Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question integrity of those screens

RamsieRamsie Member UncommonPosts: 51

As much as I hate calling out a fake, I have too.

Those screens are not legit. Big World uses a height map as its terrain, and can not handle overhangs unless they are oibjects imported and placed. The scale at which those cliffs are shown is far beyond anything that is functional in a game world.

I know the shots are their "Target" but I really have a problem when people are sold a photoshop image as a "screenshot"

I do hope the game progresses nicely, the MMO space needs more Modern?Sci-Fi games.

Comments

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

I was wondering about those. Looks like they just smashed together some photo pieces and a little 3D, to be honest.

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• cdeepalcdeepal Member UncommonPosts: 148

Heh, by showing just a bunch of computer generated screenshots, what do they expect?

Do they think that current MMORPG players would blindly anticipate a game by just looking at a couple of unlively screenshots?

They remind me of cut-scenes from action games or strategy games. They always look better than the game itself.

To tell you the truth, I am not at all excited.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Originally posted by cdeepal

Heh, by showing just a bunch of computer generated screenshots, what do they expect?
    Do they think that current MMORPG players would blindly anticipate a game by just looking at a couple of unlively screenshots?
    They remind me of cut-scenes from action games or strategy games. They always look better than the game itself.
    To tell you the truth, I am not at all excited.

lol

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GunFodderGunFodder Member Posts: 28
    On the company's website, they have those same pictures listed as "concept art"...whoever submitted them to mmorpg.com called them screenshots, not the game's company. Mystery solved.

• RamsieRamsie Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Right on, glad to hear its not a snow job. The pics themselves are very nice looking, so if thats a target iage, its quite a target to achieve and a nice style :)
  • GunFodderGunFodder Member Posts: 28
    Here's and interesting find, from the company's website, http://www.stainglassllama.com/, following the "potential investors" link:

"All we're looking for in the way of investment is a one-time sum of $3.5 million for an unheard of two-year development period which was once thought an impossible amount of time to develop an mmorpg with, however the engine we've chosen to go with called Bigworld [ww.bigworldtech.com] will shave years of time and costs off our project at the cost of $750,000.00 up front. This figure is a semi-rough and all inclusive estimate comprising everything from business startup, a public studio front, our engine, workstations, bandwidth, advertising, materials and of course, staff. "

So, I went to Bigworld's site, and here a list of games and pictures from that engine:

http://www.bigworldtech.com/games/index.php

I hope this gives you a better idea of the engine's capabilities. Funny coincidence, turns out these guys are only an hour away from me, located in Mattoon, IL! Too bad I just started my education in "Video Game Design". Huh, I wonder if they'll need an office gopher?

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Originally posted by GunFodder
    Here's and interesting find, from the company's website, http://www.stainglassllama.com/, following the "potential investors" link:

"All we're looking for in the way of investment is a one-time sum of $3.5 million for an unheard of two-year development period which was once thought an impossible amount of time to develop an mmorpg with, however the engine we've chosen to go with called Bigworld [ww.bigworldtech.com] will shave years of time and costs off our project at the cost of $750,000.00 up front. This figure is a semi-rough and all inclusive estimate comprising everything from business startup, a public studio front, our engine, workstations, bandwidth, advertising, materials and of course, staff. "

So, I went to Bigworld's site, and here a list of games and pictures from that engine:

http://www.bigworldtech.com/games/index.php

I hope this gives you a better idea of the engine's capabilities. Funny coincidence, turns out these guys are only an hour away from me, located in Mattoon, IL! Too bad I just started my education in "Video Game Design". Huh, I wonder if they'll need an office gopher?

DnL......

/Sits in the shower sobbing and scrubs self down with lava soap

Must wash off taint!

I really hope this game works, I mean who would'nt?  But I am very skeptical that they can pull this off...

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• EthanCEthanC Member UncommonPosts: 56

Originally posted by Ramsie

As much as I hate calling out a fake, I have too.
    Those screens are not legit. Big World uses a height map as its terrain, and can not handle overhangs unless they are oibjects imported and placed. The scale at which those cliffs are shown is far beyond anything that is functional in a game world.
    I know the shots are their "Target" but I really have a problem when people are sold a photoshop image as a "screenshot"
    I do hope the game progresses nicely, the MMO space needs more Modern?Sci-Fi games.

Heya.

