hold and run til the timer runs out on the protection, hold again and repeat til the person is out of breakfrees or they give up.

Yeah I see the TP other getting nerfed range wise to the point you can't exploit it in Sirens and the like.  I can see some sort of distance requirement put on Placate though I agree it won't be hit to hard, if anything the assassin strike much like the snipe will be hit hard.  Snipe used to drain a target to damn near nothing now it does maybe 50 percent.  The stalker is the same type of build other than the obvious close vs distance strategy as a blaster so likelyhood is enough complaints will come in that it will no longer take 99 percent of a soft targets health and more in the neighborhood of 50 percent of the targets health.  Like I said I see the corrupter getting put on the nerf chopping block next, and anyone who has ever played a tank can attest to the fact that dominance gets nullified in one way or another.

Peace

Originally posted by treysmooth

Breakfrees are inspires that break you out of anything and leave you immune to any other holds for 30 second to more if you use a better version of inspire.  Not sure whether or not you can break the effect but most carry at least 3 so doesn't make much difference, also not sure if dominators even have knockdown moves.  The breakfree is the counter to the hold, so for a dominator to be viable they have to hold and run til the timer runs out on the protection, hold again and repeat til the person is out of breakfrees or they give up.

Mental Dom has excelent knockback move = Levitate.
    It holds a target in air for few seconds and than drops them on the ground knocking them down. It is also fast recharging move.