Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

informal player survey

damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

curious about the people who play online games.  soooo, i'm asking everyone to fill out a quickie survey and get their buds to fill it out as well please. some of the questions might overlap, based upon your answers.

how old are you?

which MMORPGs do you currently play and about how long have you been playing these games?

which MMORPGs have you played and about how long did you play these games?

in an average gaming month, how many hours do you play?

do you have (or have you in the past had) multiple active subscriptions to a single MMORPG?

do you have (or have you in the past had) multiple active subscriptions to multiple MMORPGs?

do you have a spouse / significant other (to include boy/girl friends and same sex relationships)?

are you employed?  is your spouse / significant other employed? (house wife/husband and/or raising kids counts as a yes)

are you involved in any sports/athletics?  if yes, which ones and about how often?

have you ever purchased online gold/items?  if yes, about how often?  (once, all the time, every now and then, once a week, et cetera)

are you in a guild/corporation/clan?

does your guild/corporation/clan play more than one MMORPG at a time?

has your guild/corporation/clan migrated from one MMORPG to another?

do you like pvp? (does your game support it?)

do you like player housing?  (does your game support it?)

do you like crafting?  if yes, what type of crafter(s) do you normally play? (does your game support it?)

do you think craftable items should be on par with the best drop items (or very close to it?)

are you for or against permanent item loss (like if you die, you CAN lose items) and/or item decay (the maximum durability of an item permanently drops a bit even if you repair said item) ?

do you spend more/less/equal time with your online friends as you do with your offline friends?  or, for the most part, are they the same group of people? (your offline friends are the main ones you play games online with)

what was your first MMORPG?

what is the most time (at one sitting) that you will play?  is this a normal amount of time for you, or just on special occassions/the weekend/et cetera?

are you for/against raiding?  do you know what raiding is?

how often do you raid (if your game has this, if not, just say *game doesn't have raiding*)?  how often being both how many days a week and how many hours a week

thanks again for taking your time with this. 

edited to add:  just hit "quote" and you can delete the little bit at the top and just fill in the blanks.  thanks again~!!

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Comments

• TeeBeeNZTeeBeeNZ Member Posts: 259
    Detailed stats have already been collected on all of this, look for the daedalus project. (which I think I spelt wrong)

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

[quote]

How old are you?

which MMORPGs do you currently play and about how long have you been playing these games?
    -semiplaying silkroad Online and ferentus

-EQ/World of Warcraft main ones. EQ 4-5 years, WoW 3-4 months. Next one AC2 about a month. The rest not long at all really.

-Scarcely much at all these days. When I was playing WoW probably about 10+ hours. When I was playing EQ(2 years ago or so, ALOT!)

do you have (or have you in the past had) multiple active subscriptions to a single MMORPG?
    -Hmm not really, Everquest I did try again for a few days but the game had moved on and I wasn't appealed by it anymore.

do you have (or have you in the past had) multiple active subscriptions to multiple MMORPGs?
    -I did have 2 subscriptions on the go when I tried DAoC at the time I was playing EQ. Think that was the only time really.

do you have a spouse / significant other (to include boy/girl friends and same sex relationships)?
    -not at the moment.

are you employed? is your spouse / significant other employed? (house wife/husband and/or raising kids counts as a yes)
    -Student/p/t work.

are you involved in any sports/athletics? if yes, which ones and about how often?
    -no

have you ever purchased online gold/items? if yes, about how often? (once, all the time, every now and then, once a week, et cetera)
    -no

-no

-no

-no

-yes. But I think the pvp in mmorpgs needs to improve and Warhammer will be the game.

do you like player housing? (does your game support it?)
    -no, don't see the point of it.

do you like crafting? if yes, what type of crafter(s) do you normally play? (does your game support it?)
    -not really been a fan of crafting in mmorpgs, A tale in the desert on the otherhand is probably the only one I've enjoyed crafting.

do you think craftable items should be on par with the best drop items (or very close to it?)
    -yes, but I think it should be sort of like a crafter making items of variable quality and potentially making a great item.

are you for or against permanent item loss (like if you die, you CAN lose items) and/or item decay (the maximum durability of an item permanently drops a bit even if you repair said item) ?
    -depends on the game, I mean if you had frequent item drops item loss doesn't matter. Rare item drops I'm not sure. I guess I would be peeved if I bought an item and lost it.

do you spend more/less/equal time with your online friends as you do with your offline friends? or, for the most part, are they the same group of people? (your offline friends are the main ones you play games online with)
    -less as really I've taken a preference to be quite distant to online friends.

