Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PLEASE NO MODS!!!

Comments

• BoozekBoozek Member Posts: 110

I honestly dont mind seing some time saving macro's. Anarchy online My main is a meta physicist and I have to control 3 pets simultaniously. I damn well use macro's otherwise in a big fight I'd just get wtfpwnd if I had to manually type out the commands to each individual pet. using simple macro's to cut out and relieve some aspects make certain classes playable as opposed to painfull. IE I'd grab a target and send in one pet to Mez (simple crowd control) flip to a second target and send off the kill pet, third watch the party members and see who was holding agro and flip the heal pet off to him/her. without simple macro's a fairly standard fight that often has to be repeated or has some gotten fubared and tactics need to change, just would be undoable before a mob just eats me. None of this changes the fact that I've hit my assigned macro. I still need to be aware of the fighting target, the most likely threat target for the mezzer and who's taking dmg. and that's just controlling the pets. then I have to play my own char. principal Role is debuffer then adding to dmg with my own weapons.

I have yet to try a class  in WAR as all of you, but sometimes a few simple macro's will change a game from "pound head on Desk syndrome" to "Omg!! the adrenaline is pumping and I'm having a great time!!"

In a PvP fight I'd be long dead if I had to Type /pet "petname" attack or heal, therefore using a macro that does nothing but replace me having to type out a long winded explanation to my pet over and over again as to wich one I want doing what as having an unfair advantage.

BTW one on one PvP wont be the norm in most cases. Large scale RvR is group/battlegroup oriented so you have to know your role a) within your own group, B) your group's role within the large scale battle. 

Team play not being a fooking gloryhound will win conflicts. The side with the most cohesive action and strategy will prevail.

• kraidenkraiden Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 638

some classes are made harder and have added benefit. Sorc and healer from  DAoC?

Get skill and play better, because your "time saving" macros are giving you and advantage. that TIME you save in this game compouds when your in a group and throws off the outcome of a battle.

NO ADVANTAGES

NO MODS

kill pet in ao = Dot in Doac it'sa button

heal pet in Daoc it'sa button

btw ao heal pet for mp's is crap, there are buffs that supply more

mezpet, has to be directed and only takes out one persone...sometimes they get a save aganist mez.

so essentially every new encounter you'd like me to type each command to each pet when in all reality they contribute very little to the actual result.Char on his own does ok dmg, but with heal pet is an actuaL GROUP ADVANTAGE.

my whole point was in macroing the pets...btw is done by any mp on any side of the conflict, you can control all 3 without typing the whole combat time.

if everyone in your class does it are you a cheater? due to faulty game design?

grow the fuk up. no matter what mmo there are generic macro'sfor what the dev's have left behind. even tho designers said pet macro's were expected because they would be too hard to formulate for each individual's use

go look yourself asstard and a half

• EliasThorneEliasThorne Member UncommonPosts: 338

Originally posted by kraiden

But to tell you the truth... YES

Hehe, can't argue with that

Currently Playing: GW2
    Currently Following: Elder Scrolls Online
    Games in my wake: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Asheron’s Call, Asheron’s Call 2, City of Heroes, Dark Age of Camelot (SI to Catacombs), DDO, EVE Online, EverQuest II (beta), Guild Wars, Horizons, Lineage II,LORTO, Rift, RF Online (beta), RYL, Saga of Ryzon, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Vanguard, WAR, WoW

Originally posted by Boozek

if everyone in your class does it are you a cheater? due to faulty game design?

Cheat
    In a computer game, a hidden means of gaining an unfair advantage

Cheating in online computer games is a broad category of activities, all of which are generally regarded as modifying the game experience in a way that gives a player an unfair advantage over the other players. Depending on the game, different activities constitute cheating, as it is often a matter of consensus opinion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TO answer your question ... YES.

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

Originally posted by VixenHeart

Originally posted by Dharkknight
    I think that's another HUGE reason why WoW is so popular.  They let people create their own cheating tool and then they call it a mod. 

