Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why hate on the name?

EltaElta Member Posts: 297

Why is everyone hating on the name in the hype meter?
How is the name blizzard any better than broke ass games?
They probably are a broke group of real MMO fans trying to make there vision come true.
Maybe it's cause I am a little ghetto my self but THXZ for keepin it real BAG

Comments

• ignestiignesti Member Posts: 47

Doesn't the name of the comp sound painfull?

Is it some sort of sodomizing accident/nightmare?

Another stupid comp name is Cornered Rat, what is that about? They fight of anyting and everybody, including subscribers?

I look forward to this game and I hope the summer gets crappy so that I can stay inside playing my brain of in the Beta. Of course alternating between tSoRyzom and Roma Viktor.

• zimquatszimquats Member Posts: 301

I think it refers to a broken donkey.  A pack animal that is expected to endure heavy loads with little or no respect, incentive or  appreciation.

Either that or they are gay first timmers, I dunno.

At least its not Broke Back Games.

True, I have to get my perverted mind together, the poor beast...  to much to carry...

Still a stupid name as it can be misunderstood in such an awfull way

• ladyloreladylore Member Posts: 126

As far as slang goes, "broke ass" generally means that they are POOR.  Instead of saying "his ass is broke", you could just call him a "broke ass". 

Come on now, I know we are all a bunch of geeks here, but surely, is there no one else but me and the OP here who has heard the following terms?:

Dumb Ass
    Fat Ass
    Smart Ass
    Greedy Ass
    Hungry Ass
    Punk Ass
    Crazy Ass
    Sexy Ass
    Broke Ass

None of these statements refer to a handicapped donkey or homosexual activities in any way.  In other words, I think the name Broke Ass Games implies that they make games on a really, really tight budget.

/end ghetto lesson for today

• JondozerJondozer Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by ladylore

As far as slang goes, "broke ass" generally means that they are POOR.  Instead of saying "his ass is broke", you could just call him a "broke ass". 

Come on now, I know we are all a bunch of geeks here, but surely, is there no one else but me and the OP here who has heard the following terms?:

Dumb Ass
    Fat Ass
    Smart Ass
    Greedy Ass
    Hungry Ass
    Punk Ass
    Crazy Ass
    Sexy Ass
    Broke Ass

None of these statements refer to a handicapped donkey or homosexual activities in any way.  In other words, I think the name Broke Ass Games implies that they make games on a really, really tight budget.

/end ghetto lesson for today

Get owned by chicks on the internet much guys?

Ladylore,

Maybe you missed my point perhaps, slang can often have many meanings for the same word or phrase. I was kidding around with this idea, I didnt think anyone would take what I said so seriously. 

However its time for your lesson.  You can interpret slang in many different ways, the  situation often implies the meaning.  Most often slang is not  suck in such a basic understaing and of limited scope as your examples. Your examples are nonobjective.  You forgot: fagit ass,  ass fu**er, Broke back, packed ass, broke baller, or broke ass sexual chocolate (Thx Dave for this). Several examples that blow your theory out of the water and I could list 50 more.  It's up to the reader to interpret the words.  For example, the Dirty Sanchez that I just left on Jondozer face, after I left one on his broke ass girlfriend.

Broke is often know to be unattractive in an extreme way; to be lacking of any good looks. Reference. See Jondozer's BFF, MJ.

Sometimes people even make jokes, (see humor @ the dictionary.com) that get missed completely.

I will provide examples of what im saying.

Many people believe that A broke ass is actually :

1. Concerns a person who is a complete loser or bitch, can pertain to either a person's monetary worth or a person's significance.

2. A redneck/ghetto term for a general loser; a failure at life.

- Man, that kid Ben is such a broke ass.

3. When something is broken beyond belief.

4. The state of being broke

- My dog keeps playing with that broke ass tennis ball.

5. Something of lesser quality. A worse version of something else.

- You look like a broke ass Captain Planet!

6. Britney Spears husband, Kevin Federline.

- Kevin Federline is a broke ass.

7. Your ass is broken.

8. Loves to use women for their money.

9. Expects everything to be given to them.

10. To fart, pass gas, or an event of flatulence.

So what you think the company name could stands for is completely at your discretion.  Words with so many meanings, both slang, literal and proper you can say its whatever you want.

