Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is great.

BafucinBafucin Member Posts: 276

From Earth & beyond, Anarchy Online then a big jump over to Star Wars Galaxies, Lineage II, Planetside, EvE, RF Online and so on. Even World of Warcraft. I have been around alot. But most of the time I get bored of the games...

But this game (CoV) is great. First of all the people are nice. I have not seen any childish spam over the chat or nOOb talk. Thats something I hate about MMO games today.

The graphics (if you have strong computer) are very, very nice. It's much better looking then WoW. The world also have life. The NPC's walk around, they fight, they run, they talk to YOU, about YOU, YOUR history etc. Real cool.

Missions are NOT the same if you play the right way. Don't use SAME contact all the time. If you mix a little then it's super.

Theres also humor in this game. Something that I like. Not childish, just humor.

The animations is also very nice. Great effects when you fight, fly etc. Very nice.

I give it 8,5 of 10.

Comments

• GrimSkunk2GrimSkunk2 Member Posts: 451
    I am glad you enjoy the game.

I, personnally, LOVE the customization screen- but after that, I find the game lacks a little in content.  The graphics are nice (especially with the Ageia), but I would like a bit more depth and more options to adventure that are not instanced. Mostly, I would like new combat mechanics instead of the classic auto attack. Finally, the one big thing I hate, is that as a villian, I can not group with heros for ANY reason.  I think Villians and Heros should be able to meet up in either location (villian expansion cities and COH cities) and group: think of it in terms of the X-men and Megneto.

-W.

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

I'm a fan of City of Heroes, and I really liked City of Villains.  I agree with the OP about all points, and I often think about returning to play, if it wasn't for all of the other mmorpgs I play, or want to play.

I am not a big fan of instancing and heavy questing, so CoV wore me out after a few months.  If there was more roleplaying and more variety of things to do other than the quests, I would definitely still be playing.  Customization was amazing, though, best I've seen in any mmorpgs so far.

I liked the idea of the villian headquarters/lair.  I understand that now the Heroes can have their own HQ?  I haven't done much PvP, but I think this would be a fun part of the game, I haven't gotten in with a group of pvpers at all, and was too scared to try it alone.

• Blaze323232Blaze323232 Member Posts: 196

why didn't u just post this in the review...i agree CoV is great : )

• harikiriharikiri Member Posts: 71
    you bet CoV is great there's a lot of grinding though but i don't mind.
    you can also check gamersloot.net for cov games, man this game's coool..
  • MrArchyMrArchy Member Posts: 643

I largely agree with the OP, CoH/V are great games.

The only points of contention I have are:

1.) gameplay does get very, very, very repetitive after while, CoV less so than CoH, but most of what you'll do it one of three basic mission types.  This is largely because .........

2.) there is virtually nothing else to do other than combat.  SWG is (or rather, was before NGE) a great example.  A person could play that game for years and never attack anything if they so desired.  The game content was extremely impressive and varied.  In CoV, you go bash stuff.  Every time.  No exceptions.  Crafting is virtually non-existent (yes, they have supergroup bases, but that is a extremely shallow crafting system at best).  The only real non-combat activity is a costume contest (CC) and that has been so overdone (since it is the only non-combat activity) that it no longer holds any interest.

Having said that, I am extremely impressed with CoV.  I have been in MMOs for a while now as well and I think CoV is one of the top 3 games out there (WoW has to be #1, but I'd rate CoV #2).  The game is about being a supervillain and NCSoft is doing a great job of adding that feeling to this game.  Their customer service is great.  Graphics are beautiful, and character customization is very well done.

SWG Veteran and Refugee, Intrepid server
    NGE free as of Nov. 22, 2005
    Now Playing: World of Warcrack
    Forum Terrorist

• tutetute Member UncommonPosts: 299

Once they get their performance issues worked out and add some decent content (Issue 8 but most likely paid expansion) then it will be a good game.  At this point, CoV is not very villainous and didn't really introduce anything new besides MMs and to some extent Stalkers.  As MrArchy, there combat and only combat which gets very repetitive along with the missions.  CoV only introduced a few new indoor maps, beyond those 3-5 new maps, everything else is a re-skin of CoH maps.  There is not much depth to the game and they are only just beginning, after 2 years, to show the effects of what your hero accomplished(changes to KR as an example).  So after all that, in summary, just a very repetitive game compared to many other MMOs.

Also, I have a definite issue with Cust Service as they are non-reactionary, that's not to say they are not responsive as they will gladly send you plenty of emails but when it comes to actually doing something like addressing a problem that was broken in the last issue, forget it.

Its a game that is best played for a month then come back after about 3-4 months or with a release of a new Issue.

• BafucinBafucin Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by tute

Once they get their performance issues worked out and add some decent content (Issue 8 but most likely paid expansion) then it will be a good game.  At this point, CoV is not very villainous and didn't really introduce anything new besides MMs and to some extent Stalkers.  As MrArchy, there combat and only combat which gets very repetitive along with the missions.  CoV only introduced a few new indoor maps, beyond those 3-5 new maps, everything else is a re-skin of CoH maps.  There is not much depth to the game and they are only just beginning, after 2 years, to show the effects of what your hero accomplished(changes to KR as an example).  So after all that, in summary, just a very repetitive game compared to many other MMOs.
    Also, I have a definite issue with Cust Service as they are non-reactionary, that's not to say they are not responsive as they will gladly send you plenty of emails but when it comes to actually doing something like addressing a problem that was broken in the last issue, forget it.
    Its a game that is best played for a month then come back after about 3-4 months or with a release of a new Issue.

Yes I will NOT pay for one more expansion to any game. I had bad luck with MMO games that made that. =)

I think if you are like me, not been playing CoH you might find it better. I don't know whats in CoH etc.

But yes again, CoV need something more. It have a lot of content but I don't find doing missions over and over again that fun. And PvP zones I found so far are waaaaaaaaaaaay too big for me to enjoy them.

So maybe a crafting system and better PvP, missions.