Ok I tried to read all your posts but make realistic claims as to why wow is popular and not "zomg they let you cheat and thats why those nubs like wow". Get real.

back to the subject--I agree there are some mods that imo are cheating. Some of these mods do things that in a normal mmo would only be accomplished by SKILL/experience.

For instance, there are now priest mods Im told that will allow them to hit one button and heal the person that is such and such percentage of health. So all the priests that raid do in a raid is mindlessly hit X button and it boom "AUTO selects" who needs the heals and what the most efficient "heal" to use. Thats complete crap. A good priest would know his job and know who to heal and when.

Another example of a mod taking the place of player experience. SPELL ALERT-Tells you the spell your target is casting and USED to even show you THERE CASTING BAR so you could see if you had time to interupt it etc etc. Again...that should be player experience knowing WHAT spell your target is casting.

The kind of mods that help with crafting, maps, bars ARE perfectly fine imo-- and are just made to make the game smoother and more enjoyable.

Originally posted by logangregor

The kind of mods that help with crafting, maps, bars ARE perfectly fine imo-- and are just made to make the game smoother and more enjoyable.

That seems to be what alot of you mod lovcers are trying to fall back on, even though we know most of you will want to use more mods than that...

but we still stand firm. In your very wording sir you say "SMOOTHER"

smoother and easier make things better and faster for people who are using them...

in  a pvp game, faster and easier to make decisions have lasting effects on the outcome of a battle..

In pvp a half a seconds of an advantage is a full mile of a headstart on the road to victory.

No advantages should be given for anything earned outside of the game.

• Arab.JesterArab.Jester Member Posts: 11
    I agree, although I think we should be able to customize the looks of the UI and things that make it easier to see or keep aware of certain aspects... For instance bieng able to change the look and place of the action bar, health bars etc.. to me would be acceptable but things that tell you what to do and when to do them si a BIG NO NO for me, and yes WoW is prolly one of the worst scenarios possible.

• RugsterRugster Member Posts: 59
    Certain mods point out the mistakes of coders, take the fishing mod in wow. Instead of holding shift down and manually pressing a button the mod allows you to right click to cast and automatically puts yer fish in yer bag. You still need to sit there for hours on end fishing.

This kind of code should have been in wow from the start.

However, the buffbot, and various raid macros and other aspects of wow have utterly destroyed the balance of the game. The excuse to use it is now always "if they don't its obviously because they are too lazy to download it, its thier loss"  Don't cut it i'm afraid to say. You're a cheat, you like it easy, you want it easy, you use mods. Some of you even go a step further and use bots, you want it so easy you don't even want to play the game, you just want to strut around at lvl 60 looking all cool and swanky. Problem is, you're spotted a mile away, because you haven't a clue how to play. You've missed 59 levels of learning how to. This is the point.

Although the little basic mods are helpful in keeping the foul monster of boredom at bay.. it does not make it right to use a mod that unbalances gameplay, simple because the other guy.. hasn't got it. That is the essence of unbalance. (available now in your local AH!!)

I will be buying WAR...almost spelt is at WAH there.. but n/m.. I would love to see a completely mod'less game, where the devs permentantly and swiftly banned all modders and botters.

What they need to decide is, are we making this game for money, or to give people enjoyment. If it is the former the game might knock wow down.. we will get shafted by a million cheats, hackers, farmers and botters and we'll go play another game. Eventually the game will die and we'll look back at these posts and wonder why noone listened.  *shrug* they didnt with Horisons, or with AC2, or with SWG...or Ryzoms.. noone listened. Those games are all laughable games with tiny populations.

Or they might make a game for people to enjoy. And it might still exsist in 5 years time and they'll still get rich..and we'll still be playing it.  But this is the real world and i am not blind.

Life is about Living, Sleep is about Dreaming, Games are about Strategy!

That seems to be what alot of you mod lovcers are trying to fall back on, even though we know most of you will want to use more mods than that...
    but we still stand firm. In your very wording sir you say "SMOOTHER"
    smoother and easier make things better and faster for people who are using them...
    in  a pvp game, faster and easier to make decisions have lasting effects on the outcome of a battle..
    In pvp a half a seconds of an advantage is a full mile of a headstart on the road to victory.No advantages should be given for anything earned outside of the game.

