Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PLEASE NO MODS!!!

Comments

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

Originally posted by BlindShooter
    If you make money faster, it means you can afford more/better stuff earlier than others.And saying that everyone has access to it... that is not true.People should NOT have to look around websites for a mod so they can make money at the same speed that you do, just so they aren't gimped...Unless it is an actual game feature, included, something that you don't have to download from somewhere else, it is in no way, shape, or form, going to be used by everyone. Hence, it is an advantage.

Everyone has access to it...like searching around on the internet is hard to do lol. Mods arent buried treasure that you have to work actually find.

What IF I HAVE THE BEST FKING MEMORY IN THE WHOLE WORLD---AND YOU DONT AND I MAKE MONEY BECAUSE OF THIS--- OMG NO FAIR... give it a rest.. this is the stupidest argument against simple mods that Ive EVVVVER heard.

One class might farm better also....and O NOES does that mean that he might have better gear than you?

NO FAIR NO FAIR

This thread started out as reasonable and then turned into a crai about mods boo hoo fest.

LETS GET A POSSE AND HANG THOSE NO GOOD MODS!!!!!

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    are you talking about no ingame macros? a lot of games have ingame macro's and are accesible to all, it enables you to layout yer keys for any speacial way you want,

playing eq2 and two worlds

• klapdoorklapdoor Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Kraiden:

You're only on a half crusade man. If I were you and want a real level playing field, I would also push for the following besides no mods:

- No macros's (you know how these buggers can give you a huge advantage)
    - No keymapping at all (You don't want someone to be able to push a few buttons for his skills do you? That would be major cheating)
    - No adjustable hotbars at all (Just imagine a usefull and thought-out hotbar, it could easily give you half a second advantage)
    - Heck, I would vote for no hotbars at all!
    - Only one non-adjustable resolution, 640x480 (A higher resolution means that you can see more of the same playing field than someone else. That would be major cheating)
    - Ban people with a too good Internet connection (If I were you, I would not want to fight someone with 20ms less ping time. That would just be too much of an unfair advantage...)
    - Limit the amount of playing time per day to only one hour (this is for you guys/girls out there who have a real life and would otherwise be unable to keep up with the rest)
    - Scan of the computer before installing the game. If you have a better system than Kraiden, the game will not install (That should level the playing field for you Kraiden...)

I tink I will call Mythic and ask them to only release the game on the PS2. Otherwise it will be no fun at all...

Kraiden (and others in this thread), get real... It is a freaking game!

• kraidenkraiden Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 638

When I was on the debate team in highschool, one of the tactics they taught us was to discredit the other persons argument by making it sound like lunacy. Do not use this tactic with me. My point is firm, its not a crusade, its a plea. A request for a line to be drawn in the sand.

No Mods

No scripting

No HaX

Macros to me are what you had in DAoC. [macro] ./speak  incomming!! 

Scripting is what wow calls macro's ..

Intimidating Bandage: Casts Intimidating Shout, turns off auto-attack, and uses the first found bandage in your backpack on yourself.

/cast Intimidating Shout
    /script SpellStopCasting()
    /script ClearTarget(); TargetLastEnemy(); TargetUnit("player"); UseByName_Execute("bandage"); TargetLastTarget()

or

/script a=UnitHealth; b=UnitMana; c=CastSpellByName; if a("Target") < 20 and b("Player") > 9 then c("Execute");end if b("Player") > 29 then c("Bloodthirst");end if b("Player") > 30 then c("Whirlwind");end if b("Player") > 45 then c("Cleave");u,p,c,i=UnitMana,"player",CastSpellByName,IsUsableAction;if i(81) then c("Overpower");elseif i(73) then c("Execute");elseif u(p)>=30 then c("Mortal Strike");else return;end;end;end;
    end

The above macro is 1 button to  do EVERYTHING a warrior would want to do. 5 skills lined to 1 button and if they are under 20% life it automaticaly kills them, if someone else is in range it does double attack and hits them both, if not it uses whatever is the best attack... umm thats scripting, not macroing.

