Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PLEASE NO MODS!!!

kraidenkraiden Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 638

Thats right I said it.

I know alot of you will get upset about the thought. BUt I was absolutly ZERO mods allowed in this game.
DAoC had no mods. It was alot more even. This is war, its action packed and its fast paced and the decisions you make will have a lasting effect on the outcome of the fight you are curently in. If you panic and make the wrong move? you should have the results of someone who made the wrong tactical move. Your moves should not be made for you, nor should you have assistance with any of your decisions.
Why?

because if you give someone half a second advantage  in PvP  your giving them half a mile head start.

think about how BAD WoW is with mods. You have a mod that casts a buff on you or a team mate when ever you "press button X" so you assign button X to the movement arrow and bingo, you have a buff that is auto self cast.
Another Mod that automaticaly removes Negative effects from party members.
Automatic counter spell mods

Scripting mods to make your pets more effective

Mod that shows what spell an enemy is casting in big letters.

mods that show you in big letters when you should use critical moves

Theres even a mod that lets you see what target the person you click on has as well as what weapon they are using and its stats.

TO people who have only played WoW this is normal. To people who have played classic MMO's they are an outrage. what you download should not subvert your playing skill. how you play the game should determine how well you do, not how much time you spend downloading 3rd party contraband.

In my opinion I do not even the slightest about of mod in W.A.R.

I think macros should be simple and only for Text and / commands (/assist /dance /map) and not abilities or skills.

I have no opinion about custom UI's other than I do not like them because they give an advantage. But I do think that EA/Mythic should have more than 1 type and size of UI available (6 would be ideal) and the bars should be moveable and have the ability to make the UI larger or smaller.

Thats just my 2 cents

carry on

Comments

• KyorutoKyoruto Member Posts: 794
    I kind of have to agree. I never used anymods for my WoW cause I didn't feel like I needed the advantage. (Expect CTraid since I was a priest and needed it for raids since blizzard's was too buggy)

I always thought it was cute to see as soon as a debuff was on it was right off again. That and the single button does everything mods. Thats a nice touch too. Just have it bassically go down a list and repeat.It always annoyed me when all these people were like "Oh man I still need to shave a second off of my mod." Or whatever else it wanted to do.

Siehst du mich
    Erkennst du mich
    Ganz tief in meinem Herz
    ist noch ein Platz f?r dich
    Ich suche dich
    Ich sehne mich
    nach dem was ich geliebt hab
    doch ich find es nicht

• sjonasjona Member Posts: 194

well, i do agree, even tho the only MMO i played for a long time, is WoW.
    most guilds in the game made it a requirement, that you had decursive(the auto cleansing mod, with clicking) and CTra.
    in the start of Mod usage, they also had an execute mod, that executed as soon as the target got under 20%.
    my guess is, they wont use that :D havent heard their(=WARs design team) opinion about Mods/addons and such "helping" devices, tho.

but addons that make your UI unique, i have nothing against that :P

• EliasThorneEliasThorne Member UncommonPosts: 338
    It seems I'm in the minority here, but I for one want mods - back when I used to play WoW I had loads of them, not to cheat but to make things easier for me - keeping track of locations etc

In fact as my interest dwindled in the game the only thing that would perk my interest was a new or enhanced mod.

I suspect there is a middle ground here somewhere - UI/Modding that cannot be used to "cheat", such as to use one of your examples, the UI could check that a mod wasn't running off the back of a key press assigned to movement.  Not sure how that would work or if it would have any performance impact but its a thought.

*Sits back and awaits the "fu**n' newb, wants it all spoon fed - carebare!!!1!111!!"*

Currently Playing: GW2
    Currently Following: Elder Scrolls Online
    Games in my wake: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Asheron’s Call, Asheron’s Call 2, City of Heroes, Dark Age of Camelot (SI to Catacombs), DDO, EVE Online, EverQuest II (beta), Guild Wars, Horizons, Lineage II,LORTO, Rift, RF Online (beta), RYL, Saga of Ryzon, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Vanguard, WAR, WoW

• DharkknightDharkknight Member Posts: 27

Well I can understand the not wanting the "cheating mods" , but there some mods that made WoW go smoother ( for me atleast).