So ladylore, still up for that chili dog?  <wink..wink>

** edit**

Company logo is a donkey

Get worked up on the internet alot, guy?
    You wanna slang ->poop<-?

• PWNFaceKillaPWNFaceKilla Member Posts: 7

My favorite thing about Ruin Online is the lack of an "Enemy Flag" system.
    It allows me to shoot mouthbreathers in the face when they act up.
    Are you talking about something that you haven't seen yet?
    Sounds like their name did it's job.
    Haven't seen you in game.
    I'll be looking.

P.s. I think you are on the wrong site and the above post was meant to be helpful to you.

Wow this discussion blew up right in the face

PWNFaceKilla I'm gonna own your ass in da game, l33t nOOb OMG how did you find your way in to mmorpg? Got lost when when trying to find a CS substitute? 

Info for some of you, there are other people in the world who are not U.S citizens and by that means that we don't understand all of the slang from small town U.S. Hillbilly Moonshine ville.

When a company desides on a name they should be aware of possible interpretations that can be made of the name. Broke ass - as slang can be cool. Broke ass in the non U.S. world can be a terrible comp name but also a cool one

• ladyloreladylore Member Posts: 126

Originally posted by zimquats

Ladylore,

Maybe you missed my point perhaps, slang can often have many meanings for the same word or phrase. I was kidding around with this idea, I didnt think anyone would take what I said so seriously. 

However its time for your lesson.  You can interpret slang in many different ways, the  situation often implies the meaning.  Most often slang is not  suck in such a basic understaing and of limited scope as your examples. Your examples are nonobjective.  You forgot: fagit ass,  ass fu**er, Broke back, packed ass, broke baller, or broke ass sexual chocolate (Thx Dave for this). Several examples that blow your theory out of the water and I could list 50 more.  It's up to the reader to interpret the words.  For example, the Dirty Sanchez that I just left on Jondozer face, after I left one on his broke ass girlfriend.

Broke is often know to be unattractive in an extreme way; to be lacking of any good looks. Reference. See Jondozer's BFF, MJ.

Sometimes people even make jokes, (see humor @ the dictionary.com) that get missed completely.

I will provide examples of what im saying.

Many people believe that A broke ass is actually :

1. Concerns a person who is a complete loser or bitch, can pertain to either a person's monetary worth or a person's significance.

2. A redneck/ghetto term for a general loser; a failure at life.

- Man, that kid Ben is such a broke ass.

3. When something is broken beyond belief.

4. The state of being broke

- My dog keeps playing with that broke ass tennis ball.

5. Something of lesser quality. A worse version of something else.

- You look like a broke ass Captain Planet!

6. Britney Spears husband, Kevin Federline.

- Kevin Federline is a broke ass.

7. Your ass is broken.

8. Loves to use women for their money.

9. Expects everything to be given to them.

10. To fart, pass gas, or an event of flatulence.

So what you think the company name could stands for is completely at your discretion.  Words with so many meanings, both slang, literal and proper you can say its whatever you want.

So ladylore, still up for that chili dog?  <wink..wink>

** edit**

Company logo is a donkey

Zimquats - I took nothing you or anyone else said on this thread "too seriously".  Perhaps you took my response too seriously?  We are talking about video games, slang terms and donkeys.  Did I need to post a smiley or laughing face for you to retain your cool?  You can keep your lesson, I am as well versed in slang as I need to be, thanks. 

But you STILL seem to be missing MY point.  It doesn't matter WHAT you interpret "broke" to mean, so long as you don't interpret it to have any reference to homosexual activities or donkies.  Their logo of a donkey is more than likely just a pun.  I am familiar with all of the usages of "broke" you listed.  Broke = poor is still my favorite, and the most likely one in my opinion.  But I don't need to be right about how they intended to use broke.  I just want for the naive to not think it refers to ass humping or literally, to busted up donkeys. 

By the way - you forget a couple more examples.

Broke Ass Joke - if your first reply in this thread was an attempt at humor as you imply, then it certainly fails into this category.  Sometimes attempted humor is missed simply because it sucks.

And if you really were trying to be funny, the terms Lame Ass, Whack Ass, Weak Ass and Tired Ass also come to mind...