I've just spent the last hour answering a literal barrage of emails from our official site and trying to patch up a few holes. I have to say that I never expected this many people [130 people in less than 2 hours of being live] to take interest in our game so early in development.

Also about those screens.

No, they are not Bigworld screenshots.

Our NDA with Microforte prohibits going into detail however I will remind you that Bigworld is more than just a graphics engine with a "cool glowy" effect. What appealed to us more than anything was actually Bigworld Servers capacity for huge numbers of simultaneous connections with virtually no latency, as well as it's load balancing capabilities.

This is all info one can scavence from Bigworlds website, however I remind you that Dark and Light happens to be a "Bigworld" mmorpg, though they use only bigworlds server platform and not it's graphics [sadly - that game looks like playdough :/]

The posted screens are from another engine that we're evaluating which happens to allow public displays however I am not at liberty to discuss anything further.

I think they look damn good but realize that in order to get that level of photorealism, one would need around two thousands dollars worth of PC, and the graphics cranked to what we like to call "Holy Hell".

Clip plane maxed.

Everything Maxed for that matter.

However, they do look damn good, and at the time [given there were no player character models] the computer taking them with a 256 radeon x1600 was getting a nice framerate.

Also those images were chopped down in photoshop to 4:3 in compliance with mainstream mmorpg.com usage. The originals are in 16:10 which looks even better.

LOD is God in mmorpgs I'm finding out.

Anyways, sorry for the confusion but I hope that helps to clear things up a little. We hope to see you guys on our crappy little website helping build a game that will truly be something unique in a sea of unoriginality.

-EthanC

Stainglass Llama Dev Team

www.divergence-online.com

www.Divergence-Online.com

• LytaLyta Member Posts: 12

I like everything I see and hear about this game. I actually wouldn't care if thoose were photoshop stuff, its the lvl of thought put behind the system that thrills me so much!

yes, I'm an swg exile, and seing someone wanting to carry on that spirit of "freedom to choose" is fantastic! I hope you get the right investors so you can really pack up your team with talented ppl that can make this happen!

• dorkirtdorkirt Member Posts: 2

• zipitzipit Member Posts: 487

And the SWG Exiles/Refugees just keep coming in. Yeap, I'm also a SWG Refugee and I'm looking very forward to this game as well. The art images are nice, but what REALLY would make me interested is an epic storyline and for God's sake!! - No major and omnipresent bugs-  *cough* SOE *cough*

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

Originally posted by EThanC
    Heya.
    I've just spent the last hour answering a literal barrage of emails from our official site and trying to patch up a few holes. I have to say that I never expected this many people [130 people in less than 2 hours of being live] to take interest in our game so early in development.
    Also about those screens.
    No, they are not Bigworld screenshots.
    Our NDA with Microforte prohibits going into detail however I will remind you that Bigworld is more than just a graphics engine with a "cool glowy" effect. What appealed to us more than anything was actually Bigworld Servers capacity for huge numbers of simultaneous connections with virtually no latency, as well as it's load balancing capabilities.
    This is all info one can scavence from Bigworlds website, however I remind you that Dark and Light happens to be a "Bigworld" mmorpg, though they use only bigworlds server platform and not it's graphics [sadly - that game looks like playdough :/]
    The posted screens are from another engine that we're evaluating which happens to allow public displays however I am not at liberty to discuss anything further.
    I think they look damn good but realize that in order to get that level of photorealism, one would need around two thousands dollars worth of PC, and the graphics cranked to what we like to call "Holy Hell".
    Clip plane maxed.
    Everything Maxed for that matter.
    However, they do look damn good, and at the time [given there were no player character models] the computer taking them with a 256 radeon x1600 was getting a nice framerate.
    Also those images were chopped down in photoshop to 4:3 in compliance with mainstream mmorpg.com usage. The originals are in 16:10 which looks even better.
    LOD is God in mmorpgs I'm finding out.
    Anyways, sorry for the confusion but I hope that helps to clear things up a little. We hope to see you guys on our crappy little website helping build a game that will truly be something unique in a sea of unoriginality.
    -EthanC
    Stainglass Llama Dev Team
    www.divergence-online.com

welcome to mmorpg ethanc. here you'll find TONS of people who put alot of faith into their games only to be continually disappointed by them. you guys actually pull this off, and you'll have a home run on your hands.
    best of luck, and keep your comunication lines OPEN.