Stuff like that I do not want in this game, if you want it  go play wow, AC2 or even EQ. I want an even playing field and want to be beaten by some kid who plays too much or is just too darn good. I do not want to be beaten by gear (to an extent) and I sure dont  want to be beaten by scripts and downloads.

• Vertex1980Vertex1980 Member Posts: 951

Originally posted by kraiden

When I was on the debate team in highschool, one of the tactics they taught us was to discredit the other persons argument by making it sound like lunacy. Do not use this tactic with me. My point is firm, its not a crusade, its a plea. A request for a line to be drawn in the sand.

No Mods
    No scripting
    No HaX
    Intimidating Bandage: Casts Intimidating Shout, turns off auto-attack, and uses the first found bandage in your backpack on yourself.

/cast Intimidating Shout
    /script ClearTarget(); TargetLastEnemy(); TargetUnit("player"); UseByName_Execute("bandage"); TargetLastTarget()

or

/script a=UnitHealth; b=UnitMana; c=CastSpellByName; if a("Target") < 20 and b("Player") > 9 then c("Execute");end if b("Player") > 29 then c("Bloodthirst");end if b("Player") > 30 then c("Whirlwind");end if b("Player") > 45 then c("Cleave");u,p,c,i=UnitMana,"player",CastSpellByName,IsUsableAction;if i(81) then c("Overpower");elseif i(73) then c("Execute");elseif u(p)>=30 then c("Mortal Strike");else return;end;end;end;
    end

The above macro is 1 button to  do EVERYTHING a warrior would want to do. 5 skills lined to 1 button and if they are under 20% life it automaticaly kills them, if someone else is in range it does double attack and hits them both, if not it uses whatever is the best attack... umm thats scripting, not macroing.
    Stuff like that I do not want in this game, if you want it  go play wow, AC2 or even EQ. I want an even playing field and want to be beaten by some kid who plays too much or is just too darn good. I do not want to be beaten by gear (to an extent) and I sure dont  want to be beaten by scripts and downloads.

QFT!  +10

I couldn't have said it better myself!  Cuddos.

I agree 115% with this post.  I can not stand when you actually are "trying" to play against another person and they are laughing, eatting a sandwich and not even paying attention because they made this "uber 1337" script, or downloaded it from a site.

World of Warcraft did that because they are trying to please every single person, I think they are building walls, not helping... but I guess 6 million+ people can't be wrong... could they?

• KyorutoKyoruto Member Posts: 794

Originally posted by Vertex1980

Originally posted by kraiden

No Mods
    No scripting
    No HaX

/cast Intimidating Shout

or

end

QFT!  +10

I couldn't have said it better myself!  Cuddos.

I agree 115% with this post.  I can not stand when you actually are "trying" to play against another person and they are laughing, eatting a sandwich and not even paying attention because they made this "uber 1337" script, or downloaded it from a site.

World of Warcraft did that because they are trying to please every single person, I think they are building walls, not helping... but I guess 6 million+ people can't be wrong... could they?

And thusly one of the many reasons why I quit the game. Just seeing script after script got really annoyting. Though I played without them. Sometimes makes me feel like things would of gone better in my favor if I broke down and used it. I feel really good when I beat someone off of pure skill and not because I had help. Thats more or less why I like fighting games. No matter what there is always room for improvement.

Siehst du mich
    Erkennst du mich
    Ganz tief in meinem Herz
    ist noch ein Platz f?r dich
    Ich suche dich
    Ich sehne mich
    nach dem was ich geliebt hab
    doch ich find es nicht

• BlindShooterBlindShooter Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by logangregor

If you make money faster, it means you can afford more/better stuff earlier than others.And saying that everyone has access to it... that is not true.People should NOT have to look around websites for a mod so they can make money at the same speed that you do, just so they aren't gimped...Unless it is an actual game feature, included, something that you don't have to download from somewhere else, it is in no way, shape, or form, going to be used by everyone. Hence, it is an advantage.

