Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: E3 Preview

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

In our E3 preview, Garrett Fuller learns about Squig Herders, Chaos divinities, combat and more. Mythic showed off their new game in the West Hall and despite being only eight months old, Garrett also had some time to play it. Here is his preview:

Warhammer Online has only been in full scale development for eight months, but the excitement surrounding the game cannot be ignored. The people at Mythic showed us some of the combat system, quest, PvP elements and much more.

Much of what Mythic had to say was covered in our pre-E3 hands-on preview, but during our demo with the team, we caught a glimpse of a more focused scenario.

Warhammer is a dark world with grim storylines, but most of all it does not take itself seriously and adds great humor to the game. With a strong IP on their hands, Mythic has the chance to create an MMO that will capture the brutal silliness of the tabletop game.

You can read the full article here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• BelisariusDLBelisariusDL Member Posts: 125
    DROOOLLL!

• GFullsGFulls Member Posts: 478

HI All.

If I can answer any questions, I'll try my best, post them here.

Garrett

• iduumsiduums Member Posts: 205
    Sounds excellent!  I wonder if they saw the person playing on the xbox360 at all.
  • GFullsGFulls Member Posts: 478

We certainly didn't see them, but there were a lot of doors...

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Originally posted by iduums
    Sounds excellent!  I wonder if they saw the person playing on the xbox360 at all.

One consideration here is that a lot of people for a lot of games were using XBOX 360 controllers plugged into PCs. Age of Conan, for example, did this as well. So, the controller does not mean that they're at the console level.

That said, I would not be surprised if most - if not all - the major next gen games hit the consoles as well.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• HersaintHersaint Member UncommonPosts: 366

Great news. I'm going to be following this MMORPG. I love the RealmvsRealm fighting and the touch of humor. I 'm already imagining my first toon will be a goblin squib herder :)

• JamkullJamkull Member UncommonPosts: 214

Warhammer as a PnP game was great, and I was looking forward to it when a prior company was developing it. but i guess they fell under and Mythic picked it up.. from what i've read so far.  And Mythic is pretty solid for developement.  their DAoC was built around the gamemaster pnp game system and i personally didn't experience any technical problems other than the paperdoll in the inventory screen not showing up when i used an ATI Radeon card. 

But nevertheless, This should be a really nice game. 

• MannfreidMannfreid Member Posts: 8
    only tzeench, i'm pissed... very mad.... i want my Nurgle!
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

I do not understand in what way Warhammer, in either the tabletop miniatures game or the pen-and-paper roleplaying game, does not take itself seriously. Surely, there is a good deal of humour woven into the Orcs, but other than this it takes itself more seriously than EverQuest, and a hell of a lot more seriously than World of WarCraft.

My concern with Warhammer Online remains the same. I think that it is going in the wrong art direction for the Warhammer setting and I fear that it will not take itself seriously enough, making a parody out of Warhammer and giving the impression that it is some sort of satire on it, like Steve Jackson's Munchkin was of Dungeons & Dragons. The more Paul Barnett says about Warhammer Online, the more I want to... to... flick his ear and call his mother a lizard.

Originally posted by Mannfreid
    only tzeench, i'm pissed... very mad.... i want my Nurgle!

I rather expected it, for some reason. Actually, haven't they said this before?

By the way, does anyone know what happened to Mark Jacobs? Is he still on Dark Age of Camelot or otherwise still with Mythic in some way?

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • gnappagnappa Member Posts: 81

Awesome preview. 

Looks like Greenskins all the way for me.  It was a toss up between Orcs and Chaos, but no doubt now.  I can not wait to see this game!

• SerdanSerdan Member Posts: 10
    Nice preview, thanks :) but where is a gameplay screenies? :)
  • GutrunnerGutrunner Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Saerain

By the way, does anyone know what happened to Mark Jacobs? Is he still on Dark Age of Camelot or otherwise still with Mythic in some way?

Mark Jacobs is Lead Design on WAR. He frequently visites the "Warhammer Alliance" forums to answer fan questions and keep people up to date.

You might wanna check out the "developer post tracker" and I'm pretty sure there's a list of all his past posts.
  • flippy02flippy02 Member Posts: 2

I'm a long time Warhammer player, and GW employee.

I cant wait for this game, if they do Warhamemr any justice at all it will be a game that over shadows all other mmo's.