-Everquest, though first world Activeworlds.

what is the most time (at one sitting) that you will play? is this a normal amount of time for you, or just on special occassions/the weekend/et cetera?
    -hmm I think I played a few long sessions in WoW, like spending a whole Saturday some weeks.

are you for/against raiding? do you know what raiding is?
    -I raided in EQ but I'm not a fan of raiding. Too much a subordinate, too much specialized a role. And I prefer grouping.

how often do you raid (if your game has this, if not, just say *game doesn't have raiding*)? how often being both how many days a week and how many hours a week
    -Don't raid.

• PraorPraor Member Posts: 519

how old are you?   34

WoW,since release ( subscription ends in 2 weeks not renewing)

Runescape 4 months,SoR 2months,Eq2 1month,Swg 1 month,Coh 1 month,Guild Wars 2 months,Lineage 3months,Lineage 2, 1 year

in an average gaming month, how many hours do you play? 160

do you have (or have you in the past had) multiple active subscriptions to a single MMORPG?  yes

do you have (or have you in the past had) multiple active subscriptions to multiple MMORPGs?  yes

do you have a spouse / significant other (to include boy/girl friends and same sex relationships)?  no

are you employed?  is your spouse / significant other employed? (house wife/husband and/or raising kids counts as a yes)  yes

are you involved in any sports/athletics?  if yes, which ones and about how often?
       yes,weightlifting 4-5 days a week

have you ever purchased online gold/items?  if yes, about how often?  (once, all the time, every now and then, once a week, et cetera) once

are you in a guild/corporation/clan?  no

does your guild/corporation/clan play more than one MMORPG at a time?  n/a

has your guild/corporation/clan migrated from one MMORPG to another? n/a

do you like pvp? (does your game support it?)  yes

do you like player housing?  (does your game support it?)  yes

do you like crafting?  if yes, what type of crafter(s) do you normally play? (does your game support it?)  yes, like it all

do you think craftable items should be on par with the best drop items (or very close to it?)  no

are you for or against permanent item loss (like if you die, you CAN lose items) and/or item decay (the maximum durability of an item permanently drops a bit even if you repair said item) ? for item decay

do you spend more/less/equal time with your online friends as you do with your offline friends?  or, for the most part, are they the same group of people? (your offline friends are the main ones you play games online with)   I have no friends

what was your first MMORPG? Runescape

what is the most time (at one sitting) that you will play?  is this a normal amount of time for you, or just on special occassions/the weekend/et cetera? 4-5 hours is normal

are you for/against raiding?  do you know what raiding is? For

how often do you raid (if your game has this, if not, just say *game doesn't have raiding*)?  how often being both how many days a week and how many hours a week   Have not got into raiding in any game yet

thanks again for taking your time with this.         your welcome

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

• PhelanLPhelanL Member Posts: 99
    how old are you?

-Eve Online, about a year

-SWG, about a year

-no

-no

-no

are you employed?  is your spouse / significant other employed? (house wife/husband and/or raising kids counts as a yes)
    -yes

-yes, rugby... 6 days a week fall and spring

have
    you ever purchased online gold/items?  if yes, about how often?  (once,
    all the time, every now and then, once a week, et cetera)
    -no

-yes

-no

-no

-yes, yes

-don't care, no

do you like crafting?  if yes, what type of crafter(s) do you normally play? (does your game support it?)
    -no, game supports it

-yes

are
    you for or against permanent item loss (like if you die, you CAN lose
    items) and/or item decay (the maximum durability of an item permanently
    drops a bit even if you repair said item) ?
    -for

do you spend
    more/less/equal time with your online friends as you do with your
    offline friends?  or, for the most part, are they the same group of
    people? (your offline friends are the main ones you play games online
    with)
    -less, not the same group

-SWG

what is the most
    time (at one sitting) that you will play?  is this a normal amount of
    time for you, or just on special occassions/the weekend/et cetera?
    -15+ hours, no

-WTF is raiding?

• Azeroth04Azeroth04 Member Posts: 215
    how old are you? 20

which MMORPGs do you currently play and about how long have you been playing these games? none

which MMORPGs have you played and about how long did you play these games? UO - 4 yrs, SWG - 2yrs, Guild wars < 5 months, MxO <2 weeks, WISH - few days, WOW -  1.5 yrs

in an average gaming month, how many hours do you play? at the current rate, about 40 hours

do you have (or have you in the past had) multiple active subscriptions to a single MMORPG? no

do you have (or have you in the past had) multiple active subscriptions to multiple MMORPGs? no

do you have a spouse / significant other (to include boy/girl friends and same sex relationships)? no

are you employed?  is your spouse / significant other employed? (house wife/husband and/or raising kids counts as a yes) at the moment, no

are you involved in any sports/athletics?  if yes, which ones and about how often? yes, golf

have you ever purchased online gold/items?  if yes, about how often?  (once, all the time, every now and then, once a week, et cetera) UO gold 1 time

are you in a guild/corporation/clan? no

do you like pvp? (does your game support it?) yes

do you like player housing?  (does your game support it?) yes

do you like crafting?  if yes, what type of crafter(s) do you normally play? (does your game support it?) yes, weapon and armor crafters