Everyone has access to it...like searching around on the internet is hard to do lol. Mods arent buried treasure that you have to work actually find.

What IF I HAVE THE BEST FKING MEMORY IN THE WHOLE WORLD---AND YOU DONT AND I MAKE MONEY BECAUSE OF THIS--- OMG NO FAIR... give it a rest.. this is the stupidest argument against simple mods that Ive EVVVVER heard.

One class might farm better also....and O NOES does that mean that he might have better gear than you?

NO FAIR NO FAIR

This thread started out as reasonable and then turned into a crai about mods boo hoo fest.

Yes, everyone has access to it, but not everyone is going to go around searching the net to find that exact mod a person is using that gives 'em an advantage. People shoudln't have to. The game should be as easy to play as having it installed, and voi-la, and not having to fiddle around the net trying to find some obscure modification for it.

Also, if you have a good memory, good for you, that means you are pulling ahead on your own merit, and for that I would never complain. Just as in so many online FPS a player might win on sheer reflexes.

If one class is a way better farmer, so be it, but that either means it is unbalanced or that this class lacks in some other field. It might be great at farming, but it is not as good as the other classes at pvping, so there is a certain balance. Now if you have players creating this as their farming alt, providing supplies to their pvp chars, well, there is an obvious design flaw.
    I believe Mythic knows what they are doing, and have learned from their experience with DAoC.

And honestly, if you are going to reply, do so at least in a polite manner. Saying what other people would think/say in a certain situation is, to say the least, annoying.
    You are free to voice your opinions, as am I.

Klapdoor, I completely agree with Kraiden, his points are very valid.
    While of course the playing field is never going to be equal, somethings don't affect it that much.
    Example, my machine is not very new or anything, yet I can play fast paced games like CS:S against people using computers with the latest gpus, cpus and large amounts of ram, and yet, I can beat them, even using my crappy 5 year old genius mouse. The difference is rather small, it relies on skill, specially since you can adjust the levels of detail. There are people with older computers that rank really well, even if their hardware (and that includes the connection to the internet) is nowhere near top.

I understand the point you try to make when talking about hardware, but it doesn't affect the gameplay anywhere as near as mods do.

And of course I understand (as I suppose others do) that this is only a game.
    But this is a game's forum and everyone is free to debate it as much as they feels like.

EDIT:Changed font, much easier on the eyes...

www.MONGBAT.com
    Warhammer Guild

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174

If
    you make money faster, it means you can afford more/better stuff
    earlier than others.And saying that everyone has access to it... that
    is not true.People should NOT have to look around websites for a mod so
    they can make money at the same speed that you do, just so they aren't
    gimped...Unless it is an actual game feature, included, something that
    you don't have to download from somewhere else, it is in no way, shape,
    or form, going to be used by everyone. Hence, it is an advantage.

Everyone has access to it...like searching around on the internet is
    hard to do lol. Mods arent buried treasure that you have to work
    actually find.

What IF I HAVE THE BEST FKING MEMORY IN
    THE WHOLE WORLD---AND YOU DONT AND I MAKE MONEY BECAUSE OF THIS--- OMG
    NO FAIR... give it a rest.. this is the stupidest argument against
    simple mods that Ive EVVVVER heard.

NO FAIR NO FAIR

No one should have to download a special mod in order to be as good as everyone else.  Period.

Conversely, no one should have the ability to download a mod to be ahead of everyone else.

I think that's the main issue.

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• Shaman64Shaman64 Member Posts: 399
    Way to go klapdoor, I am another who agrees with kraiden, you apprently have no one that agrees with you on this topic. That script up there is crap, that is the kind of stuff that the companies need to get rid of. It likes saying paying someone to level your character is not cheating .