Us mod lovers....this isnt a argument FYI, its a discussion.

Regardless, I am against mods that ruin pvp. A mod that makes my crafting easier...or a mod that keeps track of who I killed in pvp isnt GIVING ME SOME ADVANTAGE.

And yes SMOOTHER. Do you have a problem with SMOOTHER gameplay? Some mods in wow just show you things in a much more viewable location- IE-the time...how much money you have...your coordinates. Those are all things I could find out by clicking different menus/boxes but why do that when I can look at one box that tells me all that?

If mods are legal and easily accessible in warhammer I will use them. If there not legal then i wont. It will be that simple for me.

• arietharieth Member Posts: 1

WoW is a good example of modding gone wrong. When you get to the point where you press two buttons for 3 and half hours evrey night you may have too meney mods.But saying that I quite like the idea of customizable UI's maybe if you had a few to choose from that would surfice(surphice?/disscuss) but i would like to see no major modding going on.

[Edit]:Typo(no prize for guessing that)

• Shaman64Shaman64 Member Posts: 399
    I agree with Kraiden entirely. I've used plenty of mods in WoW. But mods in a game like this is well, kinda like cheating, mods are player made, so if they allow mods in the game before we know it were gonna have mods that  warn us were being attacked from behind, mods that autosave you from combat. Its ridicolous. This is WARHAMMER, You should be able to slay your enemies with pride.

Its like pandoras box.
    Even if you open it a crack for the littest of things, someone will find a way to make it something big.
    Not only that, but even the slightest advantage in a pvp game is a huge gap when fighting other players.
    HUGE

It dosent really matter when your in a pve game, pve content was made to be beaten, players are not however. In a pvp game even "simple" mods that dont have an immediate effect on pvp will cause imballance.
    Remember DAoC? it had no mods.. but it had an imballance. Mid hib and alb. ALb had the necro which was not very good in pvp but an absolute juggernaught in pve capeable of doing things solo that an entire group of 8 couldnt think about doing. Necro had no immediate effect, but after a year or so the econimic effect hit as albs could buy more siege and better armorment and level faster, based on a pve advantage. So pve aspects of a game thats war based also have an effect on the war as a whole, and the wars in WAR are long and epic, which is why they call it a campaign.

NO MODS for any reason or any aspect of the game.

Look how out of control mods are

-Smart heal-

This addon attempts to heal using the minimum rank spell to heal the one in most need of healing. It knows about +healing, takes into account level of recipient, what buffs recipient already has, etc. The algorithm for spell choice is customizable based on percentage of health the recipient has remaining. The priority algorithm is customizable based on party and raid group membership, class and individual.

-Pro target-

I got tired of having to worry about targetting an crowd controlled (CC) mob in an instance as the MA so I wrote this mod. It makes it so that when you use TAB to target a mob it will ignore anything that is CC'd. Note that this event is the ONLY way this mod will avoid targeting a CC'd mob. Crowd controlled means the mob is under the effect of at least one of the following:

* Freezing Trap
    * Sap
    * Sleep
    * Shackle
    * Seduce
    * Polymorph
    * Blind

Pro trinket

adds three features to WoW:
    - Cooldown feedback for trinkets / spells. The semi-transparent bar appears white if every trinket/spell is ready, splits into component colors otherwise. This allows you to quickly determine the status of various abilities.
    - Easy activation of trinkets, especially in combination with certain spells (mages/priests). Single hotkey can be used to activate whichever supported trinket is currently up. Use /usett or /usetrinket [trinket] [pom] [ap/pi/em/cmb] to active the trinket/additional effects in macros.
    - Trinket swapping. You're able to set a priority list for trinkets, and TwinTrinkets will automatically equip trinkets from that list, making sure that you always have the optimal combination up. This allows effortless swapping between various active and passive trinkets depending on their cooldowns. To bring up trinket swapping configuration window, either right click on the cooldown bar, or use the /tt or /trinkets slash commands.

