Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a new game

Hey there.  I'm new to this site, but this seemed to be the best place to pose my question.  I need a new game.  I have an account on FFXI, and I've taken beastmaster to 75 and smithing skill to 98.9.  This won't mean crap to anyone who hasn't played before, but beastmaster is a job that doesn't require any grouping, which is why I opened the job in the first place.  Smithing is, as you might have guessed, part of the crafting system of FFXI, and it's also something you don't need to rely on other people for. 

Having gotten beastmaster to its highest level and smithing to nearly its highest level (max 100), there's just not much else for me to do that won't require the help of others.  I'm not a recluse or anything, but FFXI is a game where, if you play a job that requires parties to get exp, you could be waiting around for hours before you get a party, and I simply don't have that kind of time to waste.  Beastmaster is pretty much the only job that doesn't require parties, and I maxed that job out. 

So here's my question I guess: What is the best new game for me to get into, considering the fact that I will mostly want to solo my way to the top?

My ideal game would be one in which I could log on and kill a few monsters or craft a little bit and then log off in 30 minutes and still feel like I've accomplished something.  I do enjoy partying and being social and all, but my RL issues just don't allow me to do that 99% of the time.  My ideal game needs to have socializing available, but grouping with others shouldn't be absolutely necessary or even advantageous when compared to soloing. 

I'm looking into Guild Wars right now; it seems that you can do lots of soloing with it. 

Please discuss which game/games you think would be most suitable for my standards.  Thanks!

Comments

• MouserqMouserq Member Posts: 68
    Well, I'm having fun with EVE Online at the moment. It IS a bit of a slow game, but it does suit your time needs because your character continues to skill up if you are offline. I study in between jumps while I'm playing and my character will skill up while I'm at work or just out and about.

With that said. There's a very good chance you may hate this game...alot. But you may also enjoy it as well. It's about as casual as you can get. There's a 14 day trial right now that does not require a credit card so just give it a try and see for yourself if it's something you enjoy. I like it, but not everyone likes the same things.

• MarleVVLLMarleVVLL Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Guild wars? Eh, I wasn't impressed with it at all really. And its not a game that you can only be on for about 30 minutes. It takes longer then that to do a single mission in it (thats how you progress in the story line). There isn't crafting in that since it in either. If you want to play, probably head to WoW. For free....just look around at beta's that end up going f2p.

MMO migrant.

• MajorBiggsMajorBiggs Member UncommonPosts: 709
    im in the same boat i think...i played WoW since release and i like the fact that there's soloability to it ..but..i got kinda tired.

i played EVE but it just wasnt my cup of tea :-/. I thought that Guild Wars was pretty good at soloability..but as the other person said, missions take a looong time.

I've been playing diablo 2 now...its been keeping me busy and i can log on and off easily. I feel like im accomplishing something lol.

my two cents....(didnt help)
  • AiglosAiglos Member Posts: 6

You could look into Roma Victor, because everything you do is up to you.  You can solo all you want or choose to interact with your townmembers.  Theres loads of crafting to do... just look at the skill list on their website: Roma Victor Skills .  You can be Roman or Barbarian... whichever your choice.  Romans tend to be more mercantilist in my experience, so if you want to be solo then I'd suggest going Roman.  It isn't even required to fight things if you don't want, because the game content is made to be as realistic as possible.

The only drawback is the graphics... and the fact that they haven't finished a lot of the game content yet.  The graphics aren't awful though, there are plenty of games with worse graphics (runescape, mapelstory, and most other anime games), and the game content in Roma Victor is amazing... once they've finished implementing it all.  I believe at least carpentry, pottery, mining, smithing, cooking and some other things work right now, but you might want to wait a bit untill they've actually finished the game. (I'm playing now so I get ahead to become really powerful before everyone else starts playing).  The communities in-game are also great, since there is only 1 server, but a HUGE map, you get to know everyone in your hometown and its fun to interact with them.  Oh, and there's no monthly fee, the game is about $35.  Visit their website: www.roma-victor.com

Edit: Oh and about the Guild Wars thing, I wouldn't suggest doing that game if you like soloing, because it is impossible to solo after about halfway into the game.  The monsters are made to be so powerful that you can't possibly beat them on your own, and you can try to bring henchmen along (which gets boring), but the henchmen AI isnt good enough to defeat the most powerful monsters.  Guild Wars is meant to be a group MMORPG where its really easy to group up with your friends and play.

• Thekobe8Thekobe8 Member Posts: 57
      Based on your description it seems that the game you're looking for is Archlord. As stated by one of the korean designer of the game, Archlord is based 80% around solo play so it should be a great game for you. The Beta is going to start now in August and the full release should be in September. So keep an eye on this game 
    Here's the website link: http://www.archlordgame.com/ (hurry up to sign up to the beta if you want a chance to play it in advance)