Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Auto-Aim

DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Can anyone give me details on the auto aim feature please?

I read somewhere that it takes 3 clicks to activate.

Can that be macroed?

Does it work like tab-targetting used to?

etc... :)

Thanks.

Comments

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

How many clicks to make it work depends on how you set up your keymap.  If you only want target lock and auto-fire and never have to worry about the manual aiming I think this should work:

Set Target lock to X (or whatever), Set intended target w/ Radial menu to right click and set auto-attack to left click.

With this, you turn on target lock with X (this will never turn off unless you press X again).  You then can right click your target to select them (or you can use tab).  To start attacking, all you do is left click.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Thanks Obraik.
  • maxantomaxanto Member Posts: 778

Originally posted by Obraik

How many clicks to make it work depends on how you set up your keymap.  If you only want target lock and auto-fire and never have to worry about the manual aiming I think this should work:
    Set Target lock to X (or whatever), Set intended target w/ Radial menu to right click and set auto-attack to left click.
    With this, you turn on target lock with X (this will never turn off unless you press X again).  You then can right click your target to select them (or you can use tab).  To start attacking, all you do is left click.

I am glad they finally re-added this back. This was one reason why I left... One of many but an important one!
  • SODAofBRIASODAofBRIA Member Posts: 351

Yeah thats a big reason why I left also. The NGE targetting made it a total pain in the ass to fire your specials.

It seems like the auto-target is more complex than it needs to be now though.

Love, Sodapop

I dunno soda, it sounds like its a one time setup (key map) I think OB was just demonstrating how he did it... Yea I agree with you this will make it a lot easier to play instead of having to left click a million times a second if u want to fight something... I think this will help tons!

• duncan_922duncan_922 Member Posts: 1,670
    So oficially... how long did it take for them to realize it was a mistake removing it and the NGE targetting feature sucked???   10 months???  That's not so bad!!!   By those numbers we should be getting pre-cu back by 2010!  

SOE knows what you like... You don't!
    And don't forget... I am forcing you to read this!

• KenshuAniKenshuAni Member CommonPosts: 851

Originally posted by duncan_922
    So oficially... how long did it take for them to realize it was a mistake removing it and the NGE targetting feature sucked???   10 months???  That's not so bad!!!   By those numbers we should be getting pre-cu back by 2010!  

Nah, it was less than 10 months.  Helios finally posted about considering changing targeting on 6/22/06.

Clicky

So it only took them 7 months since the launce of the NGE...

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961
    Hey, improvement.

This was all well and done right up until NGE.

Then its gone for 7-10 months.

Then it's brought back.

Now it takes 3 clicks to activate, and you have what, 5 specials to choose from?

This. Is. Pathetic.

While all other games aim for simplifications of interface, SWG goes on a crusade to provide worst possible user experience. And to top it off, I hear it's even tied to the ~ key. What happens to the radial? And why even bother doing something like that?

• blondehblondeh Member UncommonPosts: 540

All i have to say is.

This chapter rocks. Cnet was busy. Loads of pvp. Auto aim rocks

I aint had this much fun in ages

Originally posted by blondeh

All i have to say is.

Ugh I might have to re-sub and check it out... god I do not look forward to the re-install though. Do you have a BH or Jedi? If so how is that expertise system?

Originally posted by Rekrul
    Hey, improvement.

This was all well and done right up until NGE.

Then its gone for 7-10 months.

Then it's brought back.

Now it takes 3 clicks to activate, and you have what, 5 specials to choose from?

This. Is. Pathetic.

While all other games aim for simplifications of interface, SWG goes on a crusade to provide worst possible user experience. And to top it off, I hear it's even tied to the ~ key. What happens to the radial? And why even bother doing something like that?

Keymapping FTW. Or did you know that you can change the control keys to be anything you like?
  • OuchmuchOuchmuch Member Posts: 340

Here is a config I use as a lefty..

Welcome to the world of the lefthanded.. I am so used to having to remap my entire keyboard settings with every game it's second nature so here is what I have done to ease the load on the limbs

Left mouse = Auto fire

middle mouse = set Target

Right mouse = fire selected special (just never bothered to change it lol)

On the Keyboard I remapped movement to the Numberpad arrows then setup the keys around them to fire specials, I then placed my most commonly used specials in the easiest to reach key..