do you think craftable items should be on par with the best drop items (or very close to it?) they should be equal

are you for or against permanent item loss (like if you die, you CAN lose items) and/or item decay (the maximum durability of an item permanently drops a bit even if you repair said item) ? totally for

do you spend more/less/equal time with your online friends as you do with your offline friends?  or, for the most part, are they the same group of people? (your offline friends are the main ones you play games online with) more with my online friends

what was your first MMORPG? UO

what is the most time (at one sitting) that you will play?  is this a normal amount of time for you, or just on special occassions/the weekend/et cetera? about 2 years, i take breaks as often as i can

are you for/against raiding?  do you know what raiding is? yes, yes
  • SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Originally posted by damian7

how old are you? 20

which MMORPGs do you currently play and about how long have you been playing these games? WoW. Going on 3 straight months, 6all together.

which MMORPGs have you played and about how long did you play these games? SWG- about 2 years, FFXI - 5 months, EQ2 - 6 months , CoV - 2 months, AO - 2 days, RFO - 2 days in beta, AA - week in beta, DnDO - 3 days in beta, Lineage 2 - 15 minutes, Guild Wars - 4 months, EVE - 2 months, DaoC - 2 weeks, WoW - 6 months and currently playing.

in an average gaming month, how many hours do you play? 120+ , about 4 hours a day on average, depends on when I work.

do you have (or have you in the past had) multiple active subscriptions to a single MMORPG? No

do you have (or have you in the past had) multiple active subscriptions to multiple MMORPGs? No

do you have a spouse / significant other (to include boy/girl friends and same sex relationships)?  Yes

are you employed?  is your spouse / significant other employed? (house wife/husband and/or raising kids counts as a yes) Yes/Yes

are you involved in any sports/athletics?  if yes, which ones and about how often? No

have you ever purchased online gold/items?  if yes, about how often?  (once, all the time, every now and then, once a week, et cetera) No, never

are you in a guild/corporation/clan? No

do you like pvp? (does your game support it?) No (yes)

do you like player housing?  (does your game support it?) Yes (no)

do you like crafting?  if yes, what type of crafter(s) do you normally play? (does your game support it?) No (yes)

do you think craftable items should be on par with the best drop items (or very close to it?) Yes

are you for or against permanent item loss (like if you die, you CAN lose items) and/or item decay (the maximum durability of an item permanently drops a bit even if you repair said item) ? No to item loss, yes to decay.

do you spend more/less/equal time with your online friends as you do with your offline friends?  or, for the most part, are they the same group of people? (your offline friends are the main ones you play games online with) The only people I feel the need to talk to is co-workers and my GF, and they all play MMO's, GF plays WoW with me.

what was your first MMORPG? SWG

what is the most time (at one sitting) that you will play?  is this a normal amount of time for you, or just on special occassions/the weekend/et cetera? 4+ hours on my days off.

are you for/against raiding?  do you know what raiding is? Against. Yes

how often do you raid (if your game has this, if not, just say *game doesn't have raiding*)?  how often being both how many days a week and how many hours a week Never

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by TeeBeeNZ
    Detailed stats have already been collected on all of this, look for the daedalus project. (which I think I spelt wrong)

is that something on this site?  and it covers this sort of information?

i'm just seeing lots of people typing "oh the majority like this and dislike that" and i figured this would be a shot for everyone to say yay/nay on a lot of things.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• Azeroth04Azeroth04 Member Posts: 215

Originally posted by Spathotan

do you spend more/less/equal time with your online friends as you do with your offline friends?  or, for the most part, are they the same group of people? (your offline friends are the main ones you play games online with) The only people I feel the need to talk to is co-workers and my GF, and they all play MMO's, GF plays WoW with me.

I wish my GF played online games.
  • MaverynthiaMaverynthia Member UncommonPosts: 55

how old are you?

FFXI, Mu Online, Knight Online, FlyFF, GuildWars, Gunbound, SecondLife, Puzzle Pirates (a few aren't RPG my still MMOs)

WoW - I spent 2 months on before it got both boring and buggy
    ROSE Online - I spent...2 hours on, before it got boring
    Ragnarok Online - I spent much time on, before if became P2P and then I went to a private server before it went down for "upgrades" that never came.
    Dofus - I never really quit, but I don't play it anymore. I didn't like how long it took to battle.

*Looks at XFire sig* Depends on if it's finals or not and if i get a vacation or not. Probably however 5-10 hours a day, roughly 20-30 hours a week.

Nope, I only carry one subscription to only one MMO and the rest of the MMOs are Free. Even then I only have one account.

Nope

Yes

Hire me please....I'm 95% to an MFA ;.;
    Though does it matter what my SO does?

