Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gods and Heroes: Dev Profile: Mike Hines

DanaDana Halifax, NSPosts: 2,415Member

Garrett Fuller has started a series of developer profile interviews. Each Thursday, we'll bring you a new one. Here is our second, with the Art Director of Gods and Heroes Mike Hines. The aim is to provide people with the human face of gaming, what they do and how they got there.

image Various influences can have a major part in games. What influences outside of game-play bring life to your work? Any ideas that you get from Books, Movies, Comics, Real-Life Stories, Art would be great here.

Mike Hines: Tons.

I love to read, although I don’t get to enough these days. I find that reading does incredible things for my visual imagination, as I’m sure it does for most people. I always experience vivid imagery while reading, and remember it like a movie. Sci-fi and Fantasy (generally my reading junk-food) provide a massive library of visual images for the games I’ve worked on.

I always have been an art history fan. My personal art interests are pretty classical/traditional. I love late 19th and early 20th century painting/drawing. The post-impressionists, symbolists, pre-raphaelites, luminists, futurists, and a number of others. Much of this work has actually influenced Gods and Heroes, my current project, as well as my personal art.

You can read the full interview here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• Jason044Jason044 Dublin, CAPosts: 1Member
     Mike Hines rocks! I learned a lot from him in my time at Perpetual. He is the type of guy you want to work for. I always looked forward to having my work critiqued by Mike because he was able to give direction and feedback in a non-critical yet motivational way which inspired both confidence and a desire to achieve the look he was asking for. Leadership is a skill rarely found in artists (so far as I've found anyway) and yet I didn't meet anyone in the year and a half I worked there that had anything but good things to say about him.