EG. numberpad7 = slot 1 on the toolbar

numberpad9 = slot 2.. and so on

this config allows for good movement and specials at the fingertips. From there it was just a matter of memorizing the config and making it standard for all my toons... like the HEAL is always fired from the same key no matter what toon I am using...

I always have the auto aim and target lock options toggled on

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Do you have to manually aim your cursor to initially aquire every target? From what I am reading you can set tab to target the closest mob again I am hoping?

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• OuchmuchOuchmuch Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by Fadeus

Do you have to manually aim your cursor to initially aquire every target? From what I am reading you can set tab to target the closest mob again I am hoping?

Yes TAB targeting is functioning again

Originally posted by maxanto

Keymapping FTW. Or did you know that you can change the control keys to be anything you like?

Yes.

But why would any sane developer even consider doing something like that. Why provide out of box functionality in such a way.

Targeting isn't a feature. It's not an addition. It's not a publish or enhancement.

It's something that not a single developer out there spends 2 seconds on, since this was solved and is a done deal.

WASD/mouse is movement.
    space is jump.
    tab is targeting.
    click is targeting.
    number or function keys are specials/weapons/actions

It's somewhat ironic, that product still go into beta with different interfaces. And first thing they need to do, is provide the standard WASD control scheme, since that is the very first complaint.

It's not about whether it's good or not. It's about the same reason why everyone uses QWERTY keyboard layout and not Dvorak.

SOE <----- very big distance ------> customer

YES! I take back what I said this morning. However I don't take back what I said last night, mwahahaha! ::::40::

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by blondeh

All i have to say is.

Ugh I might have to re-sub and check it out... god I do not look forward to the re-install though. Do you have a BH or Jedi? If so how is that expertise system?

I have tab to cylce between targets, and once i have my target selceted i use mouse 2 to engage and auto fire then just spam my specials.

I'm an Elder Jedi and BH. Both expertise trees are cool. Not like what we used to have. Bh is alot of fun and i havent lost to A jedi yet. But then I am a pink fat mon cal in mando armour lol

At this moment in time I'm with 8 guildies and we are figthing off the imps at the rebel camp on Corellia. Its alot of fun. Before this me and another BH went to check the base out on Talus it was swarming with Imps. 10 of them at least attacked us we managed to kill 3 :D

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,112

My post got deleted. Guess they didn’t like my critique of the “NGE Auto Aim Feature ™”

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Is auto attack back where you don't have to depress and HOLD a button to attack til something is dead?

I want to make my A button auto attack again and my tab key to toggle nearest mob. Possible?

- Scaris

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Originally posted by tillamook

My post got deleted. Guess they didn’t like my critique of the “NGE Auto Aim Feature ™”

The tab key worked fine.

So did the UI, so did the game for that matter...

10 steps forward 265 back.

Yup your constant trolling keeps these mods at work night and day. You should be proud.

The more and more I read this thread the more and more I feel like re-subbing. God help me.
  • KenshuAniKenshuAni Member CommonPosts: 851

The more and more I read this thread the more and more I feel like re-subbing. God help me.

The craptastic combat that was introduced with the NGE was the second biggest reason for why I quit, and the biggest reason why I stopped playing SWG 3 days into my 15 day free trial.  It didn't help that at the time of my free trial, the devs kept stating that a target lock would not be coming back.

So, I understand why you are tempted into resubbing.

Originally posted by Fadeus

Is auto attack back where you don't have to depress and HOLD a button to attack til something is dead?
    I want to make my A button auto attack again and my tab key to toggle nearest mob. Possible?

Yes auto attack is back. U do not need to aim or keep your finger pressed on mouse1

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Yup your constant trolling keeps these mods at work night and day. You should be proud.

Desperate people do desperate things..lol

Just think of your loss for a while or look at screen shots.. that does it for me pretty fast.   Once you log in and see your friends list empty then it's to late.

If you just think of all the things they did to you in the past until now you will then feel better...lol

A little common sense to maybe heh.

The most ironic part here is of course, tons of people being overjoyed with the new and improved combat.

Or better yet, a poor reimplementation (they didn't change the UI skin, did they?) of a system that worked from launch till NGE.