Does running around on errands through the city on foot count?

have you ever purchased online gold/items?  if yes, about how often?  (once, all the time, every now and then, once a week, et cetera)

I've purchased some Dubloons with a gift card that had a few bucks left on it. Though that's it. THough I would never buy items from places like IGE and the ilk.

Local game Guilds yes, as for a clan such as WarriorNation that encompases more than one game, no.

See above

See above

Only on PvP games such as Gunbound and Rakion to where it is the main core element.

Yes, though only in Second Life. I have a Mog House but that is more of a storage bin really.

Yes, I'm crafting in the Weaver's guild in FFXI, I used to do Leahterworking in WoW. Beasically anything that is easy to get into that drops from monsters readily.

I think they should exceed it to certain extents

Yes and no. I'm against it when a player dies and durability, I do support however in FFXI when you craft certain items, you can lose it in the crafting.
    Why I don't like it is because sometimes you work you ass off to get an item and then to just lose it on a stupid death or the fact you couldn't get to town in time is just sad.

do you spend more/less/equal time with your online friends as you do with your offline friends?  or, for the most part, are they the same group of people? (your offline friends are the main ones you play games online with)

More time with my online friends.

Ragnarok Online

what is the most time (at one sitting) that you will play?  is this a normal amount of time for you, or just on special occassions/the weekend/et cetera?

I don't have a set time for when I play, I usually will play until I see the sun coming up or I get too sleepy.

I can't say, I've never been in a raid. I tend to not take part in such things. However it was annoying in WoW when you quest NPCs were dead and you had to wait for them to respawn.

how often do you raid (if your game has this, if not, just say *game doesn't have raiding*)?  how often being both how many days a week and how many hours a week

Game doesn't have raiding

• LafitteLafitte Member Posts: 16

how old are you?

WWIIOL, but waiting for Darkfall

UO; DAoC; WoW; SWG; WWIIOL.....played most of these for years off and on.  longest: UO/SWG ~2+yrs

~100 hrs/month

never

yes

yes

yes

yes  fencing 3 times/week for about 15 hrs total

yes  once in UO I bought like 1 mil gold....since then, nope.

yes

no

yes

yes

yes

not specifically...but when I do, its normally not the usual type crafter like armorer or wepsmith

yes

for

I spend about equal time

UO

special occasion maybe 10 hours if time permits

for    and yes I know what it is

Not often and many of the past games I played didnt allow raiding per se

• xsr1000xsr1000 Member Posts: 11
    how old are you?

- None at the moment

- World of Warcraft, since release, more then 1 year
    - Star Wars Galaxies, few weeks
    - Guild Wars, since release

- 360 hours

- No!

- Guild Wars and WoW Oke I know I can't count Guild Wars with this but...

- Sorry?

- Yes, working in a snackbar :) and creating websites.

- Yes, karate, 2 times a week 2 hours a week. Including some random sport and school sport I sport eeeh.... don't got the attitude to count it

have
    you ever purchased online gold/items?  if yes, about how often?  (once,
    all the time, every now and then, once a week, et cetera)
    - NO!

- Not anymore/XSWebsites/Not anymore

- No

- No

- Yes, not playing one at the moment :)

- Yes, not playing one at the moment :)

- Yes, the most unique special profession, not playing one at th emoment :)

- I've no opinion about this

are
    you for or against permanent item loss (like if you die, you CAN lose
    items) and/or item decay (the maximum durability of an item permanently
    drops a bit even if you repair said item) ?
    - Depends

do you spend
    more/less/equal time with your online friends as you do with your
    offline friends?  or, for the most part, are they the same group of
    people? (your offline friends are the main ones you play games online
    with)
    - mwah, more time with offline

- Rubies of Eventide

what is the most
    time (at one sitting) that you will play?  is this a normal amount of
    time for you, or just on special occassions/the weekend/et cetera?
    - 12 hours or something... on very special occassions

- It's fun to do sometimes

how
    often do you raid (if your game has this, if not, just say *game
    doesn't have raiding*)?  how often being both how many days a week and
    how many hours a week
    - 1 time a year

who knew

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

curious about the people who play online games.  soooo, i'm asking everyone to fill out a quickie survey and get their buds to fill it out as well please. some of the questions might overlap, based upon your answers.

how old are you?

EVE (2.5 years)
    L2 (on and off a year)

Sims (2 months)
    DDO (2 weeks)
    AA (2 weeks)
    SWG (on and off a year)
    DAoC (few months)
    EQ2 (on and off a year)

40-60 hours per month I would guess

yes

yes

yes both

no

no

yes

no

no

yes and yes

I do like it but it isnt supported

I like it in small doses

should be better than drops in my opinion

I am all for item loss

about equal time and different groups of people

EQ

Most is 5 hours or so and that is odd ... normally it's 2-3 hours

It has its moments but I do not like it as a required playstyle

I do not raid atm