(the emoticon is just in case you take my response, and yourself, way too seriously again)

How have I failed to retain my coo. Im typing at a keyboard for your info and watching the comedy station as per the norm. I dun see how I lost my coo, I asked you If you wanted to get a chili dog, I mean sheettt, That is so cool.

I guess I'm infact the one that needs to use the smiley faces... nope i didnt miss your point I just didnt really give a shiz about it cuz its.... well... wack.  <insert face here><nah><faces are for fags>  What isisnt funny about a dirty Sanchez.  That kinda suff cracks me up.

You say ass cant mean ass.  Even though they have an image of an ass.  And you think someone is going to take this shiz your spouting serious, its a total laugh.  Your Right.  You are the Winner!  How can you think that anyone would take this seriously.

It can mean what you want it to context helps, there are no RULEZ! Broke means WTF ever.  Ass means WTF ever.  Just have some kinda support for it.

However I will agree that your  broke ass joke is a GREAT example of a broke ass joke GRATZZ!!.  I mean who has lost the coo.... missy ladylore I be thinking billy arrr...  I mean I dont recall calling you any nasty names. Forget about 4 of them you called me. <trying to be funny and not serious at all of course, I am sure>   Unless of course you are jon's GF then im sorry.  In more ways than one.

I guess I must have touched a nerve here.  Say what you want about it, but If it quacks like a duck....

**edit**

I dont even see whats up with this, I sacked it to jon not you.  Its to bad that you missed the humor in it all <cry>

• EltaElta Member Posts: 297

Originally posted by ignesti

Info for some of you, there are other people in the world who are not U.S citizens and by that means that we don't understand all of the slang from small town U.S. Hillbilly Moonshine ville.

UMMM Moonshine ville .... well I am from North Vegas (little dublin to be exact) but here's some info for you
    If hollywood doesn't teach you our slang were going to have too ::::24:: how else would you learn the differance between A bucket a jerky, jerk in a bucket , a jerkin bucket and jerkin my bucket

Originally posted by Elta
    If hollywood doesn't teach you our slang were going to have too ::::24:: how else would you learn the differance between A bucket a jerky, jerk in a bucket , a jerkin bucket and jerkin my bucket

Who has time to watch movies when it is so much fun to play online?
    I rather learn online abreviations on wikipedia

• RobDRobD Member Posts: 3

Hmmmm.... Where to begin with this one.

First off, anyone that thinks our company name has anything to do with homosexuality and or broke back mountain has seriously deep seeded homophobic issues and should seek professional counciling.

The term "Broke Ass" refers to the lack of funding that our team endures because we refuse to sell out to some larger entity.  Also, it has duplicity in refering to the fact that we work our asses off and are totally overloaded by the shear scope of the RUIN project.  None of us get paid to do what we do.

So to sum it up here's  a factual breakdown so that nobody will be confused.

Broke Ass refers to being poor and over worked.
        None of us get paid for our work.
        Hence, we continue to be "Broke Ass"

The donkey is meant as a pun.

Do we care if some mouth-breather thinks our company name sounds "gay"?  No.

If a company having an odd name makes you not want to play their games, then I suggest you not play games by the following well known companies;
    • Broderbund
    • UbiSoft
    • Atari
    • Bally-Midway
    • Williams
    • id
    • CapCom
    • etc, etc, etc...
    Get the picture?  Sign up for beta, play the game, it's in a very early stage right now and you as testers have an oportunity to influence how the game grows.  If you see something in the game that looks incomplete, then it probably is and has a revamp planned for it.  Search the forums to see what other testers have to say about the issue, if there's no posts, then make one.

How many companies actually give a rats ass what the testers think?
    Well, we do.

Until next time...

-------------------------------------
    RobD
    BrokeAss Developer
    - Database Systems
    - UI Design
    - C-Script Monkey

Before you whine about wanting chocolate milk instead of what's in your hand, make sure you're not holding a cup of chocolate milk.

RobD you ask what you ate in your sig, I know! Barbed wire! someone woke up on wrong side of the bed this morning.

OK I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings in this way. And that I have had a lot of fun on your behahlf (shame on me).