• phennexionphennexion Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by dorkirt

Why do you use Renders made by other ppl to use as concept art for your game?
     Vue Infinite . www.e-onsoftware.com
    You say what this is your "concept art" ingame or whatever:
    http://images.mmorpg.com/images/screenshots/082006/8339.jpg
    And i see this image from the e-onsoftware Vue Infinite 5 Overview page:
    http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_5_infinite/images/CerroVerde.jpg
     Uppper side in the right. you can see the original image.  Is the same image except switched horinzotally and with Phothoshop HDR.

Please Explain us, it can be my fault.

/owned.

Stolen/Edited images FTL.

Uppper side in the right. you can see the original image.  Is the same image except switched horinzotally and with Phothoshop HDR.

bs all along

SWG Bloodfin vet

• phennexionphennexion Member Posts: 63

I don't think you realize it tillamook.

But obviously this isn't even really a game making company, they don't even have a company website, no prior games created. And a bunch of drawings and ripped pictures.

3.5million and 2 years to make an MMORPG like that is just absurd. If anything this is another DnL.

Originally posted by phennexion

I don't think you realize it tillamook.
    But obviously this isn't even really a game making company, they don't even have a company website, no prior games created. And a bunch of drawings and ripped pictures.
    3.5million and 2 years to make an MMORPG like that is just absurd. If anything this is another DnL.

Maybe but I've played a lot of games made by fly-by-night companies that maybe had crappy graphics, but ended up being fun. I've also played lots of games made by big companies that looked beautiful graphically but sucked badly content wise. The customers make the call on that. Besides what is success based on now? Having 100k players? 5 million?

If I remember SWG was announced as being over the top and it ended up not launching to some players expectations but suited most. That happens to most games. The investors and deadlines are mostly to blame. 

Who knows what the future holds for this title if any. It’s ambitious and it’s definitely worth keeping an eye on since there are so few Sci-Fi games that aren’t made for Asian internet cafes. It was just announced yesterday. If it’s a bust then whatever, I still have like 6 other games I'm watching, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• tristantristan Member UncommonPosts: 13

It's obvious it's too soon to decide if the game is or not going to be "the game".

Obviously, if you use a graphics engine just to see landscape, you can get that kind of screens, but they still haven't added characters and creatures. That will reduce the quality if they want the average gamer to be able to play this game (I doubt we all can pay more than 2k $ in our computer).

Let's give them a change, we will see more screenshots in the future. Just by now, they have got my atention, and I have added this game to my favourites to keep track of its development.

It's really nice to have a new option, specially in sci-fi genre.

• EthanCEthanC Member UncommonPosts: 56

Originally posted by tillamook

Why even question this so early in development? I assume it is just a example of an engine they are looking at. A concept of the look and feel they want to shoot for with their game. I’ve seen tons of conceptual game art, screen shots of places, things ect ect that never made an appearance in the final product. Consider it like a story board for a movie. Take Star Wars movies for example. Set designers went way over the top with conceptual pictures that differed from what ended up being put in to the movies. No one ever says, that’s a fake, or you stole that picture from a website.

Because people look for any reason to be negative.

Vue5 is one of a dozen programs we use to chuck out content, and it happens to be the drug of choice for heightmaps because as I've stated, I an prohibited [by law mind you] from publically displaying images that we do not own rights for, and for lack of a better phrase, the check hasn't cleared for Bigworld yet.

Things change every day. Anyone in the gaming industry or even just those who follow games know that.

Today I was woken up by a phone call from a contact in the business who just bought Industrial Light and Magic... Not it's service, but the company. A press release is slated for this week.

They're also the company whom are handling our motion capture for most of the animations in our game. Maybe they can cut us a better deal on ingame content? Maybe not? Then I got in touch with the guys who did America's Army who once again are in the business of doing engine and 3d work now.

The fact is that although we value subscriber and potential subscriber feedback more than anything at this point, neither I nor anyone on the team have the energy to entertain a public forum which in all likelyhood could be commrpised largely of plants paid by other company, nor do I really want to split my time between two website.

A ton of people hit our site last night and it's almost working at capacity already, therefore I encourage discussion and controvery as these are two main factors I believe will help us in the long run, we won't be regularly checking and/or posting on these forums.

You guys are more than welcome to come on down to our broken little website www.divergence-online.com [while we're still working on it] and your concerns and wishes will be met.

www.Divergence-Online.com

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

Because people look for any reason to be negative.