The whole-what-you-see-is-what-you-get is really exciting me. If i come up to an 8 foot tall orc with a 'uge choppa, im going to know that he can probably cut me in half with one swing.

Great article, hopfully a great game.

• NoctiqueNoctique Member Posts: 216
    I've now followed this game for so long, from when it looked like what Warhammer: Mark of Chaos looks like now, to it then shifting to a more MMO version of the game Climax started, then to its death by that company and then to it being finaly by Mythic, At the time it was quoted as "No game has been canned and returned" however, as we know this game is the first to do this.

I enjoyed the read through of the game and how its building up, and the more articals I read I slowly get a hint of just how this game is going to shape up.

So far I've read about 14-15 reviews of the game and all but one have said the game is shaping up to be somthing else, a major contender.
    The one that did'nt called it a reminder of DAoC with a bit of WoW thrown in for how it plays,

How acurate it is is yet to be seen, but I'm more likely to take the others that have told me more infomation than a review like that.

The review here is yet again another one praising the game, and yet again from another person gives another view point, telling us about things he enjoyed on how he played it.

Every one has somthing diffrent to tell me and I soak up each word with excitment.

Thanks for the review, I look forward to this game that could end as "a major contender" I hope it does, a major community having to act as one to fight another would be great.

Die Noctique, By Day and Night

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Originally posted by Silhouette83
    I've now followed this game for so long, from when it looked like what Warhammer: Mark of Chaos looks like now, to it then shifting to a more MMO version of the game Climax started, then to its death by that company and then to it being finaly by Mythic, At the time it was quoted as "No game has been canned and returned" however, as we know this game is the first to do this.

Hmm. No, I would say that Hero's Journey and Middle-earth Online did rather the same thing. In fact, Middle-earth Online did exactly the same thing.

Also, do you not think that Mark of Chaos looks more artistically Warhammer? I do not ask this do be a smart ass, mind you; I am genuinely curious.

Originally posted by Gutrunner

Originally posted by Saerain

Mark Jacobs is Lead Design on WAR. He frequently visites the "Warhammer Alliance" forums to answer fan questions and keep people up to date.

You might wanna check out the "developer post tracker" and I'm pretty sure there's a list of all his past posts.

Ah, I see. I am not one for fansite forums as much as I used to be, and I had not seen his name anywhere in a while. I am registered at the Warhammer Alliance forums, though, and post there occasionally, so I will take a look at that. Thanks.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • VideoXPGVideoXPG Member Posts: 268

Screw both of those Chaos gods, I WANT KHORNE.

Personally, I was hoping Chaos' class system, since there will be 4 classes, 1 class would tie directly into a chaos god. Whereas Migard in DoaC, each class was tied directly to a Norse Mythology god.

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

Great review.

This game looks like it's going to be DAoC, but with eye candy. DAoC is such an awesome game, it's just ruined by really bad animations.

Also, i'm glad to see they're not taking the game too seriously, the less RP Larpy types the better.

-iCeh

• kraidenkraiden Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 638
    I am concerned about how serious they are going to take themselves after reading this article. I dont want happy go lucky game or a cute game. Sure sure you can make ONE realm silly dopey and cute, but I want this game to be far cry from the typical "teen" based game where you have hot scantily clad female charachters, and a bunch of "silly" things you can do like emotes and stuff. If orcs are funny and goblins are funny thats ok, then empie chaos needs to be serious and Darkelves needs to be DEADLY serious.
  • GbakosGbakos Member Posts: 7
    Wow i wasnt a Warhammer fan but this sounds like a pretty cool game. If any of you have played Lineage you know about the chaotic and lawful bars that people attain. I think that there should be some kind of thing in this game like that. Where if you kill all kinds of people you get chaotic points and when people move the cursor over you they can tell that your evil. I just think thats a cool concept. I want to find out more about Warhammer too. The graphics in this game alone make me want to play it. Now the guy from E3 said it would be PvP but does that mean the crazy traditonal jumping around in circles shooting eachother kind of battle or do you think it will be a more relaxed WoW type of game. Either way the game sounds cool. I hope that the world is huge and theres a lot to do. Has anyone heard of the game Tabula Rosa. G4 talked about it on their show once. It sounded like a cool game too. I wonder if its on here...
  • elgidum666elgidum666 Member Posts: 18

Four words:

I

AM

SO

PUMPED!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!