• BlindShooterBlindShooter Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by Shaman64
    Way to go klapdoor, I am another who agrees with kraiden, you apprently have no one that agrees with you on this topic. That script up there is crap, that is the kind of stuff that the companies need to get rid of. It likes saying paying someone to level your character is not cheating .

Now that you mentioned it, it is actually possible to level in WoW simply through mods, without actually playing. Leave your character in an area with lower level, agressive monsters, use the mods to counter attack and whatnot and voi-la! It is the same as botting! I mean, monsters will attack you, your char will defend himself, use the appropriated skills, items, etc... unless there is a looting mod, you won't be getting any money, but hey, you leveled away from the computer, without any skill at all and it is actually allowed by the game company!
    Enough said.

www.MONGBAT.com
    Warhammer Guild

• Shaman64Shaman64 Member Posts: 399
    Never thought of that. Yea it could be done blind. Another example of why certtain mods should be banned.

• StuntyCrushaStuntyCrusha Member UncommonPosts: 108
    I am absolutely opposed to mods.  Pure and simple.  Play the game the way it was designed to be played by the people who made it.  I'm not going to use a program to tell me how and when to move my pieces in a game of chess...and I wouldn't expect my opponent to be ok with it either.  Besides if you get beaten while using mods by someone not using them you just got uberpwnt.
  • kraidenkraiden Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 638

Lets see how the gaming community feels about mods this month!

Its been a long summer, people are jut getting back from the beach and going to school or no longer working flex hours at their corporate job. Back to cubes and Dorms and the normal grind of the long year.
    But on the bright side, back to a consistant play schedule for us MMORPG'ers!

As a wow player. I am finding out how bad the moding has gotten.  Now wow has clustered servers together like daoc did, so there is alot more instanced pvp going on than before. Whats funny now if you can see the effects of moding because you can always count on a praticular realm to have alot of mod usage. Its like it spreads or something. One group uses it, so since they have an advantage everyone else around them has to use them as well just to compete. So while it was bad at around a 6 on my server, it is around a 9 on anoer server.
    You can also feel th effects even more now that we are playing 6 warsong gulch matches in an hour as opposed to 1 an hour from before.

My pride and joy moment of the past week? Casting dispell magic on a mage who had an autorebuff macro and running him out of power and was running away.

now THAT was rewarding

• bigoberlybigoberly Member Posts: 14

I dout very much war will have mods becouse in daoc you get band for using them even buff bot got taken out with the classic servers. Mythic is not going to let it happen in war 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i agree with the original poster 100% mods do give unfair advantages to people that use them regardless of what it is. if it is a mod to see all the herbs, you can go directly to where they are and harvest them....it is not how the game is meant to be played.

yeah it doesn't give you a advantage in pvp combat, but does give you a advantage in harvesting materials witch = more gold alot faster.

also (using wow as an example) there are mods that let you make a "iwin button" where you can combine all your characters combat moves into one macro and that is all you have to do the entire fight.

i know because i use it lol i dual box a shaman and rogue and yes i use lazy rogue addon to just click one freaking button and "wtfpwn" people with ease.

and the mod that has already been mentioned "quick heal" is freaking BS IMO, any idiot can be the best most efficient healer in the raid now, due to a mod that lets you push one button and it does all the healing for you.

i mean whats the point of being a healer when you just stand there with a quick heal button and a auto decurse button and spam them the entire time?

its not the way the games are meant to be and if they were they would be included so everyone could take advantage of such mods.

i am not against custom ui mods if it just changes the way your HUD is displayed or maybe displays exact health/mana of you and your group members or anything that gives you no advantage in any part of the game what so ever.

the bad thing about unfair mods are if the game you are playing has them, you are pretty much forced to use them to compete with all the people that use them.

its BS, and i hope WAR (especially since it is a pvp-centric game) does not allow them, at least not like wow mods are....its freaking ridiculous IMVHO.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Maybe all banned players could be placed on a server with no MODS instead of been banned.