-Know cast-

Displays a replication of your targets spell casting bar on your UI, which can be moved around.
    Spell casting time is not something that is available to your WoW client, so I have provided cast times for most (if not all spells).

-Defend yourself-

Defend Yourself is a really complex addon for a really simple thing: engaging in melee combat. It does 3 main things:

1) Makes sure you enter combat when you use an offensive spell or ability on a target.
    2) When you are attacked, you will enter melee combat with the aggressor
    3) If you are attacked by multiple opponents, on the death of one you will immediately target and attack the new one. No forgetting between spells!

-------------------------

Are you kidding me? ALl of these are skills you should have to learn, but are viewed as tedious things by the wow community and thus have become macros.
    I dont know about you, but I find it horrid that I can attack an AFK warrior and not only is the fight rough because I am wearing normal gear and he is 20 levels higher than me in stats with his epics.... but he auto matically fights me back and starts to swing after i hit him. In theory I can die to someone not even at the keyboard.....

nah.. mods are FINE

• Vertex1980Vertex1980 Member Posts: 951

Look how out of control mods are

-Smart heal-
    This addon attempts to heal using the minimum rank spell to heal the one in most need of healing. It knows about +healing, takes into account level of recipient, what buffs recipient already has, etc. The algorithm for spell choice is customizable based on percentage of health the recipient has remaining. The priority algorithm is customizable based on party and raid group membership, class and individual.

-Pro target-
    I got tired of having to worry about targetting an crowd controlled (CC) mob in an instance as the MA so I wrote this mod. It makes it so that when you use TAB to target a mob it will ignore anything that is CC'd. Note that this event is the ONLY way this mod will avoid targeting a CC'd mob. Crowd controlled means the mob is under the effect of at least one of the following:

* Freezing Trap
    * Sap
    * Sleep
    * Shackle
    * Seduce
    * Polymorph
    * Blind

Pro trinket
     adds three features to WoW:
    - Cooldown feedback for trinkets / spells. The semi-transparent bar appears white if every trinket/spell is ready, splits into component colors otherwise. This allows you to quickly determine the status of various abilities.
    - Easy activation of trinkets, especially in combination with certain spells (mages/priests). Single hotkey can be used to activate whichever supported trinket is currently up. Use /usett or /usetrinket [trinket] [pom] [ap/pi/em/cmb] to active the trinket/additional effects in macros.
    - Trinket swapping. You're able to set a priority list for trinkets, and TwinTrinkets will automatically equip trinkets from that list, making sure that you always have the optimal combination up. This allows effortless swapping between various active and passive trinkets depending on their cooldowns. To bring up trinket swapping configuration window, either right click on the cooldown bar, or use the /tt or /trinkets slash commands.

-Know cast-
    Displays a replication of your targets spell casting bar on your UI, which can be moved around.
    Spell casting time is not something that is available to your WoW client, so I have provided cast times for most (if not all spells).

-Defend yourself-
    Defend Yourself is a really complex addon for a really simple thing: engaging in melee combat. It does 3 main things:

1) Makes sure you enter combat when you use an offensive spell or ability on a target.
    2) When you are attacked, you will enter melee combat with the aggressor
    3) If you are attacked by multiple opponents, on the death of one you will immediately target and attack the new one. No forgetting between spells!

-------------------------

Are you kidding me? ALl of these are skills you should have to learn, but are viewed as tedious things by the wow community and thus have become macros.
    I dont know about you, but I find it horrid that I can attack an AFK warrior and not only is the fight rough because I am wearing normal gear and he is 20 levels higher than me in stats with his epics.... but he auto matically fights me back and starts to swing after i hit him. In theory I can die to someone not even at the keyboard.....
    nah.. mods are FINE

And you see why I don't like games with mods. Gives the immature child an upper hand.  It's usually the children who want to have the upper hand... then they say

"IOMFG(!BBQ!2eleven!@ I killed j00 @ I wuz not even dur @ the keybored"

This part here is really FUNNY-->>>>> ALb had the necro which was not very good in pvp but an absolute juggernaught in pve capeable of doing things solo that an entire group of 8 couldnt think about doing. Necro had no immediate effect, but after a year or so the econimic effect hit as albs could buy more siege and better armorment and level faster, based on a pve advantage. So pve aspects of a game thats war based also have an effect on the war as a whole, and the wars in WAR are long and epic, which is why they call it a campaign.

