Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark and Light: Launch

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Dark and Light has announced that their game is now open for players who registered in the Pioneer program. Tomorrow, the game becomes available to Griffoon players, while the game opens to the general public on Monday, June 5th:

Farlan Entertainment, publisher of Dark and Light™, The Largest MMORPG You’ve Ever Seen!, today announced that its massive Dark and Light online game world, at 40,000 square kilometers the biggest Internet game ever, is now completely open to players who registered for the limited Pioneer program. Griffoon players will be admitted on June 3, with all other players admitted on June 5.

Dark and Light pits the opposing forces of Light and Dark against one another in the mystical fantasy land of Ganareth. Players who registered for the advance Pioneer program enjoy a number of skills and privileges directly related to their play in Ganareth, plus two months of free play.

“Everyone on the Dark and Light team would like to extend a huge thank you to our technology partners, BSO Communication and Big World, for their investment in the game and for their tireless efforts in preparation for today,” said Frederic Caille, CEO of Farlan Entertainment. “Our opening has gone off without a hitch, thanks to the contribution of BSO who provided a huge operational bandwidth at launch, and the collaboration with Big World which ensured excellent server stability. We would also like to thank the NPCube team for their limitless devotion in helping make the world of Dark and Light come alive.”

For more on Dark and Light, click here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• KilimKilim Member Posts: 546
    “Our opening has gone off without a hitch, thanks to the contribution
    of BSO who provided a huge operational bandwidth at launch, and the
    collaboration with Big World which ensured excellent server stability." - Frederic Caille, CEO of Farlan Entertainment

Is this guy even talking about the same exact game?

Did this guy even look at the 1st 10 pages of his games Official Website Forums?
    A person of sound mind would just have to look at the 1st few pages of the Official D&L Forums to know that what Farlan has stated is the complete opposite of what is actually true.

Below is just a picture of soemone that put together a collage of the many issues that has been posted in the Official D&L Forums:

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Maybe BSO stand for Bullsh*t Online?

• What a complete and utter joke! I dont think this man is even playing his own game! Or maybe he was in the bathroom while it launched. Oh and btw ---- the main dnl boards all support the "this isnt the real launch" due to all the messed up everythings!!

So when SOG bit it at launch they denied SOG=DNL , later admitting it was a beta of DNL.

So when DNL bit it at launch they denied DNL=DNL, its not the real release. Pffft! Get a clue CEO.

BSO=Bulls**t Online is spot on.

• majochmajoch Member Posts: 599
    Well Farlan is playing SWG and Smedtacular and Julie-O are playing WoW hmmmm. 
  • JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by Kilim
    “Our opening has gone off without a hitch, thanks to the contribution
    of BSO who provided a huge operational bandwidth at launch, and the
    collaboration with Big World which ensured excellent server stability." - Frederic Caille, CEO of Farlan Entertainment
    Is this guy even talking about the same exact game?
    Did this guy even look at the 1st 10 pages of his games Official Website Forums?A person of sound mind would just have to look at the 1st few pages of the Official D&L Forums to know that what Farlan has stated is the complete opposite of what is actually true.Below is just a picture of soemone that put together a collage of the many issues that has been posted in the Official D&L Forums:

Statement is ONLY about server stability but that isnt said in the first line of statement, they hope to confuse people into thinking everything went ok when in reality just about everything went wrong (well servers didnt crash).

I like this Screenshot , so much wrong that it isnt funny.

• Forgot to mention also:

They only allowed 100 players (pioneers) max in on their launch.

Also add that with their screwed up administration, many others were denied their entry because they followed the directions of the email sent to them. Farlan turned all their accounts to regular accounts and thus were denied access. They slowly got it "fixed" over the next 24 hours. However billing is still going through "corrections".

ITs not hard to see, a quick glance of the posts on the day of launch 5/30 and the day after and the day after that show all too well the BS they are trying to lay down.

**oh and lets not forget those that have the ATI card. IT doesnt play well with DNL. And does crash your system. Oh and it doesnt like the defender either. Oh and change all your current configurations that work just fine and dandy in any other game you could possibly wish to play cuz it wont fit what is needed for DNL. I forget all that needs to be deleted, moved, renamed, removed, etc, there are too many to list. Just check the main DNL boards.

• AnagethAnageth Member Posts: 2,217
    I give it a year until it's shutdown.

No longer visiting MMORPG.com.

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I'll be damned.. they actually launched? They just survived a lot longer than I thought they would. An actual launch, I am amazed...

Ok, two weeks until the forums turn into a thermonuclear radiation zone.

Two months until the first signs of shutdown.