You are doing a great job with Ruin Online, the concept appeals to me. You can sometimes see me trying to log on or hang around in your chat. But I'm in a GMT+1 zone, far far away from yours.

I felt somewhat struck by your splutter about homophobic issues, chill and don't jump to early conclusions.

This thread is good, I have learned a lot of slang that I use in the office...

Signing off (for now)

Heheheh... Barbed wire... That's good. .  No, I didnt wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, nor did anyone piss in my cornflakes.   Thanks for the props on RUIN.  it's only gonna get better.  As far as the "homophobic issues" go, that was in direct reference to the earlier posts commenting about sodomy and the gay cowboy movie.  It was in no way a slam on anyone that is, was, or plans on swinging towards same gender relations.  Glad you're enjoying the thread.  I just felt a post was needed to clear up the speculation that was beginning to surround our unorthodox company name.

RobD
    BrokeAss Developer
    - Database Systems
    - UI Design
    - C-Script Monkey

Before you whine about wanting chocolate milk instead of what's in your hand, make sure you're not holding a cup of chocolate milk.

• ColaCola Member Posts: 402

Originally posted by RobD
    Heheheh... Barbed wire... That's good. .  No, I didnt wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, nor did anyone piss in my cornflakes.   Thanks for the props on RUIN.  it's only gonna get better.  As far as the "homophobic issues" go, that was in direct reference to the earlier posts commenting about sodomy and the gay cowboy movie.  It was in no way a slam on anyone that is, was, or plans on swinging towards same gender relations.  Glad you're enjoying the thread.  I just felt a post was needed to clear up the speculation that was beginning to surround our unorthodox company name.

Heya RobD,

How bout getn me into beta?

Ive been waitn for my keys, since we are um, well ....you know  .....brothers on mmorpg.com , maybe you can pull a few strings for me

oh and btw, I think Broke Ass games is a wicked name and Im not just saying that :)

Originally posted by RobD
    Also, it has duplicity in refering to the fact that we work our asses off and are totally overloaded by the shear scope of the RUIN project.

Maybe you should go outside and walk around a little.

Yeah Rob, hopping in our support chat for 5 mins at a time CAN be overwhelming for some people.

Originally posted by Jondozer

Maybe you should go outside and walk around a little.
    Yeah Rob, hopping in our support chat for 5 mins at a time CAN be overwhelming for some people.

Mmmmhmmmmm....  Maybe the reason you dont see me is ummmm.... CAUSE YOUR NOT THERE EITHER! :P

RobD
    BrokeAss Developer
    - Database Systems
    - UI Design
    - C-Script Monkey

• StanLee2StanLee2 Member Posts: 51
    While anyone is entitled to name their company whatever they want, I do agree that the name "BrokeAss" seems really immature. Games arent the most mature thing themselves, mind you, but it doesnt instill confidence when giving someone money (should they decide to go pay 2 play).

Nonetheless, getting an MMO off the ground is a herculean feat.

• shortbustershortbuster Member Posts: 6
    At least we know what to expect.....

• PWNFaceKillaPWNFaceKilla Member Posts: 7
    I bet you don't read books because the cover/title doesn't attract your attention.
    Oh, that's right, by your handle I can tell you are a comic book fan.
    It all makes sense now.
    Well considering you obviously haven't played the game and know nothing about the company...
    .Think before you speak.

"Wisdom sometimes comes from the mouths of babes."

• DeletedAcctDeletedAcct Member Posts: 883

Originally posted by PWNFaceKilla
    I bet you don't read books because the cover/title doesn't attract your attention.Oh, that's right, by your handle I can tell you are a comic book fan.It all makes sense now.Well considering you obviously haven't played the game and know nothing about the company...."Wisdom sometimes comes from the mouths of babes."

I downloaded this crap and I will tell you my prediction: BrokeAss Games will still be broke ass in the future if this is the best drivel they can put out. So take your own advice:

• shortbustershortbuster Member Posts: 6

The Hatoraid flows strong in these who's parents pay their mmo habits.

"We’ve opened the doors early because we feel you cannot create a great MMORPG without the main ingredient: Community."

If you can't support an indie game company trying to get an mmo off the ground:

At least get off their nuts?

• soulethersoulether Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Looking forward to this game +)