Ive lost any respect I had for you when you said that Necros were good in pvp....

Necros are easily the worst class to play in pvp in DAOC. There a farming class...nothing else really. Lets not get to close to what was unfair in daoc please? Because if you wanna talk unfair you can start with baseline stun, shrooms that hit you thru walls, aoe interupt spells and greatest of all VAMPS tyvm!!

The necro created no downside to other realms. lol had more money for siege equipment...like its expensive...

bringing up necros..... in a mod discussion .... im at a loss for words

• Shaman64Shaman64 Member Posts: 399
    My second opinion. I believe that mods such as those posted above should'nt be allow, it ridicolous. Going afk and still being able to fight. Mods that change your ui look i believe are okay. If you have to many spells for your bar then you gonna need more space. I believe an mmo should come out with a costumizable bar built right in where you can change every aspect.

This part here is really FUNNY-->>>>> ALb had the necro which was >not <very good in pvp but an absolute juggernaught in pve capeable of doing things solo that an entire group of 8 couldnt think about doing. Necro had no immediate effect, but after a year or so the econimic effect hit as albs could buy more siege and better armorment and level faster, based on a pve advantage. So pve aspects of a game thats war based also have an effect on the war as a whole, and the wars in WAR are long and epic, which is why they call it a campaign.

Ive lost any respect I had for you when you said that Necros were good in pvp....

Necros are easily the worst class to play in pvp in DAOC. There a farming class...nothing else really. Lets not get to close to what was unfair in daoc please? Because if you wanna talk unfair you can start with baseline stun, shrooms that hit you thru walls, aoe interupt spells and greatest of all VAMPS tyvm!!

The necro created no downside to other realms. lol had more money for siege equipment...like its expensive...

bringing up necros..... in a mod discussion .... im at a loss for words

God I love kids.

Reading > Skimming

just like.... Playing > Moding

Try reading the WHOLE post before making yourself look diminished.

Im  not saying "OMG HAX NECRO" im saying .. and even YOU said the class was good for pve, the slight advantage that the realm had in pve caused economic imballances which flowed over to pvp. I pointed this out because mod lovers where trying to say " I use my mods to help me slightly in pve and pve has no effect on pvp"

Not trying to start a flame war-- so I could of been nicer :P btw Im not a kid. Got kids....

I read your whole post...I just cant fathom alb having any kind of advantage because they had necros...so it was flawed (for me) from there out.

Back to the subject though.

I get the impression that you dont want "any" mods in WAR because of mods that could "Potentially" make there way into the game and possibly taint pvp. That about right?

I guess I could see that happening. But if Mythic sets up a set of clear guidelines of what is a LEGAL MOD and WHAT ISNT---and banned players for using illegal mods, I dont think the possibility of illegal mods would flood the game.

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174

I think anything that automates or makes combat easier from outside the game should not be allowed in-game.  If it is allowed, then we will see the mod become a *necessity* for all combat, rather than an occasional helpful aid.

Think of mods as steroids.  You'll have a tough time competing with all the stronger, faster, more efficient mod-using players unless you do the same thing that they do.

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

Not trying to start a flame war-- so I could of been nicer :P btw Im not a kid. Got kids....

I read your whole post...I just cant fathom alb having any kind of advantage because they had necros...so it was flawed (for me) from there out.

Back to the subject though.
    I get the impression that you dont want "any" mods in WAR because of mods that could "Potentially" make there way into the game and possibly taint pvp. That about right?