A few servers having no MODS is certainly possible for Mythic, they just have a duty to make sure nobody pick them accidentally, which mean a better server selection menu for server, which is work for a 2D artist for 2 weeks maybe, and for a programmer for a few weeks as well...and for a Designer for a big...hmmm...2 days and donuts buying! 

EDIT: I think you mean no moderators, no GMs, no supervisors.  Sorry, misunderstood you.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• BumblebooBumbleboo Member Posts: 1

I dont understand how some of these people acctually find it fun to press 1 button and have the mod play for them.

Could I make a game and have millions of people pay me $50 and then $10 a month, where you press "w" then it shows a movie of your char Grinding some exp and you gain a level, or you press "e" and it shows you a movie of your char participating in a raid and you get some cool new armour.

heh ill even hire a few players who will go arround telling these people they WTFPWN to have got level 60 this fast and tell them they have the most uber equip on this server.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

I'd argue there's a difference between a mod that makes up for poor UI design and one that provides an advantage to be considered cheating. For example, using CT_Mod vs. Decursive for those that play WoW currently.

I've no problem with mods that allows players to manipulate the UI. If a developer won't allow such mods, in the least allow players to relocate objects.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• iHatePantsiHatePants Member Posts: 33
    yep! 100% against mods here aswell.

Ressurecting a dead thread are we? Ill play along.

Im for mods that help you craft, gather, block duels, keep notes on your friends (yeah that one REALLY GIVES AN ADVANTAGE-NERF FRIEND NOTES!!), allow you to make notes on the map, show your dps.

Im even for mods that let you swap weapons/shields/trinkets.
    Some people might really have a problem with this. But immagine if the game were real...there would be nothing stopping me from grabbing my other sword or putting on my other magical trinket. It would take practically no time.

Im all for Custom UI's, bars and Timer mods(timers on buffs/trinket effects etc)

Im even for mods that let you bind multiple attacks/spells to one button. But I guess thats more of a macro then a mod.

IM completely against ANY auto casting mods. Paladins and there auto shield at 1 percent health is a good example of this. The self dispelling mods are pretty out of hand as well.

IM against mods that tell the person what your casting as well. Mages in world of warcraft easily abuse this mod as they can silence or cast a buff that absorbs fire/ice damage. If youve played so long that you know what Im casting then grats to you-- but if a mod tells you... a computer program just replaced player skill.

The idea that I have a small advantage over someone else because I downloaded a mod-- WHO CARES. My computer might be nicer than yours too-- and that might give me an advantage. We play on the internet.....most of us have cable, stop crying, educate your self on what mods you might like and go download the damn mod yourself

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

The idea that I have a small advantage over someone else because I downloaded a mod-- WHO CARES. My computer might be nicer than yours too-- and that might give me an advantage. We play on the internet.....most of us have cable, stop crying, educate your self on what mods you might like and go download the damn mod yourself

heh, its not about not being able to download the mods and use them. the point is (at least for me) is that they are able to be used in the first place.

if you are able to use mods that give you in game advantages (yes this includes any aspect of the game pvp,pve,material gathering, etc...) then you are forced to download them just to keep up.

sure i use whatever mods i can find to help me in wow, i use them, but i wish they were not allowed. other than custom ui mods or any mod that gives you no advantages in the game at all, i think modding ruins games.

• dryfitdryfit Member Posts: 7

Mods,macro's,Custom UI they all suck because they give advantage. But in DAoC i hated those people that used 2 our more accounts. The buffbots our the people that used it to powerlvl.

And i see it all coming back to this game. Better give those first 3 option, so that everyone can have the same advantage, then only the rich people that can effort 2 our more accounts have the advantage.

Everything that is not made by the game dev must be illegal to use. Play the game the way it is designed and 1 person 1 account.

Chronicles of spellborn is using a system that try's to counter all those things, i hope it will be the solution to cheaters.