Vue5 is one of a dozen programs we use to chuck out content, and it happens to be the drug of choice for heightmaps because as I've stated, I an prohibited [by law mind you] from publically displaying images that we do not own rights for, and for lack of a better phrase, the check hasn't cleared for Bigworld yet.

Things change every day. Anyone in the gaming industry or even just those who follow games know that.

Today I was woken up by a phone call from a contact in the business who just bought Industrial Light and Magic... Not it's service, but the company. A press release is slated for this week.

They're also the company whom are handling our motion capture for most of the animations in our game. Maybe they can cut us a better deal on ingame content? Maybe not? Then I got in touch with the guys who did America's Army who once again are in the business of doing engine and 3d work now.

The fact is that although we value subscriber and potential subscriber feedback more than anything at this point, neither I nor anyone on the team have the energy to entertain a public forum which in all likelyhood could be commrpised largely of plants paid by other company, nor do I really want to split my time between two website.

A ton of people hit our site last night and it's almost working at capacity already, therefore I encourage discussion and controvery as these are two main factors I believe will help us in the long run, we won't be regularly checking and/or posting on these forums.

You guys are more than welcome to come on down to our broken little website www.divergence-online.com [while we're still working on it] and your concerns and wishes will be met.

excuse me ?

• GM-FStevensGM-FStevens Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by xxthecorexx

excuse me ?

Our buddy spent alot of yesterday touring the facility. Really exciting stuff from their standpoint.

Our buddy spent alot of yesterday touring the facility. Really exciting stuff from their standpoint.
  • GM-FStevensGM-FStevens Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by zipit

And the SWG Exiles/Refugees just keep coming in. Yeap, I'm also a SWG Refugee and I'm looking very forward to this game as well. The art images are nice, but what REALLY would make me interested is an epic storyline and for God's sake!! - No major and omnipresent bugs-  *cough* SOE *cough*

Oh there will be bugs.

Bugs like you've never seen!!!

But seriously though, everything that's either in or going to be in our game has a value system attached to it.

Player Suggestions - Cost + Payoff / complexity of integration.

Plus if we do license the engine we want (cough not supposed to talk about it) that basically means there is an entire company out there dedicated to doing nothing but working on the engine itself and removing any possible bugs.

At least, that's how they've worded it to us.

But our evaluation of it ended some time ago and had zero bugs so far with obviously only a rudimentary combat system, chat and so on.

Regardless of which engine the company decides on [multiverse is looking better by the minute actually] I think we're all in agreement that there's no way it could be worse per say than swg. Even in Alpha state right now the structure can support exponentially more people than swgs engine, with gravity and about one hundred other features that will make you crap your pants. At least that was the reaction I had.

We're actually considering the legal ramifications of making our official slogan being "Better than SWG since 2006".

Everything is up in the air.

• FlatfingersFlatfingers Member Posts: 114

I don't know if this is what's meant, but Variety reported in June that the digital effects department of ILM was picking up so much work that the physical production unit (models and such) didn't have enough to do. So the physical unit (to be renamed Kerner Optical after its San Rafael location) was sold to Mark Anderson, a model maker who worked at ILM for more than 15 years.

I suspect we're hearing about it again now because the deal took 60 days to finalize.

--Flatfingers

Originally posted by tillamook

Why even question this so early in development? I assume it is just a example of an engine they are looking at. A concept of the look and feel they want to shoot for with their game. I’ve seen tons of conceptual game art, screen shots of places, things ect ect that never made an appearance in the final product. Consider it like a story board for a movie. Take Star Wars movies for example. Set designers went way over the top with conceptual pictures that differed from what ended up being put in to the movies. No one ever says, that’s a fake, or you stole that picture from a website.

Already there. I was one of the first 50 people to register.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• DeletedAcctDeletedAcct Member Posts: 883

[quote]Originally posted by xxthecorexx
    [b]

a contact in the business who just bought Industrial Light and Magic... Not it's service, but the company. A press release is slated for this week.

Cool, I'll be doing some stock trades now. Thanks for the info. By the way, hope this buyout has already been announced somewhere if it's true, otherwise you and your friend are going to have one helluva lawsuit for disclosure.

• dorkirtdorkirt Member Posts: 2

Ok,  still it is soon for distrusting. It's true, you said what it was Concept art from an engine....( i really have my doubts of use and engine like this in real time) Anyways , sorry for this . But nobody want fakes or another DnL. Edited my last post.

Regards