I loved Titan bar b/c I could see stuff like Money, bagspace, item bonuses without having to check several different things. I likeed reagent helper which should with mat was used with what profession. Then there are also mods like ArC Hud and SCT which allows players to customize the feel their interface and how info is displayed.  I also think there were alot of mods b/c blizzard fell short in the allowing players to customize their interface. Now we see them playing catch up in patch by adding poor substitutes for popular mods.

• BentBent Member CommonPosts: 581
    I think people are just worried about what happened to DAOC with Radar and such.  If you had radar you won or could see you were overmatched and escape... if you didn't have radar you got steam rolled.  So the choice was to either use it or lose. 

Use steriods or lose.  Winning is winning.  Steriods aren't illegal for all sports.  For the sports that you are allowed to use them... you use them or accept the fact you will be over matched vs those that do.  And NO you can just work harder.  Yes, if someone used steriods and worked out 3 hours a day and you workout 6 you may still be stronger than them.  But their will be someone who uses steriods  AND works out 6 hours a day.

It almost forces you to use the mod... or suck.  And people 1) don't like being forced to do anything 2) people don't like sucking (adj)

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

I'll reserve judgement until I've had a chance to use the UI. If the UI is somewhat flexible, like having the ability to move taskbars, then I don't see any need for mods.

Imo, mods may add some advantages, but effecient key-mapping has a larger impact.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• PantasticPantastic Member Posts: 1,204

I think they need UI mods, just not the full-on programming ones. Changing button layouts, fonts, colors, what displays in the combat log, and similar things is good. Making a mod that allows you to use one button to automatically remove a curse on any party member, with configuration to pick which curses are worthwhile, then bind that mod to your movement keys so walking forward automatically removes a curse is having a mod play the game for you. I wouldn't want to be in the situation I was in EVE, where the devs chose to change one of the fonts to a crappy headache-inducing one but fixing it, while easy to do, was a bannable offense.

• ClomnerClomner Member Posts: 9
    Agreed. No cheating mods for Auto-buffs and debuffs, or auto-stealths and instant counters. This is one of the major flaws with WoW when I played it, and as a Rogue, I can say that it was NICE to have mods, but I found it required no skill, and let my hand hover above three main keys which provided a nice combo to finish everyone quickly.

I'm only for mods that modify the interface of the one user who is using it. ::Nod nod::

Firing squad, ready your aim. . .Better find your purpose in life here; here, while you still have breath.

• kraidenkraiden Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 638

Originally posted by Dharkknight

Well I can understand the not wanting the "cheating mods" , but there some mods that made WoW go smoother ( for me atleast).

SMOOTHER means a little easier for you...

if its a little easier for you then you are gaining a slight advantage

if you are gaining a slight advantage in a PvP game, when things happen in a split second and tactical decisions have lasting effects..

you have given someone a MILE of a head start in the race to victory.

Mod's are cool if your in a carebear game, but leathal in pvp games. NO MODS what so ever, i do not care how little you think they effect your gameplay or how simple you think they are...
    ALL MODS, are an advantage that you shold not have in a pvp game, because nobody should have any advantage.

• VixenHeartVixenHeart Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by kraiden

Originally posted by Dharkknight

SMOOTHER means a little easier for you...

if its a little easier for you then you are gaining a slight advantage

if you are gaining a slight advantage in a PvP game, when things happen in a split second and tactical decisions have lasting effects..

you have given someone a MILE of a head start in the race to victory.

Mod's are cool if your in a carebear game, but leathal in pvp games. NO MODS what so ever, i do not care how little you think they effect your gameplay or how simple you think they are...
    ALL MODS, are an advantage that you shold not have in a pvp game, because nobody should have any advantage.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Someone who actually sees mods my way too.  I can't stand people who hit one button and it will auto cast, auto run, take off your robe, put your armor on, put your weapon on, run around, do some jumps, etc... while the other person is trying to actually CLICK each button.

I think a custom UI is okay, but I can't stand how WoW has a trillion different Mods that will pretty much play the game for you.

I think that's another HUGE reason why WoW is so popular.  They let people create their own cheating tool and then they call it a mod. 