About... 53 people will pay the monthly fee for this pile of polygons, max.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I am sure all the big shots over at SOE, Blizzard, Cryptic, and Mythic are just in awe right now. Probably polishing their resumes and selling their company stock because when word of this gets out all their servers will be ghost towns.

~ahem~ see I said that with a straight face. Now will you hire me as your press secretary Mr. Hussein?

I miss DAoC

• CholaynaCholayna Member Posts: 1,604
    infrickincredible!!!!! My brain is just numb .......it wont accept what I just read. The CEO is definitely in some la-la-land and it aint Ganereth! WIthout a hitch?????????? infrickincredible!
  • osiloaosiloa Member Posts: 90
    I am waiting till august to download it. I betad SWG and I can tell you that the problems they had with launch of SWG is about the problems they had with DNL.

• HexcaliberHexcaliber Member UncommonPosts: 171

I too was in SWG’s beta and DNL's stress test and can categorically
    state SWG was in a much better state at launch than dnl. Everyone knows smed stole the SWG server hamster, holding it to ransom for two days, so that he could get a job with SOE.

The real test of
    server and client stability will be on the fifth when the game is open to all. I wager
    Pioneers represent a small proportion of the current subscriber base. The
    stress test had more users than there are pioneers in DNL proper at the moment
    and as every one who was in the stress test can tell you "It all went
    without a hitch "

My Colour Is Vomit green, I puke on the tards with stupid colour sigs. My symbol is ,,!, O ,!,, My enemies are any prat with a colour sig, a meaningless personality test, or a pointless list of games and classes.

Regards Hexcaliber

Originally posted by osiloa
    I am waiting till august to download it. I betad SWG and I can tell you that the problems they had with launch of SWG is about the problems they had with DNL.

I was also SWG beta, however even considering the many problems it had at launch it was a fender bender compared to this high speed 10 car pileup.

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Hexcaliber

I too was in SWG’s beta and DNL's stress test and can categorically
    state SWG was in a much better state at launch than dnl. Everyone knows smed stole the SWG server hamster, holding it to ransom for two days, so that he could get a job with SOE.

The real test of
    server and client stability will be on the fifth when the game is open to all. I wager
    Pioneers represent a small proportion of the current subscriber base. The
    stress test had more users than there are pioneers in DNL proper at the moment
    and as every one who was in the stress test can tell you "It all went
    without a hitch "

Oh I fully expect problems on Launch as well.
    I just hope that they are much faster at swatting bugs then SOE is. I swear there are still bugs in Star wars galaxies that have been there since launch and it seems that they inject more bugs with each new upgrade/publish.
    I think August will be Do or die if I see they have continued to make improvements to the game I will download it, if they don't then I will simply go on to the next MMORPG it is as simple as that. :)
    INfact Aion and Heroes Journey is looking good to me, although they probably aren't going to launch either of them till 2007 or 2008.
  • chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118

I too was in SWG’s beta and DNL's stress test and can categorically state SWG was in a much better state at launch than dnl. Everyone knows smed stole the SWG server hamster, holding it to ransom for two days, so that he could get a job with SOE.

The real test of server and client stability will be on the fifth when the game is open to all. I wager Pioneers represent a small proportion of the current subscriber base. The stress test had more users than there are pioneers in DNL proper at the moment and as every one who was in the stress test can tell you "It all went without a hitch <!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->"

I just hope that they are much faster at swatting bugs then SOE is. I swear there are still bugs in Star wars galaxies that have been there since launch and it seems that they inject more bugs with each new upgrade/publish.
    I think August will be Do or die if I see they have continued to make improvements to the game I will download it, if they don't then I will simply go on to the next MMORPG it is as simple as that. :)
    INfact Aion and Heroes Journey is looking good to me, although they probably aren't going to launch either of them till 2007 or 2008.

Seriously though, if your using SOE's handling of SWG to defend the game, its already a lost cause.  If it even begins to resemble the horror that was SWG, then it is a disaster.  You might as well just type SOE on the side of the box, cause its a gonner.............  

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

Originally posted by chlaos

I too was in SWG’s beta and DNL's stress test and can categorically state SWG was in a much better state at launch than dnl. Everyone knows smed stole the SWG server hamster, holding it to ransom for two days, so that he could get a job with SOE.

The real test of server and client stability will be on the fifth when the game is open to all. I wager Pioneers represent a small proportion of the current subscriber base. The stress test had more users than there are pioneers in DNL proper at the moment and as every one who was in the stress test can tell you "It all went without a hitch <!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->"

Seriously though, if your using SOE's handling of SWG to defend the game, its already a lost cause.  If it even begins to resemble the horror that was SWG, then it is a disaster.  You might as well just type SOE on the side of the box, cause its a gonner.............  