I guess I could see that happening. But if Mythic sets up a set of clear guidelines of what is a LEGAL MOD and WHAT ISNT---and banned players for using illegal mods, I dont think the possibility of illegal mods would flood the game.

As a parent learn to be mindful. as you did not read my whole thread. you not only missed the word "not"  you also missed the context of the paragraph as I eluded to a pve advantage that spiraled into a realm advantage in pvp.

If you understand me right.. I am saying NO MODS AT ALL, in this game please. not some, not to edit, not to monitor... NONE. period.

Its because all mods give an advantage. there is no mod that does not give an advantage. even something as "passive" as kill tracker... keeps track of whom you kill (easy targets assist me on this one boys) and who kills you the most (zomg its Echoic and Sweat run for your lives!) those are helping you make or help make a decision. a faster and more informed decision is an advantage that your oponent dosent have... thus providing you with an advantage... which is wrong.

In addition to the above statement, yes it can also go too far. moding is done on your computer, not on mythics server. so if they openly allow you to change things it goes to the limit because we all know someoen who knows someone who is an alpha geek and can create anything. Mythic has no real way of looking at your interface and knowing what you have on your screen because the information is client side and not server side. So you can have big flashing letters on your screen "LEGOLIS PERFORMS AIMED SHOT AT YOU" and you can stop what your doing and look all arond the battle field and find the slightly hidden elven archer before he uses his 6 sec charge critital aimed shot, where as before it would have taken you by suprise... your mod saved you from certain death.

Theres no way to control it once you set it in motion its best to dis allow any advantages in moding and allow no kinds of scripting and keep macros simple like they where in daoc. else we will have situations like in wow where you can die to a warrior who is afk because he auto attacks whoever attacks him, auto uses potion at 15% life and auto executes when they get below 20% life.

I want to play the player, I want to win by tactics and chance... not by downloading and scripting.

• BlindShooterBlindShooter Member Posts: 77

I agree with you kraiden, one has to win because he deserves so.

The thing is that games should be well designed, in order to not NEED any mods.
    If the design works, then so be it.

For instance, I played the trial, for EVE, I had no trouble with UI or anything else, it just worked fine. When I played, I did not even once think about mods.

Same thing for GW, it just worked.

WoW, the design was quite crappy. The UI got really terrible as soon as you got to higher levels (thus, having more spell and whatnot), then you also had the poorly designed AH, the quest rewards, etc... Mods are used many times as a way to fix a broken system. Be it getting your item reward without having any idea of it's value, be it the fact that working with large groups is very hard.

Funny thing thought, I haven't used mods until I played WoW, and it was the only game which I used mods for. And I hated the need to use mods or be gimped.

Every bit of advantage affects the game as a whole. If your ui is better than another's player ui, then that means that things related to the UI will be faster/better for you, like seeing how much space you have got left, how much money you got, etc...

Games shouldn't require mods, they should be played as is, at least for online games. Offline, you can go ahead and do as you please :P

I hope that WAR's design is good enough as to not require any mods to fix anything.

www.MONGBAT.com
    Warhammer Guild

Kraiden-- for the most part I agree with you. However I dont think small advantages like knowing who you killed has any significant affect. Just like I dont think a crafting mod or a map mod/coords mod affects pvp in the slightest. O so it might help me make money faster....SO? Am I the only one that has access to it? Nope, hence No advantage.

But honestly the only thing that Ive gotten quite used to and would have to have is some custom bar set up.
    As long as I have that Im set.

Mods are client side-- your right but Mythic will be able to scan your computer for hacks/illegal mods etc..just like wow scans your computer currently.

• BlindShooterBlindShooter Member Posts: 77
    If you make money faster, it means you can afford more/better stuff earlier than others.

And saying that everyone has access to it... that is not true.
    People should NOT have to look around websites for a mod so they can make money at the same speed that you do, just so they aren't gimped...

Unless it is an actual game feature, included, something that you don't have to download from somewhere else, it is in no way, shape, or form, going to be used by everyone. Hence, it is an advantage.

www.MONGBAT.com
    Warhammer Guild