-

Whats even funnier is you will get 70% of the replies to this thread and they will be something like:

"I hate all cheating mods, they are very bad..... umm BUT the mods that I use are cool. "Simple" things like easier ___ or better ___ or moving _____ so I can see it better or dont have to worry about looking for it and I can use it faster"

Like I said, I think the game should come with custom or slightly custom User Interfaces. But out of hand things need to be weeded out.

Look how much of an advantage something as sinmple as scrolling combat text is in WoW. You turn it on, then apply filters.. then all of the sudden you have instant flashing alert the size of the screen, insted of having to use your brain to guess or know.. and THEN after that make the correct tactical decision to win your battle.

One of my best tricks in DAoC was , as my skald I would start to cast a spell then move to cancel it, then run away. This white glowing lights on my hand made me look like the healer and then everyone dogpiled on me unless they where smart enough players to notice my name or know who I was. See with spell alert and scroling combat text with filters and all thos eother mods... on your screen in big letters you see "Kraiden begins to cast water breathing" insted of just seeing someone casting holy magic identical to a healer spell.

Changeable UI's but not fully custom, and if custom they need limits.

NO MODS AT ALL

• raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326

NO MODS what so ever, i do not care how little you think they effect your gameplay or how simple you think they are...

I agree completely with the original poster.
  • PTEDPTED Member Posts: 464

If someone starts a poll I'll gladly say yes to any mods other than interface mods.

(And by interface mods I mean, change the colour and being able to move it around, nothing like adding extra skill bars or stuff like that)

NO MODS what so ever, i do not care how little you think they effect your gameplay or how simple you think they are...

Explain to me how a mod to help keep track of plants and minerals you have already found in any way makes PvP unbalanced?

Things like that are a useful tool for people such as myself that have both a bad memory and do not want to be surrounded by piles of paper.

Games in my wake: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Asheron’s Call, Asheron’s Call 2, City of Heroes, Dark Age of Camelot (SI to Catacombs), DDO, EVE Online, EverQuest II (beta), Guild Wars, Horizons, Lineage II,LORTO, Rift, RF Online (beta), RYL, Saga of Ryzon, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Vanguard, WAR, WoW

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

The fact is mods can be advantages to PvP. Yes? yes.

Many mods though have nothing to do with PvP or combat in general.

Having the ability to do mods helps a game a LOT! just check out how the communities of moddable games still thrives while unmoddable games don't. Most single player games, nowaday, permits you to create new maps, new skins, new textures, new weapons or even total conversions.

Be it a FPS or a RPG or even sports simulators, they permit this.

Realize that THERE IS NO SUCH A THING AS A FAIR FIGHT. not in a mmorpg nor in real life. In a mmorpg things like best equipment, best skills and best experience affect who win a fight. 3 out of 3 you can get by just playing more, so people that do not have work or other time-consuming occupations, have ALREADY an UNFAIR advantage on others that cannot play 24/7.

Mods, giving it an advantage or not, at least are available to EVERYBODY. You do not need to have been playing for 3 months to dowload the latest CTRaid, you just need an internet coonection.

So, dear OP, why are you so deadly set against something that cancel out an advantage that everybody can have while you do not say a word against advantages that only hardcore 24/7 can get?

I would be more concerned about lowering the gap between clueless newbie and 5 years veteran than if we can get the TitanBar or the CTRaid.

This being said, there is a line in the virtual world of MMorpg that should not be crossed. this line is called cheating and more than a mod has been axes because it went over this line.

I honestly do not want programs that fight for me, but certain possibilities i would like to keep open.

Yours

Volkmar

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• Havoc01Havoc01 Member Posts: 113

I want no mods either, it really ruined WoW imho. Auto debuff removal, auto counter attacks, it was all very stupid. I shouldn't have to download a mod to be just as good as joe blow who has the mod.

The only thing that I would like is a UI that is easy to use and customize using what Mythic gives you, nothing else.

• GresloreGreslore Member Posts: 243
    I am perfectly fine with no mods, as long as the UI is customizable enough.

That being said, if the game has an immense amount of repititive fluff that will make my carpul tunnel flare up - then yes, I'd like the ability to code some mods. 

"...and with that cryptic comment, I'm off to bed!"

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Mods are a good thing allowing people to customize their UI to work for their character/game play.