OH I am not using SOE to compare it to all I am saying that it is not unusual for MMORPG's to have a multitude of problems/bugs at launch.I also think that the problems they have had with the first wave of pioneers will not  be the end of their problems/bugs. All I ask is a steady diet of fixes and improvements.
  • ZorbaneZorbane Member UncommonPosts: 529
    People were commenting that bugs that were in the closed beta two years ago were still in the game
  • DinivanDinivan Member Posts: 91
    Still there's a lot of people (believe it) that likes the game as it is now. I won't defend it becuse I cancelled my account after playing SOG, but maybe we should give it a vote of confidence...

• OaksteadOakstead Member Posts: 455
    If you guys are not in he game how can you even post here with any level of real knowledge.

The servers are stable. Lag occurs in the noobie towns when populated by a fair number of players.

They forgot to disable PvP in the beginning kingdoms lol.

Experience gain  is way, way too low for killing mobs but high for killing player characters.

Not all the needed items are for sale by the vendors.

Yet the transportation network (balloons and dragons) is up and running well and this transportation network will affect settlement patterns and strategy.

The scale of this game is great with towns located in hidden valleys to mountain foothills.

Quests are few and basic compared to the size of this place. Most game activity will revolve around clan compeition on the opposite  alignments.

Portal mana fountains are in as are god shrines, banks, crafting etc. By the way pioneers do not get extra crafting points with their SoG inheritance so everyone is equal here.

It seems players will have to craft the items beyond the noobie range so killing mobs right now with noobie weapons is rather slow compared to a players level lol.

God faction is not in yet.

Originally posted by Oakstead
    If you guys are not in he game how can you even post here with any level of real knowledge.

Oakstead the point is about the statement by the CEO that the launch was in his words "flawless". One does not have to be playing to see that it was a far far from flawless. A quick read of the official forums is nothing but endless list of problems. While it is true that everything you listed is ingame, most of it is broken or poorly designed to the point of it may as well even not have been included. This game is ranks up there with Irth Online as the worst MMO ever to launch. Comparing it to SWG and AO is not even appropriate because in those cases the developers had the basic core features correctly. In this one even the most basic system, the combat is fatally flawed and  poorly designed. But then that is a topic for a different thread.

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Oakstead

The servers are stable. Lag occurs in the noobie towns when populated by a fair number of players.

Experience gain  is way, way too low for killing mobs but high for killing player characters.

Yet the transportation network (balloons and dragons) is up and running well and this transportation network will affect settlement patterns and strategy.

The scale of this game is great with towns located in hidden valleys to mountain foothills.

Quests are few and basic compared to the size of this place. Most game activity will revolve around clan compeition on the opposite  alignments.

Portal mana fountains are in as are god shrines, banks, crafting etc. By the way pioneers do not get extra crafting points with their SoG inheritance so everyone is equal here.

It seems players will have to craft the items beyond the noobie range so killing mobs right now with noobie weapons is rather slow compared to a players level lol.

YA I saw that, I hope they put the deity system in soon, this noob killing has got to stop.

YA I saw that, I hope they put the deity system in soon, this noob killing has got to stop.

The newbie spawn zones are supposed to be neutral safe areas, just another bug in the anthill.

I miss DAoC

• It is a total disaster. If this was a MMO released 10 years ago i would understand the crappy FPS. Bugs like when you deposit money in the bank you cant get them back out of the bank and newbie zones not pvp protected are totally unacceptable for a game release for which people paid money for. Quality control ?? never heard of. Makes you think Farlan is 5 to 10 people in total sitting somewhere on that island (reunion its called) having a good laugh with us. Nothing works as promised. Its totally full with bugs (alot of them bugs that with some simple quality control could have been avoided). XP grind like you would not believe it (go read the DNL forums). IF you love to grind till you drop dead this is the game for you (and if you like most of the stuff doesnt work ), if you like to just fly around on a dragon (if you were a pioneer) then yes true some nice cute vieuws. If you have patience and can wait till patch 25369 then yes its a game for you also. Else you want a game where Modern game mechanics exist and where the focus is NOT on XP griding this is not the game for you. They never listened to us and deserve a class action, or just go bust, its a scandal people are allowed to release such garbage. If this was still normal beta it could be accepted. But this is actual release... and this is going the same way this game has been going for the last 8 months so a quickfix will never happen.

Honestly this game is around 40% finished. If you willing to pay to be part of this eternal beta... go ahead most of us who were stupid enough to preorder will bail after our free months.... It was a great idea with great promising graphics and a great setup but total poor execution with no care for the customer...