I started with UO and since then i always see people cheating to be better.

Cheating to be the best will always exist. And it mostly aren't the carebears that use it but it are the PvP people that are afraid of losing.

Ps. did you see the ad link from ilevelu that kind of web ads need to be banned on mmorpg.com

• iHatePantsiHatePants Member Posts: 33

Splitting hairs on which mods should be allowed and which mods shouldn't be allowed is a waste of time for the devs and will ruin the community with constant arguing just like class balancing does already. Just ban them all and let it be.

Originally posted by baphamet
    Originally posted by logangregorThe idea that I have a small advantage over someone else because I downloaded a mod-- WHO CARES. My computer might be nicer than yours too-- and that might give me an advantage. We play on the internet.....most of us have cable, stop crying, educate your self on what mods you might like and go download the damn mod yourselfheh, its not about not being able to download the mods and use them. the point is (at least for me) is that they are able to be used in the first place.if you are able to use mods that give you in game advantages (yes this includes any aspect of the game pvp,pve,material gathering, etc...) then you are forced to download them just to keep up.sure i use whatever mods i can find to help me in wow, i use them, but i wish they were not allowed. other than custom ui mods or any mod that gives you no advantages in the game at all, i think modding ruins games.

Mods helping you "DO ANYTHING" -- "JUST TO KEEP UP"?
    Thats a big exageration. What do you consider keeping up? As if people are falling behind.

A gatherer mod just shows me where Ive mined ore from BEFORE. Its something I could do on my own and at one time I did by just making notes on my map. If I was new to the area Gatherer mod just got me familiar with where alot of the ore spawned. The same thing would take place if I used map notes. Gatherer is a convenience....not some GRAND advantage.

Mods generally introduce things into the WoW UI that should of been there anyways and many times are eventually moved into WoW's standard UI. Extra moveable bars should of been there in the first place. Making it more convenient to switch out weapons and trinkets should of been there as well.

I guess for me it comes to down to TWO categories--Convenience Mods and Player Skill Replacing Mods.

I have no problem with CONVENIENCE MODS or UI. Moveable bars does nothing more than give me better access to my keys. Map notes/gatherer notes do nothing more than make it easier to keep notes on areas or people. There is a mail mod that lets you mail 20 things all at once to one person where as before you had to do that piece by piece by piece. Thats a convenience mod that just improved on the current mail system.

Player Skill Replacing Mods------Mods that make decisions better than I could are out of the question.
    IE-mods that let you spam one button to use the best heal on the person that needs it the most. T
    hats taking the place of player skill.

Mods in wow that auto dispell--out of the question.

Mods that auto shield Paladins at 1 percent health-- out of the question.

The basic premise that you have to download these mods JUST TO KEEP UP is completely ridiculous to me.

I dont need bars...I like them. I dont need the gatherer mod, I could ask friends if I really wanted to know where Mithril Ore was most prevalent. I dont need a BAM mod that tells me everytime I crit-- its just fun.

Originally posted by dryfit
    Mods,macro's,Custom UI they all suck because they give advantage. But in DAoC i hated those people that used 2 our more accounts. The buffbots our the people that used it to powerlvl.

And i see it all coming back to this game. Better give those first 3 option, so that everyone can have the same advantage, then only the rich people that can effort 2 our more accounts have the advantage.

Everything that is not made by the game dev must be illegal to use. Play the game the way it is designed and 1 person 1 account.

Chronicles of spellborn is using a system that try's to counter all those things, i hope it will be the solution to cheaters.

I started with UO and since then i always see people cheating to be better.

Cheating to be the best will always exist. And it mostly aren't the carebears that use it but it are the PvP people that are afraid of losing.

Ps. did you see the ad link from ilevelu that kind of web ads need to be banned on mmorpg.com

Using mods and custom UI's has nothing, ABSOULTELY nothing to do with CHEATING or people who run 2 accounts on there computer. Thats a discussion better suited for the daoc boards.