If someone has a mod that lets them easily cast a spell or a style EVERYONE has access to it so the only excuse is you're to lazy to get the same mod that works for that skill.

Mods aren't meant to let ya cheat/automated play and when they do even blizzard tweaks them.

I guess we arent getting through to you.
    My group of friends and are are noticing the people who like mods and cant play without them are more of the Gen Y crowd. (First game was FF7, First MMO was WOW or EQ and are in teens or early 20's)

while the people who are more looking forward to no mods and team vs team pvp are the gen Y and older crowd. (First RPG was Final fantasy or Phantasy Star, First RPG was DAoC or UO)

But thats using a broad brush to group too many people together, but its just what we have noticed from talking to people at Cons.

ANyway.. the topic... yes MODS... and NO not for this game.

How can we keep track of how many flowers we pick if we dont use a mod? GO PLAY WOW, this game is based on Kill thy neighbor not picking flowers and gathering resources. But lets say you did gather resources....

you have a mod that shows you where a resource will be or generaly be... so you find it earier and smoother to gather, so you can gether more and gather faster ....

so you can have mor eresources.. than you opponent who dosent...

so you can get more than he can...

so your economy will have better health...

so you can buy build or make more siege...

so you can get an advantage... oh... wait a sec thats what we are trying to avoid.

We do not want advantages given out  by 3rd party software. LIsten to the bottom line of what I am saying. Have all the mods you want in EQ and WOW, but a PVP/RvR game where your skill tactics and decision making against other people you cant have a mod because a mod makes things easier for you. if you have even the slightest advantage in pvp you are given a MILE of a headstart.

• BlindShooterBlindShooter Member Posts: 77
    I completely agree.
    I'd say no mods at all, not even ui mods. If your UI is better than the opponent's ui, then you have an advantage... the default ui should be good enough. If you can instantly see by your gui how much space you got left, while the other players have to open their backpacks to check it, you've got an advantage.
    EVERY MOD gives an advatange, THAT is why they are created, because something is not efficient as some want or because something gets on the way of their playstyle.
    I played wow, and used mods, they are horrible, they give you the felling that either you use 'em, or you are gimped. It annoyed me how lacking wow was in so many areas, that you had to use mods to almost everything...

I hope WAR doesn't require us to surf the web looking for 3rd party mods so we can enjoy the game, and I trust Mythic will create such game ;)

www.MONGBAT.com
    Warhammer Guild

• naldricnaldric Member UncommonPosts: 909

I agree too, no mods/macros should be allowed, if you want to play the game, play it the way the devs designed it for, and if you use third party software, i hope you get banned for cheating

I am glad most of you are on board with me and my cause.
    Now for bittersweet news. In speaking with Sanya "Thomas" the only person at mythic I really know other than Julie Perez (both are internet PR) I asked "so what is mythics stance on Mods in the new game.
    Paraphrased, she told me that mythic is going to keep a close watch on "which type" of mods they allow in the game.
    My reply was the same as it always has been, but if you allow any mods at all in a pvp battle your giving them a mile of an advantage. split seconds are crutial in lightning fast pvp.

But then again I can provide no proof of this, so take what I write with a grain of salt

----------------

But back to the crusade. I want no advantages and nothing easier. I want to get beat in a fight and say "they only won because they...umm.....well.... where better" Unlike in WoW where you can talk about the auto desheep, 1 button perfect heal, and spell lock add on that turns your fellhunter into a living nightmare shutting down your priest, huge flashing letters that let you know what spell is being casted, Big flashing pictures to let you know what target to assist and then auto targeting it.... what a travesty. Its good for novice gamers. you have to admit, the same people who  like to have 20 levels worth of stat points advantage (epics) above their enemies are not the most sporting people in the world, the people who like this type of advantage are not the people who would complain about add ons and macros ruining competition. thats why wow people should stay in wow and war people should play war. I feel that War appleals to another type of player.

To quote what a poster said on this forum a few months ago. War does not have to be the biggest game on the market, and dosent have to have to have 4 million subscriubers. INfact war dosent even have to be the best game at all. It just has to be the best game for its target audiance to play, it has to be the best game for ME.

Let the carebears, EQ hippies, and FF7 worshipers have their own game, and let us have ours. Keep your crutches in your own league.