Originally posted by vorlons

It is a total disaster. If this was a MMO released 10 years ago i would understand the crappy FPS. Bugs like when you deposit money in the bank you cant get them back out of the bank and newbie zones not pvp protected are totally unacceptable for a game release for which people paid money for. Quality control ?? never heard of. Makes you think Farlan is 5 to 10 people in total sitting somewhere on that island (reunion its called) having a good laugh with us. Nothing works as promised. Its totally full with bugs (alot of them bugs that with some simple quality control could have been avoided). XP grind like you would not believe it (go read the DNL forums). IF you love to grind till you drop dead this is the game for you (and if you like most of the stuff doesnt work ), if you like to just fly around on a dragon (if you were a pioneer) then yes true some nice cute vieuws. If you have patience and can wait till patch 25369 then yes its a game for you also. Else you want a game where Modern game mechanics exist and where the focus is NOT on XP griding this is not the game for you. They never listened to us and deserve a class action, or just go bust, its a scandal people are allowed to release such garbage. If this was still normal beta it could be accepted. But this is actual release... and this is going the same way this game has been going for the last 8 months so a quickfix will never happen.
    Honestly this game is around 40% finished. If you willing to pay to be part of this eternal beta... go ahead most of us who were stupid enough to preorder will bail after our free months.... It was a great idea with great promising graphics and a great setup but total poor execution with no care for the customer...

I don't know I am not in the game(won't be atleast untill August) but  I see them making improvements on the game, which is something I NEVER Saw with Star wars galaxies LOL! BUt Alas I am sitting back and waiting that is the very reason I did NOT pre order LOL!

• Originally posted by Oakstead

I AM in game.

False. Lag occurs in newbie toons yes, but also when there are trees or a building in the area also. In some transports, the game will simply crash.

Yes, so when a newbie spawns, sans weapons, armor, class - they are camping the area. Also the aggro on the mobs wasnt properly done so they also get attacked by mobs if there are no pvp players camping the newbies.

False. The higher you go from your level, the lower the xp. Official word is this is to prevent "power leveling" . 0.0 Also, there is no wanted system like promised, the only good for ganking is goth (coin) and those you can simply camp the newbies anywhere. Its not hard to find them either, just look for the player standing there trying out a combat art, or simply just standing there. The xp isnt all that much more at all.

True but also add that only certain levels can buy needed items also. So you need to make an alt, have him - a lowbie - travel all over the place -at the risk of getting ganked and catching the ridiculous 300mile aggro radius of the mobs- to try and find which vendor sells what. Also some are drops but try looting for them with a miss miss miss miss miss empty miss miss miss miss miss empty in 99% of the kills.

False. Balloon will make it crash. Has been a reported bug almost since the opening day. Flight still lags at certain pts, havent determined yet what exactly makes it do it but it does 'drag" then goes along fine. And my system is just fine for the uber l33t requirements for this game. The flight is slower than in SOG.

And nothing in them. Or in the case of the town built over water, it thinks you are swimming so ppl are swimming through the town. Dont stop to talk to the lone quest giver, you will drown. Oh and the cows say hello "yourname". 0.0

False. Quests are messed up. Example; the lake is rancid. What lake? Where? Find the tower..what tower? Talk to a raccoon for info on a ring. WTF?? There isnt enough ppl to even think about a clan competition at this point.

False. Banks arent allowing you to withdraw your money and there is a cap on the amount you can put in. Crafting is unavailable because the ingredients are unavailable. No guide , no how to , sink some pts into something and pray to the Gods (yeh, need to sink some pts in that too) that what you just did wasnt wasted? Oh damn, that didnt work, how about this? Nope, wtf?? GM says you need to be a certain level, but you cant level cuz the xp is so low, it will be 3 months before you can do the next stage in crafting, oh and watch where and when you do when you attempt it. So try to level without good armor and weapons in a system that allows for the lowest amt of xp for leveling all the while you still cant find the correct vendor who sells what you need or the mob hasnt dropped anything you need out of the hundreds you were able to kill but you dont know how you did it because the combat is forked too!

True. The whole combat/pve system is entirely messed up, Regen isnt working properly, target alignment isnt working correctly, any skills dont seem to make a difference, bow is considered melee weapon?????. Its a simple, try this and pray it works, and try to figure out why you died when the health bar didnt move at all.
    Also, you have to add that the leveling from killing mobs is intentionally slow. Hours and hours of killing and you will end up with 7% gain towards xp. Also grouping will not help your xp, it lowers it even more.

True. Players however have the option to add pts in this so many are believing that may help something and in fact have wasted many pts! When in fact, it doesnt even affect you until the higher levels, per one GM, or until you have done something else, per another GM.

That from a player in game.