PS we all know Red mage is way more uber than Cloud will ever be and Edge is cooler than Tifa any day of the week and twice on sundays.

I guess we arent getting through to you.
    My group of friends and are are noticing the people who like mods and cant play without them are more of the Gen Y crowd. (First game was FF7, First MMO was WOW or EQ and are in teens or early 20's).....
    ....We do not want advantages given out  by 3rd party software. LIsten to the bottom line of what I am saying. Have all the mods you want in EQ and WOW, but a PVP/RvR game where your skill tactics and decision making against other people you cant have a mod because a mod makes things easier for you. if you have even the slightest advantage in pvp you are given a MILE of a headstart.

I guess I'm not getting through to you...

Firstly I'm 34, first MMO was AC1 and I've played plenty since (see my sig) - so that's your generalisation with the one that proves the rule.

As I said I have a bad memory (but enjoyed crafting as well as the usual guff you end up doing in WoW etc) - but this puts me at a disadvantage to those who can recall the best places to gather resources or even daisies if you choose to take that patronising stance.

There is little I can do about my shortcoming other than having paper all about the place, but in this age should I really do using methods dating back generations??  No I think not - that mod was simply an aid.

If you happen to be able to recall everything you've ever encountered and remember where it is then great, bully for you, with the mod it levels the field a little for me.

My point you ask - don't bad all mods, just the ones that allow an advantage in PvP.

thats why wow people should stay in wow and war people should play war. I feel that War appleals to another type of player.

I suppose you don't want them on the same bus or drinking from the same fountains either?
    If you had your way we or rather you would be playing PLMORPGs (People Like Me Online Role Playing Games)

PS "Carebears" are the majority, "we" just dont yell as loudly!

I suppose you don't want them on the same bus or drinking from the same fountains either?
    If you had your way we or rather you would be playing PLMORPGs (People Like Me Online Role Playing Games)

PS "Carebears" are the majority, "we" just dont yell as loudly!

Please, using the "drinking from the same fountain" line on a 30 year old angry black male like myself, kinda holds no water, and im sure its gonna pass WAAAY over the heads of the 16 year old even further.

But to tell you the truth... YES

I want this game for people like ME. You already have EQ WOW and AC2 for all of your cheating, moding, HAx, and Pve centered gaming.Stay in wow if your  a carebear, this game as stated by the dev's is NOT a game for pve and collecting and churning out overly powerful indivual toons... you need to go look into wow/EQ if you want that carebear lifestyle. "People like me" just want one thing, we want someone to give us a "fair one". I want you to go grab a mage and 2 healers and another tank and come battle against me and my 2 wizards and 2 healers and see what happens, and have tactics decide what the outcome will be.

Ever watch the IROC race on TV? Its a race where they take race car drivers from all seperate racing leagues and then they throw them in all identical card made by the same company and let them all race on the track to see who wins by pure skill, luck, and decisions they and their crew make. so do you think they will allow one pit crew to have an automated robot inflate tires to optimum levels and change tires on the pit stops while most of the other crews use the humand mind? Heck no. they leave this race totally up to team skill and standard tools and standard cars that everyone has to use. Anyone getting even the slightest fraction of a second of an advantage can prove to be what seperates finishing first and finishing 7th. PVP moves just as fast as a race.
    now not everyone has to be in this race, there are other races out there for people to compete in, and some people who win alot in the type of race they are usually in claim that the race is a waste of their time. thats fine they can stay where they are at. but for those who have that competitive fire they will usually join the IROC and prove their worth against others.
       Kinda like how Kobe Bryant is the "best" basktball player in the NBA, but  still comes down to Harlem to go up against street basketball phenoms so he can prove his worth without all of the glitz and glamor.

I do not care if this game only draws 10,000 people. DAoC has like 10 servers or something, and the top 3 servers had 2,000 people online at primetime on a weekend, while the smaller servers had 800? well that game was perfect amount of pvp. I played on one of the smallest servers and let me tell you what, 800 people seemed like more than enough on some nights.  WoW has like 200,000 accounts or something, and My server has thousands of people on it. you can keep the 199,000 players if you give me just 1,000 people who like W.A.R and want the challenge of actual player vs PLAYER